Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Elune

That Old Soldier cinematic was a nice surprise. Really enjoyed it, and now I like Zappyboi as well (beforehand I never really cared for him but now that he has a character, its good). His voice took a bit getting used to though, definitely not what I expected, but it made him sound fairly young and it brought home the whole "this is my first battle" thing.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
the Horde players can analyze the story well enough on our own and we can see it sucks.
I disagree.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Priestess of the Moon

So, ATVI's Second Quarter 10-Q came out yesterday.

I looked at it, as well as a few others for comparison:

2018 2Q 10Q - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...14094_110q.htm
2017 2Q 10Q - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...13370_110q.htm
2016 2Q 10Q - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...16083_110q.htm
2014 3Q 10Q - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...19826_110q.htm

Now, there are some issues with the daterange. Battle for Azeroth opens with a pre-order, and by all accounts a pretty popular pre-order, and this second quarter for that reason and the reason of where we are in the release cycle is not comparable with the second quarter of 2017. Hence, I pulled 2016 as well.

But, 2016 also has a problem, because that's when Overwatch came out. I bring this up because 2018's discussion and analysis sections make it very clear that Overwatch is in decline. One of the assumptions I have to make when making these evaluations is that I can sufficiently pick out the net effect caused by World of Warcraft, and that requires other Blizzard titles to be relatively stable - here, with no other releases to influence the data, as there were in 2016 - in the quarter before Legion's launch, that assumption is violated, so take some of what I say with that in mind.

Again, I think a brief discussion on deferred net revenues is worthwhile. When you purchase a subscription, an in-game item, or when you pre-order, the money is not initially recognized as revenue until Blizzard has actually earned the money. In software, this is something that normally happens over time. Before your money is earned, the other side of the entry to record cash received is not revenue, but a liability account called "deferred revenues".

Example:

Entry to record one month's subscription fee:
Cash:--------------------- 15
--Deferred Revenues-------------15

Once the amount is earned, this amount makes its way from deferred revenues to revenues:

Entry to record delivery of service:
Deferred Revenues:-------15
--Revenue:------------------------15

It's not always quite this simple, and the earnings process with a subscription based MMO runs into a lot of issues like the earnings process for things like microtransactions, pre-order bonuses, and of course, the initial purchase of the game, which have to be recognized over their expected useful life - and that estimate changes on events like when a customer chooses to unsubscribe. (Specifically, when you unsubscribe, a number of deferred revenues related to you are 'released' - and so for a period, depending on how much time you have left, GAAP revenue attributable to you will increase)

This is why I pay a lot of attention to what is happening to deferred revenue. A wave of subscriptions should cause that liability account to swell. A wave of unsubscriptions conversely, should cause it to shrink.

So, first I want to share a metric that I've noticed come into use lately "Monthly active users". Bear in mind, this is for Blizzard company-wide, and not just for one game.

Q1, 2015 - 21
Q2, 2015 - 29
Q3, 2015 - 28
Q4, 2015 - 26
Q1, 2016 - 26
Q2, 2016 - 33
Q3, 2016 - 42
Q4, 2016 - 41
Q1, 2017 - 41
Q2, 2017 - 46
Q3, 2017 - 42
Q4, 2017 - 40
Q1, 2018 - 38
Q2, 2018 - 37

These amounts are in millions.

Now, at its peak, World of Warcraft had somewhere on the order of 10 - 11 million players. This is where I bring up Overwatch again:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tch-worldwide/

Obviously, there's no way these two numbers are calculated in the same way, But the October number of 35 million lines up with what Blizzard had said the number was (https://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/o...-sales-numbers). I say this again to highlight the outsized effect that Overwatch is going to have on the calculations. That being said, Overwatch isn't a subscription model, and so its revenues will be accounted for as product sales.

