Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Icefrost Icefrost is offline

Chimaera
Icefrost's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 273

Blue Tome Druid of the Blade [Completed fanfiction - WiP on Youtube]

Hello, Scrolls of Lore.

I have some warcraft fanfiction of my own to share with you. It is a story I already completed a while ago, but since I recently began to publish it in a different format and place, namely audio-and-captions on youtube, I thought I'd try and spread the word again.

All 75 chapters of the original, completed text are available to read on both FanFiction net and Archive of Our Own. (I'll leave you to look for that one as I don't want to spam too many links.)

Why not just post the whole thing here, I hear you asking? Because it's a fair bit of work just to copy and paste everything over due to length, and since I'm new here, I'm frankly not entirely sure if all the content(graphic violence and some horror-ish snippets, NOT explicit sexual content. Just for the record.) in there is within the rules of this site. Might well be, but I'd rather not chance it since, you guessed it, the nasty stuff is toward the end of the story. Which means a lot of stuff going up before I find out.
Please note that I am in no way opposed to posting it here, should someone bother to screen it and give me the okay. Or something like that.

Oh, and here's the main event I wanted to show you:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rd5euULw2Pfo9h

Please note that the youtube version, unlike the written text, is still a work in progress. I'm also taking ideas on how to improve the presentation, though I'm starting to be mostly set on it.

Last edited by Icefrost; 05-09-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM
DarkAngel DarkAngel is offline

Priestess of the Moon
DarkAngel's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 568
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Default

Well, fancy seeing you here. Yes, I know about your "kitten" and her star-crossed love. I actually started reading it when you made the first post back on IncGamers. The execution was a little clumsy as times, but it was VERY well-conceived. Good enough, in fact, that I remembered it and ran a search for it one day years later. You had written much more by then -- almost done. Over the ensuing months, I kept checking FanFiction.net until the ending was up. It cycled so perfectly back into the beginning that I resolved to drop a wink and a nod into A Brave New World (of WarCraft), so be on the lookout if I ever get time to update it again.

I will look at your new project, but it may be some time before I come up with any advice. Between looking for a job, trying to write an original novel, and having an organizational disability, there isn't much time for that sort of thing.

Just one request: please try to restrain the hostile negativity. We have enough of that around here already.
__________________
Every ending is but a new beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Icefrost Icefrost is offline

Chimaera
Icefrost's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 273

Default

I'm glad to see that someone from amongst the original audience to the story has found it again. Though, for all I know, there may well be others. Still, it's nice to hear from one.
I'm also glad to hear you liked it. I remember getting a fair few positive comments on the early part of the story, for staying on-topic and handling it patiently, or something along those lines. So I kinda thought I might be catching a bit of flak from the stabbing onwards, and especially after loch modan, for kind of letting things slide off the original course(which they weren't, but I can see why it might look that way) due to the narrating character's interests shifting to things she finds along the way - that one thing in particular. But I take it from your cycling back comment that neither that, nor my cyclic, back-referencing style that I consciously exercise because I personally like it, were bothering you much.


As for my conduct around here, I will admit to being pretty negative, but the thing is, I don't really have a lot of nice things left to say about the main subject matter of the boards that I've been on here. Kinda counting on someone else to say the nicer things, I guess. I've also spoken pretty bluntly, because where I'm from, we kinda believe in doing either that or sitting down and shutting up.

Not that I'm trying to make any excuses here, because we don't really believe in those, either. In any case, you can rest assured that the only people I am in any way actually trying to potentially offend are the creative directors of a company we all know.

So while I've not broken any rules as far as I know, I can certainly understand that it can get tiresome and requiring of, dare I say, a little patience to deal with a poster like me, so I guess I should try to post less in general. Thanks for the heads up on that. Honestly didn't realize that I'd be noticed in much any way at all.

Last edited by Icefrost; 05-08-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 AM
DarkAngel DarkAngel is offline

Priestess of the Moon
DarkAngel's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 568
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Thumbs up

So, I promised I was going write a review of the audio project. As usual, it came out as a big ball of negativity. Please don't take offense.

EDIT: I can't believe I remembered how to spell Cailea's name after all this time!

First, you have a most fascinating accent. I'd always expected a Finn to sound much like a Swede, i.e. like a peculiar German variant (Nordic cross and all that). There's something surprisingly Celtic about the way you speak, such that there are times when you sound vaguely Scottish! (Or perhaps Welsh, though we Americans rarely get to hear that one.) However, I should not digress over linguistics.

Don't worry about the timeline. As long as you specify the story is taking place in year 25, people should understand there won't be any open-race death knights or Gilnean Worgen. Heck, my flagship story is still a quarter of the way through year 27 (and intended to end there). The attack on Auberdine is simply a non-canon event that happened just far enough in the past for Cailea to grow up.

Speaking of which, you chose not to use the RPG aging guide. At one time, that bothered me. I had chosen to follow the stages in my own story, which came back to bite me when the books were abrogated. It turns out you made the right call. What makes this choice even more interesting is that one of the characters is a techno-mage, something that exists only in the RPG. What?

