Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10826  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,144

Default

It doesnt really matter what I want done.
Ive said it before, expand tge rules so they cover both direct and indirect harassment,threats of violence, etc.

That was too much to ask for then so it probably is now. All we got was "a discussion is in progress," then poof.

As for the "conservative safe space" bit, spider, you dont quite understand it. They didnt leave because people said mean things. They left necause it was clear they werent wanted by the moderation team.

And it was the entire mod team, because they didnt speak out against stuff they disagreed with.

Why stay where you arent wanted.

Hell, SoLs had users here say they are glad they are gone.

They gave the playground to the other children, and now nobody gets to play ball.

So the question now is do you give up and find a new playground, or try and get more kids to show up.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #10827  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,452

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
One of their main goals for the past few years has been to get me banned because I say things they don't like while following the rules. One of their favorites to bring up are the times I responded the surge in violent right-wing groups by saying I'm willing to defend myself and my family.
Well they ought to quote the bits where they feel you crossed the line, grab a mod, and make their case

Then you can voice your defense and a decision can be made one way or the other
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10828  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,366

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Well they ought to quote the bits where they feel you crossed the line, grab a mod, and make their case

Then you can voice your defense and a decision can be made one way or the other
It was brought up and put aside years ago. They read into a willingness to fight back against violent right-wing groups or fascist regimes as a threat to them personally somehow. I clarified that it wasn't but a few still held on to it for some reason.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #10829  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Well they ought to quote the bits where they feel you crossed the line, grab a mod, and make their case

Then you can voice your defense and a decision can be made one way or the other
FWIW, I dont remember what I reported, but ive got a response from cantus over a report where he says "they arent happy about the behavior but wont do anything because it toes the line".

I was later accused in this thread of report spamming people, and I pointed out that ive still got a copy of every response to a report Ive ever made (like, 3) in my inbox. So i stopped reporting people.

Again, a mod made it clear nothing would be done
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #10830  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,131

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
As for the "conservative safe space" bit, spider, you dont quite understand it. They didnt leave because people said mean things. They left necause it was clear they werent wanted by the moderation team.
That would sound legit if people like Lon Ami didn't talk about in terms of being 'forced out'.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #10831  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That would sound legit if people like Lon Ami didn't talk about in terms of being 'forced out'.
Let be more blunt.

Moderation made it clear they didnt want them here..... and an admin threatened to spill personal information on at least one of the people who left. Also something I called out at the time of it happening, to replies of "Ohh Id never actually say something, im just totally bringing up the fact I know something you dont want others to know in the middle of this argument in a benevolent way"
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #10832  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:55 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,131

Orb of Lightning

That's pretty fucked up, even as a joke.

It seems to me the situation is irrecoverable, though. Most people who left are probably uninterested in returning, happy as they are in greener pastures. Most people who stayed seem pretty happy with themselves for not having to deal with the Enemy's shit anymore. These are very polarizing times, and I don't really see people reconciling with each other on controversial issues, which are the many elephants in the room and would thus be difficult to ignore.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #10833  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That's pretty fucked up, even as a joke.

It seems to me the situation is irrecoverable, though. Most people who left are probably uninterested in returning, happy as they are in greener pastures. Most people who stayed seem pretty happy with themselves for not having to deal with the Enemy's shit anymore. These are very polarizing times, and I don't really see people reconciling with each other on controversial issues, which are the many elephants in the room and would thus be difficult to ignore.
At this point, Halls ahould be shut down.

Start projects to bring new people. Have people do hollow knight speed runs on twitch and advertise SoL.

Make lore videos.

Make this place worth coming to. Reconciliation is impossible. So move forward and dont let the past repeat itself
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #10834  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Melorandor Melorandor is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Melorandor's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 643
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Default

The fact that Cantus is still an admin is a testament to where the forums are heading. Failure of moderation as a whole; sucks to see this place die because of it.

Cantus if you're reading this. Go fuck yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #10835  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 AM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,144

Default

Thats a bit harsh.

