Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 03:05 AM

Elune

Orc Icon (War3) New Character Faces!?!

OK, I was just doing some dailies today when a guildie invited me to do a random heroic, after which he proceeded to invite his friend who play a female troll mage. Anyway, take a look at this screenshot now:

At first glance, just an ordinary day in WoW, right? So far, so good, but take a good look now at portrait of the troll I have selected. Yes, that's right, it's not the generic face we see every time a new character joins the party, it's something different. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen this troll female face anywhere in the game before. Is it a new model for trolls? Is Blizzard hinting at updated character models?

You thoughts guys?

P.S. Sorry for the noobish work with Paint, I was in a hurry to post this and didn't give much attention to editing the names.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:31 AM

Faerie Dragon

Yeah, I saw that too the other day. Not sure what to make of it though as it doesn't really look like a female troll. More like a Male Night Elf, with cheek tusks. It def isn't an existing model, so its something new... the missing link between Elf and Troll?... a really rough looking unfinished female troll?
Old 12-20-2009, 03:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Yeah, I saw that too the other day. Not sure what to make of it though as it doesn't really look like a female troll. More like a Male Night Elf, with cheek tusks. It def isn't an existing model, so its something new... the missing link between Elf and Troll?... a really rough looking unfinished female troll?
Well, to me the face looks quite "finished" or at least much more detailed than what we seen currently in-game, anyway. But my initial thoughts were the same - "What's with the Night Elf face?". I think it's the hair that makes it look like night elf, I dunno. I invited a couple more characters to my group later on and they all had the old ugly generic faces we're used to seeing. So I really don't know what to think of this.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:01 AM

Elune

For some reason, to me the "tusks" don't look like they are exactly where troll tusks usually are found.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
For some reason, to me the "tusks" don't look like they are exactly where troll tusks usually are found.
I wasn't looking for a discussion how anatomically accurate the face is or even whether it's a troll or not; it's a female troll, it's obvious, period. I was actually looking for an explanation for this new portrait. What's the "reason" it was there in the first place and why did I see it? Does it have some hidden meaning? How many people have actually seen different player portraits? Not just trolls, but other races whatsoever?

Any speculations and opinions (not related to aesthetics ) are welcome.

Last edited by Gortrash; 12-20-2009 at 04:39 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 05:48 AM

Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
I wasn't looking for a discussion how anatomically accurate the face is or even whether it's a troll or not; it's a female troll, it's obvious, period. I was actually looking for an explanation for this new portrait. What's the "reason" it was there in the first place and why did I see it? Does it have some hidden meaning? How many people have actually seen different player portraits? Not just trolls, but other races whatsoever?

Any speculations and opinions (not related to aesthetics ) are welcome.

How is it "obvious" that its a female troll? I've never seen that in-game before. Where did you see that? Could be a bogus pic for all we know.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazman View Post
How is it "obvious" that its a female troll? I've never seen that in-game before. Where did you see that? Could be a bogus pic for all we know.
Do you really want me to answer this question?...
OK, because the character is a female troll mage to begin with. So if his race is troll, they won't add the picture of a pig, of course. And the physical similarities are really obvious,yes.

Edit: Are you suggesting i photoshopped this picture just for the shits and giggles mate? No, I didn't. It's an authentic screenshot I took in-game this morning, I only edited out the names and the chat window, I didn't touch anything else.

Last edited by Gortrash; 12-20-2009 at 07:07 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Faerie Dragon

It is pretty interesting. I still get the generic portraits when I group up so it might be just a bug.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

