Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Eternal

Well, you also got winter elves. But most of them belong to Everblight's Legion, meaning they're infested and controlled by the essense of a dead dragon.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:26 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

What I really like about this game is that every army has female units/characters.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
What I really like about this game is that every army has female units/characters.
My personal favourite:

Old 03-15-2015, 05:03 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Yeah, Menoth is pretty cool.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:04 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Well, you also got winter elves. But most of them belong to Everblight's Legion, meaning they're infested and controlled by the essense of a dead dragon.
You say that like it's a bad thing

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-15-2015, 05:13 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing
It is, better to die free than to be a slave.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
I think I'll play the Khador or Orboros. But I don't know what I should take to begin in this game...
Both Khador and the Orboros feature in the Two-player Battle Box of their respective games, so that's a good start if you can find somebody else to split the Menoth/Legion part with. Also gets you a mini-rulebook and stuff like tape measures.

Other option is the Battlegroup for the two factions.

The third option is to find a Warcaster/Warlock you like the look of and start building your way up from there, though even within the same faction they can pretty drastically change the play-style. If you like the look of Assault Kommandos you might pick up Kommander Strakhov for example, though any Warcaster can take any units. On that note, which Units did you like the look of? Since you mentioned preferring them.

Last edited by Drusus; 03-15-2015 at 05:29 PM..
Old 03-15-2015, 08:23 PM

Elune

If I had to choose an army, it would be Menoth hands down.

For very obvious reasons...

Old 03-15-2015, 08:39 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
It is, better to die free than to be a slave.
You're only a slave if you don't enjoy your work destroying all that insolently dare oppose your dark master.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
You're only a slave if you don't enjoy your work destroying all that insolently dare oppose your dark master.
They say that if you love what you do you won't work a day in your life.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:02 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
They say that if you love what you do you won't work a day in your life.

Exactly

Also, the Skorne are interesting to a degree but the Agonizers are a bit much for me, the Skorne just seem like huge jerks

I've sympathy for the Trollbloods but they're not really interesting imo

Cryx and Everblight are my faves.

Toruk or Everblight? Father or son? Who will win out in the end?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
On that note, which Units did you like the look of? Since you mentioned preferring them.
Thanks for the informations. For the Khador, I really like their heavy armoured human troops (the Man O' War mainly) but also the Winter Guard troops and the Assault Kommando (plus their warjacks, but I've read they aren't that great, sadly). As for Orboros, it is mainly the Wolves of Orboros (whose armours are fantastic) and Warpthings.

Quote:
Toruk or Everblight? Father or son? Who will win out in the end?
The Khador. or the Circle of Orboros, I really don't know.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So there's no sadistic/slutty elf group that makes life miserable for everyone but still somehow lives on?
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/...+of+Everblight
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:40 AM

Elune

Pretty much every group in Warmachine/Hordes has a War40K compliment...

Cygnar - Imperium of Man or Space Marines
Menoth - Adeptus Ministorum
Khador - Imperial Guard
Cryx - Necrons
Scyrah - Eldar
Everblight - Dark Eldar/Tyranide
Cyriss - Tau
Skorne - Chaos Space Marines
Trollbloods - Orks

Last edited by Ma Caque Attaque; 03-16-2015 at 02:54 AM..
Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Pretty much every group in Warmachine/Hordes has a War40K compliment...

Cygnar - Imperium of Man or Space Marines
Menoth - Adeptus Ministorum
Khador - Imperial Guard
Cryx - Necrons
Scyrah - Eldar
Everblight - Dark Eldar
Cyriss - Tau
Skorne - Chaos Space Marines
Trollbloods - Orks
There's one main difference between Scyrah and the Eldar. The Scyrah seem to be actually working to save their people from extinction instead of being all emo and do nothing as they wait for their end like the Eldar.
Hell, they've managed to secure one of the last two of their gods, that must count for something. If they can stop whatever it is that's slowly killing them and their gods they can have a future.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
There's one main difference between Scyrah and the Eldar. The Scyrah seem to be actually working to save their people from extinction instead of being all emo and do nothing as they wait for their end like the Eldar.
Hell, they've managed to secure one of the last two of their gods, that must count for something. If they can stop whatever it is that's slowly killing them and their gods they can have a future.
Are they exact copies? No, but when you look deeper you can see the similarities.

