Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
Yes, but how did the vast underwater city exist under a landmass for all that time? Did it move too? It all is rather odd, if you ask me.
Well, the closest similar case is the resurfacing of the Broken Isles that were raised up from the seafloor by Gul'dan. Could be the same with Vashj'ir, the Cataclysm was so severe that it pushed Kul Tiras away while at the same time raised Vashj'ir up from deep down the seafloor.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

http://wow.incgamers.com/w/images/th..._locations.jpg

http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/...mpaign_map.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/wo...map-cities.jpg

Its amazing how much the world is changing now. How much has been removed since we started playing in Vanilla or even Warcraft 3.

Kul'Tiras, Broken Isle, Tor'watha, Plunder Isle, Balor, Hiji, Crestfall, The small islands by the plaguelands, the islands by winterspring (not that I consider the WC3 map accurate on the last one)

All since removed. I sort of love how Tol'barad and the like some how moved out of the bay where they have always been and around to the other side of Gilneas.

It's just sort of interesting seeing how many years its taken them to solidify the world map, and they are still messing stuff up. The changes its gone through since warcraft 2 are massive. It would still be nice if they ATLEAST showed us where stuff is finally rather than just leaving it absent without explanation. I mean... we can fly/sail everywhere now... it's about time we found out whats up with places like sargaras's tomb.... they don't need to be IN game yet, but they should be on the map. If they can show us that the Isle of Dread sunk... they should be able to show us the fate of these places as well.

We can justify it ingame by saying that Azeroth had the worst map makers ever back in the day (and thats somewhat true to the accuracy of period real world maps). But by now... based on the level of development... we should know where shit is. Kezan, for example, is in game. We actually get to see what its like, a volcano errupted, it sunk, why isn't it on the freaking map. We are including places like underwater cities these days... so why not a racially important zone for the goblins...

However Zandalar is still on the fucking map, I like to imagine the dialogue over at the blizz offices goes a little like this: "Don't forget Zandalar, that shits so important, we have the include that in every map since Alpha, but not places just off coast the players could logically swim to, have encounted lore/mobs relating to or from, or have even been too recently (Such as Kezan). Make sure you stick it smack dab in the middle just south of the Maelstrom." "But aren't the players going to the maelstrom nowadays" "HUSH YOUR LOGIC! THE ZANDALAR WILL RULE ALL!"

Last edited by Sonneillon; 07-14-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM

Eternal

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...2479/World.jpg

Is that Kezan off the coast of Kalimdor there? The large island. I don't think that was there before.

Oh, and also..looking at this map....If Kul'tiras moved out just a bit it might as well be in Maelstrom.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:

Is that Kezan off the coast of Kalimdor there? The large island. I don't think that was there before.

Oh, and also..looking at this map....If Kul'tiras moved out just a bit it might as well be in Maelstrom.
That island due east of Dustwallow? Looks like Tel'Abim.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:

It's supposed to be the bottom most part of the map I believe, south of the Maelstrom. Just below Zandalar... The one I think you are talking about is Tel Abim. It's apperently important for us to know where our bananas come from... its otherwise unremarkable in game wise and really has little to no reason to be included like Zandalar. Banana's = more important than the Goblin homeland, Home of the Alliance fleets, Location of Sargara's Tomb I could go on.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.wow.com/m...boatroutes.jpg

I guess my big issue with it is I was sort of hoping with flying mounts being included and us traveling under the god damn sea, they would have figured out what Azeroth looks like by now. Specially since they are planning on demolishing parts of it.

I mean, why are they making up new islands (The lost islands) when they havent even dealt with the ones they do have. Lost isles COULD have been Tel'Abim... but no. Instead of finding islands we lost, how about finding islands we fucking knew about already

Last edited by Sonneillon; 07-14-2010 at 10:03 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It's supposed to be the bottom most part of the map I believe, south of the Maelstrom. Just below Zandalar... The one I think you are talking about is Tel Abim. It's apperently important for us to know where our bananas come from... its otherwise unremarkable in game wise and really has little to no reason to be included like Zandalar. Banana's = more important than the Goblin homeland, Home of the Alliance fleets, Location of Sargara's Tomb I could go on.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.wow.com/m...boatroutes.jpg

I guess my big issue with it is I was sort of hoping with flying mounts being included and us traveling under the god damn sea, they would have figured out what Azeroth looks like by now. Specially since they are planning on demolishing parts of it.

