Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

WoWhead got an early copy of the physical edition of Elegy/A Good War and have posted some details about them. They're very, very interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perculia
-More details on Sylvanas' motivations for war. Worried about past actions of the Alliance, including Genn in Stormheim, she believes any peace will be short-lived. She plans to strike Darnassus first while the Alliance are diverted and their naval fleet is weakened after Legion. Then she hopes the Alliance will be hesitant to attack Undercity, as the Horde could threaten Darnassus. -The Alliance hopefully would then fall into further bickering as they determine where to strike next, losing to the Horde.

-We learn more details on the Night Elf resistance--they know they can't win the war at the start due to the sheer number imbalance, and focus on buying time to evacuate the citizens. We also get to know Delaryn a lot better in the novella, including her sudden rise to leadership, and how in spite of her inexperience, she enacts several successful defenses.

-We also get more information on why Tyrande is mostly-absent from the questline. She's originally in Stormwind to plan the counter-attack on Silithus, then stays in Stormwind to provide leadership to the refugees coming from Darnassus.

-It is implied that Elune, or Tyrande's prayer to Elune, was involved in Saurfang's decision to spare Malfurion.

-It's still fairly-spontaneous why Sylvanas decides to burn the tree. However, she was incredibly vexed that Saurfang did not kill Malfurion, and was thinking of a new way to destroy morale among the Night Elves.

-Saurfang undergoes a character transformation of sorts, questioning his honor and feeling guilt for his actions in past wars. This sets things up nicely for his resignation in the Battle for Lordaeron. We also learn Sylvanas is worried that Saurfang could become a great enemy of hers if he ever lost his sense of honor or left the Horde.

-Most worryingly, Sylvanas has yet another motive for her actions, one bigger than the Alliance or the Horde.

The fact that Sylvanas has another motivation, but it's apparently a "worrying one" is giving weight to a theory I'm developing and will probably elaborate on in an upcoming Blizzplanet article. I might have to wait now until the novella is released.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 AM

Demon Hunter

Wasn't aware we'd be getting a novella as well. Eager to see what juicy bits of lore we'll be getting
Old 08-02-2018, 01:24 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

They released more details. The biggest one is that the Burning of Teldrassil happens slightly different from how its portrayed in the short. It's only one difference, but its a huge one that would have helped assuage a lot of complaints about horde players.

In the novella version, when Sylvanas says "burn it" Saurfang is horrified and intervenes. He basically calls Sylvanas a monster and tells the orcs manning the catapults to stand down and disregard Sylvanas' orders. They don't listen,
and the novella ends with Saurfang watching the tree burn, flashing back to his actions in Shattrath during the rise of the Horde and deciding there's no redemption for him or the Horde, nothing can atone for what Sylvanas has done, and what he failed to prevent. He'll carry this guilt to his dying day "and he hopes that day will come soon."
Old 08-02-2018, 02:06 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
It's only one difference, but its a huge one that would have helped assuage a lot of complaints about horde players.
That bit you shared in the spoilers tag definitely helps. Honestly though I'm curious to see what sort of arc Sylvanas is getting for BFA because Blizzard really seems to be painting her into a corner. And I sincerely hope they don't give her the Kerrigan treatment. SC2's ending really really sucked for me and it's not something I hope that gets replicated in the Warcraft universe.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:58 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
They released more details. The biggest one is that the Burning of Teldrassil happens slightly different from how its portrayed in the short. It's only one difference, but its a huge one that would have helped assuage a lot of complaints about horde players.
As a Horde "player" I'm not sure how that's supposed to make me feel better, it's actually making the situation *worse*. We know Saurfang is a more or less swell guy when you ignore the fact that he doesn't have a problem with war in general, just the way it's fought - impressively i feel like he got hit by the Goody Two Shoes Hammer AND the Villain Bat at the same time during this patch and the upcomming Battle of Lordaeron scenario. But all that scene really does is make it harder for THE HORDE to be taken as just taking commands. Sure they're still doing their job in the ingame cinematic but in this new context the Orcs aren't just following orders, they're directly and purposefully following SYLVANAS' orders against Saurfang's. Even if they ultimately figure they have to do what the Warchief says, "Belay that order" is a thing for a reason. If your second or third in command holds your order, you HOLD THAT ORDER. And if it's a reasonably swell guy like Saurfang this would be the perfect opportunity for a rightious mutiny. But NOPE. Remember that powerful image of the burning tree with Sylvanas, quite purposefully, watching it alone, with no one at her side? Yeah no, they might as well add a couple of Orc catapulteers to that painting now. This just turned "Sylvanas' decision" into "The Horde's decision". And yet again the PC is fine with all of that.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:37 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
As a Horde "player" I'm not sure how that's supposed to make me feel better, it's actually making the situation *worse*.
I can easily see where you’re coming from. The Horde Artillery Corps has brought shame upon the entire Horde by following that order. Also, Saurfang’s attitude at the end seems to echo yours (or does yours echo his?): that there can be no atonement or redemption for the Horde as a faction for this. I would argue that our Player Characters are not members of the Horde Artillery Corps, so we can still stay out of that picture. I would also say that saying that our PCs is “ok with this” is not necessarily true either. Our PCs aren’t mentioned, so, short of having them attack the Horde Artillery or desert the battlefield, their reactions to this order are ours to imagine. We can imagine that they lended their voices to Saurfang’s, that they turned their heads in shame, or if we so choose, that we cheered it on. I find Sylvanas’s message afterwards telling: that the Alliance will be coming for us for vengeance for this. Basically, we’re stuck with this now. Now I know this isn’t enough for you. Like Saurfang, you cannot see any redemption for the Horde after this. I’ll leave you with one last message that I think you’ Be familiar with, and I hope it helps:

