Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Elune

They better release a Crusader short story. Also, the collectors edition looks disappointing. Not sure if I want to buy it now. :\ I expected at least a Malthael figure/statue.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
They better release a Crusader short story. Also, the collectors edition looks disappointing. Not sure if I want to buy it now. :\ I expected at least a Malthael figure/statue.
Who on Twitter should we pester about the short story?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The Collector's Editions became disappointing the moment the in-game stuff became purchasable on-line.

Diablo 3's was pretty damn good. For 60 you got the USB stick, art book, in-game items, Diablo 2+Expansion, a mousepad (I think), the usual DvDs. Not to mention if you got the Annual Pass already they gave you 3 months of WoW time.

Last edited by Drusus; 12-23-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

When is the 2.0 patch being released?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
When is the 2.0 patch being released?
The day the AH goes down.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM

Ranger
BattleTag: Eimi#1918

So I am confused why people think Inarius/Lilith are evil. I haven't read any of the surrounding books and what I got from ingame is they created humanity/the nephalim, the angels and demons both got mad at this and jointly imprisoned them. Why do they want to destroy humanity?

Quote:
"Do they not know who we are, my brethren? We are the chosen of the Emperor, the scions of Terra. We are dominion and we are numberless. We are war itself and the death of all who oppose us. We are Humanity and we shall educate our ignorant foes as to the true meaning of that word!"
--Lord Inquisitor Aedrick Mantel of the Ordo Xenos
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
So I am confused why people think Inarius/Lilith are evil. I haven't read any of the surrounding books and what I got from ingame is they created humanity/the nephalim, the angels and demons both got mad at this and jointly imprisoned them. Why do they want to destroy humanity?
Inarius saw the power of the Nephalem as both uncontrollable and a surefire road to drawing the attention of Heaven and Hell upon Sanctuary (and himself), so he wanted to wipe out humanity.

Lilith seemed to protect them out of maternal attachment, but her later schemes suggest that she really only sees humanity as a tool for her personal use in overthrowing both Heaven and Hell.

In both cases there's probably some degree of their natures as angel and demon governing their behavior; even in spite of their rebellion against Heaven and Hell, ultimately Inarius and Lilith both returned to type when faced with the Nephalem "problem", with Inarius trying to contain and eliminate humanity's potential for chaos, while Lilith tried to capitalize on it.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
In both cases there's probably some degree of their natures as angel and demon governing their behavior; even in spite of their rebellion against Heaven and Hell, ultimately Inarius and Lilith both returned to type when faced with the Nephalem "problem", with Inarius trying to contain and eliminate humanity's potential for chaos, while Lilith tried to capitalize on it.
That's pretty much how I took it.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Inarius also wanted to rule and saw mankind as a threat.

Speaking of which, with the prime evils gone forever what will happen to inarius?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

just beat the game.

It was wonderful.

Spoilers below beware:

Diablo is free as is likely the other evils I think, Malthael destroyed it (consumed)
feels like next diablo will be diablo 4 :/
Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Dear Crusader:

I love you. You are the class I have been waiting for all this time, the return of my beloved knightly D1 warrior and D2 paladin.

Genesis
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
just beat the game.

It was wonderful.

Spoilers below beware:

Diablo is free as is likely the other evils I think, Malthael destroyed it (consumed)
feels like next diablo will be diablo 4 :/
D3 is going to have several expansions.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:09 AM

Elune

5 bucks on imperius as a bad guy.
Quote:
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

So I haven't been following the game since my new, stopgap computer can't run it.

Back when I was working at Blizzard I got Brian Kindregan to spill the game's plot to me. Can someone give me a rundown of it so I can see how much the story changed since summer 2012?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

My game keeps freezing in the briarthorn cemetery and i want to break a window???///

Last edited by Porimlys; 03-25-2014 at 01:42 AM..
Old 03-25-2014, 05:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
So I haven't been following the game since my new, stopgap computer can't run it.