One last complicating factor: The supplementary schedules are not the same. ATVI is reporting more and detailed information, and it makes a difference. Look at the Q1 with Activision, for example, and you see an enormous effect on deferred revenue attributable to Call of Duty: WWII, compared with an absolutely paltry effect on Blizzard's operating results.

Accordingly, the analysis I have is extremely limited:

That being said, in 2016 on page 42, the analysis of revenue made it clear that increased revenues for Blizzard as a segment were being offset by lower revenues from World of Warcraft, explicitly because of the lower subscriber base. That is to say: the pre-order was not arresting existing declines at the end of Warlords of Draenor.

When we go over to the 2018 10Q, on page 52, the decrease in net revenues for both periods is attributable to lower revenues from Overwatch, but they are offset (only in the description for the six months ended June 30, 2018, NOT the three months ended, which indicates that this effect is isolated to Q1 2018) partially due to higher revenues from World of Warcraft "primarily due to revenues associated with in-game content delivered to customers upon pre-purchase of World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth".

Over on page 49, we have, in regard to overall changes in deferred net revenues: "The increase [in deferred net revenues] was partially offset by lower net deferred revenues recognized from Blizzard of $145 million, primarily due to a net deferral of revenues for World of Warcraft, primarily driven by revenues associated with in-game content and the timing of expansion releases, as compared to net deferred revenues recognized in the prior-year period from World of Warcraft: Legion, which was released in August 2016."

Emphasis mine.

Do remember, these words are carefully chosen. If they wanted to say something about more subscribers, they would do it. Also, if they needed to say something about decreased subscribers, they would do that. I have to imagine that whatever effect that's going on right now is immaterial - too small to be noted.

In summary, there is a net deferral of revenues going on, but that appears to be because the existing playerbase is pre-ordering. But if there is an overall impact being rendered by higher or lower subscriptions, it's not large or notable enough to show up in the financial statements.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:13 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

You know how for WoD and Legion they released those preview videos that had overviews of every zone, dungeon, and raid, along with sizzle reels of the main new features shortly before launch?

They seem to be doing it a little differently for BfA. They're releasing the zone overviews one by one in 19 second bursts. It's an odd decision, I think, but they're still pretty cool:

Tiragarde Sound:

Drustvar:

Nazmir:
Old 08-04-2018, 01:32 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
But if there is an overall impact being rendered by higher or lower subscriptions, it's not large or notable enough to show up in the financial statements.
Isn't that, like, super bad for Blizzard? A nice tiny sub base would be a good thing at any other time, i guess, better than a decline, but with a new expansion comming in ten days doesn't that mean the game has bled buckets and the newcommers and returners BARELY make up for the people who just left? Because that's how it sounds to me.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:41 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Isn't that, like, super bad for Blizzard? A nice tiny sub base would be a good thing at any other time, i guess, better than a decline, but with a new expansion comming in ten days doesn't that mean the game has bled buckets and the newcommers and returners BARELY make up for the people who just left? Because that's how it sounds to me.
It could also mean they haven't lost many subs but haven't gained any either? I admit I'm not good with numbers and analyst talk at all so I could be way off.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
It could also mean they haven't lost many subs but haven't gained any either?
Yepp, and i'm not sure if that's not worse. Though i wouldn't be surprised, i don't see a lot of hype for BFA. There's very little to be hyped about, it's like Blizzard took Legion, made an expansion for it, but took out half the things that made people like Legion.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
All I'm getting is that you sound like a Horde fanboy who isn't pleased enough with having a far more diverse roster of characters and a more engaging story than what's going on with the Alliance right now. I mean what more could Blizzard give you when this week has been very heavy on Horde lore and exposure?

Not even getting into how it seems unlikely the Alliance will get a comparison cinematic.
>Engaging.

What manner of definition of Engaging has an entire faction memeing about wanting to faction transfer or give up on the game entirely? That's not engaging, that's repellant.

