Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default The Warrior Poet

I figured I'd re-post this from the story forums since I'm sorta on a temp ban right now. (Silliness)

The minstrel boy to the war has gone,
In the ranks of death you'll find him;
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him.

Thomas Moore, The Minstrel Boy.

What is a warrior poet? Well I'll tell you.

A Warrior Poet is like any other warrior, however there is a very distinct level of difference. Not only is the warrior poet gifted in martial prowess, but he has also mastered many other avenues that range from the spiritual, to the intellectual, to the artistic. A warrior poet is often characterized not only by his blade, but also in that he learns to develop both mind and body to perfection. To the warrior poet, warfare is an art and the weapon he wields is like a brush and the battlefield is his canvas. Never mistake a warrior poet for being passive, as he can be just brutal and effective as any barbarian or ruffian.

Why do I bring this all up? Well I personally think this would be a neat direction to see for the certain warrior type characters that are slowly making a rise in recent Warcraft Lore. One good example of a warrior poet is Thrall, who once wrote a heroic poem dedicated to his father. I also believe that Varian Wrynn could easily ascend warrior poet-hood given his current spiritual experiences and connections with the wolf spirit. Ideally I would also like to see maybe Garrosh Hellscream evolve more and ascend warrior poethood at some turn in the Lore given that it looks as if he is starting to develop again. I also find that Paladins and Death Knights could also fit the Warrior Poet trope as Paladins mix spirituality with warfare whereas Death Knights have some semblance of poetic speech to them. To relate to this my Death Knight was once a warrior poet in his life as he was very a passionate writer and devoted to ancient Lore. Now in his unlife he still retains a semblance of his past self but with a much darker twist. (Think Edgar Allen Poe but with a massive battle axe and necromantic powers, if you will)

For better examples as referenced from the link: (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WarriorPoet)

Known Warrior Poets in fiction:
Wolverine from the X-Men.
Guts from Berserk.
Urdnot Wrex and Ashley Williams from Mass Effect.
Dinobot from Beast Wars.
Thrall and quite possibly Varok Saurfang.

Real world examples:
Winston Churchill
Lord Byron
Julius Caesar
Possibly Napoleon Bonaparte
Bruce Lee

So TL;DR I would like to see more warriors that have a sense of intellectual prowess as well as a bit of philosophy to their combat. I could easily see this with some warrior characters, but what does anyone else think?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
I figured I'd re-post this from the story forums since I'm sorta on a temp ban right now. (Silliness)
So

Whadcha do?
The trouble with Europe, is that it is full of Drz.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskinRidge View Post
So

Whadcha do?
Meh, I made swear words. Though I mostly just went @#$#% and didn't really explicitly say it. I'm sure other story forum posters have been down that road.

Quote:
Origination: Forums / Comments
Ban Type: Obscene Language
Expires: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:18:57 PM PDT (in 2 days, 22 hours)
Ban Reason: Suspended from the World of Warcraft forums for a 72 hour period for posting / masking obscene, vulgar or inappropriate language on the forums.

By: Talrendas, L85 Night Elf Druid, <AoA>, Mok'Nathal
Forum > Story Forum
Thread Title:
The jig has been up for a while now.
Reply #37
Timestamp:
Sep 10, 2011 12:31:08 PM
If you'll forgive me cross-posting, the post I made in the other Wolfheart thread sums up my feelings well on this pile of sewage on paper that Knaak called a book:Wolfheart is just more of Knaak's drivel that proves he has no character variety, no respect for females, no talent at writing anything beyond a cliche'd Dragon Ball Z-style one-on-one fight, no understanding of the Warcraft setting, and no ability as a writer. Congratulations, Knaak, you continue your proud trend of being the only Warcraft author I refuse to spend a cent on, I look forward to seeing who else you can derail as badly as you derailed Maiev and what other females you shuffle to the sidelines to make way for the big, strong men.

For Night Elves, it really really sucks.But it's not... THAT bad. The fight between Varian and Garrosh is a very grounded one on one fight, and there's no superpowers involved or any such silly garbage.So far in terms of the way Varian was handled and the integration of the Worgen, I would say the book did a pretty damn good job and that impresses me enough. And now we have an Alliance leader that actually gives a @#$% about Ashenvale. Whether he's Night Elf or not, it really doesn't matter. Having a character worth rallying behind is enough for me, it's the least I'll ask for.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 09-10-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Eternal

I never really considered Varian a warrior-poet but I guess that could happen.

I have at some point considered Illidan the closest thing to a warrior-poet in Warcraft.

He's a fighter(God knows how he learned how to fight with his glaives in prison) and hearing him speak in some cut scenes/intros from war3/tbc made me think he just might make a good one compared to other characters.

Made me wonder if that book he wrote about the Emerald Dream might be canon.

And lol you got banned for using the word 'shit'. I find that stupid and hilarious.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Eternal

Warrior Poet.

Sounds like Shamans and Paladins.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
Warrior Poet.

Or quite a few Warriors.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Warrior Poet.

Indeed, and I wouldn't exclude them from the spectrum either.

I also find that Worgen have a modest sense of Warrior Poet-hood in them too, as they're really cultured and even quote Shakespeare in one of their emotes.

"Discretion is the better part of valor, now flee!"
Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
Lord Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

It seems like a warrior-poet would fit well with a knight type character.

To bad we don't have the Brotherhood of the Horse around.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
Or quite a few Warriors.
From what I understood of the warrior class in Warcraft, it was made up of men and women who esched any form of mystical power or aid when facing any sort of confrontation or conflict, instead deigning to rely upon their own physical skill and martial prowess in order to solve it for their own glory/honor.

