Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Elune

I think it's because they did a bit too much with the romance and everyone constantly body-shifting home, especially in the first season. It went counter to the core of the show, which was about unqualified people stuck on a malfunctioning, mysterious ship beyond their control in the middle of unexplored space. When it focused on that, it was good (I love episodes like 'time' and 'divided'). However, there were also episodes like 'earth', where it seems the whole destiny plot took a backseat to generic romantic drama.

Basically:
-The tone shift and occasional iffy continuity threw off people who liked the previous stargate series
-The reliance on stargate lore in its concepts threw off people who didn't like the previous stargate series.
-All the focus on rather generic romantic drama threw off people drawn to the sf stuff and concept.
-All the focus on heavy science fiction elements, resource shortages and inter-rivalry friction threw off people drawn to the personal stories.
The show found a bit more of a footing in the second series, but by then it was essentially too late.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

None of you listed The Flash or Brisco County Jr.

Bolvar is disappoint.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
None of you listed The Flash or Brisco County Jr.

Bolvar is disappoint.
Who? What?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Who? What?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post

Til's Hastily Thought-Up List of Good Sci-Fi Shows

Lexx
I would put that on my List of Okay Sci-Fi Shows.

It was enough to keep me interested. I would give it a 2.5/5, as in 50% good. For every good thing the show had, something bad countered it. The show could not decide what it wanted to be. Kind of like Genesis Rising, which also coincidentally used organic ships.

Was it a sex comedy without much sex? Was it a dark comedy with too much goofiness to be dark? Was it some kind of sexless-ish sex drama? I think that while watching it, I expected it to be a comedy with a space opera happening in the background, but I missed the point.

The first season was four movies. The first and the last movies form a coherent story, while the middle two establish Kai's backstory and the series' tone respectively. Then the second season takes the vibe of the second and third movie-episodes and makes a series. Then the third and fourth seasons make it a character-focused drama, then gets increasingly boring until the finale which brought back the awesome of the fourth movie.

I don't know.

Quote:
I don't understand the hate that SG:U gets. Is it predominantly from SG:1 and Atlantis fans that hated the shift in tone?
I'm fairly certain that that was it. Cantus didn't like Stargate except for SG:U. It followed the line of Babylon 5, Star Trek: Voyager, and the newer Battlestar Galactica (and not Stargate). Not necessarily bad, but a radical shift in tone for the Stargate franchise.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 05-09-2014 at 02:54 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Pink hat guy gets it.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Elune

Oh god. Just finished the Peacekeeper Wars Miniseries for Farscape.
I have to say that ending elevates she show even further. I can't remember seeing a more perfect ending in tone and spirit to a show. They outdid themselves. And I bawled like a babe at some parts.

Dhargo dying and the kid being named Lil' D is just too much, I lost it. What a great and sorrowful way to end the show and say goodbye.

Also, just saw THIS:
http://io9.com/the-farscape-movie-is...ing-1565378107

One show that I do NOT get the appeal of, is Dr. Who. That show just feels far too oddball-y and thrown together for my tastes. The humor is pretty on-the-nose and not exactly witty.

Last edited by miffy23; 05-09-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I don't understand the hate that SG:U gets. Is it predominantly from SG:1 and Atlantis fans that hated the shift in tone?

Because I'm not really in the habit of liking shitty shows, and I thoroughly enjoyed SG:U.
It wasn't the tonal shift, because I loved BSG more than I loved SG-1 and SGA, and BSG was a much darker show.

My problems with SGU can basically be summarized into two points:

1) In a show that, at least in its first season, focused primarily on characterization and personal stories, you have to find the characters either likable or compelling. I didn't find them to be either. Whether it was Matthew Scott, The Man with Two First Names; or the fat nerd who was clearly a writer insert; or the rich white girl who served absolutely no purpose whatsoever; or the fan favorite morally ambiguous scientist; or the mini-Katherine Heigl. None of them interested me. And since the first season revolved around the characters and not the plots, I found the season to be completely and utterly boring. To the point that I stopped watching after the season 2 premiere. I eventually went back and watched some of season 2, and by the second half of that it had noticeably improved, but that was too little too late.

2) An unwillingness to embrace their premise. Call it Voyager Syndrome. In Voyager's case, it was a ship far from home that miraculously was in perfect shape at the beginning of each episode, regardless of what had transpired previously. In SGU's case, it's "the wrong people for the job" stuck on their own on the other end of the universe. Except nevermind we have these magic stones that don't even work the same way they did in previous Stargate shows, but I already said nevermind so forget about it. We can use these magic stones to go back to Earth and eavesdrop on Chloe's friends saying mean things about her and we can see that the Colonel's wife is kind of a bitch and OMG! it's General O'Neill! Hi Jack!

I'm making it sound like I hated the show, but I didn't. I just found it terribly dull and a big disappointment.

Quote:
I would put that on my List of Okay Sci-Fi Shows.
I have a soft spot for Lexx. I loved how goofy and camp it was, and the fact that no one else I knew watched it made it feel like it was some secret thing that only I knew about. The fourth season was pretty bad, but I thought the Fire & Water arc of season 3 was genuinely great.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Wow, no one's mentioned Reboot yet?

Reboot is like the only show worth mentioning here.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
I have a soft spot for Lexx. I loved how goofy and camp it was, and the fact that no one else I knew watched it made it feel like it was some secret thing that only I knew about. The fourth season was pretty bad, but I thought the Fire & Water arc of season 3 was genuinely great.
Yeah, but to me almost everything that was really bad about season four started in season three, then they hacked off the good bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post

Hm. It didn't click that it was a sci-fi show.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 05-09-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 11:06 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

I'm really not a sci-fi television show fan, but Stargate SG-1 is my jam.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:10 AM

Eternal

Started to watch Voyager, and honestly, it's full of mediocrity . Considering how awesome Deep Space 9, Tng and Tos were, it is quite disappointing.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:31 AM

Elune

Voyager was the downfall. Mostly due to some pretty dull writing and very bland characters.

It had some decent twoparters, but that's about it.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 AM

Firefly because I don't think anyone has mentioned it.

Tags
entertainment, in spaaaace, space people, star trek, the past, yo way yo