Alliance isn't going to get a "comparator" cinematic because unlike the Horde it doesn't have this schizoprhemic repeat of having to go soul-searching every other expansion-and we're literally on track for a second Mists of Pandaria, where Garrosh is Sylvanas and Vol'jin is Saurfang.

The Horde was inches away from self destructing over Sylvanas's Short before Old Soldier came in with the Bucket. That's not a dynamic you want where you literally sabotage yourself but then catch it at the last second.

Anyone who thinks this is good is fucking insane. Were this any other franchise it would have all but destroyed itself but because it's WoW it has some inertia.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:35 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
You know how for WoD and Legion they released those preview videos that had overviews of every zone, dungeon, and raid, along with sizzle reels of the main new features shortly before launch?

They seem to be doing it a little differently for BfA. They're releasing the zone overviews one by one in 19 second bursts. It's an odd decision, I think, but they're still pretty cool:
It's because those videos are specifically designed to accompany the Visitor's Guide blog posts on the official site.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21797338
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21757527
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21952595
(Doesn't seem like they made a video for the Zuldazar one.)

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 08-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
It's difficult to say. In the second quarter of 2016, pre-expansion bonuses and the hype train for legion were unable to arrest year-over-year subscription losses, but a lot of factors go into that. The big one that comes to mind is that WoD was a trash expansion, whereas Legion was regarded as better. So, is it the strength of the spoilers for the expansion that is or isn't arresting the decline? Or is it the strength of the prior expansion? I don't have the data from this to tell you.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Troubadour

Horde Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
>Engaging.

What manner of definition of Engaging has an entire faction memeing about wanting to faction transfer or give up on the game entirely? That's not engaging, that's repellant

Alliance isn't going to get a "comparator" cinematic because unlike the Horde it doesn't have this schizoprhemic repeat of having to go soul-searching every other expansion-and we're literally on track for a second Mists of Pandaria, where Garrosh is Sylvanas and Vol'jin is Saurfang.

The Horde was inches away from self destructing over Sylvanas's Short before Old Soldier came in with the Bucket. That's not a dynamic you want where you literally sabotage yourself but then catch it at the last second.

Anyone who thinks this is good is fucking insane. Were this any other franchise it would have all but destroyed itself but because it's WoW it has some inertia.
Bullshit.

The community interactions are HUGE.

See these posts:

The number on the upper left corner is the amount of upvotes. The Old Soldier post, for instance, got at least 23 thousand people liking it. That's not mentioning the comments and the interactions on the comments themselves.

See this comment above? Almost three thousand people liked it. You can't say there's no positive interaction towards the Horde.

And I'm not even bringing about the posts that were positive towards Sylvanas.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
>Engaging.

What manner of definition of Engaging has an entire faction memeing about wanting to faction transfer or give up on the game entirely? That's not engaging, that's repellant.

Engaging in the sense that Blizzard honestly is demonstrating self-reflection and inner struggle in the Horde that has culminated up to this epic cinematic. They have told us in Q&A's that both factions would be having deep self-reflection, but so far we're seeing far more of that among the Horde than the Alliance, who now feel like there isn't as much a story being told as it's just the races uniting against the Horde.

And yes, I would absolutely love that kind of dynamic in the Alliance. I want a diverse cast of characters with their own different ideologies and themes because that makes for a better story than characters who are very interchangeable and feel almost no different from each other. I'm sorry you dislike that, but if it makes you feel any better, I would gladly trade places because there is now a growing worry that the Alliance only exists to help supplement the Horde story rather than have a story of its own.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I would gladly trade places because there is now a growing worry that the Alliance only exists to help supplement the Horde story rather than have a story of its own.
Hasn't this always been the case, though? I mean, the Alliance was founded because of the Horde. Take away the Horde and the Alliance loses its reason to exist.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 08-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Hasn't this always been the case, though? I mean, the Alliance was founded because of the Horde. Take away the Horde and the Alliance loses its reason to exist.
That doesn't mean it needs to be the case forever.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
This was linked on the discord, it's a quest started from a rare drop from island expeditions:

So the Dragon Isles are a still a thing... and I can't help but wonder. This is the kind of "completely unrelated to the theme of the current expansion and such a minor hint most overlook it" feel that the naga having very specifically Kul Tiran and Zandalari prisoners in Azsuna did in retrospect.