http://https://youtu.be/HTzuxhOh80M
Old 08-02-2018, 05:03 AM

Arch-Druid

@Saurfang:

I guess this was cut short in the cinematic for lengh and focus on the specific main character.

Also, a more detailed Nobbel analysis with stuff from the CE.

http://de.wowhead.com/news=286021/st...-with-nobbel87

I agree with Nobbel that this stuff should have been ingame, since this would have cleared up things.

Also, Sylvanas has a long history of threatening and blackmailing people, to get what she wants.

And@Horde: Well, the croud cheered Garrosh in OG after Theramore's Fall....
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Friendly reminder that some Horde players don't mind darker narratives. For me personally, who play both factions and most races to some degree, I quite liked the distinction between the Eastern and Western Horde.

My main is a Blood Elf Warlock. After feasting on angels and demons, redemption seems like a long shot. The only path is forward, and I don't mind the narrative focusing on the darker aspects of the player characters for a year or two, since the storyline is transient.

I do understand that WoW is an mmo, though, and not a single player game. That means blizz can't cater to individual player choices as far as storytelling goes. I've kinda accepted that some of my characters alignment and concepts won't ever be supported by the game's storytelling direction. I'm sure the Horde PC will end up looking as heroic as ever, so for now, I'm just enjoying the dark ride to hell.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 AM

Arch-Druid

This is something I always criticize Blizzard for: how they leave details out of the game.

I understand that the game is not the right medium to show everything. But there's no excuse to leave certain things out.

As examples:

* The cinematic could have spared a half-second panel to show Saurfang's shocked face upon the order. It then leads to only Nathanos complying.

* After the cinematic, Saurfang should be there, clickable and with gossip text, in which he comments the event and his despair.

These two small changes would have made a huge deal of difference.

Not everything needs to be done through cinematics and voice actors. Gossip text and text dialogue option on NPCs is a cheap resource that Blizzard uses way less than it should. I've been complaining for months that void elves had little lore, when they should at least have some interesting dialogue options in Telogrus NPCs.

For instance: they did it right at the end of Siege of Orgrimmar, Alliance-side. You can talk to Varian, Tyrande, Jaina and so. Through text, we learned the Alliance gave up Azshara to the Horde in exchange for the Horde retreating from Ashenvale, that Varian still considered Sylvanas a threat, that the Alliance was planning on reclaiming Gilneas, and so on. That text made the resolution in Orgrimmar way more satisfying than the cinematic alone would.

