Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
I still don't know what the hell it's about aside from (probably?) starring Rainbow Dash. The question is which Rainbow Dash; regular Dashy or barely-5-minutes-of-screentime-in-the-first-movie-AU-Rainbow Dash?
Here, I'll just give you the summary.

Quote:
Canterlot High is hosting a musical showcase and Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy are going to be performing with their new band, the Rainbooms. But when a new girl group, the Dazzlings, arrives at CHS, they convince everyone to turn the friendly showcase into a Battle of the Bands. As tensions mount between the competing musical acts, a reformed Sunset Shimmer realizes that the Dazzlings may not be ordinary girls and are after something far more sinister than just being named Best Band at Canterlot High. The Rainbooms call on Princess Twilight to return to their world to help them perform a musical counter-spell so that they can win a battle that now determines the fate of the entire school.
Yeah... sorry, no Rainbow Dash movie, but the fandom not being on fire with outrage that their favorite pony didn't get a movie should have been a hint.

And as a Canadian who has to wait 3-4 months for them to air up here, I get the annoyance with YT taking episodes down... and the ones they don't have Inane Commentary over them.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
Yeah... sorry, no Rainbow Dash movie, but the fandom not being on fire with outrage that their favorite pony didn't get a movie should have been a hint.
My problem isn't that it's not a Rainbow Dash movie but that it's set in an alternative universe that's kinda bland. Can't these idiots sort their problems out without Twilight? Get a little characterisation on the side while they're doing so? "Is a copy of the character you know" is not good enough for me, Brony or not.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Here, I'll just give you the summary.

And as a Canadian who has to wait 3-4 months for them to air up here, I get the annoyance with YT taking episodes down... and the ones they don't have Inane Commentary over them.
Yeah, it sucks if you don't catch the episode the first day or two. I as a Canadian share that pain.

But now I have netflix, and can rewatch the series without relying on annoying teenagers putting stupid commentary about their even dumber opinions over the dialogue. Thank jeebus.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
I still don't know what the hell it's about aside from (probably?) starring Rainbow Dash. The question is which Rainbow Dash; regular Dashy or barely-5-minutes-of-screentime-in-the-first-movie-AU-Rainbow Dash?

Since i'm already here i might as well vent a bit - the fact that they now delete MLP episodes from Youtube is quite annoying. I can't watch it "legit", it airs nowhere around here.
This website hosts all of them. Have fun.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Unfortunately for us the next pony-related thing to come out is Rainbow Rocks.

Fuuuuuck.
So...

did anyone actually watch it?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
So...

Not yet, but damn near everything I've heard about it has been positive. I might try to pick it up here soon.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Elune

I watched it. This one didn't make me need to kill myself. except the small flash sentry bit. but this one was tolerable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
So...

Nope. I may bring myself to see it eventually. From what I hear it's decent.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Maaaaan.

Finally finished this whole thread. Whatta trip.

So I've seen all the main series, read many of the comics, but haven't seen either of the Equestria Girls movies yet.