Back when I was working at Blizzard I got Brian Kindregan to spill the game's plot to me. Can someone give me a rundown of it so I can see how much the story changed since summer 2012?
The hero goes to westmarch,kills lots of reaping angels, through the power of plot device it is discovered Aidria is nearby and we somehow know she knows where Maltheal is hiding.
So the hero goes there, sees shes looking at an illusion of Pandemonium and after killing mutant Aidria we make the clearly logical logic jump that Maltheal is hiding in Pandemonium.
So the hero and Tyreal swing by via Heaven, find out Maltheal has attacked there too (because reasons?)and Imperius comes along to Pandemonium with us to kill mobs and belittle the hero, we invade Pandemonium fortress, out of nowhere the diablo 2 sorceress's ghost (I was a wizard I assume its someone else for other classes) turns up to explain the plot, while Tyreal explains what Maltheal's plan is (hes somehow going to use the stone to destroy all demonic souls, which means the half-demonic humans will die too, this is his plan for ending the eternal conflict)
At this point it occurs to Tyreal to tell me I cant kill maltheal until I am between the living and the dead like him, 5 minutes later with that plot speedbump sorted its time to kill him.
Half way through the fight Maltheal shatters and absorbs the black soulstone because he wanted the fireball powerup, he dies, the evil stored in the soulstone is released, Tyreal muses with forboding on the possible future corruption of the Hero, roll credits!

It was all very much par the course for Diablo and I found it completely uninsipiring and dull, the side-quest storylines with the followers (and Shen) were far more interesting than the main plot.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:45 AM

Elune

wait, how become living and dead? sword of infinite truths? and whats this about corruption?And why cant maltheal be killed unless your in a harry potter state.
Quote:
I love you.
Quote:
based neokitty
Quote:

Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
wait, how become living and dead? sword of infinite truths? and whats this about corruption?And why cant maltheal be killed unless your in a harry potter state.
Honestly I cant remember why I had to go all transendence on him (I was pretty tired by this point), just that it was thrown up as a plot point and solved 5 minutes later, it was also Tyreal's explanation for why his sword passed through him, rather than the far more interesting explanation of "well his cause is technically just, since his plan is to win the eternal conflict for the 'good' side"
Old 03-25-2014, 06:00 AM

Elune

yeah, seems like a plothole that he`s literally unkillable unless your dead too, considering he`s just a normal angel with a namechange.
Quote:
I love you.
Quote:
based neokitty
Quote:

Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

After Diablo is defeated by the Nephalem (the player character), Tyrael recovers the Black Soulstone that contains the essence of all seven of the Great Evils. Knowing it is too dangerous to leave it in the hands of mortals or angels, he and six Horadrim take the Black Soulstone back to Sanctuary and attempt to seal it away where it can never be found - deep in the tomb of Rakkis, the first King of Westmarch, the kingdom established to the west of Khanduras. However, the group is ambushed by Malthael, former Archangel of Wisdom and member of the Angiris Council, who had disappeared after the destruction of the Worldstone twenty years earlier after it was corrupted by Baal the Lord of Destruction (at the end of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction). Now calling himself the "Angel of Death", Malthael kills all but one of the Horadrim and incapacitates Tyrael, and takes the Black Soulstone.

Tyrael sends the surviving Horadrim, Lorath Nahr, to locate the Nephalem. Nahr encounters the Nephalem outside Westmarch City, which has been overrun by the Reapers, Malthael's army of enslaved spirits and renegade angels. With the gates blocked, the Nephalem fights through the city sewers to the Zakarum cathedral in the city center, where they encounter Tyrael. Tyrael reveals that with Diablo gone, Malthael sees humanity as a race of demons based on their descent from the original Nephalem, the offspring of angels and demons; by wiping out humanity, Malthael hopes to end the Eternal Conflict between Heaven and Hell. A sliver broke off from the Black Soulstone when Malthael took it, and Tyrael attempts to use it to discover Malthael's plans. The Reapers deploy two soul crucibles into Westmarch City to claim the souls of the dead, and the Nephalem locates and destroys them, earning the ire of Urzael, Malthael's chief lieutenant. The Nephalem tracks Urzael down into a high tower and defeats him.

