Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlee View Post
Because it's totally fine to kill someone if they can defend themselves, amirite?
I never said anything about the morality of it. I took issue with Fojar saying it was cold-blooded. Beyond that, you can make your own judgements.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 AM

So attacking and killing someone that can defend themselves is not cold-blooded murder?
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
So attacking and killing someone that can defend themselves is not cold-blooded murder?
You wanna call it murder, whatever (the Alliance would never try them for it, they'd just throw them back into their little useless camps). But in two sided combat it's not cold blooded. Those soldiers weren't caught unawares, this wasn't a sneak attack, they weren't helpless by any means. The only disadvantage they really had was that they were stupid enough to call the orcs out before they had any kind of tactical advantage. If they'd been intelligent, they might have called for reinforcements, but they'd definitely have deployed, surrounded the orcs, and then maybe have given the speech about violating the internment act. As it was, they practically invited the orcs to attack them. We can probably look to this as the first appearance of Alliance based "Lawful Stupid"

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-17-2014 at 08:19 PM..
Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
The only disadvantage they really had was that they were stupid enough to call the orcs out before they had any kind of tactical advantage. If they'd been intelligent, they might have called for reinforcements, but they'd definitely have deployed, surrounded the orcs, and then maybe have given the speech about violating the internment act. As it was, they practically invited the orcs to attack them. We can probably look to this as the first appearance of Alliance based "Lawful Stupid"
If they hadn't used peasants to rebuild that bridge in the cutscene, Thrall would still be trapped on that bit of land. Trapped forever...
Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
If they hadn't used peasants to rebuild that bridge in the cutscene, Thrall would still be trapped on that bit of land. Trapped forever...
Mannoroth would have had an infinitely easier time finding the orcs.

Actually, I have to wonder what Thrall's plan was there. Cut down trees and build some ships on the spot? He might have been able to pull that off.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Say what you will about the rest of it, but cold blood? Humans picked that fight, not orcs. And cold blood only works if the victims aren't armed and fighting back. Humans called orcs out, orcs responded, and took the spoils of the battle. End of mission.
Agreed, killing cops is okay as long as they're trying to arrest you.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Not what I said. You obviously (conveniently perhaps?) missed the conversation I had with Westlee on the subject. Take about 60 seconds to read the first few posts on this page and you'll realize we're past this point.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 PM

Eternal

Oh it said LEAST favorite hahaha...

Yeah i don't like most of the fraction leaders. God they are so boring.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:59 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's not a police action. If it was it's more, the cops immediately go in guns blazing the moment they see you. When two armies face off, or guerrillas launch a raid on an army post.that's not murder. That's military combat.

Thrall ultimately tried to limit casualties as much as he could when freeing the camps, and many of the people in the camps were the children of the veterans who unlike their parents were blameless yet still subject to the shit conditions of the camp. Incidentally that's my main reason for saying the faction war is pretty much Daelin's fault (hence why he's burning in hell). The orcs may have been starting to let go, realize human's aren't all bad..Daelin's genocidal attack basically destroyed whatever good will Jaina built up because at best they think most humans are Daelin.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 AM

Elune

Daelin did nothing wrong.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Daelin did nothing wrong.
His perspective was understandable.But the fact is the orcs did have a truce with the alliance before Daelin attacked; his actions would have helped reignite a lot of bad blood (I already explained how orcs who grew up in the camps would resent humans). He bares responsibility for what happened afterwards to an extent.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
His perspective was understandable.But the fact is the orcs did have a truce with the alliance before Daelin attacked; his actions would have helped reignite a lot of bad blood (I already explained how orcs who grew up in the camps would resent humans). He bares responsibility for what happened afterwards to an extent.
Implying the Orcs/Horde wouldn't have found some other excuse (see; Internment Camps) to be butthurt anyway.

Christ, my posting quality has been devolving into TP levels recently.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Why would Daelin recognize a truce or treaty he knew nothing of and never endorsed?

Honestly, that should have been a wake up call for the Horde. That they can't run from or bury their past, but it seems that's all they've ever done. That they need to actually answer what they've done and compensate their victims.

Otherwise they'll keep getting attacked...if the Alliance weren't stupid of course.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Why would Daelin recognize a truce or treaty he knew nothing of and never endorsed?

Honestly, that should have been a wake up call for the Horde. That they can't run from or bury their past, but it seems that's all they've ever done. That they need to actually answer what they've done and compensate their victims.

Otherwise they'll keep getting attacked...if the Alliance weren't stupid of course.
And who in the Alliance was in a state to attack them? Ironforge was the only Alliance Nation that hadn't just been smashed in the face by a giant boulder, and they've never really had a navy (I'm not sure they do yet).

In the mean time, they certainly weren't running from their past when they defeated Daelin.

Hell, like I said before, the Alliance is lucky Thrall and Rexxar weren't the sort to conquer, because after Theramore, I don't think the Alliance could have stopped them.

I should really get on topic.

I don't share people's hatred of Thrall, Anduin, Malfurion or Tirion (I actually like most of them with the exception of Malfurion, in whom I have no interest). Even characters that I hate, such as Garithos and Garrosh, I hate because they were meant for me to hate, so I don't complain about them. They serve their purpose.

