Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-31-2009, 11:03 AM

Elune

Default Thrall's green

OK, another noob question from me. In fact, it's something I haven't even thought about until today. Me and a friend were having this interesting Warcraft discussion and somehow we came to the brown orcs and why they were shunned by the rest of the Horde, the whole demon blood thing and so on. We were going on about Durotan and Thrall when the question struck us. In fact it was brought forth by my bro was listening while reading some manga on his laptop. He suddenly joined: "OK guys, if the original orcs were brown how the hell is Thrall green when he never had any interaction with the blood/was never part of the old Horde? And how is his dad green when he never drank the blood?" It actually came out of the blue, me and my friend stood there for 1 or 2 minutes and didn't know what to say simply because we never thought about it. Then we found an easy way out - "Listen nublet, Durotan had a strong exposure to warlock magic, and even though he never drank the blood, the long time spent in the bloodthirsty Horde changed his skin color from brown to green." Me and my friend both agreed on this theory since we couldn't think of any better explanation and the case was closed. But it kept bugging me... So guys do you have any valid explanation about this? Yes, I know by the time Blizzard created Thrall, they haven't yet come up with the whole "brown orcs before the corruption" thingy, but from a lore perspective how would you justify Thrall's and Durotan's green color? How did their color change to green since Durotan never drank the blood and Thrall wasn't even born on Draenor and never had any contact with warlock/fel magic?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
OK, another noob question from me. In fact, it's something I haven't even thought about until today. Me and a friend were having this interesting Warcraft discussion and somehow we came to the brown orcs and why they were shunned by the rest of the Horde, the whole demon blood thing and so on. We were going on about Durotan and Thrall when the question struck us. In fact it was brought forth by my bro was listening while reading some manga on his laptop. He suddenly joined: "OK guys, if the original orcs were brown how the hell is Thrall green when he never had any interaction with the blood/was never part of the old Horde? And how is his dad green when he never drank the blood?" It actually came out of the blue, me and my friend stood there for 1 or 2 minutes and didn't know what to say simply because we never thought about it. Then we found an easy way out - "Listen nublet, Durotan had a strong exposure to warlock magic, and even though he never drank the blood, the long time spent in the bloodthirsty Horde changed his skin color from brown to green." Me and my friend both agreed on this theory since we couldn't think of any better explanation and the case was closed. But it kept bugging me... So guys do you have any valid explanation about this? Yes, I know by the time Blizzard created Thrall, they haven't yet come up with the whole "brown orcs before the corruption" thingy, but from a lore perspective how would you justify Thrall's and Durotan's green color? How did their color change to green since Durotan never drank the blood and Thrall wasn't even born on Draenor and never had any contact with warlock/fel magic?
Read "Rise of the Horde". That's all I'm gonna say, unless you reply with "I did and it doesn't say anything", to which I post a facepalm pic, and probably one of Dr. House calling you a moron.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:07 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Pretty much that, yeah. Plus, Green orc skin is hereditary, you can't go back to brown.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Read "Rise of the Horde". That's all I'm gonna say, unless you reply with "I did and it doesn't say anything", to which I post a facepalm pic, and probably one of Dr. House calling you a moron.
My bad then, indeed, I never read tho book so I couldn't possibly know what it says on the matter. I'll get to reading it anyway, but can you briefly summarize the explanation here, please?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
My bad then, indeed, I never read tho book so I couldn't possibly know what it says on the matter. I'll get to reading it anyway, but can you briefly summarize the explanation here, please?
Pretty much that the fel magics that turned the orcs green didn't just effect the warlocks; they rubbed on all orcs and even the land. It's why Outland is dying, it's why every orc baby is green. The demonic magics permeated the orcish way of life to a point that it irrevocably altered their DNA.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Pretty much that the fel magics that turned the orcs green didn't just effect the warlocks; they rubbed on all orcs and even the land. It's why Outland is dying, it's why every orc baby is green. The demonic magics permeated the orcish way of life to a point that it irrevocably altered their DNA.
OK, thanks dude! So it's basically pretty much the same as me and my friend's theory that Durotan's exposure to warlock/fel magic changed his skin color and it was translated to his offspring. We were on the right track all along, baby.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Pretty much that, yeah. Plus, Green orc skin is hereditary, you can't go back to brown.
To be fair, Oma, we don't actually know if there is a method for reversing it. It is hereditary, but it is hereditary via Fel mutation. Perhaps at some point the Earthen ring or something will figure out a way to reverse it.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrabel View Post
To be fair, Oma, we don't actually know if there is a method for reversing it. It is hereditary, but it is hereditary via Fel mutation. Perhaps at some point the Earthen ring or something will figure out a way to reverse it.
I hope not.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
For now.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:09 PM

Elune

Once you leave black, you can never come back, as they say in Garadar.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 PM

Elune

Maybe it will turn out to be a recessive gene? Just so far they keep hitting the wrong odds.

Wait reverse that. Maybe it will turn out that brown was turned into a recessive gene versus just eliminated. So slowly more brown orcs will start appearing.

Last edited by Rolandius; 10-31-2009 at 08:17 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Maybe it will turn out to be a recessive gene? Just so far they keep hitting the wrong odds.

Wait reverse that. Maybe it will turn out that brown was turned into a recessive gene versus just eliminated. So slowly more brown orcs will start appearing.
Again, I hope not. That is, unless Orcs and Mag'har start interbreeding. Then I'm okay with it
Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Again, I hope not. That is, unless Orcs and Mag'har start interbreeding. Then I'm okay with it
Well that could be another option.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
OR it could be a mixed gene and when Orcs and Mag'har start interbreeding, the offspring turn the color of baby shit.