With there being very few pre-known places to go next, I'm really starting to wonder if this is a hint towards Dragon Isles being the setting the next expansion.
Might you plan on doing a Dragon Isles expansion concept?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Engaging in the sense that Blizzard honestly is demonstrating self-reflection and inner struggle in the Horde that has culminated up to this epic cinematic. They have told us in Q&A's that both factions would be having deep self-reflection, but so far we're seeing far more of that among the Horde than the Alliance, who now feel like there isn't as much a story being told as it's just the races uniting against the Horde.

And yes, I would absolutely love that kind of dynamic in the Alliance. I want a diverse cast of characters with their own different ideologies and themes because that makes for a better story than characters who are very interchangeable and feel almost no different from each other. I'm sorry you dislike that, but if it makes you feel any better, I would gladly trade places because there is now a growing worry that the Alliance only exists to help supplement the Horde story rather than have a story of its own.
I think the problem is the centralization of power in a single character. That character becomes the face of the faction. If it's a good character, the faction is good. If it's not, the faction falls into conflict.

Which is why the High King figure is a bad idea. If Anduin had the same standing as Tyrande, Genn and others, then there could be a lot of inside conflict, as different leaders can outvote the others for some purposes.

There's also a second layer to this that makes the Horde more volatile than the Alliance. The Horde is considered "family", and they naturally view the Warchief as its center. They follow the Warchief first and question him later.

The Alliance is still a bunch of nations banded together. If the High King was blatantly incompetent and corrupt, the Alliance would fall apart first. Or at least that's what I'd expect, so there's more pressure for the High King to behave.

The fact that both High Kings were good people aggravates this. But the Alliance does have something that is better than the Horde currently: because Anduin is this inexperienced young king, Blizzard has managed to give other leaders voice as his advisors. I loved seeing Velen and Genn interact with Anduin, and this expansion in particular I loved how they made each character assume a role, as Anduin is little more than a figurehead to rally the nations: Genn is the political face of the Alliance in Kul Tiras. Halford Wyrmbane is the leader of the Alliance war effort. And we're seeing more middle-rank racial leader having roles now.

In this regard, I'm quite happy with how the Alliance is being portrayed. There may not be conflict, but they are cooperating in a nice way.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
It's because those videos are specifically designed to accompany the Visitor's Guide blog posts on the official site.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21797338
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21757527
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21952595
(Doesn't seem like they made a video for the Zuldazar one.)
They posted these little zone previews on their twitter before anything else. Here’s the one for Zuldazar that they haven’t posted or released on YouTube yet:

https://twitter.com/warcraft/status/...058593281?s=21
Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Didn't the Alliance hate Varian for being a warmonger when he first appeared?
Old 08-04-2018, 12:01 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
This was linked on the discord, it's a quest started from a rare drop from island expeditions:

So the Dragon Isles are a still a thing... and I can't help but wonder. This is the kind of "completely unrelated to the theme of the current expansion and such a minor hint most overlook it" feel that the naga having very specifically Kul Tiran and Zandalari prisoners in Azsuna did in retrospect.

With there being very few pre-known places to go next, I'm really starting to wonder if this is a hint towards Dragon Isles being the setting the next expansion.
Personally, I suspect that the Dragon Isles will be BfA patch content, since Hazzikostas suggested in the interview with Jesse Cox and Wowcrendor that dragons might end up being important at level 112, as implied by the Deaths of Chromie.
So far, the only dragon content in BfA I know of is the presence of some black dragons on island expeditions (which is what leads to the Blacktalon Agent quest) and Zallestrasza in Drustvar, suggesting that whatever it was that Hazzikostas was talking about might be yet to come. (I might be reading too much into it, though.)