I'd say the joke characters are the ones that bother me the most. Caricatures such as Budd Nedreck, Harrison Jones (definitely Harrison Jones) and that idiotic troll who sells soap on a rope (albeit there are fewer of these characters that I've noticed Horde side). Oh, and the Rambo caricature from Redridge. I suppose if there's a Horde Character I've got a problem with it's gonna be Rend and Maim. They seem like such a waste to me. Back in the Warcraft II days, I used to imagine them undermining Blackhand, riding out with the raiders he supposedly disbanded, Rend moving up to the Black Rock while Maim maintained the Black Tooth Grin.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-18-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM

Eternal

Because Thrall went from a great character to a shitty character that is always spared the consequences of his many many mistakes that led to pain and suffering of others.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Banished

Alliance:

Velen. He and his race are a bunch of Mary Sues

Moira. Ugly fat stupid bitch

Vereesa. Arrogant and stupid

Horde:

The flawless orc characters.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Implying the Orcs/Horde wouldn't have found some other excuse (see; Internment Camps) to be butthurt anyway.

It really has. You are becoming the Alliance version of TP. Good evening.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Banished

Quote:
The difference is you can atleast notice that, and laugh about it/at yourself.

TP is a different story altogether.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
It's not a police action. If it was it's more, the cops immediately go in guns blazing the moment they see you. When two armies face off, or guerrillas launch a raid on an army post.that's not murder. That's military combat.

Thrall ultimately tried to limit casualties as much as he could when freeing the camps, and many of the people in the camps were the children of the veterans who unlike their parents were blameless yet still subject to the shit conditions of the camp. Incidentally that's my main reason for saying the faction war is pretty much Daelin's fault (hence why he's burning in hell). The orcs may have been starting to let go, realize human's aren't all bad..Daelin's genocidal attack basically destroyed whatever good will Jaina built up because at best they think most humans are Daelin.
Mm yes tell me more about how trying to re-imprison prisoners after a jailbreak isn't a police action.

I'd also like to hear more about how the Orcs getting their feelings hurt and reacting by embarking on a war of extermination is the fault of the person who hurt their feelings and not the Orcs.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Ranger
BattleTag: Eimi#1918

For least favorite Alliance character...does Tirion count? Because it so Tirion, that self righteous blind spineless paladin.

Otherwise MoP Varian for, while he did mellow out and that's fine, he forgot that past Varian had damn good reasons for being pissed off.

As for the Horde it has to be Thrall. I mean I hate Sylvanas, but her actions are meant to be hated...at least half the time. The other half of the time you are just supposed to forget anything but her midriff.

However Thrall is meant to be one of, if not the overarching hero of Warcraft, the saviour of Azeroth...and he's a terrible leader, and has made some serious mistakes that no one ever gets to call him out on. Someone compared Thrall to Londo from Babylon 5, and it kind of works, in that both of them put me in power who basically turned out to be Hitler. However Londo is broken by seeing this, becomes a different person and tries to make things right in what little ways he can. Thrall...acts exactly the same as he's always been.

Quote:
"Do they not know who we are, my brethren? We are the chosen of the Emperor, the scions of Terra. We are dominion and we are numberless. We are war itself and the death of all who oppose us. We are Humanity and we shall educate our ignorant foes as to the true meaning of that word!"
--Lord Inquisitor Aedrick Mantel of the Ordo Xenos
Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
For least favorite Alliance character...does Tirion count? Because it so Tirion, that self righteous blind spineless paladin.

Otherwise MoP Varian for, while he did mellow out and that's fine, he forgot that past Varian had damn good reasons for being pissed off.

As for the Horde it has to be Thrall. I mean I hate Sylvanas, but her actions are meant to be hated...at least half the time. The other half of the time you are just supposed to forget anything but her midriff.

However Thrall is meant to be one of, if not the overarching hero of Warcraft, the saviour of Azeroth...and he's a terrible leader, and has made some serious mistakes that no one ever gets to call him out on. Someone compared Thrall to Londo from Babylon 5, and it kind of works, in that both of them put me in power who basically turned out to be Hitler. However Londo is broken by seeing this, becomes a different person and tries to make things right in what little ways he can. Thrall...acts exactly the same as he's always been.
Meli, the lost! You should post more often.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Ranger
BattleTag: Eimi#1918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
Meli, the lost! You should post more often.
Yeah I've been rather busy irl, but the expansion speculation at least had me interested. I still like to talk about WoW lore, though the new models are now as much of a turn off for me as I thought the story would be. Also I post a lot on SA now.

Quote:
"Do they not know who we are, my brethren? We are the chosen of the Emperor, the scions of Terra. We are dominion and we are numberless. We are war itself and the death of all who oppose us. We are Humanity and we shall educate our ignorant foes as to the true meaning of that word!"
--Lord Inquisitor Aedrick Mantel of the Ordo Xenos
Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Mm yes tell me more about how trying to re-imprison prisoners after a jailbreak isn't a police action.

I'd also like to hear more about how the Orcs getting their feelings hurt and reacting by embarking on a war of extermination is the fault of the person who hurt their feelings and not the Orcs.

He didn't hurt their feelings. He tried to commit mass murder. He wanted to exterminate every man woman and child. Daelin was a monster by that point, and yes he deserved to die for what he did. Jaina did the right thing allowing the Horde to kill his ass.

Also the horde DID try to limit civilian casualties during the camp liberations.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
He didn't hurt their feelings. He tried to commit mass murder. He wanted to exterminate every man woman and child. Daelin was a monster by that point, and yes he deserved to die for what he did. Jaina did the right thing allowing the Horde to kill his ass.

Also the horde DID try to limit civilian casualties during the camp liberations.
So let's see:

Daelin: Wanted to commit mass murder = horrible monster

Horde: Actually committed mass murder = victims
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
(hence why he's burning in hell)
Unless you're as bad as Arthas/Sylvanas, you don't go to Warcraft's Hell. And since generally speaking humans go into the Light...

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.

Tags
characterization, shitty writing