Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Their atrocities do not matter to me. What matters to me is how their victories are balanced against their defeats in such a way that it makes the Forsaken player and the Alliance player feel a sense of enjoyment out of the plot. The Forsaken wins some and it loses some. The forsaken player can feel competent without being gods. That's not always communicated well to the Alliance player (for further reading, see Cata), but it's fairly balanced and I can appreciate that.
The point is the Forsaken hasn't gotten a comeuppance suiting their atrocities. And this is while being easily down there with the Scourge. Not even the Orcs are like them.

Quote:
As for your question about whether the Alliance has harmed the forsaken to the point that it impedes their ability to drop plague nukes - the sense of consistency and setup, as well as the lingering ability to maintain suspension of disbelief is shot so much to hell at this point that I no longer feel comfortable making predictions about relative strengths and abilities. You HAVE to look to the writers and their biases. There's little internal consistency because this bunch doesn't care for it. So to that question? No, Sylvanas can and will drop plague when the writers want her to, and that would be just as true if she was commanding a global empire or if she was limited to a scrappy band of mercenary teenagers and the Sloop John B.
And you wonder what I call Forsaken Mary Sues for?

There are two problems with this.

Quote:
First, you can't hold up both "status quo" in the context that the Forsaken retake the Undercity AND the homogenous continents model. They directly contradict each other.
I'm saying it won't last and/or there will siginificant drawbacks to the Alliance's conquest that they won't get to use their new rewards to finally get the better of the Horde.

Quote:
Given that level of uncertainty, can I endorse a view that I know what Blizzard is going to do with the Undercity after its fall? No. I certainly can't also tell you that I agree that we can confirm that the Alliance is "trading" Ashenvale for some yet-unnamed Forsaken zone. (No, it isn't Tirisfal. We already traded Teldrassil for Tirisfal, and there's no evidence that the Alliance breaks out any further from there.)
Like I said, drawbacks.

Quote:
Just so we're on the same page of course. You know how much of a critic I am of this idea that, once you have established role choices, that an MMO developer should favor some choices over others. If they wanted to do that, they should have written a single player RPG with a set protagonist. WoW has never been that, and should never be.
Again, it's not about no darkness. It's about making the Forsaken work as a player faction that can't be wiped out.

Tags
sylvanas, world of warcraft