Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Banished

Old 08-16-2016, 03:29 AM

Arch-Druid

7/10
No jew with a crooked nose, no black people bringing sickness, no Indian with 8 babies.
Can do better if you apply to it.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
7/10
No jew with a crooked nose, no black people bringing sickness, no Indian with 8 babies.
Can do better if you apply to it.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I get that part, but I understand why people who don't really concern themselves with variations in Christianity wouldn't. For someone more familiar with, say, catholic, anglican or especially lutheran dogma and unfamiliar with the details of protestant evangelist renewal movements, "God talks to me" sounds like you've got a case of the crazies

Heck, I only know stuff like this because I'm designing a class around it.
Dutch, what kind of class are you designing? I knew Genesis was on the professor path... are you a teacher as well?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Dutchman, what kind of class are you designing? I knew Genesis was on the professor path... are you a teacher as well?
I meant a class for a homebrew DnD setting.

I really should have clarified that
Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I meant a class for a homebrew DnD setting.

I really should have clarified that
See, I think religion is a sad remnant of our cultural progress.... But in fantasy settings, they are the best
Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM

Elune

@Baron, I could have sworn you asked about a fantasy setting with no supernatural and just different biology..

Isn't that, like, Sci-fi? Aliens, ESP, acid blood or creatures that have flammable saliva or someshit..

I mean, Dragonriders of Pern (and the Harper Halls of Pern!) were pretty hard Sci-fi in fantasy clothing
Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
@Baron, I could have sworn you asked about a fantasy setting with no supernatural and just different biology..

Isn't that, like, Sci-fi? Aliens, ESP, acid blood or creatures that have flammable saliva or someshit..

I mean, Dragonriders of Pern (and the Harper Halls of Pern!) were pretty hard Sci-fi in fantasy clothing
Yes, magic and supernatural elements are what primarily differentiate science fiction from fantasy. Hence why you can have a completely futuristic fantasy work next to a completely medieval science fiction work.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:33 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:

Dagnabbit, I decided my remark was irrelevant. But too late!

Like a Warcraft medieval. Dragons, elves, no magic.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Dagnabbit, I decided my remark was irrelevant. But too late!

Like a Warcraft medieval. Dragons, elves, no magic.
Ever read the world of tiers?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:40 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Ever read the world of tiers?
Checking out the wiki article, thanks.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Yes, magic and supernatural elements are what primarily differentiate science fiction from fantasy. Hence why you can have a completely futuristic fantasy work next to a completely medieval science fiction work.
Generally speaking sci-fi and fantasy are the same. It just depends on how the people dress, speak, and get around. Mass Effect and Star Wars could both have been fantasy with the same outcome.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Generally speaking sci-fi and fantasy are the same. It just depends on how the people dress, speak, and get around. Mass Effect and Star Wars could both have been fantasy with the same outcome.
Star Wars arguably is fantasy. But, with just a few creative interpretations (and maybe without Vader choking Motti), you can treat A New Hope standalone as a sci-fi setting with a religious cult that may or may not be true.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:11 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
So a huge chunk of you never experience supernatural feelies? Little micro-events and essences that you can't really explain to other people because it sounds ridiculous even to yourself when you say it outloud, but still you can't shake the feel that something happened that doesn't exactly fall in the category of natural and expected?
I understand that there are phenomena that are not sufficiently explained by science as it stands now, but that does not mean they're supernatural. I also understand the fallible nature of human sensory perception.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:47 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I understand that there are phenomena that are not sufficiently explained by science as it stands now, but that does not mean they're supernatural. I also understand the fallible nature of human sensory perception.
Do you suppose our human inclination to believe the supernatural is some sort of... evolutionary survival mechanism?

EDIT: I'm not setting up an argument, just picking at your brains.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Star Wars arguably is fantasy. But, with just a few creative interpretations (and maybe without Vader choking Motti), you can treat A New Hope standalone as a sci-fi setting with a religious cult that may or may not be true.
While in some sci-fi the way things work is explained, generally, the 'science' part of sci-fi is just magic by a different name.

Halo? How do the Halos work? More or less magic nukes.
Star Trek? How do the phasers work? More or less magic guns.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Do you suppose our human inclination to believe the supernatural is some sort of... evolutionary survival mechanism?

Probably how people deal with the unknown for things they know little about as well as offer some sort of "purpose" for the purposeless.
---------------------------------------------------
Now I tend to see it that it doesn't matter if it's religious ideology or secular ideology people who can't deal with nihilism will flock to this shit.

This creates a fundamental problem in that if a society doesn't offer some form of ideology than they will search for whatever ones are available.

The ideology could be Fascism, Communism, some form of ultra-progressivism, or radical Christianity/Islam among others.

You could argue that a religious ideology which desires charity, poverty, self sacrifice, and humility in some of it's extreme forms would be almost beneficial for society as those ideologues sacrifice themselves for the good of society.

On the otherhand an extreme political ideology is downright dangerous as it will attempt to take over the state.

A religious ideology becomes dangerous when it turns political whereas a political ideology is dangerous on its own.

That's just my view though, there has to be something for those who can't deal with nihilism.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:46 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

Survival is a broad question. I believe our tendency to make up and believe in the supernatural is a direct result of our desire to know 'why things happen'. We want to know the cause and effect, but we haven't had the scientific method for the majority of our existence and whether or not we know about ions in the atmosphere exchanging electricity and discharging bolts of plasma to the ground, or we believe there's a man in the sky with a hammer who makes big "banging" noises, they both provide a psychologically satisfying explanation for, say, thunder.

Now, does knowing and understanding cause and effect constitute a survival mechanism? I'd say it impacts survival, it's a heavy part of our initial success as hunters and the creation of the agricultural revolution, but it's so much more than a "mechanism" that I feel it doesn't do it justice. Does every biological trait that contributes to survival count as a survival mechanism? Is our language a survival mechanism? Is architecture (not just shelter, but the creation of edifices) a survival mechanism?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Elune

Quote:

See, I readily admit my belief towards religion is massively hypocritical because (in a story I've repeated many times) I HAVE had what most would consider supernatural experiences ala dreaming of things that happened a few days later, or dreamt things that happened to other people.

But I don't think it's necessarily supernatural. Just unexplained
Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Survival is a broad question. I believe our tendency to make up and believe in the supernatural is a direct result of our desire to know 'why things happen'. We want to know the cause and effect, but we haven't had the scientific method for the majority of our existence and whether or not we know about ions in the atmosphere exchanging electricity and discharging bolts of plasma to the ground, or we believe there's a man in the sky with a hammer who makes big "banging" noises, they both provide a psychologically satisfying explanation for, say, thunder.

Now, does knowing and understanding cause and effect constitute a survival mechanism? I'd say it impacts survival, it's a heavy part of our initial success as hunters and the creation of the agricultural revolution, but it's so much more than a "mechanism" that I feel it doesn't do it justice. Does every biological trait that contributes to survival count as a survival mechanism? Is our language a survival mechanism? Is architecture (not just shelter, but the creation of edifices) a survival mechanism?
A good case can be made that people who are too smart often show immense promise in their youth but then grow depressed quickly and wilt away. That is, being too smart and seeing the world for what it is, be that it's many human made cruelties, the horrible mediocrity of our societies or the uncaring nature of the universe breaks them.

It is entirely possible that after a certain threshold of intelligence organisms simply can't cope with the realities of the universe (and we constantly know more about those realities too). It's even a decent Fermi Paradox solution, societies grow, learn some awful/depressing shit and simply die out on their own accord from the pointlessness of it all.

Anyway that is where religion and other human delusions fit in, they help us cope. There is some evidence that even smarter versions of hominids than us existed but they died out. This is perhaps the reason why. Humans are the version that is smart enough to push ahead with technology but dumb enough to keep existential woes from overwhelming us.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 PM

Elune

Will non-Christians in the west ever stop using Anno Domini as a reference point for the current year? To them why should the current year be 2016? Muslim and some Asian countries don't use it. They wouldn't have to deal with 90s kids or millennials anymore because the reference point they use could be something completely different. For those that think separation of church and state means no laws that could conceivable be religiously inspired are allowed then shouldn't the Canadian prime minister have never said "Its 2016," to justify some of the stuff he is doing?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Will non-Christians in the west ever stop using Anno Domini as a reference point for the current year? To them why should the current year be 2016? Muslim and some Asian countries don't use it. They wouldn't have to deal with 90s kids or millennials anymore because the reference point they use could be something completely different. For those that think separation of church and state means no laws that could conceivable be religiously inspired are allowed then shouldn't the Canadian prime minister have never said "Its 2016," to justify some of the stuff he is doing?
Secularists in the West sometimes try to use CE (Common Era), which is basically the same as AD except it doesn't acknowledge the original context.

Personally, I think CE is the rankest bullshit, and I will only use it in order to mock it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-23-2016, 02:18 PM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Hey ! That's not my fault you people won't admit that we are the 3 NivĂ´se 225.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Well there certainly are some call for that in certain secularist/humanist circles:

Tags
realspace, serious business