In the end, every story ends up happening in its own universe. This is true even if two stories are official to the same franchise, and sometimes even the same author. No two writers on this forum -- or any other -- imagine the WarCraft universe the same way. I would extend this even to the nerd-gods in Irvine. Anyone who has read a Knaak book *cough*

I do wonder if there isn't someone on DeviantArt who would love to storyboard this for you -- even for free. The problem is how to find them...

Now, to the actual product itself. Reading a story out loud is as much an art as writing one. You seem to have it. I don't know how many reasonably good authors I've heard fumble when asked to read their work to the group. The key is the pauses. You're putting them in the right places; they're just...too big. You want to give time for things to sink in, but not enough to start thinking about something else. It could also just be that the ingrained cadences of our respective languages are different.

However, the true great readers recognize there's another layer of meaning at work. When you read a story out loud, you're not just converting a sequence of letters into speech. You are a voice actor, and you have to voice every character. In this opening passage, Cailea is despondent. If not for that baby (which we don't even know is there until the very end), she'd probably be suicidal.

EDIT: I wrote a whole paragraph trashing your delivery of the opening lines; but the more I think about it, the more I find it acceptable. It's more a subjective question of taste. I would've used a flat tone of voice to suggest the emotional numbness she feels, allowing a few excursions into exasperation and ironic amusement at her own condition. I speak as someone who's genuinely "been there."

Just remember that first-person perspective doesn't allow you to use a "generic narrator voice." This is doubly true during expositions.

In all, I like it. While I personally will always prefer to hear my own voice when I read, the job you've done is more than adequate. There might be only a few views now, but that will change. Trust me.

As for forum conduct, don't worry about it. Passionate argument is a good thing. I just bothers me when it's hard to find a non-QQ thread.
__________________
Every ending is but a new beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Icefrost Icefrost is offline

Chimaera
Icefrost's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 273

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
So, I promised I was going write a review of the audio project. As usual, it came out as a big ball of negativity. Please don't take offense.
Doesn't seem that negative to me. I'm all for honest criticism anyway. It's harder to come across than one might think, I find.

Quote:
First, you have a most fascinating accent. I'd always expected a Finn to sound much like a Swede, i.e. like a peculiar German variant (Nordic cross and all that). There's something surprisingly Celtic about the way you speak, such that there are times when you sound vaguely Scottish! (Or perhaps Welsh, though we Americans rarely get to hear that one.) However, I should not digress over linguistics.
And here I was, half expecting to get told off for having one of them 'fake-british' accents or something. I've been told before that I don't exactly sound like the average finnish athlete giving an interview in english.

Quote:
Don't worry about the timeline. As long as you specify the story is taking place in year 25, people should understand there won't be any open-race death knights or Gilnean Worgen. Heck, my flagship story is still a quarter of the way through year 27 (and intended to end there). The attack on Auberdine is simply a non-canon event that happened just far enough in the past for Cailea to grow up.
Just trying to avoid potential confusion and disappointment over some fairly likely expectations people may have. I guess I might've kept it shorter.

Quote:
Speaking of which, you chose not to use the RPG aging guide. At one time, that bothered me. I had chosen to follow the stages in my own story, which came back to bite me when the books were abrogated. It turns out you made the right call. What makes this choice even more interesting is that one of the characters is a techno-mage, something that exists only in the RPG. What?
I pretty much don't actually know the first thing about what the RPG books say about most things. Just a few loose bits here and there, neither of which pertain here. That is to say, the aging is simply what makes the most sense to me, and the mage you're speaking of is quite simply someone very proficient in the engineering profession, to put it in game terms.

Quote:
Now, to the actual product itself. Reading a story out loud is as much an art as writing one. You seem to have it. I don't know how many reasonably good authors I've heard fumble when asked to read their work to the group. The key is the pauses. You're putting them in the right places; they're just...too big. You want to give time for things to sink in, but not enough to start thinking about something else. It could also just be that the ingrained cadences of our respective languages are different.
.....
I would've used a flat tone of voice to suggest the emotional numbness she feels, allowing a few excursions into exasperation and ironic amusement at her own condition. I speak as someone who's genuinely "been there."
In my first few test recordings of the first chapter, I actually had more of a flat tone. And a very slow one at that. However, I found that it seemed like a very lazy and not a very compelling way of getting things started, so I ruled in favor of something with a slightly more varied tone for the sake of seeming a bit more interesting from the get go. I don't expect most of my audience to know the story beforehand, after all, so I approached this one like a first impression that I need to make.

Quote:
If not for that baby (which we don't even know is there until the very end), she'd probably be suicidal.
A very accurate way of putting it. I can see you know and remember the story pretty well.

Quote:
EDIT: I wrote a whole paragraph trashing your delivery of the opening lines; but the more I think about it, the more I find it acceptable. It's more a subjective question of taste.
Oh? Now you've made me curious as to what was in it.