Looking forward to Season 5 & the MLP Movie (2017... *sigh*).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal
Since i'm already here i might as well vent a bit - the fact that they now delete MLP episodes from Youtube is quite annoying. I can't watch it "legit", it airs nowhere around here.
So wait, really? I was just thinking of going back and re-watching it all from the beginning with my wife, and wondering where all the 'legit' episode uploads go... Sad panda. :<

~~~

Not much to say past that. Ramses, keep on keepin' on; your little dissertations are a delight to read.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/

Last edited by Khyrberos; 11-07-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Sagara#2842

aren't they all still on the IStore for a reasonable fee?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Needs A Hug

Okay, I'll admit it.

Rainbow Rocks was actually pretty good.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 PM

Arch-Druid

I did too. Sunset was a lot more likable and I dug the contrast with adagio who's basically her from the first movie with even more heartlessness.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:12 PM

Elune

Thine positive commentary has brought me to turn my gaze upon yon 'rocks of rainbow'.

I don't think I've ever seen any teaser as efficient as the one on display here. In less than two minutes, we've established setting, timeline, villain backstory and modus operandi, and still manage to get in a bit of atmosphere. It's a great display of screenwriting.

Y'know, given that every one at school seems to be aware that Sunset Shimmer once became a demon, and the fact that the magical effects could be seen from throughout the city (which would presumably lead to them being investigated), you'd think that she'd be facing bigger problems than just angry glares from other students.

Okay, the cafetaria siren sequence is really well done. AYN RAND SIREN SQUAD COMPETITION POWERS ACTIVATE!

Okay, we don't bring the others of the mane six along because it'd be confusing if there were copies of people running around. That's a pretty dang minor inconvenience.

Someone seriously needs to call the fashion police on Canterlot High.

The great and powerful Trixie's clique is... two random girls. Y'know, I could have sworn she had different sidekicks at one point.

Unless I'm really confused, the plot makes no sense. The sirens need a source of equestrian magic, except they have sources of equestrian magic hanging from their necks already. The sirens turn the festival into a competition to create strife, except all the strife they create was caused by their magical powers, so what was even the point of turning it into a competition? The sirens need Equestrian magic to return to power, but start returning to power before they can drain the people with equestrian magic. The sirens were banished because they used their song on the pony populace, except the magic of ponies makes you immune to siren song.

...Daft Punk!Rarity. Glorious.

And another glorious siren song sequence. Loving the hell out of these villains, as is par for the course for this series.

Wait, why did the podium have a giant trap door to begin with?

Man, the sirens were lucky that tensions happened to reach their peak just as they were standing on the podium.

TRANSFORMERS! SOUND STAGES IN DISGUISE!

"Sunset Shimmer, we need you... to throw the microphone back over here!"

Overall, movie was much more enjoyable than I expected. The story has a lot of jumps and gaps, but excellent pacing, directing, music and animation make up for it.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Thine positive commentary has brought me to turn my gaze upon yon 'rocks of rainbow'.
I did get the feeling that the writers were subtly shipping Twilight and Sunset while watching it.

And Flash Sentry is still useless and universally hated.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The great and powerful Trixie's clique is... two random girls. Y'know, I could have sworn she had different sidekicks at one point.
Yeah, Pony!Trixie's minions were Snips and Snails, aka "characters I want to drown like a bag of puppies!", but presumably the human versions have seen through her shenanigans or something.

Quote:
Unless I'm really confused, the plot makes no sense. The sirens need a source of equestrian magic, except they have sources of equestrian magic hanging from their necks already. The sirens turn the festival into a competition to create strife, except all the strife they create was caused by their magical powers, so what was even the point of turning it into a competition? The sirens need Equestrian magic to return to power, but start returning to power before they can drain the people with equestrian magic. The sirens were banished because they used their song on the pony populace, except the magic of ponies makes you immune to siren song.
If I understand it properly, the magic of their necklaces was supposed to be dormant, and didn't become active again until the teaser/the end of the first movie, where Twilight and the HuMane Six used the Rainbow Hadoken and turned Demon!Sunset good. Since then, I can only assume they've been using what magic remained in their necklaces to slowly build up their power, and then once they were strong enough, turned the battle of the bands into their ideal feeding ground, since they could both feed on the strife of the competing bands (and the resentment), as well as the adoration of those who were under their power. As for why it didn't affect the Mane Cast, my guess would honestly be that it was due more to the Power of Friendship than anything. Normal ponies generally don't have a powerful connection that can block that stuff.

...but I think that's mostly my headcanon.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah, Pony!Trixie's minions were Snips and Snails, aka "characters I want to drown like a bag of puppies!", but presumably the human versions have seen through her shenanigans or something.

