Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Loboan#2416

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball Alternate paths for all expansions

Okay people, I'm gonna say this once: This thread is for listing ideas you have about what you would have done differently in regards to the past expansions (including Vanilla, if you want to talk about that) released in World of Warcraft. I can be about the story, the gameplay, the questing, the handling of professions, even the quality of the zones. But let it be said here so I don't get any disclaimers or "But I thought you meant" citations: We are not going to let this devolve into "My faction is better than yours" (take it to the faction thread) and I would really like if this thread could not go the way my Shadowmoon-and-Thunderlord discussion did and get hijacked by idiots intent on getting cheap laughs from reducing us all to barely contained hatred. THAT FUCKING MEANS YOU, FOJAR!

Anyway, I'll let the discussion get going before setting my own ideas down, since I'd prefer not to dictate the course of the thread in one direction (unless I have to get it back on track). So, who's first?

Last edited by Last of the Thunderlords; 10-11-2014 at 10:33 AM..
Old 10-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I liked that non-canon story which had Kael'thas survive and become the leader, and important and stuff happened with the Orcs/trolls and stuff it was a nice loooooong read.. was cool. It was very very loong.. Horde was united without the boring "Family" stuff.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Eternal

I'd go for Illidan still being crazy but not enough to become loot pinata. Akama and Vash'j helps the Horde and the Alliance fight against the Burning Legion while an incapacitated Illidan remains in the background up until the actual Burning Legion expansion.

The Zandalari also not being hit with the villain bat and instead trying to preserve Troll culture in collaboration with the Horde and the Alliance. IE: Actually helping Zul'Drak instead of annihilating the struggling remnants.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Eternal

Alright, so I'm going to do one for each expansion. Gonna start with Vanilla and TBC with this post then the next posts I'll do a little more if people like some of my ideas.

Vanilla Changes:
Only real change is that instead of Naxx being the last raid, Karazhan is released as the last raid. This allows for a better lead up into TBC. Most of the raid plays out the same until you start getting higher up into the tower, then you start fighting more Burning Legion demons until its revealed that Prince Malchezaar has stolen a powerful artifact and handed it over to Lord Kazzak to reopen the Dark Portal.

TBC Starter Zones Changes:
  • Eversong Woods would be mostly serve as an introduction to blood elves. The quests would mostly be about beating down threats from the wretched, Scourge, and Burning Legion. The other Horde races would have more presence here, attempting to aid their new allies and build relationships with each other. The tauren, for example, might have a small camp to work with the elves in attempts to heal the Dead Scar.
  • Ghostlands would be changed up slightly. All the night elves would be removed, as it seemed like needless faction conflict. The Amani would be a bigger threat, even beating back some of the Scourge presence. The Zandalari would return, seeking to either bring the Amani back into the fold or destroy them in the process.
  • Azuremyst Isle's quests would be more focused on building a new home for the draenei instead of an assortment of random, generic quests. New towns are established for the draenei to starting moving into. Friendships are still made with the local furbolg. The draenei are still introduced to the Alliance through Admiral Odesyus, but it's because they're investigating the crash-landing and not because of the Venture Co. The Alliance are more helpful in building a new home for the strangers, further cementing the ties between them.
  • Bloodmyst Isle becomes about fighting the Illidari and Burning Legion, instead of the blood elves. The Illidari have crash landed with the draenei and the Burning Legion have tracked both there due to the magic.