Look, Cantus ... was obviously going through some shit. End of the day, he aint a bad guy and the community would be lesser without him, bad blood even being accounted for.

This shit wasnt malicious, even if it was bad. He was trying to do good by the community, but wasnt in the right state to do so. Even if you disagreebwith him and think his ideas were stupid and drove people apart, it should be remembered he was coming from a good, if severely misguided, place.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #10836  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

For what it's worth, I cannot presume to speak for anyone else, but at least for me, I stopped being active because of 2 primary reasons-

1. The laggy site due to the old host
2. Losing most of my interest in WoW(although I prop up from time to time to look at what's going on)

Although I do not speak for anyone else, I do observe how active the Discord group is in comparison to this site. Therefore, I disagree that it is excessive moderation that led to people abandoning this site, although in the case of the more 'political' posters, I think that forum moderation might have been a cause as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10837  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

I agree that the downtick in activity was mainly the site issues, perhaps exacerbated by toxic tendencies in the community. I can speak for myself and say that lag was the reason I stopped, and fixing the lag is the reason I'm back. Only 1 or 2 users actually left *because* of the dumb politics shit. PJ and Yaskelah, my recollection is that they basically played banhammer chicken with the mods until they got booted so they could say they were forced to leave.

I for one would love to see a new era for the site that has a more up-to-date and robust moderation style, with clearly stated and enforced rules. The 'good-ole-boys' club approach is what set up this whole debacle in the first place. It's a relic from an outdated age of the internet. People who weren't qualified or responsible enough for the position getting a spot just because they'd been around since the beginning.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #10838  
Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,548
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
The only one forced to leave was Hammerbrew. I'm sorry you no longer consider this to be a safe space, though.
It was a safe space for freedom of speech once. All kind of speeches. It's what made this place different from the official forums and MMO-C in the first place.

Now? You can no longer say what you want. On top of that, Warcraft and Blizzard are not just dead, but a stinky rotting corpse. Scrolls of Lore is doomed, and many around here are to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
1. I don't agree with that at all. Hammer and others were plenty toxic before moderators started cracking down on the racial slurs and open bigotry floating around.
Why didn't you scroll down? Why didn't you use the ignore function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
2. Well if you're so unhappy here Lon-ami, why not find greener pastures like the others did?
Great solution, the community is dying, what should we do? I know, let's tell anyone trying to solve the problem to just leave. That will surely fix everything.
  • The house is burning, we need to do something!
  • Why do you hate the house? If you don't like it, just leave.
Modern day zealotry in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Honestly? That good old "free speech cage match" thing we had going on is maybe the one thing that could have saved the site. Seriously, we were able to tolerate an open pol/ack for months which is pretty laudable in terms of free speech tolerance and I would not have even banned Galdus but I would force him to spam his charts and graphs into a dedicated thread in the Halls of Lordaeron.

Like what is even SoL now? Interest in Warcraft lore is dying because it has been a total shitshow for years, worse the core SoL crowd mostly lost their passion for Warcraft. If we tried a dedicated campaign to revive the site who can we even recruit? I don't think there is enough interest and young blood to just work off of the "warcraft lore gimmick." And trying to revive it as a geek site is probably hopeless since there are probably a hundred places ahead of us in that game.
But if we had kept that stringed free speech ethos it would make us unique on a field of competition where increasingly censorship is taking hold.

It would have preserved the awesome community we had better than Cantus' moderation crusade too. How many people left for various reasons, it is a damn shame what the site was and what it is now. Not to mention I am not seeing too much passion for reviving it either, I am sad to say I think next time it is time to pay the rent Warlock will not do it and I can't blame him.

What I would have done is, tried to rebrand SoL as site for general nerdery where free speech is greatly valued. I would condemn politics and other topics of controversy into HoL, and the most controversial stuff into specific quarantine threads. I would moderate very little, just stopping open abuse and punishments would follow a gradient (1 day, 3, 7, month, 3, 6, goodbye though that would be flexible for the worse offenders, mainly people who are shitposting because they want to be banned)
But that was needed before the site went into meltdown, given all that has happened it might be impossible. Though if there is a concentrated effort to save SoL I will join it, for old times sakes if nothing else, I miss the good times.
We had really good stuff on the past, brought here by the equally good Warcraft discussion. Lot of fanfiction, and a few forum games, among them this beauty, Sovereign of Ludditia, by far one of the best things to happen in the forum.

Instead of going forward with what made SoL great in the first place, asshole moderators ruined the place. It started many years ago, and only kept getting worse with more and more moderators.

Rolandius should have never been banned in the first place, but half of you don't even know who he was anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
The only one forced to leave? Define "force".

The rules were very clearly set up against the Conservative leaning posters here, and it was something I had brought up multiple times as a "Hey, this is an obvious bias". As a rule, they were brash, upfront and would say outright what they wanted.

The people who didn't leave, who still post here, were all way more toxic than even the worst of Hammer. You have Genesis gaslighting and insulting, Kak threatening violence, and then defending it with "OHH OHH I NEVER SAID THAT I WOULD, JUST THAT I WAS WILLING TO PROTECT AGAINST FOREIN AND DOMESTIC THREATS HUE HUE HUE". They did and do ALL the same stuff that got the other side called out, they just weren't upfront about it. Even Noitora pointed out it wasn't about what was said, but about how sneaky and underhanded you could say it.

Fuck that.

Insults, nasty horrible venom, threats of violence, mods trying to dox people to prove they were double plus no good probationary ebul members of stormfront, ignored reports or using "Well, we aren't really happy with how he's acting but hue hue hue, he didn't really break the rules on a technicality!", repeated requests and pointing out how the rules were being abused by one side with moderation purposely letting it go.


People certainly weren't forced to leave as in banned. But it was made more than clear that one political side was being supported and given a pass.

So why stay where you aren't wanted.
In the past you could say what you wanted upfront. Now you gotta be sneaky.

Fuck that shit, and fuck everyone responsible for turning this into a granny gossip backstab circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
It's my belief that the reason Kakawas hasn't been seriously punished is because of nepotism, not his politics. He's one of the oldest posters on the site. Same reason Omacron was made an admin when he was like 12, and Bolvar and Cantus got mod powers. Who in their right minds would allow any of that? SoL has always been kind of a shitshow when it comes to rules and moderation. When it's finally decided to enforce what are pretty basic rules for public discourse (no slurs, racism, bigotry) there was inevitable friction with people who thought they should have the right to spew whatever hateful bullshit they wanted. Some moderators got too zealous and people were butthurt.
Omacron was one of the worst things to happen to the forum. A petulant, turncoat, presumptuous egocentric narcissist who sold the forum's integrity to suck Blizzard's dick and get an internship. And he didn't even try to hide it a bit.

He was the first step in the downhill of years to come, thanks to his censorship of the original Cataclysm leaks, signaling the first wave of exiles looking for a better place.

And let's not forget about his constant stream of memes and garbage posts, all while everyone who did half the same or called him out got his avatar replaced by an ass. That was SoL's definition of moderation for a few years, before the shitshow of 2016 politics put the final nails on the coffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Right, they were getting abuse from the other end, but again, rarely as direct, but it was just as vitriolic. And when it was reported, it got the same "We aren't happy with it but technically not breaking any rules!" responses.

As for Cantus and people overreacting?

It really wasn't. He had a power trip. He purposely tried to purge the forum. It succeeded. Now the place is dead. And we can say it was the website acting slow, but it wasn't. Because people still came and discussed when it was slow. It being slow and acting up was a known issue for like, half a year before the shit show. I was losing entire posts in the politics thread.

I say this as someone who likes Cantus to a certain degree. I don't have a problem with Kak, or really, Genesis, or some of the other extremely vitriolic posters that still exist. I have an issue with the rules not being upheld, and being set up to only slam one side. Everyone here had annoying posting habits that grated. PJ, Hammer, especially Galdus, Genya, Zog, you, Kak, Genesis, Yak, Verde.

That's kind of the point of dealing with people though. You deal with their annoying shit and if you want to give, your gonna get. And both sides gave. Only one side got when moderation stepped in.

It's over. It's in the past. The website here isn't going to recover unless this shit is put in the past, and in all honesty bitching about it isn't going to change it.

Scrolls of Lore was something special, even for fansites. It's userbase was creative, dedicated, and more than a little insane. That spark still exists.

Capitalize on it by turning it into a general geek den, with focus on story and worlds of our favorite franchises. Expand the creative section. We have VA talent here. Grab a handful of them and have then create audio libraries of all the books in game, create lore videos and shit like nobbel, for whatever franchise you want.

That will draw traffic, but it's not going to stay if we keep the A) vitriolic "We resent everyone who isn't us" attitudese, and B) unwillingness to try and move on from this.
Most of the really good users left long ago, when the shitshow began. They weren't affected directly by it, but they knew well enough where the forum was headed and just left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
And it was already a shit show because some admin decided to ban words and the rest of the mod team let it happen. And that killed any trust had in the mods. Not even slurs. Fucking Cuck. "Ohh but Cuck wasn't really banned he just said don't use it so often and in inventive ways because its a lazy insult!"
Oh god I had already forgotten about that bullshit. When you taught things couldn't get more pathetic and childish, we got that.

Cantus should have been forcefully demoted the moment he deleted the whole original spam thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
One of their main goals for the past few years has been to get me banned because I say things they don't like while following the rules. One of their favorites to bring up are the times I responded the surge in violent right-wing groups by saying I'm willing to defend myself and my family.
Let's get sincere here, you only came back after years of absence to troll during the 2016 elections. The site had been going downhill already for a while, but it's hard to take you seriously when you obviously do not care.

And you're not the only one. Many here sound like they only want the forum to exist as a trophy for some kind of moral victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That would sound legit if people like Lon Ami didn't talk about in terms of being 'forced out'.
When was the last time any of you made any effort to coexist with each other?

You didn't want half the forum here, and they left to other places, where they could talk with each other without assholes policing them. Now the site is dying. I wonder why.

Not pointing my finger at you, just talking in general. I don't follow the drama anyway, I'm mature enough to ignore the threads that don't interest me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That's pretty fucked up, even as a joke.

It seems to me the situation is irrecoverable, though. Most people who left are probably uninterested in returning, happy as they are in greener pastures. Most people who stayed seem pretty happy with themselves for not having to deal with the Enemy's shit anymore. These are very polarizing times, and I don't really see people reconciling with each other on controversial issues, which are the many elephants in the room and would thus be difficult to ignore.
A community is made of multiple individuals. If you lose a considerable amount of them, it crumbles. You'd need for multiple leavers to return at once for things to work once again, and that's not going to happen.

It's no different from a guild in any game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
The fact that Cantus is still an admin is a testament to where the forums are heading. Failure of moderation as a whole; sucks to see this place die because of it.

Cantus if you're reading this. Go fuck yourself.
Called it years ago. In retrospective, I should have pushed to become a moderator myself. I just didn't feel like we needed moderators, and cleaning bot posts wasn't important enough to risk introducing moderator powers in a no rules environment.

Let that be a lesson for everyone. If you don't care about something, someone who cares less will take charge and ruin everything for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Thats a bit harsh.

Look, Cantus ... was obviously going through some shit. End of the day, he aint a bad guy and the community would be lesser without him, bad blood even being accounted for.

This shit wasnt malicious, even if it was bad. He was trying to do good by the community, but wasnt in the right state to do so. Even if you disagreebwith him and think his ideas were stupid and drove people apart, it should be remembered he was coming from a good, if severely misguided, place.
If you can't moderate properly, then don't. A moderator must be neutral and stick to the rules. Becoming a nanny is the worst thing a moderator can do.

He was a bad guy, and the worst kind of bad guy: Someone who believes he's doing the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
For what it's worth, I cannot presume to speak for anyone else, but at least for me, I stopped being active because of 2 primary reasons-

1. The laggy site due to the old host
2. Losing most of my interest in WoW(although I prop up from time to time to look at what's going on)

Although I do not speak for anyone else, I do observe how active the Discord group is in comparison to this site. Therefore, I disagree that it is excessive moderation that led to people abandoning this site, although in the case of the more 'political' posters, I think that forum moderation might have been a cause as well.
When half your forum userbase escapes to a discord to be able to talk in peace, moderators should pull their heads out of their asses and ask themselves where they went wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
I for one would love to see a new era for the site that has a more up-to-date and robust moderation style, with clearly stated and enforced rules. The 'good-ole-boys' club approach is what set up this whole debacle in the first place. It's a relic from an outdated age of the internet. People who weren't qualified or responsible enough for the position getting a spot just because they'd been around since the beginning.
There are other better places if you're looking for a site with rules. Becoming the same thing as everyone else is what made SoL go down the shitter in the first place.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #10839  
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,906

Default

You are more than welcome to voice your opinions, but please remain civil while doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #10840  
Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,307

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
When half your forum userbase escapes to a discord to be able to talk in peace, moderators should pull their heads out of their asses and ask themselves where they went wrong.
Folks escaped to the Discord because Warlock transferred SoL over to a server made out of potatoes.

And I'd say it's a testament to the strength of SoL; that despite the forum being pretty much dead and impossible to navigate without it feeling like mid-90's internet-surfing, a whole bunch of us migrated over to a new platform to keep in touch and keep this freakshow of a community going.
__________________
My love for you is like a truck, berserker.
Would you like some making fuck, berserker?
Reply With Quote
  #10841  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,972

Default

I am not on the Discord anymore due to my personal preferences, but when I was, it was pretty much lively and active, despite no politics rule and I'd say even a bit more uptight moderation than on the forums today. So yes, I don't really see how killing the "free for all" environment had that much to do with the decline of the forums.
Reply With Quote
  #10842  
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I am not on the Discord anymore due to my personal preferences, but when I was, it was pretty much lively and active, despite no politics rule and I'd say even a bit more uptight moderation than on the forums today. So yes, I don't really see how killing the "free for all" environment had that much to do with the decline of the forums.
Nailed it. I'd also argue that having "stringent free speech" did not make SoL unique or different from the rest. Unique/different for its own sake is not a good thing. In fact, allowing toxicity and hate speech a platform here did make it unique in that it was worse than other places. When you have a moderator using homophobic slurs, or users posting racist memes, just for example, it doesn't exactly give off a welcoming vibe to the average newcomer.

Also, I think the warning system is borked. There should be one warning, followed by action. There should be a very clear line from action -> consequence. As it's written, the rules for flaming allow a toxic user 2 pages and 6 posts worth of warnings before action is taken. I feel this rule allows too much wiggle room to ride the line and stay out of official trouble. Threads can move pretty slowly sometimes. It could take days or weeks to make 2 pages worth of posts. To me, it incentivised more sporadic and non sequitur style posting, where users could come in every few days to post a few inflammatory remarks/memes, perhaps nominally "on topic", then ride off into the sunset with maybe a warning.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #10843  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,131

Orb of Lightning

There may be more than one Discord to which people fled. But I'm not supposed to know about that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #10844  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There may be more than one Discord to which people fled. But I'm not supposed to know about that.
I know of several, but why bring that up?
Reply With Quote
  #10845  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,131

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I know of several, but why bring that up?
Because people mistook the one Lon-Ami mentioned for the one everyone knows about.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #10846  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Vineyard Vineyard is offline

Arch-Druid
Vineyard's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,155

Default

*Reads through lots of pages*

Ehhmm... you guys realize that lots of problems surrounding SOl was actually already summed up years ago in it's TV Tropes Entry.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../ScrollsOfLore

As for shitty Admins:

Reminds me of how that Janime Forum died.
Reply With Quote
  #10847  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Omacron was one of the worst things to happen to the forum. A petulant, turncoat, presumptuous egocentric narcissist who sold the forum's integrity to suck Blizzard's dick and get an internship. And he didn't even try to hide it a bit.

He was the first step in the downhill of years to come, thanks to his censorship of the original Cataclysm leaks, signaling the first wave of exiles looking for a better place.

And let's not forget about his constant stream of memes and garbage posts, all while everyone who did half the same or called him out got his avatar replaced by an ass. That was SoL's definition of moderation for a few years, before the shitshow of 2016 politics put the final nails on the coffin.
If anything, my podcast was what got me my internship at Blizzard, that, and just going to Blizzcon and meeting with the people who would be my future coworkers. The cataclysm leaks was discussed between multiple moderators in the background and it was mostly Warlock and Shammy who agreed to it.

I also find it hilarious that you actually think assing was a punishment. It was a practice years before I came on and it was never more than a light chastising, usually for double posting rather than posting memes. We've always been pretty friendly to memes even before that term was used for them (back then we called them macro's).

EDIT: As for most of the people leaving the forum, I think it's more about the fact that forums in general as a part of internet culture are on their way out. It's an older technology that is itself running on older technology. I pretty much only come here to remove spam and adjudicate on bannings because things like reddit and discord are just a fare more convenient way to get the interaction that forums used to give us. Even before the mass exodus there was a trend towards mega-posts rather than individual threads and, effectively, the discord is the apotheosis of that: one long mega-post on a small variety of topics.
__________________

Last edited by Omacron; 02-20-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10848  
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,366

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Let's get sincere here, you only came back after years of absence to troll during the 2016 elections. The site had been going downhill already for a while, but it's hard to take you seriously when you obviously do not care.

And you're not the only one. Many here sound like they only want the forum to exist as a trophy for some kind of moral victory.
I came back because one of the members I've been friends with on facebook for many years now said I should stop by.

Quote:
When was the last time any of you made any effort to coexist with each other?

You didn't want half the forum here, and they left to other places, where they could talk with each other without assholes policing them. Now the site is dying. I wonder why.

Not pointing my finger at you, just talking in general. I don't follow the drama anyway, I'm mature enough to ignore the threads that don't interest me.
Most of us are able to get along and are able to contain heated arguments to the proper location. Even Ruinshin there is defending Cantus to an extent.

Quote:
When half your forum userbase escapes to a discord to be able to talk in peace, moderators should pull their heads out of their asses and ask themselves where they went wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There may be more than one Discord to which people fled. But I'm not supposed to know about that.
Now this is just funny. The ones that were "forced out" because they refused to play well with others made their own secondary discord? I wonder how long that'll last before it's a deafening echo chamber or it falls apart because they're at each other's throats over petty differences.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #10849  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There may be more than one Discord to which people fled. But I'm not supposed to know about that.
Oh really?? Now that is truly some juicy gossip.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #10850  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,188

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It just bothers me how Conservatives go on about how Liberals are too sensitive, and they need safe spaces, but then everyone on the right of the aisle left in a huff when some asshole was banned for ignoring repeated warnings to stop being a dickhead, claiming that they aren't allowed to be themselves.

Cantus pretty obviously fucked things up, mind you. It's just rich that the conservatives all decided they needed their own safe space away from the meanies who would permaban someone after several temp bans and warnings.
It isn't quite like that is it? The ban happened in an already toxic atmosphere. Cantus came back and was all huff and puff how he will restore order. And by his banned words and behavior it was clear he was politically motivated. He was was being confrontational and it was clear he was out to either target people he disagreed with or just raise hell for the heck of it. Plus he was targeting PJ specifically.

So that had already created a toxic atmosphere, especially among conservative posters who justifiably or not felt targeted and unwelcome. So what did you think would happen when Hammer was given a freaking permaban? It was too much too fast and people had enough, so they quit.

It was unfortunate and avoidable only if relevant people acted more rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Is the Rules and Regs thread really the best place for this? What is actually intended atm? What do folks like C9 and Ruin want DONE?
My post is a little bit above yours, I outline clearly what I think should have been done and what can still be done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
administrators, admins, assing, moderations, moderators, mods, no gifs allowed, regulations, rules, scrolls of lore, serious business, tag police

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.