If I understand it properly, the magic of their necklaces was supposed to be dormant, and didn't become active again until the teaser/the end of the first movie, where Twilight and the HuMane Six used the Rainbow Hadoken and turned Demon!Sunset good. Since then, I can only assume they've been using what magic remained in their necklaces to slowly build up their power, and then once they were strong enough, turned the battle of the bands into their ideal feeding ground, since they could both feed on the strife of the competing bands (and the resentment), as well as the adoration of those who were under their power. As for why it didn't affect the Mane Cast, my guess would honestly be that it was due more to the Power of Friendship than anything. Normal ponies generally don't have a powerful connection that can block that stuff.

...but I think that's mostly my headcanon.
the human ones worked with sunset satan
Quote:
I love you.
Quote:
based neokitty
Quote:

Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

What's everyone talking about?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
If I understand it properly, the magic of their necklaces was supposed to be dormant, and didn't become active again until the teaser/the end of the first movie, where Twilight and the HuMane Six used the Rainbow Hadoken and turned Demon!Sunset good. Since then, I can only assume they've been using what magic remained in their necklaces to slowly build up their power,
We see them use the necklaces in the opening though, even before the rainbow hadoken. Presumably, they have been working for the past few hundred years.

Quote:
and then once they were strong enough, turned the battle of the bands into their ideal feeding ground, since they could both feed on the strife of the competing bands (and the resentment),
Except their power is to cause strife. The only reason the battle of the bands became as heated as it was was because they placed the enchantment in the cafeteria. I suppose it could be a combination of things, but given their nigh-unstoppable hypnotic powers, and the fact that they didn't know that the counterparts of the main six were immune until way later in the movie, I'm still not seeing the point of turning it into a competition. They could have just done their song during the festival and achieved their goal of draining equestrian magic from students, at least as far as they knew.

Quote:
as well as the adoration of those who were under their power.
They don't seem to feed on any emotion but strife.

Quote:
As for why it didn't affect the Mane Cast, my guess would honestly be that it was due more to the Power of Friendship than anything. Normal ponies generally don't have a powerful connection that can block that stuff.
Isn't all magic the power of friendship? It's in the show's title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
What's everyone talking about?
Rockstars versus Sirens - pony edition.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:59 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
We see them use the necklaces in the opening though, even before the rainbow hadoken. Presumably, they have been working for the past few hundred years.
Hmm... it might have been able to sustain them, but maybe it was the lack of equestrian magic that prevented them from using their singing to entrance others.

Quote:
Except their power is to cause strife. The only reason the battle of the bands became as heated as it was was because they placed the enchantment in the cafeteria. I suppose it could be a combination of things, but given their nigh-unstoppable hypnotic powers, and the fact that they didn't know that the counterparts of the main six were immune until way later in the movie, I'm still not seeing the point of turning it into a competition. They could have just done their song during the festival and achieved their goal of draining equestrian magic from students, at least as far as they knew.
Hmm... it could just be their nature. They wanted to cause the maximum amount of strife because that was just what they did in Equestria (and if I'm not mistaken, they were using their singing to make things even more tense as the competition went on), and the more equestrian magic they gained, the more powerful their hypnotic powers would become, and the more strife they could feed on from those under their sway.

Quote:
They don't seem to feed on any emotion but strife.
While this might be correct (I haven't watched it in a while), they did seem to also love the attention and adoration being showered on them, and it wouldn't be too out of character for sirens to want to be adored while having their worshipers fight with each other. That's also why the other bands didn't just turn on them as well; they were enraptured.

Quote:
Isn't all magic the power of friendship? It's in the show's title.
Nah, I think friendship is just a KIND of magic, albeit one that can be very powerful.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Nah, I think friendship is just a KIND of magic, albeit one that can be very powerful.
I order you people to try to figure out the lore of this show for my amusement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
I order you people to try to figure out the lore of this show for my amusement.
Ooh, a toughie.

Lessee... Fact to know no. 1 would probably be that, in the world of Equestria, nature simply doesn't work. We don't know if it's always been like that, but we do know it's been like that for centuries upon centuries. Everything from the everyday weather to the changing of the seasons to the movement of the sun and the moon needs to be done artificially. The only place where nature works like we expect it to is the Everfree Forest.

