Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 10:18 PM

Elune

Default What is Your Favorite Race and Why?

What is your favorite race and why? Title says it all.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 PM

Warden

Naga.

I was first introduced to the Warcraft franchise through Reign of Chaos and deeply enjoyed the setting. Though most of its elements are borrowed from older fantasy sources, the particular amalgamation of standard tropes was meshed together in an interesting way; for me, it was the first time I had ever seen monsters in a fictional setting be something besides monstrous. Orcs are the most obvious example, but the same can be said of Tauren and even Trolls, as many of their more unsavory habits were glossed over.

None of the races really clicked with me though. I wasn't particularly fond of Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, or the Scourge. Humans were just plain boring, Dwarves were exceedingly one-dimensional, and elves, while different, failed to spark any real interest. Then Frozen Throne came out and suddenly these scaly, serpent-like sea monsters were wrecking up the place.

The Naga were something I had never seen before, and I was absolutely fascinated by their design. Then came the reveal they had actually been elves, the elegant, immortal beings of ancient power; I was floored. I thought it was completely awesome that elves had been cursed into these monstrous creatures and seemed to actually embrace their transformation.

Their customs and disposition contrasted beautifully with the Night elves, who seek to understand and cooperate with the world, whereas Naga seemed to actively dominate it. With their employment of nature magic through unnatural means and outright enslaving Murlocs marked them as a pragmatic, if morally dubious, faction. They weren't out fighting for world peace or new allies, but for their own glory.

If Night elves were the Greeks of ancient Azeroth then the Naga are the Roman Empire, which in my mind is the coolest thing.

Also, I love the sea, so the Naga are essentially all of my favorite things wrapped up into one cool race.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Dwarves I guess.

Only race that Blizzard hasn't taken a gigantic monkey shit on.

Humans and Blood Elves come as a second.

As far as NPC races go I like Furbolg.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 06-24-2015 at 11:05 PM..
Old 06-24-2015, 11:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Naga.

I was first introduced to the Warcraft franchise through Reign of Chaos and deeply enjoyed the setting. Though most of its elements are borrowed from older fantasy sources, the particular amalgamation of standard tropes was meshed together in an interesting way; for me, it was the first time I had ever seen monsters in a fictional setting be something besides monstrous. Orcs are the most obvious example, but the same can be said of Tauren and even Trolls, as many of their more unsavory habits were glossed over.

None of the races really clicked with me though. I wasn't particularly fond of Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, or the Scourge. Humans were just plain boring, Dwarves were exceedingly one-dimensional, and elves, while different, failed to spark any real interest. Then Frozen Throne came out and suddenly these scaly, serpent-like sea monsters were wrecking up the place.

The Naga were something I had never seen before, and I was absolutely fascinated by their design. Then came the reveal they had actually been elves, the elegant, immortal beings of ancient power; I was floored. I thought it was completely awesome that elves had been cursed into these monstrous creatures and seemed to actually embrace their transformation.

Their customs and disposition contrasted beautifully with the Night elves, who seek to understand and cooperate with the world, whereas Naga seemed to actively dominate it. With their employment of nature magic through unnatural means and outright enslaving Murlocs marked them as a pragmatic, if morally dubious, faction. They weren't out fighting for world peace or new allies, but for their own glory.

If Night elves were the Greeks of ancient Azeroth then the Naga are the Roman Empire, which in my mind is the coolest thing.

Also, I love the sea, so the Naga are essentially all of my favorite things wrapped up into one cool race.
Good post.

Last edited by Frostwolf; 07-30-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I'll go into more detail.

I love Dwarves because they feel so unique in Warcraft from Dwarves in other fantasy settings. Even the Bronzebeard Dwarves have some traits that I personally think are pretty unique to them. I like that they have so many specialties without seeming overpowered as a race. They're very good industrialists, hardened powerful warriors, archaeologists, Dark Irons give them a strong magical bent, Wildhammers connect them more with nature and savagery, and their Titan origins are just metal as fuck. The first character I ever rolled in vanilla Warcraft and leveled to max was a Dwarf Warrior and I currently play 4 Dwarf characters right now. (Warrior, Warlock, Hunter, and Shaman.)

