Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Arch-Druid

It's kinda funny to read all the random blabber from people unfamiliar with this period/universe that probably expect it to be a super upbeat and pretty happy (atleast in the end), without knowing all the death and depressing shit that happens. It's certaintly an experience to watch, I'll say that much.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I am well aware of that but the thing is; can we consider the movie a mere adaptation? The LotR films were just that; but they have described Warcraft Cinematic Universe as their re-imagination of Azeroth, full of its own material, including comic books, novels or art books. Can we still consider it a simple adaptation at that point?
The LotR films also came with art books and games based on the movie rather than the books. The main difference is that LotR already had a very detailed story in the books, whereas the details of the First War are kind of fuzzy.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurehax View Post
It's kinda funny to read all the random blabber from people unfamiliar with this period/universe that probably expect it to be a super upbeat and pretty happy (atleast in the end), without knowing all the death and depressing shit that happens. It's certaintly an experience to watch, I'll say that much.
Can't wait for when they reveal that Medivh is evil and Stormwind gets destroyed. People will lose it that the "good guys" didn't win.

Also I really hope they keep in Lothar's confrontation with Medivh. In the funeral scene Khadgar still looks young, so either it takes place after that, they took out a potentially awesome shot of Khadgar getting the life sucked from him, or removed it altogether.

Last edited by Veleth95; 01-25-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Elune

SW doesn't get destroyed.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Is this even Warcraft anymore?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 AM

Huntress

SW will be destroyed ofc. There is no another way if they are aimed on sequels.
Also Garona's poster has a burning SW on the background.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Cannot wait for this film .

Run
Old 01-26-2016, 05:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleth95 View Post
Can't wait for when they reveal that Medivh is evil and Stormwind gets destroyed. People will lose it that the "good guys" didn't win.

Also I really hope they keep in Lothar's confrontation with Medivh. In the funeral scene Khadgar still looks young, so either it takes place after that, they took out a potentially awesome shot of Khadgar getting the life sucked from him, or removed it altogether.
Will they though?

We're running the gauntlet of the Game of Thrones period of media, where 'OMG THE GOOD GUYS LOST/DIED HORRIBLY, WHAT A TWIST!11!' is the big thing. As somebody who was always a fan of grittier realism and good people getting fucked over because the world is a harsh place, I've already grown rather sick of the trend. Yes, I know the First War always ended like this.

Also, I imagine the primary audience will be Warcraft fans anyway. I honestly don't see this blowing away the box office. For that reason, I expect the Horde Normies who never looked too into the lore will be cheering and loving it.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Will they though?

We're running the gauntlet of the Game of Thrones period of media, where 'OMG THE GOOD GUYS LOST/DIED HORRIBLY, WHAT A TWIST!11!' is the big thing. As somebody who was always a fan of grittier realism and good people getting fucked over because the world is a harsh place, I've already grown rather sick of the trend. Yes, I know the First War always ended like this.

Also, I imagine the primary audience will be Warcraft fans anyway. I honestly don't see this blowing away the box office. For that reason, I expect the Horde Normies who never looked too into the lore will be cheering and loving it.
Can we say that about big budget movies, though? I would say these are still incredibly cliched and predictable when it comes to the general plot.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
SW will be destroyed ofc. There is no another way if they are aimed on sequels.
Judging by how antagonist factions behave in World of Warcraft I wouldn't be surprised if they had the Horde press on to the rest of the Eastern Kingdoms whilst Stormwind remains a threat.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 AM

Druid of the Talon

I'm pretty content with the changes they seem to be making thus far that make me cringe on a surface level because 1. visual medium (floating Dalaran is visual characterization of the city and the general nature of magic in Azeroth) 2. limited amount of time to make a self-contained story that is still open ended enough for a sequel (Orgrim being a Frostwolf... though maybe they'll throw in a line from Blackhand about him being a traitor to his home clan and kind of go both ways with it)

So it's the little weird things that bug me. The things that set up future inconsistencies or whatever. In particular... where the fuck is Orgrim's plate? I can't find a lore resource as to when it was made, though he was clearly wearing it in the WC1 art and on alternate Draenor, so I guess maybe (hopefully) in Moviecraft he has it made on Azeroth once the war ends and he settles in as Warchief? Cause Orgrim dying to some nobody mounted knight without wearing so much as a t-shirt, and future movie Thrall running around with one stupid pauldron and the WWE championship belt on instead of the pierced plate of his mentor and antecedent as Warchief sounds pretty fuckin dumb.

I know, I know >implying they thought that far ahead
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marston View Post
I'm pretty content with the changes they seem to be making thus far that make me cringe on a surface level because 1. visual medium (floating Dalaran is visual characterization of the city and the general nature of magic in Azeroth) 2. limited amount of time to make a self-contained story that is still open ended enough for a sequel (Orgrim being a Frostwolf... though maybe they'll throw in a line from Blackhand about him being a traitor to his home clan and kind of go both ways with it)

So it's the little weird things that bug me. The things that set up future inconsistencies or whatever. In particular... where the fuck is Orgrim's plate? I can't find a lore resource as to when it was made, though he was clearly wearing it in the WC1 art and on alternate Draenor, so I guess maybe (hopefully) in Moviecraft he has it made on Azeroth once the war ends and he settles in as Warchief? Cause Orgrim dying to some nobody mounted knight without wearing so much as a t-shirt, and future movie Thrall running around with one stupid pauldron and the WWE championship belt on instead of the pierced plate of his mentor and antecedent as Warchief sounds pretty fuckin dumb.

Actually, it seems Blackhand is wearing the black plate of the Warchief (aka Orgrim's plate), albeit with some personal things added. And that art you are referring to is in truth a Warcraft II concept, not a Warcraft I concept, one where he is already the Warchief. So, it is not really a change, particularly when one takes into consideration the fact that his Warlords of Draenor model is basically a placeholder that never got replaced by a custom model, for they could simply not bother to give him one after Orgrim essentially got cut out of the whole expansion. The former Warlords of Draenor concept had him wear armor almost identical to the one you can see in the movie.

So, they actually thought that far ahead, only those working on Warlords of Draenor later backpedalled and Orgrim got stuck with a placeholder model.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Judging by how antagonist factions behave in World of Warcraft I wouldn't be surprised if they had the Horde press on to the rest of the Eastern Kingdoms whilst Stormwind remains a threat.
Even Better: The Horde conquers Stormwind and keeps it well into the WC3 era. The 2nd War with Beyond the Dark Portal happens but Stormwind stays in Orc hands.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:40 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Will they though?

I will be very angry If you get any sort of validation for the comment about the entertainment industry milking the gritty realism to a pitiful death because i have been saying things along that line for the past two years. Oh and you're not supposed to criticize the fans of the movie, especially if they are Horde.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I dont think they will change that, but nowdays trailers spoil everything (and they havent done that yet) so who knows.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
I dont think they will change that, but nowdays trailers spoil everything (and they havent done that yet) so who knows.
I think the differences between the WarCraft trailer and the Batman vs. Superman trailer are telling. Unless you already know the story of WarCraft 1, most people are likely going to be surprised. Unlike with Batman vs. Superman, where they reveal in the fucking trailer that Lex Luthor is villain and just sets the two of them against each other like gladiators, just to be a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:06 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Will they though?

I'm yet to see a fantasy MOVIE whre the good guys lose in the end. We're not dealing with a TV show.

Don't worry, Khadgar being aged by Medivh happens, hell, the interview title with the actor forshadowed it!

They just jumbeled about the events on what happens when.

From all the spoilers/leaks/trailer it will be like this:

King Llaine gets assassinated by Garona during the initial charge on the Dark Portal (instead of during the Siege on Stormwind), where the Horde has the foothold on Azeroth, that's why we see Lothar jumping off the tower without boots on his gryphon because he got a hunch something will happen and was inconvinianced in some way, which is why we see him again without boots, when he charges at the Horde army at the Dark Portal.

Orgrim allows Lothar and his army to retreat, while they prepare for the siege, they hold a funeral for Llaine and after that, Lothar and Khadgar go to Karazhan to confront Medivh, shit happens, but by the time they return back to Stormwind, the city was already breached and the survivors have no choice but to flee the city.

Last edited by Turmoil; 01-27-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Old 01-27-2016, 08:20 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

It would be great after the movie if they add a Caverns of time instance during the Fall of Stormwind. Let's say the Infinite Dragonflight returns and decides to fuck around with the fall and kill off civilians and important characters before their time and we have to make sure that doesn't happen. That would be a good time to add characters that aren't in the movie like Mara and Bolvar Fordragon etc.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
It would be great after the movie if they add a Caverns of time instance during the Fall of Stormwind. Let's say the Infinite Dragonflight returns and decides to fuck around with the fall and kill off civilians and important characters before their time and we have to make sure that doesn't happen. That would be a good time to add characters that aren't in the movie like Mara and Bolvar Fordragon etc.
That'd be really clever.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-28-2016, 03:20 AM

Druid of the Claw

Something I noticed reacently.

This is the promo shot of Garona from SDCC15.

Now zoom in on the left side:

Burning Stormwind? Because that looks like Cathedral on fire. I mean it pretty much stands out.

Last edited by Turmoil; 01-28-2016 at 06:36 AM..
Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 AM

Druid of the Claw

That is the full Garona image.
I dont think the background is Stormwind to be honest.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marston View Post

I think that maybe Orgrim will get the armor fro Blackhand.
The armor would orginally be Blackhand's-> killed by Orgrim-> Orgrim takes it->passes it to Thrall.

His spiked shoulders also resemble the armor thrall wears in game
Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
That is the full Garona image.
I dont think the background is Stormwind to be honest.
It can't be on Draenor and it's deffinetly not Blackrock mountain.

SW Cathedral is the only structure that stands out as a pointy thing for big importance and it's on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I think that maybe Orgrim will get the armor fro Blackhand.
The armor would orginally be Blackhand's-> killed by Orgrim-> Orgrim takes it->passes it to Thrall.

His spiked shoulders also resemble the armor thrall wears in game
Yeah, Blackhand wears what resembles Orgrim's plate shoulders, except it has 2 rayak skulls tied to them.

Last edited by Turmoil; 01-28-2016 at 08:36 AM..
Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Warcraft Movie toys have been spotted at a Toys R' Us:

Old 01-28-2016, 01:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Why are the characters and names opposite of each other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
entertainment, warcraft