Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM

World Builder

Runes Computer Problems Thread

Latest in my trend of Self-Indulgent Threads

Laptop (Asus Republic of Gamers G7V5) has been dying randomly, it's done this in the past but usually months apart, now it's done it three times in the past week, Hibernate was already disabled when the problem started

I'm not usually doing anything particularly intensive on it either.

Thoughts?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

How do you feel about taking it apart?

Laptops are finicky buggers. Often times, fans will fail or perform sub-optimally because dust and lint and hair creeps in, and isn't easily removed. The only way to clean it is to open it up.

You also may want to check to see if things like the RAM and hard drive connections are firmly seated.

What you describe doesn't sound like a software error, but I fear there may be an issue with your system board, which means you're shit outta luck unless you have warranty.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
How do you feel about taking it apart?

Laptops are finicky buggers. Often times, fans will fail or perform sub-optimally because dust and lint and hair creeps in, and isn't easily removed. The only way to clean it is to open it up.

You also may want to check to see if things like the RAM and hard drive connections are firmly seated.

What you describe doesn't sound like a software error, but I fear there may be an issue with your system board, which means you're shit outta luck unless you have warranty.
Not comfortable taking it apart, nor do I really have a good screwdriver for that, thankfully if it can hold out for a bit longer my dad's got all sorts of tools and he can bring some up, then walk me through how to do the process right.

EDIT:

To be fair though, I checked the fan a few months back and there was zero dirt there, so I'm not sure that's the issue either...

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Not comfortable taking it apart, nor do I really have a good screwdriver for that, thankfully if it can hold out for a bit longer my dad's got all sorts of tools and he can bring some up, then walk me through how to do the process right.

EDIT:

To be fair though, I checked the fan a few months back and there was zero dirt there, so I'm not sure that's the issue either...
I only mentioned the fan bit because I found an enormous clump of crap that had built up behind mine when I opened the lid to do a hard drive swap a while back. It tends to accumulate on the back side of the fan deep under the keyboard where it's not always easy to see.

But checking the other connections seatings is a good idea as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Demon Hunter

What does "dying" mean in this case? Overheating? Random restarts with no error messages? Blue screens (assuming some flavor of windows)? OS freezes require hard restart?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Eternal

Finally, someone else over here has computer problems!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 AM

Eternal

Forgive me for necroing this thread, but I have a very strange problem. The moment when I click play on the Swtor launcher, my entire system freezes, and I have to restart the PC. No error message, no black screen, not even a blue screen of death.

And I can't even get help from Bioware, because I can't yet post on the forums.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 08-14-2013 at 06:34 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Elune

Maybe your PC can't handle the graphics and such? Do you run newer games like Bioshock Infinite without problems?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Maybe your PC can't handle the graphics and such? Do you run newer games like Bioshock Infinite without problems?
Nah, it's EA games being buggy, most likely.

@CoD1: There's a guy who had the same problems who posted on their forums, they gave him the standard response to check if he had the latest graphics-card driver installed. Do you? (I doubt that that is the issue, though. )
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Well, I do have a outdated graphics card(nvidia 8400 gs), but my pc runs games like Skyrim very well. And Skyrim needs a more advanced graphic card than mine, according to game debate.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...%20Scrolls%20V

And also, my graphics card is apparently 14% better than the minimum card required for SWTOR.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...vs-geforce-205

What's frustrating is that my pc just stops. Just like that. I can't get into the game, there is no blue screen of death, there is no black screen, there is just the desktop. I can't move my mouse, I can't click. Complete freeze.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 08-14-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM

SWTOR was able to make my graphics card overheat after some sketchy patches despite running smoothly on maxed settings most of the time. That's why I maintain that it's EA's fault.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 AM

Eternal

I even tried windowed mode. Didn't work. Same result.

Apparently according to Game Debate, I do have minimum system requirements for the game. So, why doesn't it work?

And I can't even post on their forums.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 08-14-2013 at 06:56 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Eternal

I have updated my drivers. And I have also ran FixLauncher.exe.

And Rename which folder? Local, or InstallSWTOR?

Not a very nice start to the game, if I ever manage to play it.

Suppose that I shall have to call a computer expert to my house. And buy a new driver.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
I have updated my drivers. And I have also ran FixLauncher.exe.

And Rename which folder? Local, or InstallSWTOR?
The one in AppData\Local\SWTOR\SWTOR it's called settings.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The one in AppData\Local\SWTOR\SWTOR it's called settings.
It's not there. All I have in that folder is InstallSWTOR, and in that, I have a bunch of files. But no settings folder.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
It's not there. All I have in that folder is InstallSWTOR, and in that, I have a bunch of files. But no settings folder.
I guess none of the settings are created while installing.