Ironforge is my favorite capital city and I still remember being awestruck when I first saw that giant statue of High King Modimus Anvilmar. It probably helps that I first played Warcraft when it was still Winter Veil, a Dwarven historical holiday. I generally highly enjoyed questing in all of the Dwarf lands even though vanilla questing was all over the place during that time.

Dwarves also just boast the most likable characters to me. I love Muradin, and I remember how cool I thought Mountain Kings looked when I decided to play WC3. I also really like Kurdran and Falstad, I like Moira, I like Brann, and I even lament Magni's death to this day. I sometimes wish for there to be an expansion where Dwarves are the central focus but at the same time I'm very happy with where they are right now.

So overall, as far as races go Dwarves have been the most consistently enjoyable to me.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Orcs because they are pretty much the batman of warcraft
Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I can't really say that I have a favourite race. I got into Warcraft with Warcraft III and the Alliance, Night Elf and Naga factions were my favourites, so I'm slightly Alliance leaning, despite mostly playing Horde characters, but if I have to compare races instead of factions, I can't really pick a (permanent) favourite. Whether I like a race more than others mostly depends on the architecture*, looks and, most of all, on the current patch and my mood. That's also why my main always changes race for race-centric patches, if I don't have another character of that race.

*Trolls and Forsaken are getting architecture points, and night elves and naga are losing them. Pandaren and Gilneans got a fantastic start, and the old Alliance races (including blood elves) have always been in a good place.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:36 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I'll go into more detail.

I love Dwarves because they feel so unique in Warcraft from Dwarves in other fantasy settings. Even the Bronzebeard Dwarves have some traits that I personally think are pretty unique to them. I like that they have so many specialties without seeming overpowered as a race. They're very good industrialists, hardened powerful warriors, archaeologists, Dark Irons give them a strong magical bent, Wildhammers connect them more with nature and savagery, and their Titan origins are just metal as fuck. The first character I ever rolled in vanilla Warcraft and leveled to max was a Dwarf Warrior and I currently play 4 Dwarf characters right now. (Warrior, Warlock, Hunter, and Shaman.)

Ironforge is my favorite capital city and I still remember being awestruck when I first saw that giant statue of High King Modimus Anvilmar. It probably helps that I first played Warcraft when it was still Winter Veil, a Dwarven historical holiday. I generally highly enjoyed questing in all of the Dwarf lands even though vanilla questing was all over the place during that time.

Dwarves also just boast the most likable characters to me. I love Muradin, and I remember how cool I thought Mountain Kings looked when I decided to play WC3. I also really like Kurdran and Falstad, I like Moira, I like Brann, and I even lament Magni's death to this day. I sometimes wish for there to be an expansion where Dwarves are the central focus but at the same time I'm very happy with where they are right now.

So overall, as far as races go Dwarves have been the most consistently enjoyable to me.
While I do agree with pretty much all of that, and WarCraft Dwarves are certainly one of my favourite Fantasy Races, I'll actually have to say mine is probably the Tauren, just edging the Trolls.

Other Fantasy settings/IPs have done Minotaurs, some better than others, but the Tauren are (to my knowledge) a pretty unique take on the classic Minotaur. I love the look of the Race and their culture, the Native-American-esque culture works really well with these giant, and yet ultimately gentle, creatures.

Once, Trolls would of been my number one choice but I really lost a lot of my passion for their Lore with Shadows of the Horde. Meh.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:09 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Dwarves are pretty awesome, and they received some nice additions to lore post Reign of Chaos that pushed them away from the typical beer-guzzling, hammer-toting, Scottish-spewing, murder-barrels (though they still have those things). Personally, I find the War of Three Hammers more interesting than any historical event, primarily because it was a dwarf conflict fought by dwarves in dwarven territory whose effects linger to the present day.

