Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2015, 10:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
It has its faults. Story is a bit sparse and I'm sure you've heard talk about the ending. I think it is still enjoyable, though. With 77 hours played I feel I've gotten my money's worth, at least.
I haven't. I know next to nothing about. I may pick it up then.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:52 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I think they shot themselfs a bit in the foot by (halfway through spoilers!)making so damn clear that after a transfer there is a copy and an original. Completely destroys the whole "am i X?"-angle because you can just walk over and shake X's hand. They should have left it ambigious by killing/deleting/emptying the original, leaving the player to wonder if the new simon is a copy or the transferred original.

edit: also, one thing that annoys me to no end: the game has been teasing whales the entire game and i didn't get to see a SINGLE whale! But at least it's good to know that some animal life made it.
I'm not sure I agree. Choosing whether to kill the "original" Simon at Omicron was one of the most emotional moments in the game in my opinion. As for the "am I X?"-angle I don't think it destroys it, but asks it in a different way. This entity has all of your memories, personality, and would for all intents and purposes be identical to you, so whose to say it isn't you? John Dies at the End has the same ethical debate happen, comparing the protagonist having an replica of him made that killed and replaced him to an axe that you keep having to replace parts from over time until none of the original parts remain. Is it the same axe? Is Dave (the protagonist of JDatE) the same Dave? Is Simon the same Simon?

A whale does appear in one of the live action teasers (if you meant a WAU-infested whale, that would probably be too deadly).

Last edited by Insane Guy of Doom; 09-30-2015 at 12:56 AM..
Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Choosing whether to kill the "original" Simon at Omicron was one of the most emotional moments in the game in my opinion.

That's not what i meant, but even that doesn't really work wih an action late in the game - you through to the end yet?

Quote:
As for the "am I X?"-angle I don't think it destroys it, but asks it in a different way. This entity has all of your memories, personality, and would for all intents and purposes be identical to you, so whose to say it isn't you?
That "You" would.
The problem is that the game makes it unmistakingly clear that the copy is, well, a copy. The copy might look, sound, feel and listen to the same name as Simon, but from the very moment it spawns it makes unique memories, thinks unique thoughts, is physically somebody else. If you took two identical brothers and locked them up in a black room and let them out after twenty years they'd be identical too - but you wouldn't call them the same person either.

Quote:
John Dies at the End has the same ethical debate happen, comparing the protagonist having an replica of him made that killed and replaced him to an axe that you keep having to replace parts from over time until none of the original parts remain. Is it the same axe? Is Dave (the protagonist of JDatE) the same Dave? Is Simon the same Simon?
He's A Simon. And i think a better comparison would be a book telling a story with an open ending. Imagine, say, The Lord Of The Rings was a one-book-deal without an ending, just a bunch of white pages at the end. I give you that book for Christmas and two years later i give you another copy of the book. You've scribbled your own ending in the first one but now you have a new version of it - it's unmistakingly the same story up until the white pages, but it's not the same book. And from the moment you got the first one you have made the story - not just within the book, but also the story of that book - it's very own. You could certainly start applying the same scribbled words to the second one but it will always be it's own deal.

Quote:
A whale does appear in one of the live action teasers (if you meant a WAU-infested whale, that would probably be too deadly).
Nah, i meant normal whales i kept hearing them in the distance and thought a scene pretty identical to that in the teaser was going to happen at some point.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Is MGS:V as good as it seems?
Answering that question with a simple yes or no would be doing injustice to the question as well as to the game, so I will briefly give you a general idea about it's gameplay, without spoiling the story.

There is no denying the fact that the game is enormously fun. The stealth is great, the action is great, the World is huge. There is atleast a hundred or so hours of content here, and there is a possibility of re-playability as well.

When it comes to optimization, the game works well on all platforms. It works smoothly, I get good and stable frame-rates, despite having it on high settings, and temperatures are relatively fine as well.

However, the game does have flaws, and those flaws are not minor. Take the controls for the PC version. Despite playing with a mouse and keyboard, I get controller prompts. There is absolutely no mouse support in menus, meaning that you have to use the arrow keys to navigate. The keyboard controls are bizarre. The game is definitely controller-focused, so if you plan to play it on PC, use a controller.

The World is so vast, and yet, emptier and more desolate then Fallout 3. I know it's Afghanistan but that doesn't mean it's emptiness is justified. The side missions are repetitive from the start, and the main missions too become like that later on. Suppressors really suck in this, and for some reason, it's easier to procure bigger and more powerful guns then to procure something as simple as a silencer attachment. There was no point to this game being open world, for free-roaming and exploring isn't any fun in this.

It's a good game, but definitely not a 94/100 as Metacritic gave it.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 09-30-2015 at 04:49 AM..
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
I haven't. I know next to nothing about. I may pick it up then.
Ah, surprised.

