Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2016, 09:47 AM

Eternal

I've found myself swinging very much towards DC at the moment. I generally have liked all the Rebirth stuff so far. Case in point is the new Superman and Son of Superman. Superman has never been a character I found particularly interesting and I expected his son to be a brat but the family dynamic between the two and Lois was engaging and I actually found myself likely Jon, the kid.

Plus seeing Lois hop in Batman's Helbat suit and step up was pretty cool. I also think they handle the relationship between Clark and the other Justice League members really well.

Marvel is really losing me with their comics at the moment. Some of their choices seem downright strange and/or dictated by an interest to try and force capitalization of the movies.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:01 AM

World Builder

I can't imagine why they did a second Civil War.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-25-2016, 11:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Elune

To add another butchered attempt on Marvel's ''social justice.'' Mockingbird gets her own book. A SHIELD agent. Ok, she was cool in Spider-Man so let's see what it's about. Male privilege and tampons. Wonderful.

So I read the whole Spider-Man volume so far because it's mildly ok and I wanted a clear picture of the ''Dead no more'' stuff. Not in the mood for black bars so SPOILERS below:

Rhino, Dr Connors, Prowler, Gwen, UNCLE BEN etc. are coming back as clones created by The Jackal. Yes, they're making a second Clone Saga. Also Electro was murdered by the clone of his dead girlfriend who stole his powers and became the new Electro in the Jackal's gang. It's too early to say anything as the event didn't start but so far...I liked it. Jackal's gimmick of bringing people back is handled in a better way than what I saw that happened in the original saga.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Banished

So, i dont read comics or anything like that, but if they wanted a female Thor counterpart couldnt they have kept the sameish story but instead of Mjolnir the main character gets Brisingamen and gets made into "Freya"? Afaik Freya isnt or isnt used much in the Marvel comics

Idk it feels more logical to me to use the actual warrior goddess rather than genderbending a male one

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 09-27-2016 at 09:08 AM..
Old 09-25-2016, 12:01 PM

Elune

Marvel doesn't have a good track record for logical social progression. They're stuck in pandering in the least thoughtful way.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

marvel comics are fine.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
She seems to jump to Orwell mode so fast ! I mean, come on ! An empty case and you're an Hydra deep-cover agent ? And she doesn't even seems to care that Medusa is retaining Ulysses, using him to gain traction, and more importantly, possibly not sharing all his visions. And there is now at least two cases of Ulysses' vision becoming to pass because of actions taken to prevent them, in All New Wolverine and Civil War II : Spiderman. Still, no change from Carol. I hope She-Hulk will hurt her.
It personally didn't strike me as unwarranted reaction as I think that was the first time Ulysses' visions didn't come true. It does look really really bad. But I look at it from Carol's perspective and I completely side with her. Ulysses is giving her the ability to prevent future deaths by acting preemptively, and at least at first it was less ambiguous. The baddies appeared, and heroes were ready for them, making Ulysses a pretty convincing prophet. With Banner, there was only Hawkeye's word to go on so we don't know if that would have played out as it did (but boy, what makes Stark think he has the moral high ground there when he once launched him into space for nearly identical reasons). So we see Carol herself not sure if she is doing the right thing, and looking for assurance from people like T'challa who supports her but at the same time seems ready to condemn her if it turns out she's wrong. But with the empty briefcase, we see the first clear instance of a vision of Ulysses' not coming true. It's worrisome because you can't know if it didn't come true, or if it just hasn't come true yet. So while it's legally and morally reprehensible to continue detaining briefcase lady without tangible evidence, and undoubtedly the most controversial act of the story so far, I believe it was the right thing to do based on Ulysses' track record thus far. So I would definitely stand with Captain Marvel, fully comprehending the controversy and eventual ramifications of an Orwellian state, because Ulysses has proven to have visions reliable enough to prevent future catastrophes, and not taking advantage of that to prevent future loss of life is to me, the greater crime. Unless Ulysses' visions started to become entirely unreliable, I would be completely behind her.

But because I am the reader and not a character I know full well that this is going to backfire in everyone's faces and we'll learn that his visions are being manipulated by sinister forces or something anyway. What troubles me the most is that I haven't seen anybody in the comics mention alternate futures. We've got a few characters who are kind of experts on that.