In short, kind of like all Orc warriors. Its why I felt it was proper that Blood Elves didn't start with warriors; they're a magical race, and magic is everything to them. Can also say that its the reason I felt no real sense of interest like others when Blood Elves got Warriors as a playable class. May as well given them Druids.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:54 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

The thing with blood elf warriors, and all warriors in general, is that there is no explanation needed for them. A blood elf picked up a sword a put on some armor. That's all you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
From what I understood of the warrior class in Warcraft, it was made up of men and women who esched any form of mystical power or aid when facing any sort of confrontation or conflict, instead deigning to rely upon their own physical skill and martial prowess in order to solve it for their own glory/honor.

In short, kind of like all Orc warriors. Its why I felt it was proper that Blood Elves didn't start with warriors; they're a magical race, and magic is everything to them. Can also say that its the reason I felt no real sense of interest like others when Blood Elves got Warriors as a playable class. May as well given them Druids.
The 'classical' Warrior is usually seen as one of a few things. They're a Barbarian, like vikings or other norse, they're a Knight, like classical European... well, knights, or they're a mercenary.

They can really fit into any of these stereotypes, or a few others. But those are generally your basic three.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
The thing with blood elf warriors, and all warriors in general, is that there is no explanation needed for them. A blood elf picked up a sword a put on some armor. That's all you need.

Which is used to explain gnome warriors who make no sense unless Azeroth has some strange laws of physics and gnomish biology compensates for the size issue. Then again, we'd probably see more Yoda-like tendencies of asswhooping from them.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Which is used to explain gnome warriors who make no sense unless Azeroth has some strange laws of physics and gnomish biology compensates for the size issue. Then again, we'd probably see more Yoda-like tendencies of asswhooping from them.
Their armor and such is undersized. How doesn't it make sense?

They're not midgets, in that they have really awkward body proportions and health issues.

They're just really small.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Their armor and such is undersized. How doesn't it make sense?

They're not midgets, in that they have really awkward body proportions and health issues.

They're just really small.
Which means many things. A Gnomish Warrior can do anything a Tauren warrior can? How is that possible? Not only is a Tauren like, 20x bigger than a gnome, but they're built for strength and endurance by nature. A tauren could tank a dragon. How could a gnome? An Orc can wield a massive two-handed blade and decapitate foes by the dozens with a single swing. A gnome's sword by comparison would be the size of a baseball bat and with the strength they should possess, maybe scratch an enemy's shin guards.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Which means many things. A Gnomish Warrior can do anything a Tauren warrior can? How is that possible? Not only is a Tauren like, 20x bigger than a gnome, but they're built for strength and endurance by nature. A tauren could tank a dragon. How could a gnome? An Orc can wield a massive two-handed blade and decapitate foes by the dozens with a single swing. A gnome's sword by comparison would be the size of a baseball bat and with the strength they should possess, maybe scratch an enemy's shin guards.
The answer is a Tauren can't tank a dragon.

I would imagine Gnome warriors are enhanced by gears and body suits to make themselves stronger and faster. Alchemical potions that kick their bodies into over drive wouldn't surprise me either.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
The answer is a Tauren can't tank a dragon.

I would imagine Gnome warriors are enhanced by gears and body suits to make themselves stronger and faster. Alchemical potions that kick their bodies into over drive wouldn't surprise me either.
All of which is open to a Tauren as well =)

There's also the facts that gnomes as a race boast -no- martial prowess or experience whatsoever. The -only- offensive gnomish unit in any of the games prior to WoW was WC2's submarine, and the voices made it clear it was piloted by Dwarves.

Gnomes are geniuses. Their tiny stature makes for dexterity and swiftness. Altogether, they make for good spellcasters and rogues (possibly hunters as well) with those qualities. Warriors they do not make sense for.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
All of which is open to a Tauren as well =)

There's also the facts that gnomes as a race boast -no- martial prowess or experience whatsoever. The -only- offensive gnomish unit in any of the games prior to WoW was WC2's submarine, and the voices made it clear it was piloted by Dwarves.

Gnomes are geniuses. Their tiny stature makes for dexterity and swiftness. Altogether, they make for good spellcasters and rogues (possibly hunters as well) with those qualities. Warriors they do not make sense for.
You're letting real-world ideas guide your thinking of a fantasy world, where many of our rules don't apply.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Eternal

Quote:
You're letting real-world ideas guide your thinking of a fantasy world, where many of our rules don't apply.
Oh, I'm aware =)

I just feel it doesn't make sense for a Gnome to want to pick up a sword and a shield and go fight when there are machines to build and Science to discover!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Elune

I feel like we're arguing semantics abit too much here. :s
Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Oh, I'm aware =)

I just feel it doesn't make sense for a Gnome to want to pick up a sword and a shield and go fight when there are machines to build and Science to discover!
It takes all types to form a race.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:33 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The whole concept of "war" was pretty foreign to gnomes, and there were no gnome "warriors" until Vanilla WoW. Gelbin mentions that gnomes had JUST started practicing the martial arts when they began living with the dwarves. It's probably why it took so long to take back gnomeregan, since they had to form an army from scratch in the 10 years since gnomer got irradiated.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Ever built a machine? Especially some of the bigger ones built by Gnome society? It's not easy, and it involves a lot of manual work. And they didn't ask others to do it for them all that often.

The gnomes that built the machines? Probably became Gnome Warriors when it came time to flee their mechanical world and were forced to try to fight to retake it.

Think like this:
Gnome Warriors - Construction workers
Gnome Rogues - Tinkerers, maintenance
Gnome Mages/Warlocks - Scientists
Gnome Priests - Healers that rose up to counter the irradiation of their city