Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Default Warcraft Short Stories

I was wondering the other day with the Kael story that wasn't released. Do you think it would be epic if Blizzard began to do the same things they are doing with the faction leaders but with other leaders and enemies or the Alliance and Horde. This could be anything from Deathwing to Benedictus to building up current villains in ways that the game couldn't.

Do you think it would be a good idea and who would you want to see get there own Short story?

Run
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Well, it wasn't a short story. It was a novella- way too long to be a short story but too short to be a novel in its own right. Personally? I think novellas are the perfect length, between 75 and 200 pages that can be read in a single sitting. But they're hard to publish, especially fantasy novels, which are expected to be doorstopping hardcovers.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Well, it wasn't a short story. It was a novella- way too long to be a short story but too short to be a novel in its own right. Personally? I think novellas are the perfect length, between 75 and 200 pages that can be read in a single sitting. But they're hard to publish, especially fantasy novels, which are expected to be doorstopping hardcovers.
Well theres anyways the anthology option. They should get Illidan and Lady Vashj similar novellas and release a TBC complation.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Elune

I would like a comic series detailing Rexxar's adventures through the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor after he left the Horde. I always thought it'd be a good idea.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

They should release them and stop being dicks.

Having an in-game thing, like collecting diary pieces, would be fine for a Kael novella.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
They should release them and stop being dicks.

Having an in-game thing, like collecting diary pieces, would be fine for a Kael novella.
Via Archaeology or maybe part of Quel'danas mob drops or something? I'd be on board for that, but I'd kind of hope it could be seen for other zones and races.

Imagine if, in Durotar, you got a mini quest or something to gather pages of Doomhammer's journal, or the same for Lothar in Stormwind.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I'd rather them not add things like that to archaeology. Unless they actually work to make the profession more fun.

If they're in game, having them as part of a library would probably work well.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm sure Blizz would like to publish the Kael story, but publishing is really hard on novellas.

In a perfect world, Blizz could self-publish the Kael novella as an ebook. But who knows, maybe their contract with S&S has some noncompete clause. I'm sure it's not that simple.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Eternal

I miss those in-game books that were full of lore info.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
They are still there. Some are. And exposition still happens,

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
They are still all over the place. There is even an achievement, [Well-Read], if you read (or at least flip-through) them all.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM

World Builder

Runes

Am I the only one who remembers the pole they did on the old story forums, where they decided to put more books in the capital cities?

Whatever happened to that?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Default O Rly Jeff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kaplan
...Basically, and I’m speaking to the Blizzard guys in the back: we need to stop writing a fucking book in our game, because nobody wants to read it.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the pole they did on the old story forums, where they decided to put more books in the capital cities?

Whatever happened to that?
I was just thinking about that. Who knows?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Huh? When did he say that? 0o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I kind of what to smack him upside the head and ask him what the hell he was thinking when he said that.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I kind of what to smack him upside the head and ask him what the hell he was thinking when he said that.
I can't remember exactly where he said it, but I believe it was in regard to imposing a 800~ character limit on quest text dialogue. And frankly, not only do I agree with him, but so do most of the people who take game writing "seriously".

Players do not want shitloads of text dumped on them in the game. If they wanted that, they'd read a book- and hey, lookit that, Warcraft HAS books. They've moved a lot of the text out of quest dialogue and either have characters say and act it out in scripted sequences, something most players love, or "show" it rather than "tell" it. Infodumps of line sand lines of text is a relic of the 90s, back when spoken sound files were too huge to fit into games, and when storytelling technology was relatively rudimentary. Now, with expressive polygonal models and the ability to have voiced protagonists, sticking a fucking novel into a game makes as much sense as typing a book on a typewriter.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
I can't remember exactly where he said it, but I believe it was in regard to imposing a 800~ character limit on quest text dialogue. And frankly, not only do I agree with him, but so do most of the people who take game writing "seriously".

Players do not want shitloads of text dumped on them in the game. If they wanted that, they'd read a book- and hey, lookit that, Warcraft HAS books. They've moved a lot of the text out of quest dialogue and either have characters say and act it out in scripted sequences, something most players love, or "show" it rather than "tell" it. Infodumps of line sand lines of text is a relic of the 90s, back when spoken sound files were too huge to fit into games, and when storytelling technology was relatively rudimentary. Now, with expressive polygonal models and the ability to have voiced protagonists, sticking a fucking novel into a game makes as much sense as typing a book on a typewriter.
This. Taking the quote out of context makes it look really bad, like he's attacking the story of Warcraft itself. When he said that, it was in reference to piling all the story into quest text boxes.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
They are still all over the place. There is even an achievement, [Well-Read], if you read (or at least flip-through) them all.
Probably one of my favorite achievements.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
This. Taking the quote out of context makes it look really bad, like he's attacking the story of Warcraft itself. When he said that, it was in reference to piling all the story into quest text boxes.
This is considerably better.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I know that they are still there, what I meant to say was that I miss them adding more of those.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

Quote:

Well if that's the case I agree with it.

I still think they could do a much better job portraying key plot events in game, but I agree with the principle. There's text, and then there's info-dumping. The latter isn't much fun if it's forced upon you. Mind you, I like infodumps, but only if they're optional, like the Codex's in Warhammer Online, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

WoW needs even MORE voice acting. As far as I can tell, the voice files really don't add that much space. I believe all the dialogues make like 500 Mb of the whole WoW installation. They should add more, and that's as simple as paying more to the voice actors they have.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Site Staff - Admin

I can't remember the exact figure, but doesn't The Old Republic have like 16GB~ worth of VA in their game? Everything is voiced, right? As technology gets better and the file sizes decrease, I can see what TOR is doing as the next logical step for the industry.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
WoW needs even MORE voice acting. As far as I can tell, the voice files really don't add that much space. I believe all the dialogues make like 500 Mb of the whole WoW installation. They should add more, and that's as simple as paying more to the voice actors they have.
I'm not sure if this ended but Blizz has a problem where they used non-union voice actors in the past so that may have complicated things right now.