Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like JJ Trek?
Yes 19 82.61%
No 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Eternal

Default Your Opinion on JJ Abrams Rebooted Star Trek?

I have observed that the reboot Trek movies have quite a divided reaction from fans of Star Trek. So I am wondering about this forum's opinion on the movies.

I personally don't dislike the new Trek movies. They are good, not extremely good but not that bad either. I prefer the Prime Timeline stuff(especially TOS movies and TNG tv; Still have to see DS9), but I still enjoyed watching the newer movies.

Please don't whine; Criticism is welcomed, but whining is not. If you dislike the reboot, then criticise it, but in a logical and unbiased manner.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

I didn't really like the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie, but I thought the second one was decent. Star Trek's films have always been primarily about spectaclethe thoughtfulness is reserved for the better episodes of the TV seriesso I don't think Abrams' style is a poor match.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Banished

Not a ST fan, I think the movies are fine, especially the 2nd one is a good blockbuster movie in IMAX.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Problemsolver

I've only seen Star Trek: Into Darkness or whatever it's called, and I guess it was pretty cool. Nothing spectacular or mindblowing.

Never been a big fan of Star Trek, though.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Elune

I like both of the movies, though the second one went stupendously stupid with recycling and resurrection. I actually enjoy that the movies give a lot more focus and development for the federation, which always felt like this gigantic black hole of 'we don't really know' in most series (voyager being the worst offender, and deep space nine the least severe)

Author of the Pink Engine.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I liked it, but then again my favorite Stars Wars movie was Episode 3 so it could be because I like flashy shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I like the new Trek movies.

Then again, I'm sane enough to see the old ones (both the Original and TNG movies) and realize how bad they were in terms of production quality and/or story.

Honestly, JJ has stuck to what works in Star Trek films - the only good ones have:

1. Time Travel

2. Khan

You could make a case for "The Undiscovered Country" but it's a weak one. Of the original timeline films, the best were:

1. Wrath of Khan
2. First Contact
3. The Voyage Home
|
|
|
4. The Undiscovered Country
|
|
|
5. Generations

The rest of them were complete and utter shit. And four out of five of these had either Khan or some sort of time travel.

So, hate on them all you want, but they stick to the winning formula, and they have enough of the old 60's vibe to keep it pretty real.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 AM

Eternal

I have to disagree on a few things- I personally feel that Star Trek 6 was better than Voyage Home, and Star Trek 3 was a good movie. Generations was average, and so was TMP. TFF sucked a lot.

I also feel that TOS-era movies were quite good, with the exception of the first and the fifth. The rest, were, imo, better than JJ's reboot, with the exception of Search for Spock, but that was better than Into Darkness, both being good movies.

I haven't seen the other TNG movies yet. Finishing of TNG Season 7 soon, and then I will watch DS9 and the remaining TNG movies. My brother wanted to see Generations, so I watched it before the last few episodes of TNG.

JJ is a good director, but I don't like the character butchery he has done in the reboot. New Kirk is completely horrible and incompetent, although Chris Pine is a good actor. Prime Kirk was a much better character, and contrary to what some believe, he wasn't a playboy. He was a romantic, but not someone into casual flings and all that.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 AM

World Builder

Runes

They're okay movies, not great but decent.

Prefer the first to the second since it made some questionable casting / story decisions.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
I have to disagree on a few things- I personally feel that Star Trek 6 was better than Voyage Home, and Star Trek 3 was a good movie. Generations was average, and so was TMP. TFF sucked a lot.
I actually don't think Generations was very good. However, when you compare it with the total number of pre-Abrams Star Trek movies, it ends up coming across relatively favorably (which says more about the franchise's films than it does about Generations' qualities).

Star Trek 3 was just average, in my opinion. I'd rank it maybe a smidgen higher than Generations.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I actually don't think Generations was very good. However, when you compare it with the total number of pre-Abrams Star Trek movies, it ends up coming across relatively favorably (which says more about the franchise's films than it does about Generations' qualities).

Star Trek 3 was just average, in my opinion. I'd rank it maybe a smidgen higher than Generations.
I kinda disagree. Star Trek 3 is a good movie, imo. It had good acting and good characterization, and the only problems with the movie were the low budget special effects.

Into Darkness was meh. That's why I rate 3 higher than it.

Generations was not good, but it was not bad either. Kirk's death was possibly the worst I have ever seen in any form of fiction.

I also disagree on Trek's movies being average. TNG's movies were not that good, but TOS ones were. Although all of the TOS movies were low-budget(besides the first), they were excellent movies(besides 1 and 5) and extremely similar to TOS. The TNG ones seemed to care more about action and spectacle. JJ's first one was very good.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-04-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Not a fan of ST like I wasn't of Batman, but I find both reboots much more better than the originals. Not going into deep lore and canon, of course, no idea if there's contradictions there.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Elune

Still waiting for a Batman option.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Still waiting for a Batman option.
It is desperately needed. Or at least a "I just wanted to vote" option.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Elune

I liked them as movies. I think they would want to try a different take on the universe if they were to return to TV, but trying to do straight adaptations from one to the other gets us shit like Star Trek TMP. My favorite part is how angry they make neckbearders, though.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Eternal

