Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
BTW, is there any lore behind the heritage armor? I do know you get a letter asking you to go back to your "capital" in order to receive the armor, but is there any lore moment or insight during this quest?
No.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
No.
A pity. I was hoping at least something like when you get your first Artifact PvP appearance, with the leaders of the race coming to salute you in a cerimony or something.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
A pity. I was hoping at least something like when you get your first Artifact PvP appearance, with the leaders of the race coming to salute you in a cerimony or something.
Just Alleria saying "Hew champion come get phat lewt wink wink"
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM

Elune

So the Gorgrond map all but confirms AU orcs as an Allied Race, right? If that's the case, one's gotta wonder - why not go with some of the cooler and easier to pull options like Dragonmaw or MU mag'har instead of more time-travel shenanigans? Seriously, no one asked for this!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
So the Gorgrond map all but confirms AU orcs as an Allied Race, right? If that's the case, one's gotta wonder - why not go with some of the cooler and easier to pull options like Dragonmaw or MU mag'har instead of more time-travel shenanigans? Seriously, no one asked for this!
Eventual popularity aside, nobody asked for previously non-existing Void Elfs either, and personally i've never seen anyone ask for Nightborn either; my understanding was that everyone just groaned about yet another elfish offshoot. And while i've heard of people wanting Highmountain Tauren i think everyone would agree that those should just have been new options for regular Tauren. Same for Light Bad Touch Draenei. Yet, here we are. (Seriously, 4 Allied Races in and we're already 50 percent elf, which isn't going to change with Zandalari MutantElfs.) The Allied Races decisions are a bundle of terrible mistakes.

With some of the decisions lately (Hunter Pets for example) i'm worrying deeply about streight Orcs becomming an Allied Race.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 02-11-2018 at 10:41 AM..
Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I'm hoping beyond hope the Gorgrond map is for some kind of vision-quest/shamanistic stuff into the past MU Draenor. But I'll probably end up disappointed.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

After trying to destroy Azeroth for no apparent reason in Warlords of Draenor, after being spared by the AU Draenei, Grommash Hellscream decides to join the Horde and murder the Alliance for no apparent reason. So, in addition to its Warchief being a Lich King that "serves the Horde", it now also allies with the original main villain of another expansion. Seriously, this is ridiculous. Is anyone really supposed to believe the Horde aren't the villains here with this amazing line-up of benevolent individuals? Just have theses Orcs be Jorin Deadeye's Mag'har form Outland!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Eventual popularity aside, nobody asked for previously non-existing Void Elfs either, and personally i've never seen anyone ask for Nightborn either; my understanding was that everyone just groaned about yet another elfish offshoot. And while i've heard of people wanting Highmountain Tauren i think everyone would agree that those should just have been new options for regular Tauren. Same for Light Bad Touch Draenei. Yet, here we are. (Seriously, 4 Allied Races in and we're already 50 percent elf, which isn't going to change with Zandalari MutantElfs.) The Allied Races decisions are a bundle of terrible mistakes.

With some of the decisions lately (Hunter Pets for example) i'm worrying deeply about streight Orcs becomming an Allied Race.
Honestly, I agree with you. I hate to sound like a broken record but I'll say it again; Allied Races are a mess from the very concept. On one hand, you get "new" races that, quite frankly, are nothing more than glorified customization options for the already existing races (different horn shapes and tails and whatnot could have easily beed added to the character creation screen). On the other, we have races out of left field without any established background or lore. Then, we have races that are different flavor of elf, as mentioned already and quite honestly Nightborne look like Chinese bootleng night elves, to me at least. THEN we have races that the developers poured enough resources into that we can confidently say are their own thing and different enough from the "parent" race (Zandalari, for example, are very different from both Darkspear trolls and night elves so they can't be put into any of the above mentioned categories).

