Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemialibritannia View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if in 6 months Coughlin and Eli are once again on the "chopping block" to the media. It's almost like they're always the underdogs, even if they both have great qualities, and have proved it this season.
Eli has earned legendary status in NYC at this point, having beaten the Patriots TWICE in the Super Bowl. He's untouchable.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Eli has earned legendary status in NYC at this point, having beaten the Patriots TWICE in the Super Bowl. He's untouchable.
Unless his agents decide he needs more publicity.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
Unless his agents decide he needs more publicity.
Eli doesn't care. He's gonna get paid. He's gonna keep his job. And he can't play in front of a bigger audience than NYC.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Elune

Nah this is NY.

The NY media and it's fan operate on "What have you done for me lately"?

If the Giants go 7-9, or worse next year then the media and fans will be calling for heads to roll. There must always be a sacrifical lamb and people will start wondering if Coughlin is too old or somethign else.

It's just the nature of the game.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Elune

Coughlin, though, I could see being replaced if the team goes 9-7 in the regular season again. That's often a sign you need a coaching change.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:09 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
Coughlin, though, I could see being replaced if the team goes 9-7 in the regular season again. That's often a sign you need a coaching change.
I didn't say anything about Coughlin... he's entirely disposable.

But Eli? Eli is bigger than Derek Jeter now. Because even the Yankees have lost big games to the Red Sox lately.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Elune

Wasn't addressed to you. I probably shoulda quoted. Meh.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Wasn't addressed to you. I probably shoulda quoted. Meh.
I was actually agreeing with you. Coughlin could be gone, just because he's got a team that is reaching a mature state and needs less of his strict demeanor.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM

Eternal

It doesn't matter what the media says at this point about either of them. Eli is now the New York Giants since this Superbowl will actually be looked at as him winning the game compared to 07 when it was perceived as him being carried to the big dance by his defense. He's now the best QB in franchise history.

Coughlin isn't going anywhere unless he wants to retire. The Mara family is one of the most loyal group of owners you will find in sports. It would take 3-4 years of Coughlin screwing up before he is shown the door. Would he of been fired had they missed the playoffs this year? Maybe but with all of the injuries we had, they could of used that as reasoning to keep him around.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Elune

Even good coaches only have about a 10-year life with most teams before they become predictable and need a change anyway, to boot.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Even good coaches only have about a 10-year life with most teams before they become predictable and need a change anyway, to boot.
It depends really on the owners and how many years they give to their coaches after Superbowl appearances. I mean, do you think Ken Whisenhunt would still be the guy in Arizona if he didn't get his team to the 08 Superbowl?

Mike Tomlin has had relative success in Pittsburgh and the Rooney family is similar to the Mara's. He might be there another 7-10 years.

It's hard to measure really how long a Superbowl victory or appearance adds to your time on a team.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
It doesn't matter what the media says at this point about either of them. Eli is now the New York Giants since this Superbowl will actually be looked at as him winning the game compared to 07 when it was perceived as him being carried to the big dance by his defense. He's now the best QB in franchise history.

Coughlin isn't going anywhere unless he wants to retire. The Mara family is one of the most loyal group of owners you will find in sports. It would take 3-4 years of Coughlin screwing up before he is shown the door. Would he of been fired had they missed the playoffs this year? Maybe but with all of the injuries we had, they could of used that as reasoning to keep him around.
You're right about Eli, but I could see Coughlin being asked to step aside if he loses the roster.

He may not lose the roster. In that case, the Mara loyalty will sustain him in spite of any media scrutiny.