Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Orb of Frost Baywatch - The South Seas Thread

Is Hiji still canon? Did Zandalar sink completely? How much of Kezan was still salvageable after Mount Kajaro erupted? Who ships Tel'Abim's bananas?

Initially I just wanted to post these questions in the Random Lore Talks thread, but the South Seas have so much left to give, so enjoy your shiny new thread about the trolliest and bestest region Azeroth has to offer!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

South Seas are RIP. Doubt we will ever get to see them in WoW. Between Pandaria and Lost Isles, there's just no room for them anymore. And if they get to happen, I expect to see them half-assed anyway.

Mists of Pandaria should have included Kezan and Zandalar as zones, and made Pandaria smaller, and Legion should have made Broken Isles smaller (like in the original lore) and use the other stuff with new isles.

Kul Tiras should have appeared already. Could have been sunken and part of Vashj'ir, better that than pretending it never existed, or used for PvP instead of Tol Barad, which shouldn't have been given so much attention anyway, being a small irrelevant island and all.

The goblin tutorial should have used Tel Abim instead of the making the Lost Isles from scratch. The Wandering Isle could have used a normal island instead of a gigantic turtle which made no sense.

I guess we could get Nazjatar in the future as a zone, assuming it won't just be a raid or a dungeon, but I really doubt it. The only viable place left in Azeroth is the underworld, revisiting Azjol-Nerub and such.

Wasted potential no matter where you look.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
South Seas are RIP. Doubt we will ever get to see them in WoW.
I think we're going there next.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Arch-Druid

I just expect them to expand individual islands into full expansions like Pandaria and the Broken Isles.

World of Warcraft: King of Zandalar!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 AM

Question

Any Tel'abim theories you guys would like to share? Is it a Kul'tiran colony? The homeland of an undiscovered breed of trolls? A goblin outpost? The place the hozen emigrated from?

Based on the name, I'd say that humans or trolls are the most likely settlers.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I think we're going there next.
The only place left at the South Seas is Zandalar, and if it gets to happen, it will be something like the Broken Isles.

Kind of a jungle expansion with aztec temples and whatever could work, but they need something more on top of that, and I don't know what they could add to it to make it attractive enough.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Any Tel'abim theories you guys would like to share? Is it a Kul'tiran colony? The homeland of an undiscovered breed of trolls? A goblin outpost? The place the hozen emigrated from?

Based on the name, I'd say that humans or trolls are the most likely settlers.

It does sound trolly to me yeah.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Frost

We'll definitely be getting a South Seas expansion in some form eventually - its one of the few big expansion-concepts that hasn't already been made. So Zandalar, Kul Tiras, Kezan, Tel Abim, Nazjatar and some original locations would likely be where we would be zoning. My only question about Nazjatar is whether they would keep it an entirely underwater zone or dredge it to the surface - but I tend to think it would be a mix of both; with some above-ground parts and others below water.

I'm also in the camp that says tinkers are the only class-concept remaining that would be both desirable and feasible. Now that death knights and demon hunters are in-game, tinkers are the only Warcraft 3 unit that has yet to be fully adapted in-game. They also fill a gameplay niche that has yet to be exploited (e.g. turrets, mecha-suits, bombs, robot minions etc) I also don't buy the argument that tinkers will never be playable because we have engineering as a profession - we wouldn't say that monks cannot be a class because we already have inscription. There are more than enough potential mechanics and hooks to make tinkers a unique class of their own. So unless the South Seas adds a couple of new races (which is possible), I would bet tinkers being one of the big features of the region.

Queen Azshara would obviously be the box-set mascot - with water elementals, sea vykruls, trolls, goblins, gnomes and others featuring prominently in the South Seas region.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:13 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Islands and underwater combat are two things that don't work in WoW. I think the "delay" has something to do with that.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Islands and underwater combat are two things that don't work in WoW. I think the "delay" has something to do with that.
What if you add portal hubs to all the islands, instead of just one in Orgrimmar and one in Stormwind?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Elune

I demand a bikini-themed tier!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM

Problemsolver

I'd love to command a ship and a crew in a South Seas expansion, something in the vein of the garrisons/class halls. I've got the title of Bloodsail Admiral and everything. As an Admiral I should command a fleet ships damnit. All I got was a lousy hat and a blouse. But I'm a reasonable guy and will settle for a lone pirate vessel.

Make it happen, Blizzard.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I demand a bikini-themed tier!
Only if the faction leaders receive new models which display said tiers.

All of them.

At any rate, I can't imagine Blizzard would completely ignore the South Seas, so it seems to me like we'll be going there at some point or another. Between all the islands, there's plenty of material to work with.

Maybe instead of class halls or garrisons, we'll get boats to upgrade as we please and take us from island to island.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:24 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

As much as I'd love a tinker class, I really think that Legion will make it so Blizz never adds a class again to the game. The most we can hope for are expanded specs that are only unlocked for the level-span of the expansion (kinda cribbing a bit from GW2 Heart of Thorns I guess.)

We're also, imo, overdue for some new races.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The only place left at the South Seas is Zandalar, and if it gets to happen, it will be something like the Broken Isles.

Kind of a jungle expansion with aztec temples and whatever could work, but they need something more on top of that, and I don't know what they could add to it to make it attractive enough.
There are a few others. If you buy the idea that we're fighting the Old Gods next it could make sense for it to be the islands between Eastern Kingdoms, the Maelstrom, and Pandaria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
We'll definitely be getting a South Seas expansion in some form eventually - its one of the few big expansion-concepts that hasn't already been made. So Zandalar, Kul Tiras, Kezan, Tel Abim, Nazjatar and some original locations would likely be where we would be zoning. My only question about Nazjatar is whether they would keep it an entirely underwater zone or dredge it to the surface - but I tend to think it would be a mix of both; with some above-ground parts and others below water.