Outland Changes:
  • Overall: Because the system between choosing the Aldor or Scryers never worked out, both would be the biggest neutral factions of the expansion instead that you'd see across Outland. Some factions, like the Lower City, Skyguard, or Shattered Sun would be cut.
  • Hellfire Peninsula: The Horde plot would be more focused on the fel orcs, learning where they come from and how they're connected to the Illidari, and destroying them. The Alliance plot would be more focused on re-establishing the dominance of Honor Hold as the main bastion of the former Alliance that survived for so long in Outland and taking other bulk of Illidari forces, including apprentice demon hunters. The plotline shared by both factions would would be about defeating the lieutenants of Lord Kazzak and the Burning Legion while establishing a foothold for Alliance and Horde. Kazzak would be left as a world boss in Throne of Kil'jaeden.
  • Zangarmarsh: The naga presence and threat would be more shown off. Have Vashj appear more. Maybe further corruption of the naga by the fel and arcane magic that Illidan is using to bolster his forces. I always felt the naga and Vashj presence was very weak in Outland. Instead of the Cenarion Expedition, we'd have a different neutral faction that'd be made up the of the Darkspear jungle trolls (who have experience fighting in this environment) and the Night Elves (who have a grudge to settle against the naga).
  • Terrokkar Forest: The plot would mostly be about battling the Arrakoa, who would have a larger presence and bigger threat. There wouldn't be much questing based on faction. The Aldor would largely be around Auchindoun, trying to retake it from the Shadow Council/Burning Legion and Auchenai, and all the dungeons there would reward Aldor rep. The Scryers would have a small plot in which they suffer a big defeat due to the Firewing manabomb.
  • Nagrand: Wouldn't really have a centralized plotline. As part of the Horde plot, the Mag'har help the orcs and the Horde reconnect with their roots. The Alliance plotline is led by the Kurenai and focused on saving what Broken tribes they can in the land and coming to better understand what remains of the elementals in Outland. Nesingwary quests remain. No Halaa. The only centralized questing would be both factions would working on quests near Oshu'gun that deal with the Illidari (instead of the Shadow Council) trying to tap into the magic there.
  • Blade's Edge Mountains: Changed mostly to be battle between the Black Dragonflight and the gronn/ogres with the Horde and Alliance basically watching as the two titanic forces blow apart an already broken world in the struggle. The Mok'nathal would be another neutral faction that are heroically standing up against all three, fighting to survive in the wasteland. The idea of the zone is to have something a little removed from demons, Illidan, and blood elves so that doesn't become too overdone.
  • Netherstorm: The main plot would deal with the Scryers trying to tackle Kael'thas's blood elves. Not everything looks great for Kael'thas's followers, there are both the felbloods, Wretched, and many defectors to the Scryers. The Tempest Keep dungeons all reward Scryer rep. The Sha'tar have a smaller plot line that deals with trying to small Burning Legion presence there, led by eredar, that have captured draenei who were scattered when the blood elves took Tempest Keep. The Alliance would be largely led by coalition of gnomes (interested in draenei dimensional ships and tech) and Kirin Tor magi (wondering what happened to their base and people out here and what Kael'thas is up). The Horde would be largely led by the blood elf Magisters (also interested in what happened to the Kirin Tor stuff out here, along with Kael'thas) and goblins from the Steamwheedle Cartel (also interested in the draenei dimensional ships and tech).
  • Shadowmoon Valley: The Aldor would seek to reclaim the draenei land here with the aid of Akama, who has betrayed Illidan now that the timing is right. The Alliance would have the night elves (including a recently freed Maiev) and Kurdran's dwarves with hunting down Illidan by tracking his night elf demon hunter masters and trainers. The orcs and tauren would be out here for the Horde, the orcs seeking to make whatever amends they can for Gul'dan's and the first Horde's corruption of the land with the tauren trying to help them spiritually in the shamanistic journey. The Horde would fight Teron Gorefiend by the end of the zone, but even though he dies, he still appears in Black Temple because its Teron Gorefiend. The Netherwing would still be a thing to do at level cap. There would be a small plot about the Scryers taking on the Burning Legion in the area, too, who are also trying to attack Illidan's forces.