There used to be a glitch where occasionally one race's facial texture would be put on another's model. I'm not sure if this is particularly accurate (I'd need to try it out for myself), but perhaps that's a female troll skin stretched over a night elf model?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
There used to be a glitch where occasionally one race's facial texture would be put on another's model. I'm not sure if this is particularly accurate (I'd need to try it out for myself), but perhaps that's a female troll skin stretched over a night elf model?
Hmmm, that's a plausible explanation, could be this. Although since it never happened me before and I saw it for the first time, I had hopes that it's some "hidden" file of future better-looking more detailed player models. And now you broke my dreams, you meanie!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, that's a plausible explanation, could be this. Although since it never happened me before and I saw it for the first time, I had hopes that it's some "hidden" file of future better-looking more detailed player models. And now you broke my dreams, you meanie!
Hey, dude, I WISH they were putting in new player models, ESPECIALLY female trolls. they look nothing like the male ones!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

tauren faces look so stupid nowadays. the art looks so childish and dinky next to a taunka face. with worgen and goblins getting a face lift now, many of the models that have remained unchanged since release are going to become more and more glaring in their antiquity.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Hey, dude, I WISH they were putting in new player models, ESPECIALLY female trolls. they look nothing like the male ones!
Agree. While we're on the topic, is there even any evidence to make us believe Blizzard will give the players a better looking models with more polygons/details and changed overall visual appearance? Also, since all the racial leaders on the mosaic from the anniversary site have unique models, could we hope they're getting ones in Cataclysm?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Agree. While we're on the topic, is there even any evidence to make us believe Blizzard will give the players a better looking models with more polygons/details and changed overall visual appearance? Also, since all the racial leaders on the mosaic from the anniversary site have unique models, could we hope they're getting ones in Cataclysm?
In an interview Blizzard said that they're considering making new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, but not a model like that. I don't want female trolls to look like male Night Elves with tumor-tusks growing out of their cheeks.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
In an interview Blizzard said that they're considering making new models.
They also said that if they ever do add the new models, they would be optional, as they don't want people to lose the "persona" they built using the existing models. If anything you will see a mix of new and old models if they end up doing an upgrade.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
They also said that if they ever do add the new models, they would be optional, as they don't want people to lose the "persona" they built using the existing models. If anything you will see a mix of new and old models if they end up doing an upgrade.
As much as I can understand people wanting to keep their current appearance for nostalgia reasons or whatnot (I, personally, wouldn't keep my old ugly model if they were to release updated highly-detailed models but meh), that's not a good enough reason to not allow the game graphics to evolve.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
I'd imagine it'd be a toggle. Either all human models would use the old rigging, or you can check a box, load some higher poly models and see the new ones.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
I do not think the default image that shows up if the game can not find a group member's face is a 3D model. I think it is a 2D image (I am not sure, though). For pets it is the seal critter's icon. Odd.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
I'd imagine it'd be a toggle. Either all human models would use the old rigging, or you can check a box, load some higher poly models and see the new ones.
EQ2 did that a long time ago, I heard lots of people didn't like it because anyone that had the toggle on never saw your character as you designed him and instead got different models, making you look different to them. I don't think Blizzard would open that can of worms.

Quote:
As much as I can understand people wanting to keep their current appearance for nostalgia reasons or whatnot (I, personally, wouldn't keep my old ugly model if they were to release updated highly-detailed models but meh), that's not a good enough reason to not allow the game graphics to evolve.
It is not even about nostalgia. Awhile back Blizzard tested out using higher polygon models on one of the PTRs, starting with the human females. The high polygons caused many of them to look "different" with wider noses and eyes, and it caused a big stink on the test boards with people because they lost the look they "chose". Blizzard ended up reverting it back during the next mini-patch because so many people were pissed about the faces changing. This was back in BC.

You may not think it is a good reason, but we chose our looks for a reason. Blizzard has to update the models while retaining the "look" of the characters as much as possible.

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 12-20-2009 at 04:09 PM..
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Pretty sure that's the standard "raceclassgendercombobutimnotnearenoughtoseeyourac tualavatar" face for female troll Death Knights.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:

I find it funny that you blacked out your name next to your character portrait, but didn't black out the name floating over your character (plus, you're using your wow name as a handle for sol )
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 AM

Sentinel Queen

You know that is the generic skin every character gets if they are hit with Mr. T's grenade?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsider View Post
I find it funny that you blacked out your name next to your character portrait, but didn't black out the name floating over your character (plus, you're using your wow name as a handle for sol )
Haha, yeah, lol, I just noticed it. Epic FAIL on my part. But as I said I was in a hurry and didn't pay much attention to all the details.