Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Implications of Broken Isles as a continent

The new cycle of expansions seems to be redefining scale of things.

You know this is going to be bad. Very bad.
  • Kezan = Mechagoblin stuff expansion (Tinker class?)
  • Zandalar = Zandalari troll expansion
  • Azjol-Nerub = Yogg-Saron is back expansion
  • Eye of the Maelstrom = Azshara at fucking last
  • Elemental Planes = Actual zones for each plane (Rebirth of the black dragonflight storyline?)

And many more. Brace yourselves.

Edit: Tel Abim and Kul Tiras are probably safe, as starting zones for new races.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 08-06-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 11:12 AM

Eternal

A heavily industrialized and mechanized Kezan would actually be pretty cool.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Elune

Honestly, I don't mind the implication of scale. That's actually a great idea, since the world is supposed to be pretty dang big. An entire expansion of Zandalar would be embraced by me.

What annoys me is that these are not the Broken Isles. The Broken Isles were a set of islands raised by Gul'dan from the sea floor around the second war. These zones do not look the part. They're not even close. Nor do they fit the history. Had the Broken Isles actually been an entire continent, I'd be fine with it, but don't act like these are the Broken Isles when they're incompatible with the concept.

Rejiggle them around the ocean a bit, and I'd be entirely cool with it. Throw the non-night elf ones together as Tel Abim, Crestfall or Zul'dare, I'd be cool with it.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Honestly, I don't mind the implication of scale. That's actually a great idea, since the world is supposed to be pretty dang big. An entire expansion of Zandalar would be embraced by me.

What annoys me is that these are not the Broken Isles. The Broken Isles were a set of islands raised by Gul'dan from the sea floor around the second war. These zones do not look the part. They're not even close. Nor do they fit the history. Had the Broken Isles actually been an entire continent, I'd be fine with it, but don't act like these are the Broken Isles when they're incompatible with the concept.

Rejiggle them around the ocean a bit, and I'd be entirely cool with it. Throw the non-night elf ones together as Tel Abim, Crestfall or Zul'dare, I'd be cool with it.
The retcon seems to be that Gul'dan only raised a handful of islands with the Tomb of Sargeras. The bigger Broken Isles have been unseen and hidden all this time a stone's throw from the Tomb.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post

There's not even that giant orc ship graveyard anywhere to be seen, and no mention of undead orcs either.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
There's not even that giant orc ship graveyard anywhere to be seen, and no mention of undead orcs either.
They did well at showing a lot with keeping a ton of stuff to be shown at Blizzcon.

Run
Old 08-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Arch-Druid

So, there was an entire continent between Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, with tauren, elves and vrykul settlers, and no one knew about it?

I give up. Seriously, I'm too tired of Warcraft to care about its lore anymore. Can't even decide if I'll get this expansion.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
I don't see anywhere for the Tomb of Sargeras to be on that map. I'm starting to think it's on a separate island for a patch zone.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
So, there was an entire continent between Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, with tauren, elves and vrykul settlers, and no one knew about it?

I give up. Seriously, I'm too tired of Warcraft to care about its lore anymore. Can't even decide if I'll get this expansion.
I don't even know how they'll make it fit in the current map.

It's clear as crystal they're making things larger in order to release more expansions.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Wisp

This is padding at its finest, and I wish they'd have done it where it made more sense, i.e. the Elemental Planes. They were very inconsistent about them.

Firelands: Raid and zone and parts accessed through Hyjal
Deepholm: Zone and dungeon
Skywall: Raid and dungeon
Abyssal Maw: Dungeon

Each should have been a zone with their own instances. I would have loved a whole zone of Skywall involving Al'Akir to quest through. That architecture was some of WoW's finest.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
This is padding at its finest, and I wish they'd have done it where it made more sense, i.e. the Elemental Planes. They were very inconsistent about them.

Each should have been a zone with their own instances. I would have loved a whole zone of Skywall involving Al'Akir to quest through. That architecture was some of WoW's finest.
Skywall as a heavy-flying zone would have been awesome.

I wouldn't discard something like this eventually, so added it goes. I mean, we're playing TBC 2.0 or 3.0 with WoW: Legion. And they would save a lot of work by recycling assets, one of their core principles now (Can't blame them, they make so much art for, in comparison, such small zones).

Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post

Yeah, I've said it before: they should've not touched anything about the Elemental Plane in Cata. They should've focused on the world, plain and simples, and leave the Elemental Plane for an expansion of its own.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Druid of the Talon

I'd say that Zandalar will be a raid in 7.1 or something like that.

Because there must always be, a troll dungeon.

Except for WOD but fuck WOD.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The retcon seems to be that Gul'dan only raised a handful of islands with the Tomb of Sargeras. The bigger Broken Isles have been unseen and hidden all this time a stone's throw from the Tomb.
Stupid, but better than Underwater Moose Tauren. I'm okay with that, apart from the fact that questions like "Why didn't they help out during the Cataclysm?" arise.

Nevertheless, they have to explain something about Suramar. It WAS risen by Gul'dan. Unless Maiev is "mistaken".
Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Stupid, but better than Underwater Moose Tauren. I'm okay with that, apart from the fact that questions like "Why didn't they help out during the Cataclysm?" arise.
They did.

They also helped with the demon invasion of TBC, the scourge and the war of the ancients. The Highmountain Tribe were basically used as Knaak's go-to tauren tribe.

The whole elk thing is new though.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 08-06-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
And we didn't have Moose Tauren in Northrend?

Quote:
Nevertheless, they have to explain something about Suramar. It WAS risen by Gul'dan. Unless Maiev is "mistaken".
"Suramar appeared in-game before?"
Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
And we didn't have Moose Tauren in Northrend?
Buffalo tauren.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Buffalo tauren.
Moose would have been more appropriate.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:31 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:

On the map, it looks like Suramar is broken in half. Perhaps that other half is what Gul'dan raised?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Moose would have been more appropriate.
Musk Ox, actually.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Eternal

Moose Tauren are stupid. Yaungol are best Tauren.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
The new cycle of expansions seems to be redefining scale of things.

You know this is going to be bad. Very bad.
  • Kezan = Mechagoblin stuff expansion (Tinker class?)
  • Zandalar = Zandalari troll expansion
  • Azjol-Nerub = Yogg-Saron is back expansion
  • Eye of the Maelstrom = Azshara at fucking last
  • Elemental Planes = Actual zones for each plane (Rebirth of the black dragonflight storyline?)

And many more. Brace yourselves.

Edit: Tel Abim and Kul Tiras are probably safe, as starting zones for new races.
I'd honestly be alright with that to a point.

But yea I see the Broken Isles to be like Pandaria. Both islands were probably part of a South Seas expansion that was after Cata and had a bit of work done on them and were made into their own expansions now.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I'd honestly be alright with that to a point.

But yea I see the Broken Isles to be like Pandaria. Both islands were probably part of a South Seas expansion that was after Cata and had a bit of work done on them and were made into their own expansions now.
Pandaria I could see it, since we didn't know nothing about it. Could have been west of Kalimdor for all that matters.

South Seas in the other hand, we've being getting maps depicting it since long time ago, first since W2. This is the beginning of a huge list of retcons. Even going by the rescaling theory, there's no way the Broken Isles were that big in lore.

Not like I care too much, but I wish they had given notions of this earlier. I'm also kinda angry on how they had to bring someone from an alternate universe for this expansion, with all the wtf consistency problems, but that's kinda another topic.

Just feels like they ran out of space for expansions, and made new space by the cheapest way, instead of making up new stuff. The original Lost Isles should be a single zone inside a South Seas continent, not this. I'm sad original lore was sacrificed once again just for cool factor.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I don't think that anyone saw this coming. Yes, a well-made fan expansion idea had all of Azjol-Nerub as an expansion, and no one knew that Pandaria was continent-sized but...

The Broken Isles. A tiny island that we more or less knew the size of. An entire expansion.

As an awesome lore zone, I am hopeful. Not a crappy idea. Still... Really?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I don't think that anyone saw this coming. Yes, a well-made fan expansion idea had all of Azjol-Nerub as an expansion, and no one knew that Pandaria was continent-sized but...

The Broken Isles. A tiny island that we more or less knew the size of. An entire expansion.

As an awesome lore zone, I am hopeful. Not a crappy idea. Still... Really?
Its not so much a tiny island we more or less knew the size of, though. It's been retconned to be an entire continent. Still a retcon, but at least not tiny.

Tags
foot expansion, leg expansion, lore is sinking, wow legion