The Spider-Man and Wolverine deal is kinda ambiguous too if you think about it. I can't remember the guy's name, but even had Ulysses not told Spider-Man about the ex-villain eventually betraying him, it still could have happened differently. The Wolverine situation is a bit different because Logan has motive to kill Gabby as we saw in the last issue with the flashback to his history. SHIELD sending him into a rage wasn't necessarily meant to be the cause of him killing Clone clone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Yes you can. But I'm glad they did, it has made up for the disappointing original one so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
So, i dont read comics or anything like that, but if they wanted a female Thor counterpart couldnt they have kept the sameish story but instead of Mjolnir the main character gets Brisingamen and gets made into "Freya"? Afaik Freya isnt or isnt used much in the Marvel comics

Idk it feels more logical to me to use the actual warrior goddess rather than genderbending a male one
Freyja and Frigga are the same person in the Marvel universe (Thor/Loki's foster mommy and the Odinwife). Loki can genderbend, as he's sometimes a lady but right now he is a young Loki with pubes for a beard. Mjolnir can actually cause transformations, so it could have itself made Thor a woman if Marvel wanted to go that route. Instead, Freyja altered Mjolnir and had something to do with making Jane Foster the new Thor. In the most recent issue, Mjolnir actually transformed itself into a lookalike of Jane Foster in order to keep her identity secure. Original Thor (now just called "Odinson" after giving his name to the new Thor) lost his worthiness in the Original Sin storyline because of something white Nick Fury whispered to him (we still don't know what was said). Odinson then returned to his pre-Mjolnir weapon, a dwarven-forged axe named Jarnbjorn which is sharp enough to pierce Celestial armor. He has recently discovered that Mjolnir from the Ultimate universe has appeared in this universe for some reason.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Comic book store ran out of Godzilla comics...I am sad, very sad.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 PM

Elune

I started (and finished) reading Uber. It's not bad, if very grimdark. Kind of thing that immediately made me think Garth Erneiss. Long story short, the Krauts get Not-Meta/superhumans literally moments before Hitler commits suicide and soundly rout the invading Ruskies. It then becomes one big alternate history arms race as both sides try to push out their respective super soldiers. The only thing that really stops it from being 'superheroes... in WW2!' is that they all have the same bland power, but it's still an enjoyable read.

It also uses a lot of historical domain characters pretty liberally so if that kind of thing turns you off then it probably isn't your cup of tea.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ykcHI
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Civil War II is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
To add another butchered attempt on Marvel's ''social justice.'' Mockingbird gets her own book. A SHIELD agent. Ok, she was cool in Spider-Man so let's see what it's about. Male privilege and tampons. Wonderful.
I don't seem any problems with a female character talking about tampons. That's an absurd complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 PM

Banished

Hail Hydra.

That twist was terrible.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:39 AM

Eternal

Does this mean Starlord measures up to Wolverine?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Right on the very first panel I knew it was Wolverine they were talking about.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I don't seem any problems with a female character talking about tampons. That's an absurd complaint.
It would be like male characters started wondering why no one thinks of how hard it is to have a small raptor. We need more like pic related and not Tamponbird or Hellcat written by a literal slut feminazi.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Elune

You have issues bro.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You have issues bro.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:46 PM

Arch-Druid

Harley is #1 in sales from August.

In fact her sales are even go further than 359,000 copies.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...6/2016-08.html
Old 10-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Freyja and Frigga are the same person in the Marvel universe (Thor/Loki's foster mommy and the Odinwife). Loki can genderbend, as he's sometimes a lady but right now he is a young Loki with pubes for a beard. Mjolnir can actually cause transformations...
According to a quick google search Freyja is a character too. But even if she had aspects of her melded with Frigga and the character didnt exist, adding her would have still been better than to genderbend Thor. It's not that it doesnt make sense from an in-universe perspective, but from the meta perspective it's forced and if Marvel intent was to showcase "strong female" making her a girl temporarily replacing the actual Thor instead of her thing kinda shoots down that point.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:19 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullroarer View Post

Ivy + Harley is like printing money

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Who's the guy in a white suit that says Wolverine is like a riddle?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Best thing they did with Harley was getting her away from the Joker, both in universe and metaphysically.

I'm convinced the entire series with her living in a flat in Brooklyn is a hallucination (to keep the continuity in line with Suicide Squad) but the series has been an enjoyable one.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullroarer View Post

Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Who's the guy in a white suit that says Wolverine is like a riddle?
That's Fantomex
Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
According to a quick google search Freyja is a character too. But even if she had aspects of her melded with Frigga and the character didnt exist, adding her would have still been better than to genderbend Thor. It's not that it doesnt make sense from an in-universe perspective, but from the meta perspective it's forced and if Marvel intent was to showcase "strong female" making her a girl temporarily replacing the actual Thor instead of her thing kinda shoots down that point.
Oh yeah, totally forced. I can't think of any examples from the Marvel/DC diversificationing and the <sarcastic quotations>passing of the torch</ > that has felt natural or genuine. When we didn't know her identity yet, most thought that Fem-Thor would turn out to be Valkyrie or Sif. But in most cases they have won me over. Like Sam Wilson as Captain America feels like it's where he should be, even though Steve Rogers is back and we're doing this duplicate thing where we have 2 Captain Americas, 2 Spider-Mans, and such. Another great example is Amadeus Cho as Hulk, he's a very enjoyable character and the "totally awesome Hulk" has turned out to be really fun.

Tags
avengers, batman, bleedingcool, comic, comic book, comic books, comic con, comics, comix, dark horse, dc bashing, dc comics, graphic novels, image, justice league, marvel, rebirth, spider-man, summers family tree, superheroes, superman, valiant