Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick a faction for each prospective race.
Alliance Arrakkoa 29 46.77%
Horde Arrakkoa 19 30.65%
Alliance Ethereals 36 58.06%
Horde Ethereals 21 33.87%
Alliance Naga 19 30.65%
Horde Naga 32 51.61%
Alliance Drakonid 29 46.77%
Horde Drakonid 22 35.48%
Alliance Centaur 17 27.42%
Horde Centaur 14 22.58%
Alliance Furbolg 36 58.06%
Horde Furbolg 4 6.45%
Alliance Satyr 13 20.97%
Horde Satyr 27 43.55%
Alliance Ogres 9 14.52%
Horde Ogres 47 75.81%
Alliance Undead Nerubians 12 19.35%
Horde Undead Nerubians 29 46.77%
Alliance Vrykul 29 46.77%
Horde Vrykul 18 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 05:34 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
go away blood elf, hide behind your walls, hide behind your precious sunwell.
Bye! Best of luck! o/

*Leaves horde, locks up sin'dorei lands, letting out a sigh while sipping Suntouched wine*

Beautiful.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:40 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I think Sporelings would fit alot in the horde
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 AM

World Builder

Runes

Why -undead- nerubians in the Horde? Why not normal ones that can actually mutate to be roughly bipedal with a bit of magic on the eggs?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Why would you want bipedal Nerubians? That's like wanting legged Naga. Or legged Ragnaros.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
Why would you want bipedal Nerubians? That's like wanting legged Naga. Or legged Ragnaros.
So they could be playable. Wouldn't have to be strictly bipedal really, could have like two or three sets of legs that sit closely to each other and function as a single leg.

Not sure what the biological purpose of such an arrangement would be but anything can happen.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 AM

Banished

Horde Ogres - Why? I wanna play a two headed Ogre Fire Mage and fry people with Pyro procs in BGs. My success will be pure skill.
Alliance Furbolg - Great chance for Worgen to interact with a proper savage and druidic race. Blizzard could also go full Celtic on Furbolgs.

In the end I know it'll be Drakonoids. Why? EVERY game ends up with Drakonoids sooner or later, people love dragons even more than Demon Hunters.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
So they could be playable. Wouldn't have to be strictly bipedal really, could have like two or three sets of legs that sit closely to each other and function as a single leg.

Not sure what the biological purpose of such an arrangement would be but anything can happen.

I can see that working just fine, yes.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Horrible, but technically not worse than Pandas with tits, snakes with tits, spacegoats with tits, anorexic elfes with tits and cows with only two tits.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post

How would that work with leg armor? Just double the amount of pant legs on each set?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Everything listed here for the Alliance.

Horde get new races that Blizzard just made up that are almost never seen again after their respective starting zones beyond the token quest hub.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
How would that work with leg armor? Just double the amount of pant legs on each set?
Pretty much

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Everything listed here for the Alliance.

Horde get new races that Blizzard just made up that are almost never seen again after their respective starting zones beyond the token quest hub.
I see what you did there.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM

Site Staff - Admin

I think if Naga are ever added they would probably be as a neutral race or hero class, either that or they would have to come up with an equally-compelling race for the opposite faction as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Eternal

The only options I like on this list are Ogres for the Horde and Furbolgs for the Alliance. And I think the absence of Alliance High Elves is a notable omission, as that's highly request even with Blood Elves already being on the Horde.

Arrakoa have got one instance of one member working with the Alliance (in BtDP) but BC demonstrated that they're really all over the place in terms of allegiance. I could see them going either way (if they're able to get over the Orcs blowing up Draenor) but I also don't see much of a narrative potential for the race.

Ethereals are the new goblins. They literally exist for the sake of profit, meaning they benefit more from being on both sides of the conflict. It's both or neither for these guys, and honestly the absence of a good narrative AND the lack of customization options makes them unlikely.

Naga, Centaur, Nerubians, Children of Cenarius: No to all. If you're not bipedal humanoids, you can get right the fuck off the playable races list. RIGHT OFF.

Drakonids: I can see potential on either side, but with the dwindling importance of dragons to the overall game narrative I don't see it happening.

Vrykul: Big humans? Why? There's nothing accomplished by bringing them out of Northrend aside from having more aggressive human models, and that's better accomplished by, y'know, having more aggressive human models.

Satyr: Not sure of the narrative. These guys are 100% in the pocket of the Legion. And hasn't it been demonstrated that if a satyr gets redeemed they basically revert to being a Night Elf? So what would actually be the point?

