Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Sentinel Queen

I enjoyed Scaramouch in the first episode, but he got old super fast in this episode. The time spent showing us his shenanigans could have been used to show more of Ashi encountering the people Jack has saved.

And he definitely killed that dog to use its body. So, you know, death to him.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
I enjoyed Scaramouch in the first episode, but he got old super fast in this episode. The time spent showing us his shenanigans could have been used to show more of Ashi encountering the people Jack has saved.

Yeah I always find it hard to get into comedy characters that are unrepentant monsters. Like, I want to like him, but I can't.

On the plus side I absolutely loved seeing The Archers and the others again, I hope they're all part of the eventual army the Scotsman reassembles.

Little sad the SAH-MOO-RHAI ended up a bartender but I guess he can handle provisions for the army.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yeah I always find it hard to get into comedy characters that are unrepentant monsters. Like, I want to like him, but I can't.
To be fair, that's arguably what Aku is.

Though to be honest, between his assassins over the years, the various predatory alien races he's called to earth, and more recently the cult that raised Ashi, I'm feeling like Aku himself as the "source of evil" serves more to foster and enable the truly horrific kinds of evil than perpetrate them himself. Those who follow him often seem to be more twisted and depraved than he is, while Aku himself comes across as just being so powerful that he can effortlessly inspire widespread fear and devastation, making indulgence in that sort of vicious and personal malice unnecessary for him.

He's a big, blunt instrument who breaks stuff, then moves on to the next thing, while his servants are the spiteful pricks who spend their time gleefully inflicting suffering and terror upon the surviving victims of his destruction hands-on, day after day, just for the hell of it.

Even the fact that the Emperor was living among the rest of his people as another slave rather than dead or languishing in some sort of special torment for having previously banished Aku makes it seem like Aku might have just forgotten about him once his homeland was ruined and his were people enslaved.

Last edited by ARM3481; 04-23-2017 at 12:32 AM..
Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
To be fair, that's arguably what Aku is.

Though to be honest, between his assassins over the years, the various predatory alien races he's called to earth, and more recently the cult that raised Ashi, I'm feeling like Aku himself as the "source of evil" serves more to foster and enable the truly horrific kinds of evil than perpetrate them himself. Those who follow him often seem to be more twisted and depraved than he is, while Aku himself comes across as just being so powerful that he can effortlessly inspire widespread fear and devastation, making indulgence in that sort of vicious and personal malice unnecessary for him.

He's a big, blunt instrument who breaks stuff, then moves on to the next thing, while his servants are the spiteful pricks who spend their time gleefully inflicting suffering and terror upon the surviving victims of his destruction hands-on, day after day, just for the hell of it.

Even the fact that the Emperor was living among the rest of his people as another slave rather than dead or languishing in some sort of special torment for having previously banished Aku makes it seem like Aku might have just forgotten about him once his homeland was ruined and his were people enslaved.

That's a fair point, I wonder what it is then that rubs me the wrong way about Scaramouche vs. Aku

I think there's also a comment to be made there about how while Aku is made of pure evil, he's almost... impersonal about it. If he really was evil without limit he'd have murdered everything on the planet except for some robots and followers to rebuild the world in his image.
Instead it's more like he took out most major nations that can oppose him but just... let's everything else hang in a state of disjointed anarchy.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That's a fair point, I wonder what it is then that rubs me the wrong way about Scaramouche vs. Aku

I think there's also a comment to be made there about how while Aku is made of pure evil, he's almost... impersonal about it. If he really was evil without limit he'd have murdered everything on the planet except for some robots and followers to rebuild the world in his image.
Instead it's more like he took out most major nations that can oppose him but just... let's everything else hang in a state of disjointed anarchy.
In a way it's kind of like he's sort of like "primordial evil," which makes sense considering his genesis predates ancient history and possibly prehistory as well. Aku's essentially a demon not of this world; mortals and the like (the ones who can't stick him with a sword that actually hurts) are insignificant bugs to him - useful at best, and amusing to squash at worst - so he can't really even empathize enough to comprehend what hurts them most. He just smashes and burns them, enjoying the widespread fear and submission that results from his rampages in a broad sense.

Aku brings general ruin and despair by his own hand, but the worst of him is that he inspires others to commit the sort of meticulous and vile evils you only get from those who are people themselves, comprehend the horror of what they're doing to other people, know and fear what it would be like to suffer it themselves, yet still do it anyway.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:08 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I got some primordial evil for ya right here.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post

Really? I got bored of "Are YOU the friend of Samurai!? Nope, we haven't seen him" pretty fast.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 AM

Eternal

I really liked all those callbacks. The archers, the woolies, the rave people (they even did the same fight-dance Jack did back then), the Samoorai etc. I also enjoyed Scaramouch being back.