Quote:
However, the game does have flaws, and those flaws are not minor. Take the controls for the PC version. Despite playing with a mouse and keyboard, I get controller prompts. There is absolutely no mouse support in menus, meaning that you have to use the arrow keys to navigate. The keyboard controls are bizarre. The game is definitely controller-focused, so if you plan to play it on PC, use a controller.
This is definitely true, though I have had no problems getting used to using a keyboard/mouse. Part of that is sheer stubbornness on my part, as I hate aiming with a controller (the game's aim adjustment thing seems rather strong, too. I remember actually having to fight it at the start (since it starts on) just so I could actually aim at a guy's head rather than his torso). That's not to say that it is hard to control with a keyboard/mouse. Its a bit awkward to get through menus, yes, and choosing the dialogue option you want when you have a guard held up can be difficult if you have a buddy with you (since you get orders for them too. Tip: Mouse scrollwheel lets you choose the option, the hit space, works that way too).

It is rather amazing that they didn't even bother to change out the controller prompts, though. I have to imagine they did to differentiate between Playstaiton and Xbox versions, surely, so why not do the same here?

As for the open world being rather empty, I don't entirely mind it myself, it gives it a bit of a beauty and sense of scale. But I get why it bothers others. And when it comes to silencers, honestly its rather stupid how easy it is to procure another. You can simply order a supply drop, which includes it, and any bonus ammo you don't need gets refunded. With how easy it is to replace the silencer, one has to wonder why even bother with having it degrade?

(Also when you eventually unlock the infinite ammo bandanna, it also gives you infinite silencer, so meh)

One other thing to bear in mind when choosing the version you want (as said, the PC version works beautifully, if you go that route), the Metal Gear Online section is delayed by months for PC. MGO comes out next month for consoles. Us PC players aren't getting it until January. Still not sure why that is. But then again, Konami was originally planning on releasing the PC version over two weeks after consoles, so someone's got their head up their ass over there.

I'll definitely agree that the game doesn't deserve all the high praises its getting. It has its flaws, but it is still a solid game overall, and like I said, I certainly got my money's worth. I still get on for a bit every day and futz about just to have fun.

Though, having said that, fuck Konami and their weird microtransaction-like shit they put in there. There's not a lot but there are online missions you can send your followers (kinda sounding like WoD, doesn't it?). The missions continue even if you aren't playing (unlike offline missions), and rewards (particularly the high ranked ones) can be good. But the times are...I felt my eyes bug out when I saw the one I just sent a squad on. 11.6 days. Wtf? Though to be fair, not like they're doing anything else.

edit: Unrelated, but from that SMTxFE game revealed some more "mirages" or "Performas" or whatever they're calling it (basically, the spirits of Fire Emblem characters). Tharja and Virion from Awakening.

I'm amused at how Tharja's form is actually less fanservicey.

Meanwhile, Virion is fabulous~

Last edited by Arakiba; 09-30-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Old 09-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Eternal

Been playing a little bit of Blood Bowl Chaos Edition since the second game was released recently and I'm not sure if I wanna buy it. I have kind of a love-hate-relationship with BB. On the one hand, it's incredibly fun with all the different races and team compositions adding a lot of variety to how you can play each race. On the other hand, if Nuffle fucks you over, I know no game that is more infuriating.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Elune

Thanks for the recommendations of MGS:V.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:03 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations of MGS:V.
Recommendation against it: read ending spoilers. Do it. If it doesn't bother you it won't have any effect on the game. If it does i spared you 60 bucks.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Recommendation against it: read ending spoilers. Do it. If it doesn't bother you it won't have any effect on the game. If it does i spared you 60 bucks.
I don't really care if I do or not. Metal Gear dialogue might be worth the $60.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:30 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Metal Gear dialogue might be worth the $60.
Yeah that's kinda my point. If you're into lore read up first.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Elune

Can you replace the helicopter music in console versions? If not you people are getting cheated.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
Can you replace the helicopter music in console versions? If not you people are getting cheated.
Nope, that's a PC only feature.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Been playing a little bit of Blood Bowl Chaos Edition since the second game was released recently and I'm not sure if I wanna buy it. I have kind of a love-hate-relationship with BB. On the one hand, it's incredibly fun with all the different races and team compositions adding a lot of variety to how you can play each race. On the other hand, if Nuffle fucks you over, I know no game that is more infuriating.
Yeah, RNG is, and always shall be, a bit of a bitch. You see it in Hearthstone, and you definitely notice it in Blood Bowl. Nothing quite like rolling Triple Skulls, somehow passing Loner, and going right back into Triple Skulls.

...I watch a lot of Blood Bowl.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I beat SOMA, I liked the ending for the most part, barring as Rotal mentioned, Simon's odd reaction to not being on the Ark. You'd think he would have figured it out by then. There are a few questions in the story I'm still confused about though.

- If the poisoned structure gel in Simon's new suit is what's causing him to kill the WAU when he interfaces with it, why did interfacing with it kill those nodes in his old suit, which was made by the WAU?

- What happened to Akers? He's built up as some sort of villain, but he never actually appears, unless one of the proxies is supposed to be him.

- Catherine says that Simon isn't crazy like the other robots because he's got a partially human body to ground his mind with. Even then he still thought he was human for awhile, and maybe that's why he has such a hard time accepting that brain uploading doesn't work. But then, why does Catherine, who has no real body outside of the Omnitool, act perfectly sane and aware of her true identity?