Raids:
  • Gruul's Lair: Expansion launch raid. Aided by the Mok'nathal We seek to finally end the on-going conflict in Blade's Edge by taking out the biggest, baddest gronn in the area.
  • Coilfang Reservoir: Expansion launch raid. Plays out largely the same. We take out the first lieutenants of Illidan, the naga. Once Vashj is killed, an image of Illidan appears, threatening the players and ordering all remaining naga to the Black Temple.
  • Magtheridon's Lair: First raid patch. Plays out largely the same. We beat back the Illidari, and by killing Magtheridon, we cut off a huge source of demonic power for Illidan.
  • Zul'Aman: First raid patch. As forces are built up to tackle the Black Temple, a new threat on Azeroth emerges as the Amani emerge to take all of Quel'thalas as troll land. The Horde and Alliance aid the Zandalari, who have come to either bring the Amani back into their empire or simply wipe out the Amani if they refuse to join them.
  • Battle of Mount Hyjal: Second raid patch. Also on Azeroth, but in the past, the Infinite Dragonflight seeks to aid the Burning Legion directly in the past to destroy Azeroth.
  • Tempest Keep: Second raid patch. Kael'thas and his blood elves and felbloods are becoming desperate. Illidan has not kept up his side of the bargain and magic reserves are running low. As such, they have turned to the Burning Legion for further power. We see a Kael'thas who comes off as extremely desperate and suffering majorly from arcane withdrawal and addiction. As such, we see the orcs team up with the blood elves to save him - who better understands the promise of glory and the addiction to fel magic than they? At the end of Tempest Keep, he's not killed but beaten but captured by the blood elves and the Horde.
  • Black Temple: Last raid patch of TBC. With all the other threats pacified in Outland, Illidan can finally be challenged. Between the Alliance and Horde, the Aldor, the Ashtongue Deathsworn with Akama, and the Wardens led by Maive (maybe with a cameo by Tyrande), we have a true army to fight him with. Black Temple is largely the same, though with no Broken in his army anymore, I'd just replace those with apprentice demon hunters and/or demons. The blood elf Illidari Council fight is replaced by a night elf demon hunter Illidari Council fight. Illidan is not killed, but captured by Maiev and to be jailed away once again.

PvP:
  • Fuck Eye of the Storm, it's the worst BG. No new BG would have been better than EotS.

So basically, my ideas is to make TBC more coherent. To me, the Illidari never felt like a threat. I always thought the night elves would lead the hunt against Illidan and was disappointed that they only really appeared as druids or off in Blade's Edge for no reason. I would include groups where they made sense (Kirin Tor and the Magisters in Netherstorm, for example). I wanted some sense of faction pride and faction-only quests without making it a completely HORDE VERSUS ALLIANCE thing. I also wanted more zones to have a 'central plot' that help tell the story of the expansion, as well. I changed up the raids a bit, some of their ordering as well, so that they would make more sense with how they progress. The idea is that the raid patches have 1 raid tied directly fighting the Illidari and 1 that has stuff going on in Azeroth itself. The last raid would be Black Temple, as it should have been. Sunwell would had made more sense as a part of Wrath.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

For the most part Sunwell made complete sense in TBC because it let players realize that Kael'thas is still kicking and needed to be killed. The flow between TBC and Wrath is bad in general and moving the Sunwell to Wrath would've made it worse; the Blue Dragonflight's involvement in Borean Tundra would not have made sense if the Sunwell was in Wrath as a raid.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Cataclysm:
I'd remove all content related to the Elemental Plane, leaving it for a future expansion, and would instead concentrate on making the world revamp better, with max level content for almost all zones in EK and Kalimdor.

The levels 1-60 revamp would focus on quickly leveling up, so most zones would cover 10 levels of gameplay instead of five, and quests would give more experience and better gear so you can quickly rise in power up to level 60.

----- World Revamp -----

Horde Zones: Questing only for Horde
Alliance Zones: Questing only for Alliance
War Zones: Separate quests and quest hubs for Alliance and Horde, may have some neutral quests and hubs. Storyline often but not always revolves around the war.
Wild Zones: Mostly neutral zones and hubs, few if any faction quests. Storylines are often about exploration, the Twilights Hammer or working for a neutral faction.