I'll install the game again one of these days, let's see if I get the same errors.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Try running the launcher as administrator if it's not already doing so?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So this is a really strange problem affecting my mother's and my own laptops. As I've said before, we're in France, and our laptops are plugged in via adapters. That's pretty much the only commonality: I'm using a computer running Windows 7, she's using a macbook pro on mountain lion. But we both have problems with our laptop touchpads that both really only started flaring up today. They're just... erratic. Mine is clicking places I don't intend to and hers is acting kind of "sticky". Unplugging our computers and having them run on battery power seems to fix the problem, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the European plugs or the current they use in europe, maybe? Has anyone ever heard of this, and can give us some advice on the matter?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
So this is a really strange problem affecting my mother's and my own laptops. As I've said before, we're in France, and our laptops are plugged in via adapters. That's pretty much the only commonality: I'm using a computer running Windows 7, she's using a macbook pro on mountain lion. But we both have problems with our laptop touchpads that both really only started flaring up today. They're just... erratic. Mine is clicking places I don't intend to and hers is acting kind of "sticky". Unplugging our computers and having them run on battery power seems to fix the problem, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the European plugs or the current they use in europe, maybe? Has anyone ever heard of this, and can give us some advice on the matter?
Nah, can't say I've heard of this happening. My sister had a US notebook so she also had to use an adapter, but this never happened. Hasn't happened with our European notebooks either.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Nah, can't say I've heard of this happening. My sister had a US notebook so she also had to use an adapter, but this never happened. Hasn't happened with our European notebooks either.
I've heard it happening on unclean power lines.

Easy test. Plug in a USB mouse and see if you still have the problem when using the mouse. Trackpads are notorious for acting up with dirty power.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
I've heard it happening on unclean power lines.

Easy test. Plug in a USB mouse and see if you still have the problem when using the mouse. Trackpads are notorious for acting up with dirty power.
Didn't bring any USB mice with me.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Didn't bring any USB mice with me.
Then without further testing, I'm going to go with dirty power. It's a known issue track pads have, it's happening under specific circumstances on multiple units.

The only other real test I can suggest is plugging the laptop in somewhere else and see if you get the same problem. It could be that your adapters are not working properly, but I think it's a bit of a specific problem to have both go bad in that specific way at the same time.

Uhhm.. I don't know about newer models because I just don't work on laptops like I used to, but heavy magnetic interference would mess with a track pad as well.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 08-18-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Used a can of compressed air to clean out my laptop fan and now it's stopped working. Unfortunately, my laptop's fan isn't easily accessable and I'd have to basically take it apart entirely. Any ideas? Are there any quick fixes I can do without disassembling it? Should I do it anyway? How much would a laptop repair place charge for this?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Used a can of compressed air to clean out my laptop fan and now it's stopped working. Unfortunately, my laptop's fan isn't easily accessable and I'd have to basically take it apart entirely. Any ideas? Are there any quick fixes I can do without disassembling it? Should I do it anyway? How much would a laptop repair place charge for this?
I've been told that rotating fans manually without the PC on creates static energy that goes right into the mashine and messes up stuff horribly, so to my absolut-minimum-knowledge it may or may not be a problem with the Laptop itself, not the fan. (I assume my dad broke his PC by cleaning the processor fan with a vaccum cleaner.) But with compressed air... maybe the pressure (-> rotating speed) was too much for the poor thing to handle and it just broke somewhere while the laptop is still okay. Either way it's not going to help you much. A workaround for cooling problems that works for my desktop mashine is an ordinary desk fan pointed at the side of the tower. A cooling board may help in the short term but with the limited space inside a laptop i fear it's going to overheat anyways.
General out-of-my-ass-heads up, though: feel free to correct me, i'm probably wrong. I picked that up when my clone set up my PC.

edit: found this promising thread on google: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/...snt-work-help/
Same problem.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 10-10-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
You'll probably find a dust bunny the size of a small mouse jammed in the cavity behind the fan. There's no other way to remove it - you've got to open the case.

It's not that difficult. Small screwdriver and a clean table is all you need. I'll bet someone even has a YouTube walkthrough for your laptop model online.

Figure on about $80 for GeekSquad to do it. Just a wild guess.

Tags
computers, did you restart?, google, realspace, tighten up the graphics