- Catherine uploads herself to the Ark at the end, but if all the scans were already uploaded before, shouldn't she already be on it? Are there two Catherines now?

- As many others have said, I think the horror elements were a bit off. Either the game should have stuck to the tone it had in the original teasers and gameplay trailer, which the horror elements fit into fine, or it should have abandoned them.

- Lastly, what happened to Catherine when she just turned off at the end? At first I thought it was a sign that Simon killing the WAU had begun to take effect, but then I found out killing the WAU is optional somehow, and the ending doesn't change.

Aside from those, I really enjoyed the game, and look forward to what Frictional does next. Maybe some DLC to explain what became of Simon after the ending?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:05 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
- If the poisoned structure gel in Simon's new suit is what's causing him to kill the WAU when he interfaces with it, why did interfacing with it kill those nodes in his old suit, which was made by the WAU?
Best i can come up with is either Gameplay and Story Segregation or he simply ate up all of those nodes' power. Note how the WAU-stuff all over the place seems to be a power hog so running an undead robot probably takes a lot.

Quote:
- What happened to Akers? He's built up as some sort of villain, but he never actually appears, unless one of the proxies is supposed to be him.
He DOES come across like cut content, yeah.

- Catherine says that Simon isn't crazy like the other robots because he's got a partially human body to ground his mind with. Even then he still thought he was human for awhile, and maybe that's why he has such a hard time accepting that brain uploading doesn't work. But then, why does Catherine, who has no real body outside of the Omnitool, act perfectly sane and aware of her true identity?[/quote]
The answer probably lies in accepting how the brain upload works - Simon is just insane enough to survive the revelation but Catherine knew from the start how it would go so there's no going-mad from it from her. We also don't really know, i think, how she ended up in a robot body; chances are she started out like Simon as a WAU experiment (unless i missed her robot-copy's origin story) in a human body too.

Quote:
- Catherine uploads herself to the Ark at the end, but if all the scans were already uploaded before, shouldn't she already be on it? Are there two Catherines now?
Probably overwrites the old copy. Do you really think Catherine of all people would care? Would even think about it? All that matters to her is that a Catherine is present.

Quote:
- As many others have said, I think the horror elements were a bit off. Either the game should have stuck to the tone it had in the original teasers and gameplay trailer, which the horror elements fit into fine, or it should have abandoned them.
Aye.

Quote:
- Lastly, what happened to Catherine when she just turned off at the end? At first I thought it was a sign that Simon killing the WAU had begun to take effect, but then I found out killing the WAU is optional somehow, and the ending doesn't change.[/SPOILER]
I sure would like to know how one is supposed to NOT kill the WAU oO I read on TvTropes that it was a choice later on but if so they hid that one well.
I think Catherine just overloaded on anger and frustration about Simon's stupidity. Remember how Simon's state of mind is one the feature that makes him so stable? All the other robots seem to go insane or destroy themselfs. Catherine probably escaped this by having a rational mind who knew exactly what was going on, but as soon as her calm was challenged by THE DUMBEST MOTHERFUCKER I EVER PLAYED AS her emotions probably broke something.
Also smells horribly like DLC bait, just like Ackers.

Aside from those, I really enjoyed the game, and look forward to what Frictional does next. Maybe some DLC to explain what became of Simon after the ending?[/QUOTE]
Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

paradox games are on 80% sale.

brb.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:46 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
paradox games are on 80% sale.

brb.
Sweet jesus, get them while they're hot sonny jim. Get as much DLC as you can.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 10-02-2015, 03:46 AM

Banished

Getting one of those 50 euro cards from gamestop.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:00 PM

Elune

Started playing Persona 4 Dancing All Night. I'm really not that good at rhythm games, though I'm doing decently. Still, enjoying it, music's good, story is about what you'd expect for a spinoff about dancing to beat shadows with the power of Bonds?.

There are some oddities, though. Some of the character models (visual novel cut in ones, anyway) are a bit odd at times (Yosuke's got some serious derp eyes in one of them, one of the girls from the idol team looks...off) and the idol team's whole meat schtick is really offputting (Japan, you weird).

And finally, Rise's replacement is...decent. She's no Laura Bailey, but I can stomach her. But she definitely isn't as good a replacement as Matt Mercer was for Troy Baker as Kanji (who, frankly, was the best person to replace Baker with, he does such a good job) and Sam Riegal replacing Dave Wittenberg for Teddie.

Unrelated, but Undertale has shmup elements? Count me more interested now.

Last edited by Arakiba; 10-02-2015 at 05:14 PM..
Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Eternal

I didnt get dancing all night cause i have no money.

Anyway, every character sucks but Yu, Adachi, and Mr. ALL YO YENS.

Also troy baker and that stupid ashley girl suck.

Last edited by Arashi; 10-02-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Old 10-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Dancing All Night is not out for a month now in the UK .

Run
Old 10-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Dancing All Night is not out for a month now in the UK .
At least you're still getting it this year. People still talk about the whole P4Arena game taking over a year or so, as I recall.

So...progress?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Eternal

American english is best english.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
American english is best english.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:04 AM

Banished