For the most part, dwarves follow the standard tropes set forth by mythology and emphasized by Tolkien, but deviate enough to stand apart from a race of stereotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
*Trolls and Forsaken are getting architecture points, and night elves and naga are losing them. Pandaren and Gilneans got a fantastic start, and the old Alliance races (including blood elves) have always been in a good place.
Night elves have been rather shafted in the architecture department, mostly because they lack any coherent style. But if naga follow the Roman/Atlantean vibe they give off, imagine if they received the same level of attention draenei did in Warlords of Draenor. I want to see a naga Ara Pacis, Pantheon, and Roman Forum.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 PM

World Builder

Mogu.

Fleshshaping magic.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-27-2015, 01:29 AM

Problemsolver

Asians.

Because they manufacture basically everything I make use of in my daily life. And also because they're walking calculators, and that's extremely useful.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:46 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

High elves and Draenei. I'll probably write more tomorrow when i wait at the airport.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 06-27-2015, 03:58 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Blood elves, they've developed and moved on from TBC while also keeping some consistent themes. They've not really been fucked over by Blizzard, either.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 06-27-2015, 04:20 AM

Elune

I don't have one.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Blood elves, they've developed and moved on from TBC while also keeping some consistent themes. They've not really been fucked over by Blizzard, either.
Great big kek.

Well... Technically you're right. The High Elves were the ones who were fucked over. The Blood Elves are the product of said upfucking.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:13 AM

Critter

I would say that the night elves are my favorite.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Night Elves of course. Duh.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
Night Elves of course. Duh.
But why?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
But why?
If Warcraft III is any indication. Then that would be the answer.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DeadHank#1975

Orc Icon (War3)

Definetely Orcs. I have some sort of retarded love for the race as an idea. I mean, there is some INSANELY poorly-written stuff about them, but the whole clan-based community is amazing.

In my head, Horde orcs should be a mix between WoD ones (pre Gul'dan, with Garrosh tech but less retarded) and a more shamanistic-centered race. I loved a lot of stuff from WoD tho, like Laughing Skull and shit.

For some reason I have a serious problem with Legion lore on orcs. I just hate it in my gut, judge me. haha

For NPC/general lore I'd probably say Zandalari Trolls. I'm one of the few persons I know that don't mind troll lore EVERY SINGLE EXPANSION (besides WoD I guess). Wouldn't mind some Rastakhan in-game one of these days. Zul was really involved in ToT so Rastakhan is probably close (I'm not sure if he was confirmed dead with the Cataclysm).

Mogu are amazing as well. Lei Shen is one of my favorite bosses in the game and Throne of Thunder is probably my favorite raid ever (not necessarily lore-wise).

Last edited by Kromash; 07-31-2015 at 03:57 PM..
Old 07-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Glaive Thrower
BattleTag: Avaruu#1227

Draenei.

WoW was my first Warcraft game but I loved those poor little draenei and the idea of Draenor/Outland well before BC became a thing. I don't really know what charmed me so much about them other than they were really mysterious, pathetic and lost from their strange world, and that quest where you used a Flawless Draenethyst Sphere to open up a portal so the draenei could go back to Draenor.

As much as I love those little Lost Ones, I think BC did a huge improvement for the race. I like the sci-fi genre and aliens/alien worlds a lot more than I do fantasy, and so the draenei with all their cool technology and ultra-otherworldly origins (and hooves and tails because I love beast races) are totally up my alley.

I think that WoD did a good thing for draenei, but Blizzard forgot the ~24,750ish span of time between Argus and Draenor, which includes the massive amount of draenei that would have the Genedar or another world as their birthplace. Also AU Draenor was really robbed of that weird mysterious alien feel and so I don't really like it half as much as I do Outland.

So yeah draenei.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:25 AM

The Sun King

Orcs have always been the charismatic, bestial, green face of the franchise for me. No amount of bad writing will ever change that.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Orcs have always been the charismatic, bestial, green face of the franchise for me. No amount of bad writing will ever change that.
Same
Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Worgen because aesthetics, and what little story they have is great.

Tags
duplicate thread, races