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Ethereals are the new goblins. They literally exist for the sake of profit, meaning they benefit more from being on both sides of the conflict. It's both or neither for these guys, and honestly the absence of a good narrative AND the lack of customization options makes them unlikely.
I think there are some important distinctions to make here. Ethereals are often profit-motivated, but we do see in Netherstorm that they have a strong motivation in opposing the void. It gives them a dimension of trying to keep their culture together even as their homeworld has been destroyed and their ruling class disintegrated in their lust for vengeance. It's a different perspective on the merchant race, the techy race, the refugee race, and the unnatural life form race all in one. As far as customization goes, I'd contend that you can probably run with the concept of their physical bodies being entirely artificial to allow them a lot of different materials and patterns. Imagine an ethereal who is bound in inscribed metal plates, or exotic furs (this could even make for a cool racial gimmick if certain options were only open to certain classes, like warriors and hunters for the two I just mentioned).
Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I think there are some important distinctions to make here. Ethereals are often profit-motivated, but we do see in Netherstorm that they have a strong motivation in opposing the void. It gives them a dimension of trying to keep their culture together even as their homeworld has been destroyed and their ruling class disintegrated in their lust for vengeance. It's a different perspective on the merchant race, the techy race, the refugee race, and the unnatural life form race all in one. As far as customization goes, I'd contend that you can probably run with the concept of their physical bodies being entirely artificial to allow them a lot of different materials and patterns. Imagine an ethereal who is bound in inscribed metal plates, or exotic furs (this could even make for a cool racial gimmick if certain options were only open to certain classes, like warriors and hunters for the two I just mentioned).
Hmm. Point taken. If the Ethereal narrative is going be "vengeance against the Void" and the Void is working with the Legion, then I could see the Ethereals wanting the help of whoever's willing to be the hero. Which says to me "Horde AND Alliance."

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Vrykul in the Horde makes a little bit more sense. Too many human-like races on the Alliance, they need some variety. And The Horde could use an unapologetic strong and big race that Isn't trying so hard to demonstrate they are not the bad guys (orcs).

And Arakkoa for the Alliance. They need more antropomorphic, fantastic races that arent just humans in a different skin color. That's why I'm all for playable Jinyu in the Alliance, and the only Alliance race I've played to max level is a Worgen.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
They need more antropomorphic, fantastic races that arent just humans in a different skin color. That's why I'm all for playable Jinyu in the Alliance, and the only Alliance race I've played to max level is a Worgen.
The only Alliance race you've played is the only one that begins the game as a human, and also has the specific power to change into human appearance at any point in the game later?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Out of those races, Ethereals are the only ones I could see as a neutral race. They've shown before to be opportunistic so they'd have no problem with figihting their own kind on the other side of the faction conflict. They'd fit much better as a neutral race than the Pandaren.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Medivh

I think an Alliance Ethereal v. Horde Goblins would be a pretty cool dynamic to see in-game.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I think an Alliance Ethereal v. Horde Goblins would be a pretty cool dynamic to see in-game.
Agreed. Gnomes are the Goblins' rivals when it comes to technology, Ethereals could be the ones for greedyness.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Hippogryph Rider
BattleTag: Arbi #1298

Alliance Vrykul would be so hardcore I can't even contain the feelings i'm getting.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbi View Post
Alliance Vrykul would be so hardcore I can't even contain the feelings i'm getting.
I also would like Alliance Vrykul, they would really provide both an interesting historical narrative and a hardcore asskicking take no shit badass race. Worgen have been so whitewashed as the savage bestial race, downplaying all of those aspects and turning them into Human Nightelves. The idea of humanity exploring their roots and the Vrykul exploring their misbegotten children's accomplishments is simply too delicious.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I also would like Alliance Vrykul, they would really provide both an interesting historical narrative and a hardcore asskicking take no shit badass race. Worgen have been so whitewashed as the savage bestial race, downplaying all of those aspects and turning them into Human Nightelves. The idea of humanity exploring their roots and the Vrykul exploring their misbegotten children's accomplishments is simply too delicious.
This feels like the path to disappointment. Nothing about what was promised with the Worgen was delivered, and I don't think I'm being cynical if I say I don't expect that the vrykul would fare any better.

You argue that the worgen are just furry night elves, but I don't see how Vrykul wouldn't easily just end up being tall humans... with more dwarf tendencies, given all the scottish viking stuff.

Tags
factions, playable arakkoa when, poll, races, survey, warcraft, world of warcraft