The Nephalem learns from Myriam Jahzia, a mystic rescued during the attack against the soul crucibles, that Adria (the witch of Tristram from the original game, who is revealed to have been a servant of Diablo in Diablo III) is in Westmarch seeking to locate the Black Soulstone and resurrect her master again. Travelling into the ancient ruins in the Blood Marsh outside Westmarch, the Nephalem confronts Adria, who manages to locate Malthael at the Pandemonium Fortress (last seen in Diablo II), built in the realm between Heaven and Hell to watch over the Worldstone. She then transforms into a winged demonic creature, claiming that Diablo sent her a vision of his return at the hands of the Nephalem, after which the Nephalem slays her. Upon learning of Malthael's location, Tyrael takes the Nephalem back into the High Heavens, where they find the Pandemonium Gate under attack by Malthael's Reapers. Upon defeating the attackers, they are met by Imperius, the commander of Heaven's armies, who reluctantly admits that Malthael must be stopped and leads the Nephalem into the Realm of Pandemonium. Imperius directs the Nephalem to use an ancient battering ram to breach the fortress gates, using siege runes held by the demons trapped there.

Tyrael arrives just as the Nephalem prepares to activate the ram, revealing that he has discovered Malthael's plan; he intends to use the Black Soulstone to consume all demonic essence in Sanctuary, including that which makes up the bloodline of humanity, leading to its extinction. After breaching the gates, Tyrael informs the Nephalem that they must become "one with death", as Malthael is, in order to defeat him. Inside the fortress, the Nephalem encounters a mentor from their past (dependent on their class) who directs them to unlock the soul prison kept in its depths. The Nephalem channels the spirits from the prison and takes on an aspect of death themselves, before moving on to defeat the guardians that bar the way to Malthael's sanctum at the heart of the fortress.

The Nephalem holds their own against Malthael for a time, until he shatters the Black Soulstone and takes the power of the Seven Evils within himself, unwittingly releasing Diablo and fulfilling Adria's final prophecy. The Nephalem ultimately triumphs, striking down Malthael and saving mankind from his attempt to exterminate it. As Tyrael and Imperius look on after the Nephalem's victory, Tyrael sees the Nephalem in a new light: a protector of the innocent who can confront the most powerful champions of Heaven and Hell alike. Yet in the end the Nephalem still has a mortal heart that can be corrupted, and Tyrael wonders if the Nephalem will remain the savior, or become the doom of all creation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:58 AM

Drunk Assassin

Loved Imperius's representation in this game. He seems to have mellowed -just- slightly and from the end cinematic where he appears with Tyrael to observe Malthael's fall, perhaps indicating he's starting change his opinions (He also helped the main character break into Pandemonium Fortress, that's pretty major).

Not enough to not be a dick, but enough to not be a villain. I hope they keep with this direction for him, rather than do the obvious thing and have him try to wipe out humanity.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Loved every minute of it and cannot wait to do all the separate stuff i probably missed and adventure mode! First though to level a Crusader .

I expect a lot of epic stuff to come in the next expansion for sure .

Run
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Arch-Druid

I personally liked the subplot, were we concluded the Templar storyarc.
In an instanced scenario, the Templar and the Nethalem finally confront the Grandmaster of the Order, confirming that he was responable for the corruption of the order in the first place.

After we kill the Grandmaster, you can talk with the Templar. He is no longer bound to his oath and wonders what the futur holds up to him. Oh, and he is still to shy to ask the Enchantress for a date.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Any interesting sideplots?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Any interesting sideplots?
The Templar and the Enchantress kinda get closure on their stories, the scoudrel gets a story that ends in a "to be continued" plot twist, The truth is revealed about Covetous Shen!

Tags
diablo, rapper of souls, speculation