I'm also in the camp that says tinkers are the only class-concept remaining that would be both desirable and feasible. Now that death knights and demon hunters are in-game, tinkers are the only Warcraft 3 unit that has yet to be fully adapted in-game. They also fill a gameplay niche that has yet to be exploited (e.g. turrets, mecha-suits, bombs, robot minions etc) I also don't buy the argument that tinkers will never be playable because we have engineering as a profession - we wouldn't say that monks cannot be a class because we already have inscription. There are more than enough potential mechanics and hooks to make tinkers a unique class of their own. So unless the South Seas adds a couple of new races (which is possible), I would bet tinkers being one of the big features of the region.

Queen Azshara would obviously be the box-set mascot - with water elementals, sea vykruls, trolls, goblins, gnomes and others featuring prominently in the South Seas region.
Queen Azshara makes a pact with the Old Gods and her underlings don't like it. Queen Azshara plays the role of Elisande with Naga being both playable and the main focus of a zone similar to Suramar. Suramar was well received so they will be continuing to do more zones along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I demand a Bikini-themed tier!

Is there enough to go on?

Last edited by Mertico; 05-17-2017 at 03:34 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
We're also, imo, overdue for some new races.
Which races would you add in a SS expansion? Zandalari and naga?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Actually something I'd really like to see in a SS expansion, especially since they're already established as living in the region, is an expansion on pygmies. Given them a name that's not racist and expand their culture to more than just some vague metal references. Tell us what the common ancestor they shared with goblins was (trolls).
Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Given them a name that's not racist
I've got 'wildlings' in my note, since they're kinda halflingy anyway.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Pygmies are now Germans with Pickelhauben, U-Boote, Red Barons and piracy!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Which races would you add in a SS expansion? Zandalari and naga?
Aryans and Ubermenschen.

Just kidding. I don't think Naga would work as a race, would fuck up too many mounts.

Personally I like the pattern of one established race and one race out of nowhere being added; playable eredar or worgen, while seeded into the world, were almost created entirely out of whole cloth for TBC and Cata, whereas we all knew what to expect with goblins and blood elves.

For the established race, I would like one variety of troll- if not Zandalari, forest- and I could also see Ogres finally being playable since they are a pretty established maritime power. I'd also like to see playable murlocs, I feel that they've been expanded upon as a society enough with stuff like the Murky quests and Morgl as a hero in Hearthstone. They're basically WoW's mascots and it's surprising they're not playable.

My biggest hope for an "out of left field" race is probably some kind of playable Aqir or N'raqi variant, a race tied as heavily to the Old Gods as dwarves are to the titans. Considering a SS expansion would probably have heavy old god themes, I feel that'd be apt. It's also a little juvenile but I wouldn't be against playable Dragonkin of some stripe, maybe because I've been playing a Dragonborn in D&D some times.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Just kidding. I don't think Naga would work as a race, would fuck up too many mounts.
Yeah, the "let them wrap their tails around the mounts" "solution" doesn't really work for me.

@E&N pattern:
It would probably be best for the Alliance to get the established race this time. Blizzard doesn't really a good track record when it comes to giving less established races the attention they deserve.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:39 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Haste

I personally cannot see any other variant of troll ever being a playable race - it would feel like a wasted opportunity when there are a multitude of unique possible races that have yet to be added to the game. The idea of playable naga is difficult to assess - because there are a few gameplay challenges that would have to be overcome (e.g. how can they use mounts/how will armor fit them?) But it would seem disappointing if a Queen Azshara-expansion failed to deliver on playable naga - so I'm unsure if they could work as a playable race.

Though ogres, of course, are perfectly suitable as a playable race - and although they have no particular association to the South Seas region; all it would take to add them is some original story-telling to appropriately seed them into that expansion's story. Ogres could work any expansion for the same reason, really.

Because Legion already added a new class to the game, it seems unlikely that the next expansion would add another new class too - so if the South Seas really is our next destination as players, then I would bet on some new races being added over another class. Although I still maintain that tinkers are the only remaining class-concept that have any likelihood of being in-game someday.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I want to play as a murloc, though I am afraid that they might get a redesign that is not inspired by their previous murlociness.

Naga can wear shoe textures as a belt currently, I think, but that does not work.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Gold (War3)

I forgot to add Plunder Isle to the list of potential zones, so it could be a good location to level in. As for dungeons/raids of a possible South Seas expansion:
  • Bloodsail Hold
  • Undermine (e.g. a Violet Hold style instance if Undermine proves to be a neutral hub city)
  • Zuldazar/Mount Mugamba
  • Nazjatar endgame raid
  • Gishan Caverns
  • Return to Abyssal Maw
  • Unknown Tel Abim instances/raid
An advantage of going to the Southern Seas over some other location is that it would allow the players to enjoy an expansion that isn't as high-stakes as previous ones. Whereas many previous expansions have the players facing off against the latest existential threat to Azeroth (e.g. Legion and Cataclysm), a trip to the South Seas would be an opportunity to have a more light-hearted adventure while still facing off against some serious foes (i.e. the naga.)

Kul Tiras could be another location for dungeons, but I tend to think it would be a better starting zone for a new Alliance/neutral race.

Last edited by Shaman; 05-17-2017 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: players =/= flayers
Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Elune

Naga are clearly becoming more suited to live on land. The naga brutes were the first step.

Tags
south seas, world of warcraft