Quote:
The elven nation of Ios has long secluded itself from the kingdoms of man, and for centuries those who crossed its borders without invitation would not return. This nation is decidedly xenophobic, although in decades past it conducted periodic trade and maintained some limited communication with its neighbors. Its ambassadors were always close-lipped and secretive even in the best of times, but several decades ago Ios sealed its borders entirely. Outsiders know little of Ios with any certainty, except that its people have their own culture and a religion entirely distinct from the rest of the Iron Kingdoms, including unique arcane techniques and their own blend of magic and technology called arcanika. To most, elves are an exotic and dangerous enigma.

Unknown to the other nations, the Iosans have long endured awareness of a looming catastrophe, one that if left unresolved will result in their extinction. The Iosans are the remnants of a once-vast empire from the east and have been in gradual decline for thousands of years. Their plight has been brought into sharper relief by recent events that have led radical groups to rise to greater prominence. A sect known as the Retribution of Scyrah has transformed from an outlawed sect to a growing power within Ios’ military and government, and this group believes the woes of this nation can be solved only by the eradication of humanity, particularly human wizards and mechaniks. The Retribution has been secretly working outside Ios’ borders for centuries, establishing safe houses for their agents and conducting covert attacks on human mages.

As these zealots gain power, others who do not wish to become embroiled in open war fear the volatility of their agenda. Some Iosans reject the violent goals of the Retribution and would seek to solve their problems through rational means, including reaching out to other nations for information and aid. Even these more benevolent individuals are wary of revealing the secrets of their ailing people and do not comfortably mingle with outsiders, though. Despite this, they will enter into uncomfortable alliances as a matter of necessity, spending their lives working to unlock any secret that can forestall the doom of their kind.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Are they exact copies? No, but when you look deeper you can see the similarities.
The latest lore has seen large strife with Khador which has lead to them reclaiming their god of winter. now they have both of their last gods in their hands and they've been successful on other fronts too which shows their momentum.
If I ever buy an army I'll try to theme it after the Nyss, the core of my army being uncorrupted nyssian exiles.
There is sadly only one Nyss mercenary unit available.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
The latest lore has seen large strife with Khador which has lead to them reclaiming their god of winter. now they have both of their last gods in their hands and they've been successful on other fronts too which shows their momentum.
If I ever buy an army I'll try to theme it after the Nyss, the core of my army being uncorrupted nyssian exiles.
There is sadly only one Nyss mercenary unit available.
Where can I learn from the latest lore ? So far, what I have read simply say that they now that their God of Winter is in Khador.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 AM

Elune

Quote:
Where can I learn from the latest lore ? So far, what I have read simply say that they now that their God of Winter is in Khador.
Yes, tell us... tell us....
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
Warmachine's lore advances through yearly 'expansion' books. Think the way the End Times books have worked and you get the gist of it. Since Warmahordes has only had one new 'edition' (Prime MK11) and that was about five years ago. The MK1 books followed a similar pattern but they're out of print, though you can apparently buy the PDFs for cheap as chips or I guess find a torrent.

So, in lore order..

Warmachine Prime MK2
Wrath (2011)
Colossals (2012)
Vengeance (2014)
Reckoning TBA (2015 - Not released yet but it's coming soon)

There's also the Forces of: XYZ books. Aside from the Convergence book (because they were released later), they detail the faction's current status at the same time as the MK2 book.

The monthly No Quarter magazine also has some lore in it too but obviously that's a lot of issues.

Quote:
Thanks for the informations. For the Khador, I really like their heavy armoured human troops (the Man O' War mainly) but also the Winter Guard troops and the Assault Kommando (plus their warjacks, but I've read they aren't that great, sadly). As for Orboros, it is mainly the Wolves of Orboros (whose armours are fantastic) and Warpthings.
Man O' War are generally considered "Meh." They're not bad, they're just too slow. I don't play Khador but that seems to be the general consensus. The "Winter Guard Death Star" is apparently a very popular build with eSorscha. Assault Kommandos I've heard are actually pretty damn decent.

