Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 03:25 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
That is NOT standart issue, trooper! Your right boot is too short, the armor not bulky enough and DEAR EMPEROR - FIX YOUR BREATHING GRILL!
It's fine. Remember the armor is just for show, the Troopers drop like flies. ;>
Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
It's fine. Remember the armor is just for show, the Troopers drop like flies. ;>
Unless it's a novel by Timothy Zahn. Then Stormtrooper armor is pretty awesome without it actually contradicting the films.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Banished

Enjoyable, as most of Critic's work is, but he's actually got a few good points there I must admit. Despite my hate for the Prequels, I can't really disagree on any of the points raised infact.....

I always did enjoy the Emperor in the Prequels, even when the direction was clearly poor and over the top. Ian McDiarmid is, and has always been, a fantasticly talented actor. Perfectly cast. Same goes for Obi-Wan/McGregor.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:42 AM

Elune

Yup, Ewan McGregor was perfect as young Obi-Wan.

But funny how most of the scenes he picked were from Episode III. Which was the best of the prequels.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 05-10-2014 at 06:44 AM..
Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Banished

Liam Neeson>>>>>>>>>>>>Ewan.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Liam Neeson>>>>>>>>>>>>Ewan.
I must respectfully disagree - Neeson was a terrible Obi-Wan. His Padme, on the other hand, was quite enjoyable.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
I must respectfully disagree - Neeson was a terrible Obi-Wan. His Padme, on the other hand, was quite enjoyable.
No wonder Anakin fell in love with him.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Banished

Ewan's Obi Wan was pretty much a nobody in EP I beside the Maul fight, Qui Gon Jinn was the main focus.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I actually agree with his reasoning on Hayden Christensen. Because yeah, even good actors were horrible in those movies.

Also she on the Obi-wan and Emperor points.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
I actually agree with his reasoning on Hayden Christensen. Because yeah, even good actors were horrible in those movies.

Also she on the Obi-wan and Emperor points.
I don't think the actors were really horrible, beside a few chessy lines(really not that much) and lack of screen time for their character, actors like August, Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee did a good job.

Even OT had quite a few chessy lines, Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing had difficulty to understand them. But the characters had enough screen time.

There are also very good lines in PT like

Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM

Echo of the Past

Boba Fett might have died in Return of the Jedi now.

Let that sink in.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Boba Fett might have died in Return of the Jedi now.

Let that sink in.
Not dead. He's being devoured by the Sarlacc for one thousand years.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Not dead. He's being devoured by the Sarlacc for one thousand years.
Unless he uses a hat-portal or a curse to escape to the Enchanted Forest or Wonderland. There he may encounter Jafar's Lamp or Rumplestiltskin's Dagger to gain new allies in his nefarious schemes.

http://www.geekwithcurves.com/2013/10/once-upon-time-in-wonderland-mentions.html

Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Banished

In the spirit of being positive (I do try, on rare occasions) - my favourite scene from the original trilogy. Not an easy choice, because there's so many.

The shots, the music, the setting. It's just....wunderbar.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Empire Strikes Back is pretty good, I actually enjoyed Return of the Jedi (and even felt that when viewed with Revenge of the Sith it was somewhat better) and ANH was fun.

Vader's redemption didn't bother me because a.) only luke was at the funeral. Luke may have forgiven him but there's no reason to believe anyone else did. b.) spiritual redemption isn't the same as a legal pardon c.) There were hints in Return that Vader actually despised what he had become, but stayed with the Dark Side because he felt it was too late to redeem himself. Revenge also subtly implies it when Anakin's on Mustafar staring outwards while crying d.) The Darkside does have an effect on the user's mind even if the person has to actually choose to draw upon it or is attracted. e.) Given that Vadar died saving someone he cared for and managed to kill the emperor (thereby allowing the empire to break up due to no real hierarchy) Vader probably would have tried to redeem himself if he hadn't died.

The EU is a complicated beast for me.

The problem from what I heard is that a lot of the EU kept repeating itself. Some warlord of the week would threaten the whole galaxy with some super weapon or some dark jedi would be plotting etc. Han Luke and Leia were the only ones who could save the galaxy etc. They had some ideas but I can understand why some people might want the bantam era gone.