Eastern Kingdoms

"Horde Zones - Eastern Kingdoms"
Eversong Woods (1-10)
Tirisfal Glades (1-10)
Ghostlands (10-20)
Silverpine Forest (10-20)
Hillsbrad Foothills (20-30)

"Alliance Zones - Eastern Kingdoms"
Dun Morogh (1-10)
Elwynn Forest (1-10)
Loch Modan (10-20)
Westfall (10-20)
Duskwood (20-30)
Wetlands (20-30)
Redridge Mountains (30-40)

"War Zones - Eastern Kingdoms"
Arathi Highlands (30-40)
Hinterlands (40-50)
Western Plaguelands (40-50)
Swamp of Sorrows (40-50)
Blasted Lands (50-60)

"Wild Zones - Eastern Kingdoms"
Stranglethorn Vale (30-40)
Stranglethorn Cape (40-50)
Eastern Plaguelands (50-60)

"Zones reserved for Cataclysm (80-85)"
Badlands
Searing Gorge
Burning Steppes

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kalimdor

"Alliance Zones - Kalimdor"
Azuremyst Island (1-10)
Teldrassil (1-10)
Bloodmyst Island (10-20)
Darkshore (10-20)

"Horde Zones - Kalimdor"
Durotar (1-10)
Mulgore (1-10)
Azshara (10-20)
Northern Barrens (20-30)

"War Zones - Kalimdor"
Ashenvale (20-30)
Southern Barrens (30-40)
Stonetalon Mountains (30-40)
Dustwallow Marsh (40-50)
Feralas (50-60)

"Wild Zones - Kalimdor"
Desolace (40-50)
Felwood (40-50)
Thousand Needles (50-60)
Winterspring (50-60)

"Zones reserved for Cataclysm (80-85)"
Tanaris
Un'goro
Silithus

Zones By Level
1-10
Azuremyst Island (A)
Dun Morogh (A)
Durotar (H)
Elwynn Forest (A)
Eversong Woods (H)
Mulgore (H)
Teldrassil (A)
Tirisfal Glades (H)

10-20
Azshara (H)
Bloodmyst Island (A)
Darkshore (A)
Ghostlands (H)
Loch Modan (A)
Silverpine Forest (H)
Westfall (A)

20-30
Ashenvale
Duskwood (A)
Hillsbrad Foothills (H)
Northern Barrens (H)
Wetlands (A)

30-40
Arathi Highlands
Redridge Mountains (A)
Southern Barrens
Stonetalon Mountains
Stranglethorn Vale

40-50
Desolace
Dustwallow Marsh
Felwood
Hinterlands
Swamp of Sorrows
Stranglethorn Cape
Western Plaguelands

50-60
Blasted Lands
Eastern Plaguelands
Feralas
Thousand Needles
Winterspring

Examples of possible "Leveling Paths" for levels 20-60 (Levels 1-20 use each race's particular areas)

Lordaeron Path:
Wetlands (Alliance) or Hillsbrad Foothills (Horde) -> Arathi Highlands -> Hinterlands or Western Plaguelands -> Eastern Plaguelands

EK to Kalimdor Path:
Wetlands (Alliance) or Hilldsbrad Foothills (Horde) -> Southern Barrens -> Dustwallow Marsh -> Feralas or Thousand Needles

Southern EK Path:
Duskwood (Alliance) or Barrens (Horde) or Hillsbrad Foothills (Horde) or Ashenvale -> Redridge Mountains (Alliance) or Stranglethorn Vale -> Swamp of Sorrows or Stranglethorn Cape -> Blasted Lands

Southern Kalimdor Path:
Northern Barrens (Horde) or Ashenvale -> Stonetalon Mountains or Southern Barrens -> Desolace or Dustwallow Marsh -> Feralas or Thousand Needles