While leveling my void elf for the armor, I noticed how gossip text was way more used around TBC and MoP. I mean, even the janitor in Honor Hold would talk about how he felt Outland was his home since he was born there. Blizzard really needs to go back to exploring that resource more often.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 08-02-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Old 08-02-2018, 06:04 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
WoWhead got an early copy of the physical edition of Elegy/A Good War and have posted some details about them. They're very, very interesting:

The fact that Sylvanas has another motivation, but it's apparently a "worrying one" is giving weight to a theory I'm developing and will probably elaborate on in an upcoming Blizzplanet article. I might have to wait now until the novella is released.
You can't call that bad writing.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
You can't call that bad writing.
In an age where any story development one does not enjoy is called bad writing and any character development one would not have character assassination, you certainly can.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:

In the novella version, when Sylvanas says "burn it" Saurfang is horrified and intervenes. He basically calls Sylvanas a monster and tells the orcs manning the catapults to stand down and disregard Sylvanas' orders. They don't listen,
and the novella ends with Saurfang watching the tree burn, flashing back to his actions in Shattrath during the rise of the Horde and deciding there's no redemption for him or the Horde, nothing can atone for what Sylvanas has done, and what he failed to prevent. He'll carry this guilt to his dying day "and he hopes that day will come soon."
Morally grey btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Turns out there was foreshadowing of the War of the Thorns all the way back in Tides of War.

Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Here’s where I’m at with this:

The Horde we’re getting right now has blood on its hands. Plain and simple. You can revel in it or be revolted by it, but either way it’s there. The narrative is based on how you deal with this.

That said, the Horde has always had blood on its hands. That’s part of their narrative.

Thrall tried to start fresh. He had a fair number of old veterans that he relied on for guidance. He believed that Grom laying down his life to release them from the curse redeemed them, or at the very least set the next generation free. Role playing aside (if you want to be a level 1 grizzled old veteran that’s all on you) I get the impression that our player characters, with the possible exception of Death Knights, are meant to be a part of this younger generation. Orcs that grew up in the internment camps, losing their clan identity with parents afflicted with lethargy. They didn’t understand the guilt of their parents. I imagine many of their parents didn’t want to talk about it. That’s also Thrall’s generation. They knew only their bondage, possibly knowing but unlikely to understand how and why it happened.

Then Thrall brought in the Trolls and the Tauren, races that had everything he loved about the orcs, but none of the baggage. The Undead were brought in on hopes that they could find the redemption that the orcs has found, they being so much more victims than the orcs ever were.

Garrosh gave voice to that younger generation of orcs who didn’t feel that they should be held responsible for the sins of their parents. The Mag’har of either Timeway have no experience with that guilt. They don’t understand. And they don’t have that memory to draw upon to help them not repeat that mistake.

Now the whole Horde has blood on their hands. Yes, there’s room to distance ourselves from the War Chief, but we still all contributed to this. We actually have to look at this and come to terms with it.

Now if you are an Alliance this player and see no reason to allow the Horde to continue its existence, well that’s your story and that’s your problem. I’d truly like to see you try. For those of us playing Horde we are under no obligation to submit to Alliance retribution. It is still our prerogative to fight for our continued survival and freedom. There’s no redemption in death or bondage at the hands of the Alliance.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
As a Horde "player" I'm not sure how that's supposed to make me feel better, it's actually making the situation *worse*. We know Saurfang is a more or less swell guy when you ignore the fact that he doesn't have a problem with war in general, just the way it's fought - impressively i feel like he got hit by the Goody Two Shoes Hammer AND the Villain Bat at the same time during this patch and the upcomming Battle of Lordaeron scenario. But all that scene really does is make it harder for THE HORDE to be taken as just taking commands. Sure they're still doing their job in the ingame cinematic but in this new context the Orcs aren't just following orders, they're directly and purposefully following SYLVANAS' orders against Saurfang's. Even if they ultimately figure they have to do what the Warchief says, "Belay that order" is a thing for a reason. If your second or third in command holds your order, you HOLD THAT ORDER. And if it's a reasonably swell guy like Saurfang this would be the perfect opportunity for a rightious mutiny. But NOPE. Remember that powerful image of the burning tree with Sylvanas, quite purposefully, watching it alone, with no one at her side? Yeah no, they might as well add a couple of Orc catapulteers to that painting now. This just turned "Sylvanas' decision" into "The Horde's decision". And yet again the PC is fine with all of that.
Exactly therein lies the problem. My character wants to go with Saurfang but the damn game doesn't let me. Instead, the quests force me to keep doing Sylvanas' bidding.
Thankfully, there's plenty of Old God stuff in Zandalar that my character can focus on instead but as for Warfronts and the war campaign, I'm gonna have to have her take a hard pass. Which sucks because that's quite a chunk of content to miss out on.
I just don't get it. Have we, as Horde players, done something bad to Blizz that they don't want us to enjoy half their content?
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 AM

Elune

With these new bits of info, Sylvanas' decision to burn Teldrassil down still doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering the trade-off for supposedly "breaking the night elves' spirit" is a direct threat to her own city-state.

