Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Anansi the spider god?

Lady I watched Wishbone, Static Shock and Marvels Sacred Invasion tie-in to Secret Invasion

...that horrible moment where you realize how nerdy you have become.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullroarer View Post
Anansi the spider god?

Lady I watched Wishbone, Static Shock and Marvels Sacred Invasion tie-in to Secret Invasion

...that horrible moment where you realize how nerdy you have become.
I just read books about mythology of various cultures. That's pretty goddamn nerdy, too.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I just read books about mythology of various cultures. That's pretty goddamn nerdy, too.
I knew about Anansi before Neil Gaiman wrote American Gods or Anansi Boys.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-05-2016, 03:13 AM

Arch-Druid

I just want to say, the title sounds like a really cheesy mystery novel title.

"Nancy Drew and The Carnivorous Mount Conundrum"!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:19 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

A mortal I once knew was first introduced to my name by a children's book about some African myth involving a spider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

This is an interesting discussion, since I'm in the midst of designing a Jungle Troll faction which features raptors, t-rexes, swamp lizards, snakes, bats (vampire & fruit), & spiders. I always try & keep in mind 'realism', so thanks.

I attempted to solve part of this issue by making the Vampire Bats leech HP from whoever they attack... even allies. Thought that would be a nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
A mortal I once knew was first introduced to my name by a children's book about some African myth involving a spider.
Oh hey, good to see you again.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
I want everyone here to pause and think how much dragons must consume. The energy it must take for something of that size to fly.

My guess is that all animals are like superheroes. They have superhuman stamina. They can go without food longer than animals in the real world.
I assumed that under the hood they were all actually titanic cyborgs.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Ranger

Some carnivores do occasionally eat plants, but their main source of food remains meat. Their dentition and digestive system are not made for an herbivorous diet.

And considering the dentition of nightsabers and dire wolves, I am going to say that them being mostly carnivorous is a pretty reasonable assumption.

As mentioned, I was guessing that this was less of a problem for the night elves, considering that they have been seen waging war mostly on territories they have been occupying for thousand of years. Their logistic is probably pretty well-oiled. Also I am imagining that in time of peace, nightsabers are let to roam free, and are only called upon when needed, limiting the strain on the local ecosystem to punctual period in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
The fantasy answer says this: For Night Elves, they only have to ask a deer or stag to yield itself to their needs. For Orcs, it could be much the same, Golden's Lord of the Clans mentions as much for the Alterac Rams.
I am now imagining a bunch of druids whose sole role in the night elves army is to negotiate with the animal spirits all over Ashenvale to try not to decimate the local wildlife when 30 huntresses are gathered in the same place ^^.

I am having a harder time seeing the orcs do the same thing on the same scale though, they don't seem to be as in touch with the wildlife . But as said, they also seem to have a hard time not wrecking every place they live in. So that's actually fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Look at the shape and size of WarCraft's Orcs. Humans generally eat, what, about 2,000 calories? How much you think goes into maintaining the Orcish Horde? Or a single Tauren tribe?
If I remember correctly, Taurens are supposedly nomadic, probably because of the amount of resource they need. As for the orcs, though grunts are indeed pretty massive, the peons that must constitute a big part of the orcish population are pretty frail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
That said, summoning food and getting sustenance from magic is a thing in the setting.
Is that actually widespread ?

Quote:
Moonwells were described in warcraft III as giving sustenance, so they might just give their kitties milk-platters of moonwell water.
Oh, I didn't think of that. Kind of like the water of the Ents in lord of the rings.

Quote:
I want everyone here to pause and think how much dragons must consume. The energy it must take for something of that size to fly.
A cool text on the subject : https://sites.google.com/site/anthon...dragon-physics . Long story short : magical nuclear reactor is pretty much the only solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
I just want to say, the title sounds like a really cheesy mystery novel title.

"Nancy Drew and The Carnivorous Mount Conundrum"!
Thank you, I tried my best .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
This is an interesting discussion, since I'm in the midst of designing a Jungle Troll faction which features raptors, t-rexes, swamp lizards, snakes, bats (vampire & fruit), & spiders. I always try & keep in mind 'realism', so thanks.
I am imagining trolls being much closer to the night elves when it comes to dealing with the wildlife. More "calling on the force of nature once in while" and less "I maintain a constant force of giant meat-eating killing machines for my soldiers to ride on to battle".

I am also guessing that if you have a predator the size of T-rex, you probably have herbivores as big or bigger. How about herding a few brontosaurus ( what do you mean they don't exist ? ) for your vampire bats to feed on ? They can probably survive it.

Which makes me thinks of kodos. Are kodo farms a thing ?

Last edited by Morvant; 02-05-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morvant View Post
Thank you, I tried my best .

I am imagining trolls being much closer to the night elves when it comes to dealing with the wildlife. More "calling on the force of nature once in while" and less "I maintain a constant force of giant meat-eating killing machines for my soldiers to ride on to battle".

I am also guessing that if you have a predator the size of T-rex, you probably have herbivores as big or bigger. How about herding a few brontosaurus ( what do you mean they don't exist ? ) for your vampire bats to feed on ? They can probably survive it.

Which makes me thinks of kodos. Are kodo farms a thing ?
I suppose, though the primitive, tribal nature of Trolls lends me to think they are less prone/capable to/of that as Night Elves.

In-universe/lore? Sure. In-game? No place for it, unfortunately.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 02-05-2016, 03:34 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

You guys should check out the Beast Pens, on the Isle of Thunder, and the Isle of Giants. It seems that trolls introduce their beasts into a foreign ecosystem, breed them and subjugate a few, whenever they're needed.

Basically, dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) are a troll's mustang. Patch 5.2 also proves that trolls are the reason why raptors are found on every continent.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I figured most trolls would be have subsistence economies. Given that druidism is a pretty new thing, I'm not sure that they'd have the ability to just call on animals as needed. Plus, given their limited food supply, they couldn't necessarily afford to just let animals roam free.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Crossed Axes (War2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
You guys should check out the Beast Pens, on the Isle of Thunder, and the Isle of Giants. It seems that trolls introduce their beasts into a foreign ecosystem, breed them and subjugate a few, whenever they're needed.

Basically, dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) are a troll's mustang.
Patch 5.2 also proves that trolls are the reason why raptors are found on every continent.

ZANDALAR IS FUCKING RAD.

Last edited by Hagrid; 02-07-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 PM

nice

Tags
critical thinking, mounts