Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Default To Boldly Go....

Alright, since a number of us have expressed support for Kakwakas' desire for a Star Trek thread and we all seem to be procrastinating lets get it started here.

I'll open up with a perhaps controversial opinion: ST:Enterprise was not that bad, it had the usual growing pains during the first couple of seasons, the temporal cold war was interesting and appeared to be finally hitting its stride in season four. The Mirrorverse episodes remain among my favourites, but I'd like to pretend the final episode with Troy and Riker never happened.

Discuss?
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 02-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I tried reviving the old thread with the new DIS teaser.

Your ENT opinion is actually getting to be the mainstream now. It's kind of sad how much hate that show got when it was out; Everyone knows a good Trek has to grow its beard.

On another note, I'm already more than half way through TNG S3 in the Trekoning. Things start to bog down a lot during S4 when I have to start mixing in DS9...
And I've already gotten my (new) STO character up to like level 45. The binge is running hard.
Member #14
Old 02-01-2017, 06:41 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Early TNG was definitely hit or miss for me. I particularly loathed "The Neutral Zone".

Also the Ferengi portrayed as carnivorous in Encounter at Far Point. I think they were originally meant to be the big bad alien threat, but fortunately someone realized they look ridiculous and they were gradually re-written to be the space faring goblin cartel we know and love today.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 02-01-2017, 06:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
Early TNG was definitely hit or miss for me. I particularly loathed "The Neutral Zone".

Also the Ferengi portrayed as carnivorous in Encounter at Far Point. I think they were originally meant to be the big bad alien threat, but fortunately someone realized they look ridiculous and they were gradually re-written to be the space faring goblin cartel we know and love today.
Big bad alien threat with canonical favorite sexual positions, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert J Wright
He wanted to put a gigantic codpiece on the Ferengi, He spent 25 minutes explaining to me all the sexual positions the Ferengi could go through. I finally said, 'Gene, this is a family show, on at 7:00 on Saturdays. He finally said, 'Okay, you're right.'
Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Elune

Hell, by the end of S1 they were already starting to move towards what they became.
I think the more I watch the early seasons of TNG, the more I come to appreciate them. You can definitely feel a lot more Roddenberry influence for the episodes during which he was still alive.

Also loooool at Roddenberry's Ferengi sex.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 02-01-2017 at 06:53 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Any of you check out SFdebris? His reviews are amusing (particularly his opinions on Voyager, particularly Janeway) and he offers valid criticism of the Prime Directive.

Charles James Napier

Last edited by Arbourean; 02-01-2017 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 PM

Elune

I pray at the altar of the great Chuck Sonnenburg, holy be His name.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I tried reviving the old thread with the new DIS teaser.
I was about to complain about that, yes - we already have a Star Trek Thread. Then again nobody on the mod team seems to give a shit about forum rules so i'll happily contribute to this one. Once. There isn't too much positive i can say about ST right now.

No, Enterprise really was that bad. It didn't get godawful until Season 3 (Dear Doctor notwithstanding), or, as i'd like to call it, "We're trying to appeal to 'Murica by justifying the mah Worrr on Terrrrorr, mind you; Season 1 and Season 2 were undeniably Star Trek, just really, really boring Star Trek at best and rehashes of already existing stories at worst. Having to grow the beard isn't a valid excuse - i know it's a thing but DS9 was, while boring, put together very well from the start, and practically no show gets three years time just to MAYBE get better. Frankly Enterprise was lucky to get ONE good season out of it, and as good as Season 4 was, Enterprise didn't really deserve it. Rightfully it should have been cancelled after Season 1. What other franchise gets special treatment to fuck around aimlessly for three years before becoming anything remotely watchable?

As for the STD Teaser: i'm waiting for the Trekyards boys to analize the set blueprints and screenshots but i took the liberty to take three pics of the Discovery, the second ship (which i assume to be the Shenzhou) and what appears to be some variation of the new uniforms:

Now, Captain Foley and Commander Cockings insist that this is NOT the final design and CBS is merely trying to hide the redesigned Discovery for maximum PR effect. While the ship's design isn't going to make or break the show's quality BY ITSELF the fact that they initially thought this thing was a good idea is deeply, deeply worrying and i eagerly await a new design for it. Cause this shit's whack, yo. I'm also not impressed with the idea of giving them cookie points for MAYBE changing it while not showing the new design off in the teaser. If they don't want to be flamed for a shitty design they should put the allegedly better new design in. Like this:

I believe this to be the Shenzhou, Michelle Yeo's ship. Following the NX-program's naming conventions the Shenzhou seems to have been named after the first manned chinese spaceship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhou_(spacecraft)
The ship's design seems to be a marriage of the NX Class (identifyable by the thick superstructure on the Primary Hull, the deflector-cutout, the suggested small size and the time frame) and the Centaur Class (simply from looking at it: small Saucer with tiny Secondary Hull hanging underneath connected to long backwards portruding Nacelles via backwards-swepped Pylons). It's also apparently a throwback to a ship the designer did for a fangroup earlier... a 24th century ship, that is, which is my only gripe with this design. STD takes place ten years before TOS and yet here we have a ship that looks about as modern as the four First Contact ships. Frankly if it wasn't for the deflector having two thingies sticking out like on the NX-02 Columbia (which i didn't even notice until Trekyards pointed it out) i'd be convinced it was a time-displaced ship... or the designers flatout didn't give a shit.
Mind you - it still kinda works if you see STD less as a prequel to TOS and rather more like a Sequel to Enterprise. This class would fit like a glove into Earth Starfleet's ship design as a younger sister of the NX. In fact i expect the Shenzhou to be a pretty old ship by the time STD rolls around.

Lastly there is this screenshot of a uniform.
The gold trimming and the line down the center make me think that this is NOT the standard garb but gala uniforms; compare and contrast to the ones worn during TOS:

I enjoy the slightly altered Starfleet insignia - it's obviously fishing for recognizability by using Enterprise's arrowhead but still pays lipservice to the "every ship gets it's own sign"-system used during TOS by now offering that little black seperated portion to the right. Worryingly, though... that's an engineering symbol on the insignia. Why's it on a blue Science Department uniform? Are they taking queues from the Kelvin Timeline here?

Other than being terribly transparent for WHY that is i don't particularly mind the use of the arrowhead. It wasn't 100 percent consistent during TOS anyway and at least one other ship used a variation of the arrowhead during TOS as well. I'll likely take offense should the Shenzhou have the same or another arrowhead-variation, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I pray at the altar of the great Chuck Sonnenburg, holy be His name.
Chuck is indeed best girl.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Then the mods can delete this thread and transfer your deliberately and obnoxiously oversized images to that thread.
Charles James Napier
Old 02-01-2017, 10:23 PM

Elune

So STO has a super good custom race creator. Here's my attempt at a half-Romulan, half-Klingon.

Goddamn I look good.

As for why there's an ops/engineering logo on a blue uniform, keep in mind that this is still pre-TOS. ENT's uniforms were fancy blue flight suits. There's bound to be some red on it somewhere.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 02-01-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
Then the mods can delete this thread and transfer your deliberately and obnoxiously oversized images to that thread.
I will find bigger versions just for you, then.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 PM

Elune

I still say the new ship is ugly, though. Even that Miranda-like ship from the trailer that you posted looks better, IMO.
Member #14

Tags
boldly coming, duplicate thread, get it?, star wars