Number two is that the world is a pretty diverse place. While the series focuses primarily on the descendants of the three pony tribes that founded equestria (earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns), there's dozens of other creatures out there. Some of them are intelligent counterparts to normal earth creatures, like the zebras, donkeys, cows, horses and sea-horses. However, there's also things like dragons, gryphons and minotaurs wandering the land. And then there's truly weird beings, like bears made out of the night sky, darkness from the moon, shapeshifting hordes and a satanic baboonitaur.

Number three is that friendship is magic. It's in the title.

While from the monsters and magic thing you would expect an old-fashioned high fantasy universe, this is only partially the case. Life in equestria can be pretty modern, with skyscrapers, machinery and factories and such. The fact that most technology is based on magic does make the world a bit schizophrenic in its spread of technology however. An Old West town, a crystalline castle and a modern city are all within easy travel distance, and there appears to be no significant difference in the quality of life.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Ooh, a toughie.

... and a satanic baboonitaur.

+1 for "satanic baboonitaur". That nonsense is original. : )
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Elune

The more I think about Spike's position in society, the more weirded out I get.

Okay, so Spike is seemingly a child of unknown parentage. His egg ended up in Canterlot through unknown channels, where it was used in a test [1] in order to test young Twilight Sparkle's magical abilities for school admission [2]. After his hatching, he was placed under the care of Celestia [3], who would raise him [4] until Twilight was old enough to take over. When Twilight was old enough, Spike was assigned to be her personal assistant [5][6]. Even when Twilight moved to Ponyville, Spike remained in her personal service, taking residence in her new home [7]. Here, it is apparent he is not just Twilight's assistant in her studies, but in her general life, serving as an assistant librarian and a butler [8]. Most of his social interaction from this point onward is with Twilight's social circle[9], and with the people he meets doing jobs for Twilight [10].

[1] Really, you use the eggs of sentient beings to test the untrained magical skills of children? The accidental abortion rate on these tests must be through the roof.
[2] How common was this, exactly? Does Celestia just keep a stash of dragon eggs around in case she wants to test a promising student?
[3] Because obviously, the highest authority in the land is the one in charge of raising accidental babies.
[4] But not teach him anything about dragons, despite her evidently having enough know-how of the species to get her hands on dragon eggs.
[5] Which, given that Spike is still obviously a child at the time of the show, and that he seems to have already been Twilight's trusted assistant for a while by the time of the first episode, must have happened when he was really dang young.
[6] A duty for which one of his biological functions was magically altered so he could serve as a convenient message relay between Twilight and Celestia. Keep in mind, this happened when Twilight and Celestia were still living in the same building.
[7] Meaning he left behind all his friends so Twilight could make some friends.
[8] The workload of all these tasks combined seems to be akin to a full-time job, for which he appears to go unpaid.
[9] Despite being a close friend to most of them, and hanging out with them all the time, he doesn't actually seem to be considered part of the group.
[10] While he seems to be about as old as the CMC, he has relatively little contact with the children of Ponyville, to the point he doesn't even go to school (Though, given that he grew up under Twilight's care, it's pretty safe to assume that he's got excellent homeschooling)

What's especially interesting to me is that we never see any ponies in Spike's position. Throughout the series, we see a huge assortment of affluent ponies, from wealthy businessmen to local leaders to socialites to nobility. None of them are ever shown to have a personal assistant in a role similar to Spike.

Both Celestia and Twilight obviously care about Spike as a person, but at the same time, he often seems to be treated more as personal property. I guess historic slavery does have examples of such, but I really doubt the intention of the show is for Celestia to have implemented a system of race-based slavery, especially since we don't see any other dragon slaves.
But yet, if we were to go to Mayor Mare and ask for Spike's papers, what would they say about his official status? Is Twilight considered his legal guardian? Did Celestia make a filly adopt a baby dragon as a requirement of magical education? Or maybe it's Celestia? But in that case, the sheer control Twilight has over him is even more disconcerting. If it's neither of them, how can he be working for Twilight without pay and with hilariously meagre boarding? Is he Twilight's apprentice, a la medieval guilds? Well that can't be, because Spike can't even use magic.
Heck, maybe Equestria Girls had it right; Spike's legal status is 'Twilight's pet'.

tl;dr: Friendship is Magic is just a villain origin story for Spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
+1 for "satanic baboonitaur". That nonsense is original. : )
I'm just describing what I see .

Last edited by ijffdrie; 01-23-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 AM

Elune

and when he meets actual dragons, he cant handle it. then promptly steals an egg, and never returns peewee to his parents, despite moping for half the episode about that.
Quote:
I love you.
Quote:
based neokitty
Quote:

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
tl;dr: Friendship is Magic is just a villain origin story for Spike.
Nay, tempt me not, demon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.

Tags
bloodlust or heroism?, dragon is the best pony, heresy, internet, poor spike