If you like the Warp Wolves then the Circle Battlebox may be a good start.

Last edited by Drusus; 03-16-2015 at 05:18 AM..
Old 03-16-2015, 04:27 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

I like Eyriss. She's a mercenary from Ios. Her fluff is that, after each won battle, she murders the Warcaster who hired her, lest s/he be an elf.

Sadly, my Convergence can't have mercenaries.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 AM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/...tion+of+Scyrah

For example. House Vyre were the ones instrumental in defeating Khador in securing the god of winter, redeeming them in the eyes of their kin.

Quote:
The bands of fanatics who embraced this belief called themselves the Retribution of Scyrah. Though long a small, fringe sect, as every other avenue of inquiry has proved fruitless, many more have turned to the Retribution in order to do something. For decades, the Retribution's trained hunters have stalked human wizards and destroyed their devices, but the sheer size of humanity and its pervasive reach makes these victories little better than flees biting a horse. Despised and dismissed, the Retribution languished, having taken on a hopeless task and lacking every resource but the will to see it done. All that changed when the Mage Hunter Eiryss brought news from Khador. Nyssor, Scyir of Winter, still lived. Sealed in a block of ice, his chosen people—the Nyss—had long kept him safe. With their corruption by the dragon Everblight, a few remaining pure Nyss had been forced to move their god, and he had fallen into the hands of the Khadoran Greylords Covenant.

The news rocked Ios. The Retribution—the one group uniquely positioned to both intervene and benefit from this turn of events—capitalized on the outpouring of rage and grew dramatically. Not only did their size increase, but long-hidden allies stepped forth to support them, lending legitimacy to their zealotry. Two of the great military Houses of Ios publicly announced their support for the Retribution. This has given the Retribution access to the kind of armed power commanded only by nations, including myrmidons. Far more elegant than the clunky, steam-powered warjacks humans rely upon, these magically animated works of art have joined an arsenal of innumerable other weaponry more than equal to anything ever produced by humanity. Though some argue that the Houses support the Retribution purely for political reasons, the pragmatic goal of retrieving Nyssor is simply too important to ignore.

The Retribution is on the move and gaining support among the Iosan people. Even House Vyre has taken up arms and joined the cause. Lord Arcanist Ossyan Vyre, a relatively junior warcaster, recently clashed with Goreshade and managed to secure Nyssor's vault. Very recently, Trollbloods were driven out of the lake region and Skorne have been massing in this staging area. An invasion seems imminent, and with much of the Retribution fighting in Khador, the future may hold very difficult times for the elves of Ios.

While Nyssor is still far from safe, each arcanist, warjack, and arcane trinket destroyed loosens the noose around Scyrah's neck. Each action to save our people is justified. Our future will be cast by fire and steel.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 03-16-2015 at 04:37 AM..
Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I like Eyriss. She's a mercenary from Ios. Her fluff is that, after each won battle, she murders the Warcaster who hired her, lest s/he be an elf.
Garithos was right.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Garithos was right.
Garithos is always right, when there is elves.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 AM

Elune

Flicking through my Forces of: Protectorate of Menoth book I really, really, like the Harbringer's story. She and a contingent of soldiers fight to save a Khadoran village (who worship the Old Faith AKA Menoth) from the Cryx. They realise they can't hold off a counter-attack and so gather the villagers and take them south to the Protectorate with the Cryx on their tails. On the way, they encounter Morrowan refugees (the dominant human faith) led by a priest. There's too many refugees between both groups for them to make it south in time/with their supplies, and tells the priest to cast off Morrow and worship Menoth instead which she genuinely wants him to do (because she DOES want to save them).

The priest throws off his idols (with hesitation) and claims/preaches they'll convert to worship Menoth, but the Harbringer senses he's just trying to say the right things and isn't going to. So, she tells him she won't help him, but tells him and his followers to try and find the City of Man when they reach Uncaen (the afterlife). She then turns away and starts crying.

That's why I love the Protectorate. It just has so much grey morality in its individuals and as a faction.

Tags
eye of kilrog, warhammer