Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Hon hon hon

Default Trolls and the Horde

First thing first, I know I could have posted it in the What is Wrong with the Darkspears thread, but I want to create this thread so it can be used to make propositions to Blizzard, and thus it should be kept as positive as possible (the very negative feedbacks, which is right to exist , should be kept in the aforementioned thread about the Darkspears).

So, where should I begin ?

Maybe, by saying that the trolls are my favourite race in the game just after the Draeneļ, and my favourite race in the Horde. So, I'm pleased to see Vol'jin as a Warchief, and I hope that Blizzard will use this extremely important change in the structure of the Horde (for the first time, the supreme figure of the faction is not an Orc).

So, what do I hope for the Darkspears ? Well, it is not new architecture style, because, while such a thing is neat, it is, fundamentally, subsidiary. What I want to see is Vol'jin, after the Rebellion, trying to improve his position in the Horde in prevision of potential resistance from the other members (especially the orcs and Forsakens). Furthermore, if (when) Vol'jin will learn about the whereabouts of Draenor and the probable wish of Thrall to bring back brown orcs in the Horde, he should try to expand the importance of the Trolls (and other races, especially the Taurens) in it, to prevent a second "Garrosh" to appear.

But, how could he does it ? Well, the answer is simple : seek out other troll tribes. I emphasised the important part : contrary to 5.3, where the Alliance had to seek out Vol'jin, it should be Vol'jin who should send ambassadors to the other tribes.

And Blizzard could make it appealing, simply by doing what GW2 did with the election of Ellen Kiel : make the player decide by their own actions which tribe will join the Horde; to introduce this mechanism, Vol'jin and the Darkspaers should first try to get in the Horde a tribe of Jungle Trolls : the Bloodscalps or the Skullspliters. Basically, the Horde players would support one tribe only, with both offering different but equally interesting stuff and uniquer features (pets and mounts), with the knowledge that if they supported the winning tribe, they will win something neat and unlock a certain path (scenarios, maybe even dungeons, etc).

Then, once the players would be accustomed to this new way for the story to unfold, Blizzard could introduce something a lot more ambitious : trolls which not only lack the connections with the Jungle trolls, but are also at odds with the Alliance in Dun Morogh. There, there wouldn't only be two "paths" for the Horde players (support the re-localization of the Frost Trolls in Alterac or let them alone to be sure that the tenuous peace with the Alliance will hold) but also for the Alliance players (divided into : kill all the frost trolls but risk of endanger the peace, or try to convince them to find a way to inhabit Dun Morogh peacefully with the Dwarves, or even to join the Alliance -like the Stillpine Furbolgs did, basically independent, but protected by the Alliance).

Such choices would lead to multiples possibilities as follow :

-Horde support the induction of the Frost Trolls in the Horde, but Alliance kill them : only a minority of survivors managed to join the Horde, but they constitute ardent proponent of an anti-Alliance stance.

-Horde support the induction of the FT in their faction and the Alliance try to make them "members" : the tribe is divided, with the majority joining the Horde, and a minority choose to throw their destiny with the Alliance, leading to incredible possibilities in future expansion, especially for the Alliance players, IMHO.

-Horde choose to let the FT alone and the Alliance want to kill them all : the FT of Dun Morogh are wiped out, only a modicum of them survive and flee to join the Zandalari.

-Horde choose to let the FT alone, and the Alliance try to convince them : the majority of the tribe join the Alliance, which create interesting tensions in this faction, while the remaining trolls wishing to be independent throw their lot with the Horde.

Obviously, my ideas are rough, but I think that Blizzard could develop them. So, what do you think about it ?

If you like it, maybe, try to diffuse those ideas in more visible/vocal forums (MMo Champ, the Story Forum, etc...), because some backup from a more numerous crowd than the simple SoLers could convince Blizzard to take the same sort of route ?

Last edited by Korath; 12-22-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 AM

Eternal

I think I already agree with you that The Darkspear should be ambassadors of the Horde, bringing in other Gurubashi tribes.

In "how I would do it", STV is a 1-15 zone, where the entire jungle is emptied of Trolls in favor of a new, unified empire in Kalimdor. Not sure I'd open the Trolls to Forest and Ice Empires... Or even Sand, but I'd definitely bring in every variety of Jungle.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Sentinel Queen

*Clap*

Not Sarcasm
Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
In "how I would do it", STV is a 1-15 zone, where the entire jungle is emptied of Trolls in favor of a new, unified empire in Kalimdor. Not sure I'd open the Trolls to Forest and Ice Empires... Or even Sand, but I'd definitely bring in every variety of Jungle.
The problem is the majority of non-Darkspear Trolls simply despise every other kind of life, including other Troll Tribes. They especially dislike the Darkspear whom we've seen established as a tribe everyone sees as "weak" and "degenerate" (in the eyes of other Trolls atleast)

It's only recently with the Zandalari's call for Unity that they actually put that aside, to a point. (Shadows of the Horde makes it clear that there's still a great deal of elitism and strife between different Tribes and Castes of Trolls.)
Old 12-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
The problem is the majority of non-Darkspear Trolls simply despise every other kind of life, including other Troll Tribes. They especially dislike the Darkspear whom we've seen established as a tribe everyone sees as "weak" and "degenerate" (in the eyes of other Trolls atleast)

It's only recently with the Zandalari's call for Unity that they actually put that aside, to a point. (Shadows of the Horde makes it clear that there's still a great deal of elitism and strife between different Tribes and Castes of Trolls.)
In the RTS Games, there were trolls willing to hire themselves out to armies as mercenaries, even humans such as Arthas.

With a faction of the Dark Irons joining Ironforge, I can see some Troll Tribes joining the Horde to survive easier in the World. This wouldn't mean an end to Troll tribe enemies either.

This would also give some more factions into the player Trolls who really need more variety in factions. Not every troll tribe would think the same, EX: some would less willing to forego old habits or prejudices.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post

Well I never said it'd be easy...

The point is that the Darkspear are Trolls Lite, and WoW needs cannibal, berzerking, hateful, tribal violent and bloody Trolls Dark, so let's get the Darkspear to recruit the rest of the Gurubashi remnants. They can raise hell as a shitty subset without clear leadership outside of their Priest delegation and we can enjoy the insanity.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 AM

The Sun King

Relevant to the Forest Trolls debacle, my Zul'Aman idea.

Tags
horde, pleasantly surprised, trolls