Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I think Blizzard destroyed the meaning and poignancy when they repeatedly retconned how he died.
You may be right.

Honestly, I don't want Illidan to rez either. I hope the last vial is accounted for in some badass way that doesn't involve bringing Illidan back from the dead. However, I think Blizzard has a great opportunity here to rewrite his character in a more satisfying and epic manner than they did the first time around, simply by having him sneak back to the future from the Well of Eternity.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Illidan was an absolutely terrible person and only a moderately engaging character. On those grounds, he doesn't DESERVE to be brought back. Furthermore, from a narrative perspective, bringing him back wouldn't do much good.

Lothar would certainly be more useful to the Alliance if resurrected than Illidan. I guarantee you that if Lothar was leading the Alliance instead of king Chynn the Alliance would be in a far better place.

I think Blizzard destroyed the meaning and poignancy when they repeatedly retconned how he died.
I do wish they would bring Lothar back but at the same time i do not... currently i have no idea why but Blizzard seem to fail at sticking to there guns i mean look at Genn Greymane they basically ignored his past entirely and made him a totally different person.

Illidan is in a different boat because they actually portrayed him well in the Well of Eternity 5 man... they know that they didn't use him well in TBC and he is very popular with the Warcraft fans.

I would bring them back for alternate reasons if i could do so myself with Lothar actually leading the Alliance to success and Illidan only being involved with Demon business and actually being the Anti-Hero he was meant to be portrayed as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
You may be right.

Honestly, I don't want Illidan to rez either. I hope the last vial is accounted for in some badass way that doesn't involve bringing Illidan back from the dead. However, I think Blizzard has a great opportunity here to rewrite his character in a more satisfying and epic manner than they did the first time around, simply by having him sneak back to the future from the Well of Eternity.
I would actually love that if it was possible for Nozdormu not to notice.... because he does go back in time to sort out the mess that was caused and honestly it would be quite badass.

Run

Last edited by Ku'ja; 12-10-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I don't think people want Illidan to come back because they felt he, as a character, deserved better in the context of the story, but because they feel he deserves better in a more removed context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Lothar had a fitting end to his story, Illidan didn't. We didn't see him or even really learn what he was doing other than "ARRGH YOU ARE NOT PREPARTED!", I think that's why Blizzard wants to bring Illidan back. So he can have a more fitting conclusion.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Lothar had a fitting end to his story, Illidan didn't. We didn't see him or even really learn what he was doing other than "ARRGH YOU ARE NOT PREPARTED!", I think that's why Blizzard wants to bring Illidan back. So he can have a more fitting conclusion.
Illidan had a fitting end to his story back in Northrend when Arthas gored him with Frostmourne.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

That didn't feel like an end to me, though it works better than what we got in TBC.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
The Red Shirt has spoken! Hail the Red Shirt!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
>Illidan
>Anduin Lothar
>Died protecting the entirety of the human race from an alien invasion and forged the Alliance, acting as one of if not its greatest leaders
>Was stabbed in the back by a greenskinned monster
>Nope, he should stay dead
As Im sure you know by now, I told you to read the book...it was a fair duel..Lothar lost..there was no dishonorable conduct. Its canon, he lost, fair and square, get over it.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorns View Post
As Im sure you know by now, I told you to read the book...it was a fair duel..Lothar lost..there was no dishonorable conduct. Its canon, he lost, fair and square, get over it.
Do I know he died in an honorable duel in canon? Yes.

Do I like it? No. WCII is why I love Lothar. Including the way he died, fighting off waves of orcs before being killed by the Warchief KNOWN as "the backstabber" for chrissakes.

I'm sick of the lionization of Doomhammer.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

I hope they don't bring him back just to kill him again. I want to see this guy mature and get passed his baggage, wouldn't that be interesting?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

What if the Burning Legion or someone else resurrected a number of powerful heroes/villains to use them as weapons.

Could be cool if handled well, but knowing Blizzard, it would be lame as hell.

If Illidan returns, he should die in the same expansion.

Quote:
>Illidan
>Asshole who spent his entire life hitting on his brother's girlfriend, doing drugs and rotting in prison
>Essentially Azeroth's loser friend from highschool who ran around shirtless and crying over the one who got away
>Deserves to come back to life

>Anduin Lothar
>Died protecting the entirety of the human race from an alien invasion and forged the Alliance, acting as one of if not its greatest leaders
>Was stabbed in the back by a greenskinned monster
>Nope, he should stay dead
Lothar, epic death, yes.

Illidan, epic death, no.

Successful summarization.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 12-11-2011 at 12:46 PM..
Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:

Do I like it? No. WCII is why I love Lothar. Including the way he died, fighting off waves of orcs before being killed by the Warchief KNOWN as "the backstabber" for chrissakes.

In the immortal words of Soldrethar, "Deal thyself with it."
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:

First time ever I see myself agreeing with Omacron.
I grew up with warcraft 2 and the death of Lothar. I remember that I always tried to enter the cheat for immortal units so that lothar wouldn't die.
I almost burned the book when I came to the part with the "duel".
Greatest disgrace in warcraft.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I almost burned the book when I came to the part with the "duel".
I think you might be taking things a tad bit too seriously.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Well, we all get a bit fired up when it comes to stuff that we grew up with :p
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Welcome to Scrolls of Lore.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
In the immortal words of Soldrethar, "Deal thyself with it."
That sounds double fun if you speak it quickly, at least if you're Serbian, love it :-D

I am usually very strict on bringing characters back from the dead, and I tend to be adamantly against it, except if they pull it off as a cool plot hook, for example in the case of Kel'Thuzzard, but even then not too much or it starts to cheapen death in the universe.

There is only one character who I think was wrong so much to be given a second chance even though it doesn't make much sense is.... wait for it... old Kael'thas, heads and setbacks be damned!

As far as the missing vial goes... we have a lot of suspects as most people in that temple would desire a source of power of such magnitude.

One name that instantly popped in my head was Terron Gorefiend, it would go a long way towards explaining his dieing words in which he implied that he will return.
I would like that as I can easily envision him returning with considerable power due to it, and then becoming a recurring antagonist in questing. He definitely seems like a schemer, but one who is capable of hopping into battle at times, and schemer's are always interesting. He should be portrayed as dangerous and often end up winning. In general villains need to win way more often in WoW.

Second and third place go to, Maiev and Akama respectively. I place Maiev first due to her antagonistic appearance in Wolfheart making her way more likely to be plotting something with the vial, it does explain her brazen actions quite well. Akama comes second because I just don't trust him, sure he has his sob story but I think he may have used that to fool us and kindly show us the exit to the temple so he can begin to plot... something.

That is the problem with figuring out the fate of the vial when you think about it, there are too many possibilities because everybody has a reason for wanting it, and as it is pure overwhelming power we can't quite figure out the use for it either as it can be anything.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
That sounds double fun if you speak it quickly, at least if you're Serbian, love it :-D
ohai neighbour. well, now we've got a slovenian, a serbian and a bosnian on SoL. you guys are about to be taken over by balkans, we just need to get ahold of a croat. :p