So, in short, Allied Races are not "equal" even to each other. ON TOP of all this, the old races don't even get "special" things like heritage armor or tattooes and stuff. All of this combined makes it seem, to me at least, that Allied Races are a clusterfuck of ideas and Blizzard opted to rush the concept instead of sitting down and giving it a good long fucking thinking to come up with a solid concept to center the next expansion around.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
So, in short, Allied Races are not "equal" even to each other. ON TOP of all this, the old races don't even get "special" things like heritage armor or tattooes and stuff. All of this combined makes it seem, to me at least, that Allied Races are a clusterfuck of ideas and Blizzard opted to rush the concept instead of sitting down and giving it a good long fucking thinking to come up with a solid concept to center the next expansion around.
The rushing is in my oppinion really the major problem here. Not in itself - the ease by with Allied Races can be implemented is intruiging to me since new races are one of my favorite features. In fact i'd preferred the halfassed variant of just adding new customization options - only a single Allied Race so far even remotely justifies being it's own race. The problem is that Blizz rushed them out while still trying to overcomplicate things, and as a result they just used whatever they had laying around instead of doing something more in line with what people actually asked for. The fact that we got them now should deeply worry everyone who wants WoW to be successful. That and holding back the Artifact Weapon quests for Silithus. And the state of the Alpha. Frankly i wouldn't expect this to launch any sooner than their last-possible-day date, and probably with some cut features (of which there is suspiciously little in the first place). My money is on smart AI for Warfronts and a cutdown on the island exploration crap.

Even if we take the Allied Races concept as-is they could have done fantastic things with it. Instead we got three Legion-themed races, one ass-pull, some Zandalari they had laying around (though i admit they look cool - aaaand make me even more worried about streight backed orcs since Zandalari are, essentially, the streight backed troll variant; same for the inevitable Nathanos-style streight backed undead) and another reskin. The Volpera (Vulpera?) are actually the first one i'm legit excited about, if for no other reason than that they're not elfs. (Well, those and streight backed orcs; i'll believe them being a barber shop option when i see it.)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I guess they chose the Iron Horde because they offer way more variety to them in terms of aesthetic and feel. MU Mag'har would essentially just give you brown Orcs, while Iron Horde Orcs would likely give you the option to go black skin (Blackrock), grey skin (Laughing Skull/Burning Blade) or just brown skin (all the other clans) as well tattoos/warpaint (Bleeding Hollow).

I don't like the AU shenanigans one bit, but I can see why they chose them over MU Mag'har.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
I guess they chose the Iron Horde because they offer way more variety to them in terms of aesthetic and feel. MU Mag'har would essentially just give you brown Orcs, while Iron Horde Orcs would likely give you the option to go black skin (Blackrock), grey skin (Laughing Skull/Burning Blade) or just brown skin (all the other clans) as well tattoos/warpaint (Bleeding Hollow).

I don't like the AU shenanigans one bit, but I can see why they chose them over MU Mag'har.
I disagree. Yes, the mag'har skins we have right now are limited, but Blizzard was never shy of retconning a few things. Mag'har could have many skin tones, tatoos, scars and so on. After all, they try to preserve what's left of their culture, and they are formed from many clans.

IMO, this "orc clans" should just be recruiting a lot of clans from MU: Mag'har, Dragonmaw, Blackrock, Shadowmoon, even some fel-tainted. Thus, we could get brown, black, gray, pale and even red skins in a single packagem with tatoos ranging from Bleeding Hollow face paint, Warsong scarring, old Dragonmaw markings and so on.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Treant

Looking at the intro scenario of Gilneas and Zandalar.
The zandalar is much beter and eventhough Gilneas one still needs more work it won't come near, but doesn't have to be an issue as maybe it's more of a build up to an awesome experience.
However, it seems quite telling that the horde one involves attacking the Alliance and the alliance one being purely Humans on Humans.

Seems like the old patterns where alliance gets a mainly human rich lore and character story experience and Horde fighting alliance and more spread nation lore.
So each faction gets their ussual pro's and cons in the content they receive. So probably a complete do over of Garrosh Factionwar?

Quote:
same for the inevitable Nathanos-style streight backed undead) and another reskin.
What's up with Nathanos looks, he looks extremely Gilnean and not pale enough. Does he have a background of being Gilnean originally because i thought he was from Lordearon?

Oh and don't like void elves, their still not high elves and seems more like a profesion like Demon Hunters / Warlocks
They look like emo vampires, which might have abeen a nice allied race / subrace for the Forsaken.
Draenei light theme is a bit meh lorewise, it's more like being blessed with a lasting effect although that's sort of like the sunwell / nightwell thing, but it just feels like any race can get that blessing. But ah well, I dont know as I didn't do that content yet.