I don't really care about Star Trek, and I thought the movies were fine.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I liked them as movies. I think they would want to try a different take on the universe if they were to return to TV, but trying to do straight adaptations from one to the other gets us shit like Star Trek TMP. My favorite part is how angry they make neckbearders, though.
To be honest, I find them overall to be very good sci-fi movies, but okayish Star Trek ones. An uncle of mine hates them, though, criticising them and the TNG movies for not having the philosophy of the TV shows and most of the TOS movies.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
To be honest, I find them overall to be very good sci-fi movies, but okayish Star Trek ones. An uncle of mine hates them, though, criticising them and the TNG movies for not having the philosophy of the TV shows and most of the TOS movies.
I don't think the TOS movies were particularly philosophical, but I will say that none of the movies is as thought-provoking as the best of the episodes.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:04 AM

Eternal

They are much more philosophical than JJ's movies. In fact, I'd argue that TMP was too much philosophical. No wonder people didn't like it.

The thing with the TOS movies was, they didn't feel like extended two-hour episodes. TNG ones were essentially extended episodes, from what fans on other forums tell me. Tos movies on the other hand felt like movies, not over stretched episodes.

I feel that Wrath of Khan is the pinnacle of Star Trek in any media, and one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-06-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
They are much more philosophical than JJ's movies. In fact, I'd argue that TMP was too much philosophical. No wonder people didn't like it.

The thing with the TOS movies was, they didn't feel like extended two-hour episodes. TNG ones were essentially extended episodes, from what fans on other forums tell me. They felt like well-made movies.
This is pretty much why I LOVED First Contact. I came in to Trek with TNG and DS9. And that is exactly what FC felt like.

It was a well casted, well produced long episode.

When the internet came around and the clamor came widespread for a TV show to become a movie. What they really wanted, was a well done two hour episdoe to watch. Which is why series premiers/finales are done with such high production rates that we see now. They want a movie.

First Contact delivered on that.

Last edited by Ardeiute; 12-06-2013 at 03:47 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeiute View Post
This is pretty much why I LOVED First Contact. I came in to Trek with TNG and DS9. And that is exactly what FC felt like.

It was a well casted, well produced long episode.

When the internet came around and the clamor came widespread for a TV show to become a movie. What they really wanted, was a well done two hour episdoe to watch. Which is why series premiers/finales are done with such high production rates that we see now. They want a movie.

First Contact delivered on that.
Ahem, what I meant was, I was criticising TNG movies for being like overly long episodes not movies. I said that most of the TOS movies were well made because they actually felt like movies and stood on their own.
Tng was an excellent show. The movies were rather meh though imo..

And I find one thing funny- First Contact was the best TNg movie imo because it actually felt like a movie not a tv episode. Generations on the other hand felt like somebody had simply over strectched an episode. Generations would have been a lot better if it had the feel of a movie and if Kirk wasnt killed like that.

Last edited by CoDimus the Staunch; 12-06-2013 at 05:49 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 11:02 AM

Elune

Quote:

The thing with the TOS movies was, they didn't feel like extended two-hour episodes. TNG ones were essentially extended episodes, from what fans on other forums tell me. Tos movies on the other hand felt like movies, not over stretched episodes.

I feel that Wrath of Khan is the pinnacle of Star Trek in any media, and one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.
It's funny you should say that, because TMP is literally a reworked script for a proposed second TOS show. That's why it's shitty in that way that early TNG is shitty, where Roddenberry forgot that it was the characters that really made TOS work.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
It's funny you should say that, because TMP is literally a reworked script for a proposed second TOS show. That's why it's shitty in that way that early TNG is shitty, where Roddenberry forgot that it was the characters that really made TOS work.
Yeah, TMP was really quite awful. I don't remember it being particularly intelligent either, though smart or not, if you have to spend that much time showing the Enterprise going through space, you're probably doing something wrong.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
The plot also copied the TOS Episode 'The Changeling'.

But one can't deny that philosophy was a major part of the movie. Philosophy does not always improve the quality of sci-fi(take Trouble with Tribbles, which wasn't philosophical at all).

But TOS movies like Star Trek 2, 3 and 6 were very much full of philosophical stuff like the themes of ageing, death, rebirth, etc. In fact, 3 relied completely on the theme of death and rebirth.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
The plot also copied the TOS Episode 'The Changeling'.

But one can't deny that philosophy was a major part of the movie. Philosophy does not always improve the quality of sci-fi(take Trouble with Tribbles, which wasn't philosophical at all).

But TOS movies like Star Trek 2, 3 and 6 were very much full of philosophical stuff like the themes of ageing, death, rebirth, etc. In fact, 3 relied completely on the theme of death and rebirth.
The thing that makes TWoK work as opposed to, say, TMP or ST5 or first season TNG is that the philosophical elements of the movie exist in service to the characters of Kirk and company, as opposed to TMP where discussing freshman-level philosophy is the most important thing in the movie. TWoK is a movie where Kirk faces mortality and such, but these things happen because of other events with the character, as opposed to ST5, which is transparently "a movie where Kirk and Spock go and talk about god stuff." They might as well have gone with the Platonic dialogue where Kirk walks up to Spock's brother and says "Let us talk about space god."

Tags
best sci-fi franchise, movies, star trek, star wars