Thing's I didn't like:

The Ghost Samurai's end was pretty anticlimactic for having been build up until this point of who or what he is and we didn't get an answer for either question.

Demongo being back for absolutely no reason.

Ashi's bodysuit actually being her burnt skin (which means she was naked this whole time) is kinda...weird.

"Talking " came out of fucking nowhere.

Overall still a good episode but I noticed more flaws than in the previous ones.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Elune

It was ok. Felt like those episodes that replay montages from the whole season. The Scotsman made it clear people are rising up against Aku so it wasn't really needed. I'm more concerned for the future. They set up Jack as a martyr and I wonder if he will get a noble sacrifice bs and have Ashi as his successor to wield the sword. Him going back and defeating Aku may be too cliche but what they're setting up makes it clear he did fail his quest and let his people and family die for nothing and in hellish torment. The world is a shithole anyway so killing Aku in the past will do everyone a favor.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post

The Ghost Samurai's end was pretty anticlimactic for having been build up until this point of who or what he is and we didn't get an answer for either question.

Demongo being back for absolutely no reason.
I dunno, I'm actually wondering... if there's not a connection between these that we'll see later.

Maybe Demongo's been using his abilities to capture souls to try and drive Jack to suicide since beating him in combat isn't possible.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-23-2017, 08:29 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Really tired of Ashii. I mean tara strong is hot and all but i prefer Jack. He is more Badass.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 AM

Elune

Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Banished

It was another ashi episode.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:50 AM

Eternal

I still question the decision of introducing a brand new character that takes up half of the very limited screentime in what is very likely the last season of Samurai Jack.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Elune

Quote:
I still question the decision of introducing a brand new character that takes up half of the very limited screentime in what is very likely the last season of Samurai Jack.
Genndy used as one of the inspirations a dream from his childhood where he and his crush fought monsters in a post apocalyptic world. And one of his early drawings is of an Asian girl similar with Ashi.

The absolute madman.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Genndy used as one of the inspirations a dream from his childhood where he and his crush fought monsters in a post apocalyptic world. And one of his early drawings is of an Asian girl similar with Ashi.

The absolute madman.
Please no
Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Ashi serves a purpose; she helps Jack rediscover his humanity and regain faith in himself even when he's lost almost everything. She helps him reawaken the spark within

She's also not a sue. She's wildly uninformed about the world and her arc is learning to be a better person (compare the ashi of episode 6 to the ashi of episode 3 for instance.)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 AM

Banished

only part i dislike about her is that she takes up too much space
Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 AM

Elune

Jack's VA said the Daughters were covered with magic ooze related to Aku.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:35 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Jack's VA said the Daughters were covered with magic ooze related to Aku.
Gotta source it

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 AM

Banished

Samurai jack was good the first 4 episodes Its kinda meh right now.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 AM

World Builder

Most recent episode was decent but too rushed.

There's always been cartoon physics but the display there with the army was a bit much, even Jack's gotten torn up fighting armies before, though to be fair the cockney-lizardmen seemed less powerful than even the beetle-drones.

The scenes with Jack's introspection felt a bit too drawn out.

Ashi's mom felt out of nowhere and while the fight was...
decent? It felt a bit anticlimactic to have HER come to Ashi along with this random army.

Might've been better to make this three episodes but trim the fat.

One for the flashback of how Jack lost the sword and started getting 'angry jack

One for Ashi defending him while he meditated.

One for Jack meditating and finding it but with less... fluff.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Elune

Probably the weakest episode so far.

Ashi bulldozing an entire army was stupid to say the least.
High priestess out of nowhere. I don't think she's dead. And I just want to see her face.
Jack recovering the sword felt like something he could have done 50 years ago already. Not much impact at all.
The opening was pretty good with Aku being his usual self, but disturbing as hell because I don't like seeing little animals being killed. Kind of ruined my day as I watched it after I woke up.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 AM

The Sun King

Panda

Quote:

Jack recovering the sword felt like something he could have done 50 years ago already. Not much impact at all.
This, unfotunately. After setting up the mysteries about the lost sword and the "shogun" green spirit, both were resolved a bit anticlimactically.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning Redo from start

Why does Aku save Jack when he falls into that sandpit in episode 6? Just so he can fuck with him some more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.

Tags
cartoons, entertainment