I mean, why are they making up new islands (The lost islands) when they havent even dealt with the ones they do have. Lost isles COULD have been Tel'Abim... but no. Instead of finding islands we lost, how about finding islands we fucking knew about already
Well, if it is in fact Tel'abim maybe that means we will be visiting it at some point...I don't see any other reason to add it in. Besides that, it is possible that Blizzard retconned the position of Kezan. Unlikely, but possible. I don't see why else they would randomly decide to include that but lack a bunch of other things.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Well, if it is in fact Tel'abim maybe that means we will be visiting it at some point...I don't see any other reason to add it in. Besides that, it is possible that Blizzard retconned the position of Kezan. Unlikely, but possible. I don't see why else they would randomly decide to include that but lack a bunch of other things.
It is Tel Abim. I remember it labelled as such on WoWWiki, presumably from WoWRPG info.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure, it's been there since Warcraft 3. It was included in the world map as far back as Alpha, still there I believe.

This is a neat map someone made back in TBC from the looks of it.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/wo..._World_Map.jpg

Thats REALLY all they had to do... they didn't have to stick the sunken Highborne city there... I have no idea why they did. Originally it was just south of the Maelstrom as shown at Blizzcon, but you know, deathwing entered through deathwings scar back then.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM

Eternal

If Blizzard were smart they would just have made the Lost Isles into Tel Abim.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Eternal

Looking at that player-made map again is startling. Kul'tiras is (or was) in almost the same place as Vash'jir and a similar shape and size. I just find it all very odd. Maybe they will explain it in quests in Vash'jir.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Looking at that player-made map again is startling. Kul'tiras is (or was) in almost the same place as Vash'jir and a similar shape and size. I just find it all very odd. Maybe they will explain it in quests in Vash'jir.
Their are some sunken ships in the kelp forest, but other then that theres nothing Kul'tirasy about it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Elune

Some of it still doesn't make sense though. If tectonic plates moved an island, how could it also raise something from the seafloor into the same spot? The tectonic plate was there in the first place, so how could you have some city on the seafloor when there wasn't a seafloor there.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Some of it still doesn't make sense though. If tectonic plates moved an island, how could it also raise something from the seafloor into the same spot? The tectonic plate was there in the first place, so how could you have some city on the seafloor when there wasn't a seafloor there.
Of course there was a seafloor there, and Vash'jir wasn't raised from the seafloor. It was always there, only difference is that now we know it's there and can access it, so it shows up on our maps.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
Of course there was a seafloor there, and Vash'jir wasn't raised from the seafloor. It was always there, only difference is that now we know it's there and can access it, so it shows up on our maps.
Explain that one. You had an island... which had a seafloor under it... with a city there?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Explain that one. You had an island... which had a seafloor under it... with a city there?
Gotta agree... islands tend not to... float... specially with a massive fortress city on top. Maybe the whole plate slid north... and some how pulled the other islands out of the bay with it....
Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Gotta agree... islands tend not to... float... specially with a massive fortress city on top. Maybe the whole plate slid north... and some how pulled the other islands out of the bay with it....
Glad someone sees... what I see. I don't think it slid north though... since the island was said... by Blizzard... too probably have gone into the ocean west.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
What island had the seafloor under it? What the hell are you talking about?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
What island had the seafloor under it? What the hell are you talking about?
Someone thought that Vash'jir was under the island, and so rose up when the island moved.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Someone thought that Vash'jir was under the island, and so rose up when the island moved.
Pulled out of the bay does not mean it got moved upwards, it means it got moved westwards. Of the bay means it is no longer in the bay area.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Pulled out of the bay does not mean it got moved upwards, it means it got moved westwards. Of the bay means it is no longer in the bay area.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Too much baby....
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Too much baby....
I will fix it.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Keeper of the Grove

One thing about the new map, the Deeprun Tram finally makes sense (again), now that there's actually water between Ironforge and Stormwind.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:40 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiol View Post
One thing about the new map, the Deeprun Tram finally makes sense (again), now that there's actually water between Ironforge and Stormwind.
I always thought that the non-sensicalness of the Deeprun Tram was part of it's charm.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I always thought that the non-sensicalness of the Deeprun Tram was part of it's charm.
It'd be a nice minor addition if they could implement the tram-tubes on the floor of that bay there.

They could just make them fogged over or mirrored glass, since the real tram is instanced and thus the movement and cargo of the cars would not able to correspond with outside ones.