Isn't she supposed to be a decent tactician or something?

Last edited by Gortrash; 08-02-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
With these new bits of info, Sylvanas' decision to burn Teldrassil down still doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering the trade-off for supposedly "breaking the night elves' spirit" is a direct threat to her own city-state.

Isn't she supposed to be a decent tactician or something?
Not entirely unlike Garrosh's situation.

Decent at tactics, indifferent to logistics, and inconsistent about strategy.

One might even suggest that's what you get when you have individuals who are accustomed to fighting and/or leading from the trenches trying to run an entire war.

One might also make a (admittedly cliched) comparison to a certain historical German leader who used to be an infantryman and thought he knew better how to win the war than his own professional general staff, leading to disaster every time he insisted upon personally imposing his own strategic decisions.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Ranger

I'm just so numb to this at this point.

The interview's profferings of "don't lose heart, Heroes of the Horde! More is yet to come!" is worth all of nothing when Blizzard's story beats are so fucking clockwork any time a faction war rolls around.

I'm tired of being lashed to the Psychopath who triggers yet another "soul searching" moment for the Horde to never learn from because Blizzard has a game to make.

This is entirely the result of what happens when you go Game First Story Second. The story bends to what you need to make, and is invariably poisoned by that need by being warped and jerky.

It was brought up how the narrative choice of writing doesn't fit a two faction MMORPG and that's about as good as I can make it out to be. "But that doesn't make it bad writing!" is only half correct. Choosing a style of writing that doesn't suit well for your medium is Poor Narrative design that effects the overarching experience.

We're bascially on track for Another Mists, only without the Rebel Faction relief channel and the uncertainty of what the ultimate end of our antagonistic Warcheif might be.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Not entirely unlike Garrosh's situation.

Decent at tactics, indifferent to logistics, and inconsistent about strategy.

One might even suggest that's what you get when you have individuals who are accustomed to fighting and/or leading from the trenches trying to run an entire war.

One might also make a (admittedly cliched) comparison to a certain historical German leader who used to be an infantryman and thought he knew better how to win the war than his own professional general staff, leading to disaster every time he insisted upon personally imposing his own strategic decisions.
Given how in their summary, WoWhead mentions Sylvanas predicting people will act a certain way only for them to do the complete opposite of what she's sure they will happening several times in the novel, I think the idea is that for all her tactical knowledge, Sylvanas is hampered by the fact that she believes everyone else is a evil as she is, and literally can't comprehend people doing things because they're the right thing to do rather than for their own sake or feeling things she doesn't.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post

The Horde we’re getting right now has blood on its hands. Plain and simple. You can revel in it or be revolted by it, but either way it’s there. The narrative is based on how you deal with this.

That said, the Horde has always had blood on its hands. That’s part of their narrative.

Thrall tried to start fresh. He had a fair number of old veterans that he relied on for guidance. He believed that Grom laying down his life to release them from the curse redeemed them, or at the very least set the next generation free. Role playing aside (if you want to be a level 1 grizzled old veteran that’s all on you) I get the impression that our player characters, with the possible exception of Death Knights, are meant to be a part of this younger generation. Orcs that grew up in the internment camps, losing their clan identity with parents afflicted with lethargy. They didn’t understand the guilt of their parents. I imagine many of their parents didn’t want to talk about it. That’s also Thrall’s generation. They knew only their bondage, possibly knowing but unlikely to understand how and why it happened.

Then Thrall brought in the Trolls and the Tauren, races that had everything he loved about the orcs, but none of the baggage. The Undead were brought in on hopes that they could find the redemption that the orcs has found, they being so much more victims than the orcs ever were.