Last edited by taelon; 02-11-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Subraces and their transconceptions will never not be clusterfucks of ideas, from a design standpoint.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I disagree. Yes, the mag'har skins we have right now are limited, but Blizzard was never shy of retconning a few things. Mag'har could have many skin tones, tatoos, scars and so on. After all, they try to preserve what's left of their culture, and they are formed from many clans.

IMO, this "orc clans" should just be recruiting a lot of clans from MU: Mag'har, Dragonmaw, Blackrock, Shadowmoon, even some fel-tainted. Thus, we could get brown, black, gray, pale and even red skins in a single packagem with tatoos ranging from Bleeding Hollow face paint, Warsong scarring, old Dragonmaw markings and so on.
Well they could've gone down this road and I hoped they would, but ultimately they didn't. I'd rather just forget the whole alternate universe timeline nonsense, but Blizzard apparently thought that now that it's there we might as well use it and get something out of it.

It's not ideal, but I can live with it.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Well they could've gone down this road and I hoped they would, but ultimately they didn't. I'd rather just forget the whole alternate universe timeline nonsense, but Blizzard apparently thought that now that it's there we might as well use it and get something out of it.

It's not ideal, but I can live with it.
The fact that they went with alpha Grogrond rather than the live one gives me a tiny hope that maybe, just maybe, these won't be AU orcs.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Finally some Drust lore about 27 minutes in. They look human. Apparently most of them were immediately hostile to the new settlers, but it seems a few weren't.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Arch-Druid

Last edited by Asterisk; 02-11-2018 at 09:41 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Loremaster

How does one even exile someone as powerful as Jaina to a specific zone and make it stick?
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

"Marshal Reade, a Loyalist in the Queen's armies"

Uhm, which Queen? And if the Queen refers to Katharine and being a loyalist means being loyal to Jaina...
Old 02-12-2018, 12:40 AM

Chimaera

Apparently Shu-zen has been released on Chinese realms as a reward for purchasing 6 months of subscription time during the Year of the Dog promotion (February 12-25).

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...-Cup-1-DLC-620

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 02-12-2018, 12:43 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
How does one even exile someone as powerful as Jaina to a specific zone and make it stick?
Same thing I was thinking. How can anyone enforce such a thing to a mage? Better yet, to a powerful mage? Jaina if I remember right can freeze small armies. I'm pretty sure she alone could very easily clean the mess Kul Tiras is in.

It's getting too dumb to see thugs and pirates go toe to toe against not only the PC, but also powerful lore characters.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
"Marshal Reade, a Loyalist in the Queen's armies"

Uhm, which Queen? And if the Queen refers to Katharine and being a loyalist means being loyal to Jaina...
He's in Katherine's army and he's loyal to Jaina, seems straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I imagine Jaina's just not resisting currently, this is all pretty painful for her I'd guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Same thing I was thinking. How can anyone enforce such a thing to a mage? Better yet, to a powerful mage? Jaina if I remember right can freeze small armies. I'm pretty sure she alone could very easily clean the mess Kul Tiras is in.

It's getting too dumb to see thugs and pirates go toe to toe against not only the PC, but also powerful lore characters.
Jaina's job was to get Kul'tiras to rejoin the Alliance, attempting to do so with force is not only something she probably wouldn't WANT to do, but something she knows probably wouldn't work.

Chilling in Drustvar while she gets her head together and figures out a way to make her Mom allow Kul'tiras to rejoin the Alliance, either by forgiving her or DESPITE Jaina being part of the Alliance is her best option.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 02-12-2018 at 12:52 AM..
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 AM

Sha of Disappointment

In this expansion: two neutral parties and at least two mortal enemies join the Horde without a hitch. Meanwhile the Alliance has trouble getting it's own member state back.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
In this expansion: two neutral parties and at least two mortal enemies join the Horde without a hitch.
Wrong.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm seeing a huge amount of void elves !! I would not be surprised if they become the most played race of the alliance and along with it the game !!

this brings me to two conclusions!

1) the weepers who were angry because blizz did not give them blood elves were a very vocal minority.
2) the people who were afraid of the population imbalance were in the right thing! if this continues in this way blizz will have to do something

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft