Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Eternal

Default Chronicle Vol. 2 - The post-release thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Do it, Marthen!
Here you go!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Eternal

Hello
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

What is a Mereldar and can I buy this in a bookstore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Echo of the Past

You guys be sure to let me know if the leakers missed anything delicious, please.

EDIT: Example: Thandol stuff. Leaked summaries said Orgrim didn't want to cross the Wetlands, yet the map has Wetlands as Horde territory. Any added info on that would be winsome.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 03-14-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Old 03-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
What is a Mereldar and can I buy this in a bookstore?
A lake. Infested with blood elves and undead, I tell you.

Also: the sister of one of humanity's founding fathers. She was a protopaladin.

Last edited by Nazja; 03-14-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM

Arch-Druid

Waiting for a physical copy sucks but I prefer holding a real book to reading an e-book in a tablet. In the meantime, is there any art we haven't seen yet? Aegwynn and Arcanagos maybe?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
A lake. Infested with blood elves and undead, I tell you.

Also: the sister of one of humanity's founding fathers. She was a protopaladin.
Making me quote you to read this is why I've revoked our friendship.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'm surprised that there don't seem to be any mentions of the Deadmines in this campaign; nor do they mention Griselda (blackhand's daughter), Turok (her ogre lover) or the ogres living in the mines.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:00 PM

Arch-Druid

If Mannoroth was hidden behind a veil how the hell did Grom recognize him in Reign of Chaos (he says "Mannoroth? It can't be.")
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
EDIT: Example: Thandol stuff. Leaked summaries said Orgrim didn't want to cross the Wetlands, yet the map has Wetlands as Horde territory. Any added info on that would be winsome.
The problem's not the Wetlands, it's the Thandol Span. Orgrim believed that going this route would be very costly and take too long, as the Alliance would surely expect him going there, leaving the humans enough time to prepare their armies and then crush him already weakened. Which, by the way, turned to be a correct assumption; Lothar and the other commanders expected Orgrim take this route, which would leave them with enough time to fully prepare, and they were taken aback when they learned he had decided to sail around instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm surprised that there don't seem to be any mentions of the Deadmines in this campaign; nor do they mention Griselda (blackhand's daughter), Turok (her ogre lover) or the ogres living in the mines.
As I was told, they wanted to get it in, but alas, space constraits. Same as with Cho'gall's backstory, Socrethar's backstory, and many other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
If Mannoroth was hidden behind a veil how the hell did Grom recognize him in Reign of Chaos (he says "Mannoroth? It can't be.")
It's either a retcon, or Grom somehow found of Mannaroth (perhaps he was introduced to him after showing such enthusiasm). I think we will find in Volume III in any case.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I must say I am fond of the way they characterized the original five paladins, if only broadly. Uther's a pious knight and Faol's longtime apprentice, Turalyon's a venerated priest who believes in peace through strenght, Saidan's a mountain of man with an immense strength, Tirion's a zealous and resilient knight, and finally Gavinrad's a veteran of the First War who acted as Lothar's second in command during its duration.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Elune

Have my copy sitting in my hands. Will start a deep dive and see what comes up!

Orges born with two heads were exceedingly rare and a by product of the apexis crystals. Orges with the two-heads are very capable spellcasters and eventually the Goria orges figured out spells that would allow a orge to grow two heads.

The first orc clans were Blackrock, Laughing Skull, Lightning's Blade and Dragonmaw.

When they arrived in Taanan they started to adopt a savage, superstitous mindset. The orcs who kept their sanity became the Bleeding Hollow.

The Bonechewers were the ones who lost themselves to these dark impukeses.

In Frostfire Ridge, the Frostwolves and Whiteclaws, and Thunderlords arose.

In Talador, you had Burning Blade, Redwalkers, and Bladewinds.

As for Dragonmaw, they are called "Nelgor-shomash" or "Cry of the Beasts". The dragons were the rylaks. when they arrived in Azeroth, they called Azeroth's dragons "neglor" which means "loyal beasts".... oh the irony

Talgath was the demon tasked by KJ to locate the draenei and it was he who found them on Draenor. When Talgath found out what KJ was planning for the orcs as an instrument to destroy the draenei, he was furious because he felt that he should spill their blood and not some primitive orc. KJ normally would've killed him, but instead sent him away so he wouldn't be able to participate the in the downfall of the draenei.

Maraad's sister was named Leran. She was killed by the Bladewind orcs, and Maraad and several Vindicators/Rangari pretty much wiped out the entire clan. The suriviors that fled were killed by Gul'dan so they wouldn't tell anyone the truth of who had manipulated the Bladewind into attacking and sacrificing the draenei to stop the red pox.

The red pox is also what is responsible for the Broken.

Aegwynn was too powerful for even Sargeras to fully corrupt.

Stromgarde held the two islands to the west of Gilneas and the north of Kul Tiras.

Stormwind was just as isolationist as Gilneas, but for a different reason. During King Barathen's reign, they were under attack by gnolls and asked for help and the other human nations didn't send any and so SW decided that they could deal with any threat on their own, to include the Gurubashi who ended up killing Barathen.

Last edited by Ma Caque Attaque; 03-14-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Chimaera

All I've read up until now are some cliffnotes a guy posted on MMO, and before release so I don't even know if they are good...

But if they are, I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised with the account of the Rise of the Horde. Even looking at it secondhand, it's impressive how much it improved. Even somebody who is... Sorta prejudiced against orcs like I am could see that the entire race doesn't deserve nuclear extinction, after all.

I still think Blizzard can't write Draenei as they were supposed, lorewise, to be, though. It still feels like they fell far too easily.

Anyway, can't wait to have my physical copy on my hands. This looks like it's gonna be even better than the first volume.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:01 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Just finished reading it. Honestly for some reason the difference in quality (and holding my interest) between the stuff about primeval draenor and the first and second wars was starkly different. Maybe it's because I felt I knew enough about that time period and it didn't need much retconning or shoring up. I've always been more interested in ancient magics, cosmic forces and the origins of races for some reason. Still a solid, well-written book, but very different in tone from the first chronicle.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Just finished reading it. Honestly for some reason the difference in quality (and holding my interest) between the stuff about primeval draenor and the first and second wars was starkly different. Maybe it's because I felt I knew enough about that time period and it didn't need much retconning or shoring up. I've always been more interested in ancient magics, cosmic forces and the origins of races for some reason. Still a solid, well-written book, but very different in tone from the first chronicle.
You aren't the first person I've heard say that the First and Second Wars felt more rushed/abridged than the beginning of the book.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Faerie Dragon

It's indeed mostly because the Primordial Draenor stuff was entirely new and thus more fascinating than the all the rest which has already been known for a long time. Same reason Chronicle 1 was interesting. I didn't expect to be blown away by this volume, there already was a lot of lore about the first wars.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMindWontQuiet View Post
It's indeed mostly because the Primordial Draenor stuff was entirely new and thus more fascinating than the all the rest which has already been known for a long time. Same reason Chronicle 1 was interesting. I didn't expect to be blown away by this volume, there already was a lot of lore about the first wars.
Well, of course the non-naval roflstop isn't very fascinating. They worked really HARD to make it humdrum and trivial.

Blah blah gracklebitching, etc.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Arch-Druid

As a giant fan of Medivh and Khadgar and all things Council of Tirisfal, I loved that part of the book, but even then it was mostly a retread of TLG. Primordial Draenor was fantastic and definitely the main reason to buy it over hearing someone else talk about it.

Unless the next volume has Argus I don't think there will be anything new in it. May not buy it honestly.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 PM

Faerie Dragon

Buying Chronicle encourages them to produce more content of this type, and more lore. If you do want more, you should support and show them.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Eternal

Like I said in the preview thread, it honestly feels like Vol 2 should have been just Draenor and Vol 3 should have been the First and Second Wars.

Vol 2 is a lot more abridged.

Which makes me somewhat concerned for Vol 3.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
Like I said in the preview thread, it honestly feels like Vol 2 should have been just Draenor and Vol 3 should have been the First and Second Wars.

I do find it concerning that they want to go all the way up to Cata in vol 3. That's a ton of content to shove in a book.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
I do find it concerning that they want to go all the way up to Cata in vol 3. That's a ton of content to shove in a book.
You have to figure that 90% of the book will be Warcraft III/Frozen Throne.

You really can't squeeze in all of vanilla/BC/Wrath and give it the same service.

Although, I would be curious if they would do anything more on the whole "who started the Cata Alliance/Horde war"? Considering their previous comments on it.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post

They don't have to cram everything in vol. 3, though, do them? I know the plan was three volumes only, but the response to these has been, AFAIK, overwhelmingly positive. If they decided to stretch the Chronicle and include volume 4 and possibly 5, I wouldn't complain.

Heck, I would probably buy a Chronicle-like volume containing only the information on the Scarlet Crusade (Trying to follow their canon history makes my head ache). Blizzard has struck gold. They would be fools to stop now.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Eternal

Quote:
It's a ton of content, true, but if they're sticking with the same kind of high-concept summary they've gone with so far, a lot of that content is going to go quickly and not require a lot of room.

If we're looking to cover everything from the shutdown of the Dark Portal at the end of BtDP to the fall of the Lich King, then that's a period from Year 8 ADP to Year 27 ADP. I think I'll have a better idea of what that looks like after I finish reading Vol. 2, but I think the omissions we're seeing here are more a product of level-of-detail than anything else.

I'm personally more interested than ever in a new version of WC1/2/2x that brings the Chronicles version to life, by the way. I'm pretty confident Blizzard won't ever do it, but that's what the community is for.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
It's a ton of content, true, but if they're sticking with the same kind of high-concept summary they've gone with so far, a lot of that content is going to go quickly and not require a lot of room.

If we're looking to cover everything from the shutdown of the Dark Portal at the end of BtDP to the fall of the Lich King, then that's a period from Year 8 ADP to Year 27 ADP. I think I'll have a better idea of what that looks like after I finish reading Vol. 2, but I think the omissions we're seeing here are more a product of level-of-detail than anything else.

I'm personally more interested than ever in a new version of WC1/2/2x that brings the Chronicles version to life, by the way. I'm pretty confident Blizzard won't ever do it, but that's what the community is for.
Huzzah for Wc3 editors

Should make for some interesting campaigns if the book gets picked up by them

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM

Priestess of the Moon

In the index.

Dreadlord. See Jaina Proudmoore.

Never change, Blizzard.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier

Tags
lore, warcraft