Garrosh gave voice to that younger generation of orcs who didn’t feel that they should be held responsible for the sins of their parents. The Mag’har of either Timeway have no experience with that guilt. They don’t understand. And they don’t have that memory to draw upon to help them not repeat that mistake.

Now the whole Horde has blood on their hands. Yes, there’s room to distance ourselves from the War Chief, but we still all contributed to this. We actually have to look at this and come to terms with it.

Now if you are an Alliance this player and see no reason to allow the Horde to continue its existence, well that’s your story and that’s your problem. I’d truly like to see you try. For those of us playing Horde we are under no obligation to submit to Alliance retribution. It is still our prerogative to fight for our continued survival and freedom. There’s no redemption in death or bondage at the hands of the Alliance.
Nicely put!

Quote:
Given how in their summary, WoWhead mentions Sylvanas predicting people will act a certain way only for them to do the complete opposite of what she's sure they will happening several times in the novel, I think the idea is that for all her tactical knowledge, Sylvanas is hampered by the fact that she believes everyone else is a evil as she is, and literally can't comprehend people doing things because they're the right thing to do rather than for their own sake or feeling things she doesn't.
The way I've always seen Sylvanas is that, as undead, she lost contact with a living person's feelings. She can't relate to the living, as much as she tries. Also, being an advanced form of undead, she also can't relate to her own subjects, who have their senses dulled by their decaying bodies.

She can only think of feelings like fear, rage, hopelessness. She can't even understand someone dying for a loved one. She probably sees her living soldiers doing such sacrifices and only rolls eyes, thinking of how they are fools doing senseless things.

And, since she can't relate to the living anymore, she also can't understand the will to die fighting for a cause. She is completely blind to what drives the Alliance forward.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

But m-muh bad writing
Old 08-02-2018, 04:04 PM

Elune

Curious what this bigger motive is, hope its not something dumb like "old gods" and the like.

As for the Teldrassil burning foreshadowing, personally feel its just a happy accident. I mean its a big tree, wood burns, it seems like an obvious worry.

Also hate that Blizzard is putting this info in teh novella but not in game. It'd really help to flesh shit out. I thought Blizzard knew this by now.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Curious what this bigger motive is, hope its not something dumb like "old gods" and the like.
Someone suggested in MMO-C that her ultimate goal is to extinguish life, turn everyone undead, so there would be peace. In essence, she turned into Lich Queen, without the power of the Helm of Domination.

It makes some sense, considering she's very paranoid of being killed and fears the living. Her entire motivation in the novella relates to her immortality. She believes the Alliance will never stop trying to get revenge, all peace is temporary, while she's eternal. She can't even think of using diplomacy to make a sign of good will towards the Alliance (why not help the gilneans recover their land?), because, in her mind, they'll always want payback, if not tomorrow, in a decade or a century.

This also ties in to Alleria hearing whispers of Sylvanas "serving the true enemy" (death), as well as Malfurion saying Saurfang was acting in service of death, and Delaryn saying she became an enemy of life.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Someone suggested in MMO-C that her ultimate goal is to extinguish life, turn everyone undead, so there would be peace. In essence, she turned into Lich Queen, without the power of the Helm of Domination.

It makes some sense, considering she's very paranoid of being killed and fears the living. Her entire motivation in the novella relates to her immortality. She believes the Alliance will never stop trying to get revenge, all peace is temporary, while she's eternal. She can't even think of using diplomacy to make a sign of good will towards the Alliance (why not help the gilneans recover their land?), because, in her mind, they'll always want payback, if not tomorrow, in a decade or a century.

This also ties in to Alleria hearing whispers of Sylvanas "serving the true enemy" (death), as well as Malfurion saying Saurfang was acting in service of death, and Delaryn saying she became an enemy of life.
The whispers of the void also mentioned how Sylvanas wanted the death of all things, an end to all possibilities (with everyone undead, life is effectively sterlized and can't continue), which would mesh with wanting everyone undead.

So yeah, I can see that, and I rather like that motivation, twisted as it is. It fits her and her fears.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post

Don't worry. The memetastic writing will make sure the Horde won't get suitable consequences for its behavior. I'm sure we'll hear Anduin blather about #NotAllHorde and then have the Alliance leave. Continuing the Wrynn tradition of just letting your enemy sit there.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft