Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Tome of Knowledge The Magnificent, Magnanimous Manual!

So recognizing that this is simultaneously the best and the worst possible place to make this kind of statement... Let me just say that I love the Warcraft 3 Manual!

I recently rectified the grievous error of not having Warcraft 3 installed on my computer first & foremost... And in the process of installing from the Battlechest CD, I picked through the books provided, and realized that it wasn't just walk-throughs, but that it also contained a Manual!

And boy have I been having fun reading it all. Flowery text, wonderfully ridiculous prose, extravagant explanations... And the history! I had forgotten so much! Apparently Varian Wrynn didn't pop up out of nowhere (as I thought when I heard about him in WoW)... And now I truly understand why Ner'zhul was called the "Lich King"! Crazy stuff.

In order to make this topic work for a living, I'll ask a question: "Am I just crazily-blinded by nostalgia goggles, or was the story/plot/etc back then actually better?" Because it sure feels like it.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 02-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
So recognizing that this is simultaneously the best and the worst possible place to make this kind of statement... Let me just say that I love the Warcraft 3 Manual!

I recently rectified the grievous error of not having Warcraft 3 installed on my computer first & foremost... And in the process of installing from the Battlechest CD, I picked through the books provided, and realized that it wasn't just walk-throughs, but that it also contained a Manual!

And boy have I been having fun reading it all. Flowery text, wonderfully ridiculous prose, extravagant explanations... And the history! I had forgotten so much! Apparently Varian Wrynn didn't pop up out of nowhere (as I thought when I heard about him in WoW)... And now I truly understand why Ner'zhul was called the "Lich King"! Crazy stuff.

In order to make this topic work for a living, I'll ask a question: "Am I just crazily-blinded by nostalgia goggles, or was the story/plot/etc back then actually better?" Because it sure feels like it.
I still like the Warcraft 2 manual, and periodically go back to it when people try to pull the "Zul'jin was totes evil guys" card.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I still like the Warcraft 2 manual, and periodically go back to it when people try to pull the "Zul'jin was totes evil guys" card.
Dude. Wc2 Battlechest is high on my list... But Starcraft comes first. I am hard-core thirsting for those backgrounds musacks, and I need to buy it anyway. My children need it.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM

Revenant - Moderator

The manuals were awesome. They really fleshed out the world.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:52 PM

Elune

The manuals were a font of glory and a high point for the RTS games.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
They were better. I can report that I've read the WC1 and WC2 manuals a good while after having played WoW, so I had no nostalgia there (unlike in the case of WC3, which I had played & read before WoW existed), and they were still better...
Old 02-05-2016, 02:55 PM

Chimaera

Probably the best manual I've ever read for any game is "First Pocket Guide to the Empire" (or "A Pocket Guide to The Empire and its environs, First Edition") that came with TES Adventures: Redguard.

http://www.imperial-library.info/con...-first-edition

Wonderful world-building + good writing.
There's also a Third Edition (the Second Edition was censured in-universe), but it's much weaker in every regard.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
Probably the best manual I've ever read for any game is "First Pocket Guide to the Empire" (or "A Pocket Guide to The Empire and its environs, First Edition") that came with TES Adventures: Redguard.

http://www.imperial-library.info/con...-first-edition

Wonderful world-building + good writing.
There's also a Third Edition (the Second Edition was censured in-universe), but it's much weaker in every regard.
Now you have the TESO 'Emperor's Guide' and it's just awful. First Edition was a lot richer.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Blizzard really knew how to do manuals, back in the day when those were a thing.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Elune

Rule 33, is best rule and most true, it is known.

But yeah WC3 manual all the way, it was what hooked me to WC3 lore. And my poor retelling of it (my English was good but not that good then) to my friend got him hooked too. The lore for various units (even though most of that got thrown by the wayside in later games) was especially awesome.

Though looking back on it now, the main thing for me was that it was my first run in with high fantasy (the basics of which already appealed to me before I knew the term high fantasy) so it well could have been any other such work to capture me and maybe I'd be on their forums right now. Life is strange.

Also the SC manual deserves an honourable mention. Which makes sense since SC-WC3 period is the highpoint of Blizz storytelling (arguably it stretches back to WC2, but I'd say Blizz was still warming up then).

Tags
blizzard, lore, nostalgia goggles, story is superior, the book is best