I actually enjoyed the NJO series (the books I read) because a.) they did try something new (a massive overarching story over 4 years is an ambitious undertaking) and b.) ultimately it did feel like star wars. The Evil aliens are disarmed and exiled while steps are taken to ensure that their culture can be remade into something less evil, good ultimately does triumph (despite the hardships the heroes win, the galaxy is united fully, and it feels like the torch is ready to be passed to the new generation. Unfortunately some of the powers that be didn't like it and they completely shat all over that.

Jacen was turned into an unlikeable prick and they try to say that his mentor vergere was a Sith all along (vergere wasn't exactly a nice person but she did have morals and if anyone had actually paid attention they'd realize that her philosophy was still radically different from the Sith (it was more, actions have consequences and matter more than intent, you inevitably have to make a choice because as a jedi you have to make a value of judgement, and that acting like killing's okay because you aren't angry is fucked up etc as well as "the dark side comes from within you but you should still control your emotions and focus more on your actions than your good intentions). The Legacy of the force was basically the prequels rehashed with Jacen as Vader and Luke's homicidal ex girlfriend as palpatine, Fate of the Jedi was meant to fix it but became even darker, Crucible had luke literally learning the same thing Vergere taught Jacen and had the jedi being even more inflexible than the prequel jedi etc.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Banished

Mara Jade is quite cool, too.

Still I think all the post Palpatine Sith are joke before Darth Krayt showed up.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 PM

I don't understand what was wrong with the Prequel Jedi. They seemed to be right about pretty much everything.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlee View Post
I don't understand what was wrong with the Prequel Jedi. They seemed to be right about pretty much everything.
Surpressing emotions rather than handling them constructively is one thing

http://felaries65.livejournal.com/203850.html
http://felaries65.livejournal.com/208256.html#cutid1
Old 05-15-2014, 05:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
They had no issue with slavery and had no problem rescuing the son of Jabba the fucking Hutt. Guardians of truth and justice my ass.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Articles like that keep saying the Jedi were fallible or imperfect. I don't really see that anywhere though. And suppression of emotions, where exactly is that evident? I've seen the films and the cartoon series. I don't see where the Jedi ever actually failed.

Quote:
They had no issue with slavery and had no problem rescuing the son of Jabba the fucking Hutt. Guardians of truth and justice my ass.
Slavery of the clones you mean?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Slavery of the clones you mean?
Slavery throughout the galaxy. Anakin was a slave. And they didn't bother to liberate his mother. Instead they just took their prize and left her to live a miserable life.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:56 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Don't forget commanding child soldiers in case slavery doesn't cover that. It totally does. Fuck the Prequel Jedi. All of them.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Slavery throughout the galaxy. Anakin was a slave. And they didn't bother to liberate his mother. Instead they just took their prize and left her to live a miserable life.
I can't tell if you're serious.

Quote:
Don't forget commanding child soldiers in case slavery doesn't cover that. It totally does. Fuck the Prequel Jedi. All of them.
Child soldiers? Are referring to younglings? You know that people have doubt their children how to defend themselves since there have been people, right?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Child soldiers? Are referring to younglings? You know that people have doubt their children how to defend themselves since there have been people, right?
The typical Clone Trooper is somewhere between 10 and 13 years old, leaning heavily towards 10 due to the immense losses during the war. Later generations of Clone Troopers, bread via Spaarti Cylinders, enter service at the age of one year, barely capable of holding a blaster rifle.

The Jedi started the war with 3 million ten year old soldiers. Younglings at least get their own Light Saber, Magical Fairy Pixy Dust abilities and all the family they need within the Jedi Temple. A clone starts in a tank, get's flesh training, a shitty rifle, paper-armor and is expected to die for a Republic that calls him a unit and doesn't acknowledge him as citizen with rights, and he also does not get paid. And i hear the food is godawful.

And now Disney's Order 66 on the EU has even killed off most Clone Characters by RetGone. Clones get fucked up the ass at every oportunity.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Arch-Druid

the 3 million number never made sense, and the jedi seem to view feeling emotions like pride anger in ANY CIRCUMSTANCES as bad. Look, unrestrained anger and pride are bad. But if you bottle it up rather than handling it constructively you won't know how to handle it, making it harder to actually use emotions properly. Even things like love were seen as bad. Saying that anakin should just let someone he love die is boneheaded in the extreme; yoda might not know about anakin's mom but saying you should let a person you love just perish is…..well stupid

The clones were used because the Jedi had no other options (what were they going to conscript non clones and throw THEM into the grinder?)

Tags
entertainment, kid stuff, star wars