Quote:
Just remember that first-person perspective doesn't allow you to use a "generic narrator voice." This is doubly true during expositions.
I do try to put some flavor into the tone where appropriate, to reflect Cailea's opinions on certain things she mentions. I guess I'm not making it quite pronounced enough though. This is exactly why getting some honest criticism is so useful. Thank you.

That being said, at the end of the day I do have one thing to fall back on if all else fails: it's not really her voice per say, that does the present-day narration. Not in the proper sense anyway, as anyone who knows the story can tell.

Quote:
In all, I like it. While I personally will always prefer to hear my own voice when I read, the job you've done is more than adequate. There might be only a few views now, but that will change. Trust me.
I wonder. It does seem to be more a matter of coverage and being noticed than delivering quality that keeps people coming back for more, at this point anyway. So far I've linked it to here and fanfiction, as well as calling in a favor from a friend with an active account to have a link up on the EU officials, but I don't really have a whole lot of other means to tap into. I've utilized my facebook page as well, but it reaches less than a hundred people, and almost nobody is particularly interested in sharing the link forward without an amount of kicking and reminding that just seems excessive to me.
Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 PM
DarkAngel DarkAngel is offline

Priestess of the Moon
DarkAngel's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 568
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
Doesn't seem that negative to me. I'm all for honest criticism anyway. It's harder to come across than one might think, I find.
That's good to hear. Usually, I get accused of being too negative, so I've gotten kind of paranoid about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
And here I was, half expecting to get told off for having one of them 'fake-british' accents or something. I've been told before that I don't exactly sound like the average finnish athlete giving an interview in english.
It just struck an interesting chord because J.R.R. Tolkien used an obscure (and soon-to-be extinct) language from the Finnish hinterlands as the basis for one of his Elvish languages. A pity that I can't remember which one. Since he was trying to create a new mythology to replace the one crushed by the Normans, was he looking for something that blended Celtic and Germanic influences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
I pretty much don't actually know the first thing about what the RPG books say about most things. Just a few loose bits here and there, neither of which pertain here. That is to say, the aging is simply what makes the most sense to me, and the mage you're speaking of is quite simply someone very proficient in the engineering profession, to put it in game terms.
That's funny. You remind me of all the times I've come up with a "new" idea that someone was already using. WoWPedia the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
In my first few test recordings of the first chapter, I actually had more of a flat tone. And a very slow one at that. However, I found that it seemed like a very lazy and not a very compelling way of getting things started, so I ruled in favor of something with a slightly more varied tone for the sake of seeming a bit more interesting from the get go. I don't expect most of my audience to know the story beforehand, after all, so I approached this one like a first impression that I need to make.
This gets really tricky. There's a difference between the "flat tone" that comes from not caring and the one that comes from extreme mental exhaustion. Likewise, there's a big difference between not caring because something isn't important to you and not caring because caring is too painful. I can't really explain it.

First impressions, though, are ultimately about passion. Can you make the audience believe it? They won't remember what you say, only whether or not you made them feel something. If you don't believe it, they never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
Oh? Now you've made me curious as to what was in it.
I don't remember exactly what was in it. It just turned into an excoriation for tiny details that, after further thought, were acceptable. This is why I have a "come back in an hour" rule about posting. And part of it is that I always assume every NE woman sounds like the Archer from War3 (who also did Sylvanas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
I do try to put some flavor into the tone where appropriate, to reflect Cailea's opinions on certain things she mentions. I guess I'm not making it quite pronounced enough though. This is exactly why getting some honest criticism is so useful. Thank you.

That being said, at the end of the day I do have one thing to fall back on if all else fails: it's not really her voice per say, that does the present-day narration. Not in the proper sense anyway, as anyone who knows the story can tell.
I did hear the change, for example, in "by Elune, I hate that phrase." I had originally objected there was too much fire behind the delivery. Cailea would be exasperated, but too resigned to be angry. And, yes, she most certainly isn't physically speaking the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
I wonder. It does seem to be more a matter of coverage and being noticed than delivering quality that keeps people coming back for more, at this point anyway. So far I've linked it to here and fanfiction, as well as calling in a favor from a friend with an active account to have a link up on the EU officials, but I don't really have a whole lot of other means to tap into. I've utilized my facebook page as well, but it reaches less than a hundred people, and almost nobody is particularly interested in sharing the link forward without an amount of kicking and reminding that just seems excessive to me.
Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Entertainment is a nasty business. The problem is that literally millions of people are gifted at something, but there's only room in the market for a handful to truly make it big. I am probably one of the worst people in the world you could ask for advice on social affairs. I have almost no connections, and the ones I have tend to last only a few years at most. If your friends aren't acting as social media agents, you're pretty much screwed. So, yes, I sort of lied there as a form of encouragement. No-one will ever find out who you are or care to look at anything you create. That better?

You can't control how others react, only how you react. Just keep puting out a quality product and hoping it catches the eye of a "big fish." It's the only thing you can do.
__________________
Every ending is but a new beginning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.