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
They posted these little zone previews on their twitter before anything else. Here’s the one for Zuldazar that they haven’t posted or released on YouTube yet:

https://twitter.com/warcraft/status/...058593281?s=21
I stand corrected. Seeing it again, I do remember seeing the Zuldazar tweet, but I guess I just forgot about it.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 08-04-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-04-2018, 12:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
That works both ways, neither faction wouldn't exist without each other but the development team are showing that one faction can have a story be told without need of the other faction.

To be frank, from where I'm standing you have your priorities wrong and thanks to this cinematic it's now the Alliance that needs more narrative focus and help from the development team to show us that it has a narrative of its own besides just being a disapproving parent to the Horde throwing toys all over the room.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Elune

I don't get the "Zappyboi" meme. Can someone explain it to me? Why was he dubbed that and by who? What's the character's real name?
Old 08-04-2018, 12:36 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
I don't get the "Zappyboi" meme. Can someone explain it to me? Why was he dubbed that and by who? What's the character's real name?
He's the shaman who shocked Genn in the BfA cinematic. His name is Zekhan.

Quote:
I'm more annoyed that losing the Undercity came after Teldrassil. They had the chance to make the Alliance the aggressors for once. To appease the Alliance players who have been clamoring for "reclaiming Lordaeron for the Alliance" and for the Worgen to get their revenge on Sylvanas and reclaim Gilneas...

Instead it's the Horde, once again, being the aggressors and the Alliance picking their teeth off the floor.

We could've gotten the Morally Gray™ that Blizzard keeps spouting with the Alliance launching an unprovoked attacked on the Undercity and Sylvanas burning Teldrassil in response...

Instead we have the Horde being black and the Alliance being white with nothing gray to be seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Last edited by Noitora; 08-04-2018 at 01:10 PM..
Old 08-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:
To be frank, from where I'm standing you have your priorities wrong
Why should my priority be the Alliance when i never play them?
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 08-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Ranger

Quote:

The issue at heart is that it's always the same "dynamic" of Horde being egregiously aggressive for Infantile reasoninigs (The Alliance wuz mean) And the Alliance Getting a bruised as a resuilt, then the Alliance get mad but ultimately do nothing and then a few patches later the Horde Implodes all on it's own from Dynamics.

If there were any ebb and flow to any of this I'd think otherwise. As it stands now, one is dying of thirst and another is drowning. Flipping the scales would be a nice change but it'd ultimatey be just as unsatisfactory in the long run.

Blizzard can't do half-steps so anything resembling tension and release is instead gonna be Flood and Drought.

Quote:
OH THEY SURE DID.

Last edited by Fenixhart; 08-04-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Old 08-04-2018, 03:27 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Varian seems so tame relative to the current state of things.

Quote:
The issue at heart is that it's always the same "dynamic" of Horde being egregiously aggressive for Infantile reasoninigs (The Alliance wuz mean) And the Alliance Getting a bruised as a resuilt, then the Alliance get mad but ultimately do nothing and then a few patches later the Horde Implodes all on it's own from Dynamics.
I think the Kul'Tiras story is a good one if I'm understanding the general theme correctly. The war with the Horde is a general background but the focus is on Jaina and friends politicking to bring the kingdom into the Alliance while quashing the dissidents. The idea of the Alliance throwing its weight around in order to grow so that it can throw more weight around etc is probably the only interesting thing I can remember it doing.

It has potential elsewhere around the world, e.g. how does Stromgarde feel about probably having no sovereignty and just being an arm of Stormwind, given that's the only way the kingdom is coming back?. It also works in peace just as well as war, and that general narrative can be tailored for each region/race.

The absolute worst way to handle the Alliance is, as you say, to have it get temporarily mad at the Horde while at war and then to disappear as soon as the war ends.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft