Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1351  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Well, not really.

Most nonsensical parts of the design aren't issues with people because they're relatively benign.

Metal bikinis, aside from being impractical, have a distinct air of "I have to put up with this bullshit irl, why do I have to deal with it in my escapism too?" to a lot of people.
Metal bikini's aren't even a part of most of the sets. They are in just a couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Which is why options exist.

You can have a halfnaked barbarian or you can have one in largely covered leather or other armor.

Or at least, you should be able to.
The D3 barbarian is specifically blizzard's vision of the fantasy of their barbarian.

There is a point where options start to deviate out of what the barbarian is though. If you are fully encased in plate armor sporting a great helm and a tabard with a cross are you still a Barbarian? The sets that the Barbarian has are out to give you the fantasy of a Barbarian, they do this for both males and females. If they were only half naked sets for both genders I don't think there'd be a problem.

However, there are more armored sets.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
No, the problem is this shape would kill you if you choose to wear it in battle.

Also you can see in WOW, many chest/pants gear are more exposed on female characters than male.
And that brings me to my point of realism not being important for the design. It's impractical for both male barbs and female bard. It's a part of the fucking aesthetic design.
__________________

Last edited by Erthad; 07-10-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1352  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

Liv Tyler
Kate Beckinsale
Sophie Marceau
Diane Kruger
Rachel Nichols
Melanie Laurent
Saoirse Ronan

So attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
But that's an entirely different issue from "ugh platekini" that you're changing to because I proved you wrong on a particular subject.

I don't really care that certain types of gear look different on females than male because it's your prerogative if you want to look like that or not. There's plenty of diversity when it comes to armor models, so it's not like anyone is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to transmog into black mageweave or Warrior's Embrace. (Not like I'd transmog them on a male character because those sets are boring as fuck to look at anyways and their only appeal seems to be that they look better on women.)
I already stated this opinion pages ago. I don't like it because it's deadly to the wearer, the only reason to have it is because it looks sexy.

But shouldn't Blizzard be fair on the design for both gender? Why male's armor are much more realistic rather than make you look like a male stripper?

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 07-10-2014 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #1353  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,691
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Keep judging.

Edit 3: certain kinds of Central Americans.

Edit 4: Dated an injun girl once.

Final Edit: No blacks.
I am reaching critical mass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #1354  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

I'm rather fond of the female assassin or mage archetype. Female warriors are okay if they focus more on skill or finesse.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #1355  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Liv Tyler
Kate Beckinsale
Sophie Marceau
Diane Kruger
Rachel Nichols
Melanie Laurent
Saoirse Ronan

So attractive.
Okay then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I already stated this opinion pages ago. I don't like it because it's deadly to the wearer, the only reason to have it is because it looks sexy.

But shouldn't Blizzard be fair on the design for both gender? Why male's armor are much more realistic rather than make you look like a male stripper?
When you think about it, females have more diversity in armor sets than males. There's diverse skimpy sets and fully armored sets. And I think that's okay because diversity is the spice of life. You can barely find anything for males that's scantily clad, other than shit like Warbear woolies or battle harnesses. I don't think giving "plate bikini" to male characters is the right solution though, because that would just look downright silly and not have its intended effect. (Unless you're Tauren Pally I guess.)

I wouldn't care if they found some way to sexualize male characters more since I'm not a huge prude about these things, but it would have to be done effectively.

People bitch about games like Tera online because it has hypersexualized women, but they forget that it also has pretty blatant sexualization of men as well. I seem to recall nearly every single armor set for races like male Castanics being bare-chested and showing off his sculpted pecs. Same went for other male race. If Blizzard did that for certain armor sets for men in Warcraft then I would have 0 problem with it since I don't put as much of a big deal on it as other people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
I'm rather fond of the female assassin or mage archetype. Female warriors are okay if they focus more on skill or finesse.
Witches man, witches are beautiful. (Not the creepy wrinkly kind... more like Witch Blair.)
Reply With Quote
  #1356  
Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I am reaching critical mass.
Your people just aren't sexy to me. I'm like Uncle Ruckus when it comes to the white woman.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #1357  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

I also prefer both genders to have less laughable designs.
Reply With Quote
  #1358  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Default

Then really you're just complaining about an art style/direction. Blizzard isn't about realism and that's ok.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1359  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Your people just aren't sexy to me. I'm like Uncle Ruckus when it comes to the white woman.
I bet this little anecdotal story from highschool will give me some "tolerance" points: I once got grabbed on the ass by a black girl in the 9th grade. She said I was hot. I felt violated for a few hours afterward.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #1360  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,691
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Your people just aren't sexy to me. I'm like Uncle Ruckus when it comes to the white woman.
I will sodomize you in the name of negro dominance.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #1361  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
I bet this little anecdotal story from highschool will give me some "tolerance" points: I once got grabbed on the ass by a black girl in the 9th grade. She said I was hot. I felt violated for a few hours afterward.
Gross. I remember reading somewhere about how white women aren't allowed to deny a black mans sexual advances because of slavery or something. The words "You just lay down and take it, don't even try to resist" were used. Maybe not in that specific order. That was a very very bad blog. That person should be put down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I will sodomize you in the name of negro dominance.
How is the 4th season of Boondocks?
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #1362  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Default

I remember when I was like 6 I was playing at a park near my house and I started playing with a black kid around my age and a few minutes later his older sister, she was probably 10 or so, comes over and starts yelling at for playing with her brother. I did not understand what was going on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1363  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

I'm quite straight, when I think someone is pretty I just tell them, when I think some fictional character is ugly I also point it out.


Is she prettier than Scarlett Jo?

Reply With Quote
  #1364  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Rufin Rufin is offline

Eternal
Rufin's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,635
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
How is the 4th season of Boondocks?
Pretty fucking terrible actully.

Anyone wanna see something that'll make their blood boil?
http://wtfsocialjustice.tumblr.com/post/91365918738
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #1365  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Pretty fucking terrible actully.

Anyone wanna see something that'll make their blood boil?
http://wtfsocialjustice.tumblr.com/post/91365918738
Bisexual women are right up there with turkey and mayo sammiches. Mmm mm good.

So in short, fuck that guy.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #1366  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:44 PM
Rufin Rufin is offline

Eternal
Rufin's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,635
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Default

So If I'm getting this all right:

If you're a straight male you are oppressing and raping women.
If you're a gay man you're misogynistic and hating women.
If you're a bisexual man you're actually gay but choose to oppress women because you're a man.

If you're a straight woman you have too much privilege.
If you're a lesbian you're awesome.
If you're bisexual you're actually a lesbian and are being pushed by society to like men.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #1367  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,556
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Default

Not a whole lot of the SJW stuff bothers me anymore(I don't agree with them, just kind of laugh at them) but Move The Fuck Over, Bro is the worst.

http://movethefuckoverbro.tumblr.com...o-to-move-over

http://movethefuckoverbro.tumblr.com...-this-for-real

Those for example. It's a terrible sexist blog.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1368  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

You guys are posting a lot of stupid shit from tumblr. Should I just hate tumblr as a general rule?
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #1369  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Rufin Rufin is offline

Eternal
Rufin's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,635
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
You guys are posting a lot of stupid shit from tumblr. Should I just hate tumblr as a general rule?
Nah. It's probably 10% SJW and 90% random fanbases.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #1370  
Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,441

Night Elf Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
When you've got people tanking monsters which by all rights ought to pick them up and eat them, whether they're male or female becomes a silly distinction to make.
You realize that is due purely to game mechanics, right? In the lore, you can't get stomped on by a gronn and survive without some sort of magical/mechanical/alchemical aid. Personally, I don't take WoW serious enough to truly care about the presence of female warriors or whatever. It doesn't bother me and it never did. Like most things in WoW, it can be chalked up to game mechanics. I stopped respecting the integrity of the story/lore somewhere around late Cataclysm, though. Things just got too shitty.

Warcraft 3 pretty much set up the "laws" of Warcraft, in my opinion. Elves were really the only races to field female warriors. Even then, they specialized in ranged combat. A human footman had less HP than an orc grunt. A human knight was superior to an orc raider. If I could've designed WoW, I would've stayed within the "laws" laid down by WC3. I can understand why that's not the smartest business decision, however.

Regardless, that argument of yours is extremely weak. Game mechanics should never be equated with lore. Your argument would actually carry weight if we saw people tanking massive beasts in the books and whatnot. But we don't. It took several worgen to take down a single magnataur. Durotan almost got killed by a talbuk. People are much more vulnerable in the lore. Much more subject to the laws of physics. The game, by necessity, has to make concessions to things like this in order to be an enjoyable experience.

I do prefer a touch of realism in my fantasy. I'm sure PJ finds that absolutely shocking. Just a touch is all I require, though. Just the most basic of things. If some race or culture or society has women that go to war with them, I'd like to know why. It's not the norm in our world and never was. Naturally, I'd like an explanation. How am I going to ever take the story seriously when the only reason there are "kickass shieldmaidens" fighting alongside men like it's normal in this fictional world is to appease a demographic in our world?

I love worldbuilding. Anything that fleshes out the world, the peoples, the cultures, history, etc. is good to me. There should be a reason for the way things are. There are reasons for the way things are and were in our world. If I'm going to truly immerse myself in this story, it should have reasons for these things as well. I don't think I'm being outrageous here.
Reply With Quote
  #1371  
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Shroombie Shroombie is offline

Eternal
Shroombie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,263

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufin View Post
Nah. It's probably 10% SJW and 90% random fanbases.
And a whole lotta porn.
__________________
...Place loses all significance...
Reply With Quote
  #1372  
Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 AM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Not a whole lot of the SJW stuff bothers me anymore(I don't agree with them, just kind of laugh at them) but Move The Fuck Over, Bro is the worst.

http://movethefuckoverbro.tumblr.com...o-to-move-over

http://movethefuckoverbro.tumblr.com...-this-for-real

Those for example. It's a terrible sexist blog.
Well, I mean, that's a pretty shitty blog, but that dude IS being an asshole to pretty much everyone. Take up a second seat? Motherfucker needs to be kicked in the head with a steel toe.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #1373  
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
And a whole lotta porn.
Wait, what? Porn on the interwebs? Sign me up!
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #1374  
Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,490

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Well, I mean, that's a pretty shitty blog, but that dude IS being an asshole to pretty much everyone. Take up a second seat? Motherfucker needs to be kicked in the head with a steel toe.
There's like a 99% chance it's a 4chan or reddit troll.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ation-lollipop
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #1375  
Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
I do prefer a touch of realism in my fantasy. I'm sure PJ finds that absolutely shocking. Just a touch is all I require, though. Just the most basic of things. If some race or culture or society has women that go to war with them, I'd like to know why. It's not the norm in our world and never was. Naturally, I'd like an explanation. How am I going to ever take the story seriously when the only reason there are "kickass shieldmaidens" fighting alongside men like it's normal in this fictional world is to appease a demographic in our world?
You can want realism in your games if you want. I just always thought WoW was a more goofy cartoony game. I think most people understand that females are typically weaker than males in the upper body strength department. Women do fight in wars though. The game can always explain it with magic and many of the races aren't even human. It is the Earth human species where women are smaller. Even the Azerothian ones have different origins.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
feminism, poisoned well, serious business

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.