Northern Kalimdor Path:
Northern Barrens (Horde) or Ashenvale -> Stonetalon Mountains -> Felwood -> Winterspring

----- New Zones (for Levels 81-85) -----
- Hyjal (mostly as is, including leaving Ragnaros there as a hook for a future expansion)
- Kul Tiras (instead of Vashj'ir, thought reusing all Vashj'ir resources. Would focus on an Alliance vs. Horde vs. Naga questline)
- Gilneas (instead of Deepholme)
- Uldum (Harrison Jones quests would change into a Reliquary vs. Explorers Guild conflict).
- Twilight Highlands

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 PM

Eternal

Impressive, you guys are putting some good thought into this.

And all i have is a different method of murder for Deathwing.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 AM

Arch-Druid

I'll just talk about the lead-in to WoD...

This would all be during a patch between 5.4 and 6.0, set after the trial in Pandaria.

1) I would have probably had a new scenario/series of quests designed to investigate some anomalies in and around (a special, instanced) Karazhan; perhaps there have been sightings of the Infinite Flight - perhaps in tandem with some orcs or even Thalen Songweaver - around the tower, and it's obvious that they're looking for something. While the dragons themselves get away, you do get to kill Songweaver (alongside Khadgar and either Jaina or Aethas), who has a note with a list of books and where they can be found within the tower.

2) A second scenario or series of quests involving Chromie contacting the players about some unrest in the Bronze Dragonflight (at the Caverns of Time), and how she thinks that it's Kairoz instigating things. At the end, there's a big battle and Kairoz escapes, but it ends up encouraging Chromie to further investigate what he's up to (and can also be used to explain why she goes with us to Draenor).

As for Kairoz himself? I would... still kill him off the way they did, happening before the pre-expansion event. But I'd push it back in the timeline until later on in the AU, perhaps as completion of the Dark Portal draws nearer. This... actually allows Garrosh a chance to get those still loyal to him from the MU to Draenor, to plot for once the Dark Portal is open, and maybe even sneak them back in again.

...also, I'd update LBRS as well as UBRS. It just... makes sense to do that.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:31 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Loboan#2416

Hmm, so far so good. A little slower off the mark than I expected/intended, but no outbursts so far, which is good.

Anyway, Derp, I'm sure we'd all like to hear your ideas for the WotLK and Cata expansions. Hit us.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Eternal

I'm still working on the Wrath one. I got stuck with how to still have the Wrathgate but not make the Forsaken look Chaotic Stupid in the process. Also work keeps me busy.

It'll be posted soon.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Eternal

Okay, so, Wrath of the Lich King. My 'soon' was pretty much a Blizzard 'soon.' I had the hardest time thinking of what to do with Icecrown until I had a few ideas I liked. Have fun, it's a long read because I like words.

DK Starter Zone:
  • Honestly, wouldn't change much at all. It's one of my favorite things about Wrath. It shows the Lich King as both ruthless and intelligent with a bold plan.

Zone Changes:
  • Overall: First, a big one for the Alliance, I would establish that the Valiance Expedition was led and largely manned not by humans from Stormwind but from the last human remnants of Lordaeron. Calia Menethil would definitely appear as some sort of minor political leader on behalf of the former Alliance of Lordaeron, probably tailing Varian along with Jaina. For the Horde, I'd lessen the heavy orc presence in favor of a stronger Forsaken and non-Sunreaver blood elf one since they have the real vendetta against the Lich King. I would have had the Lich King refer to him as a collective unit (we, us) instead of a singular one. I think it would establish better that there is both an Arthas persona and Lich King persona to the character. Too often it felt like Arthas in DK plate rather than the 'Lich King.' The Sunreavers are formed as a faction within Dalaran and the Kirin Tor. The group is formed explicitly as a means for both the Kirin Tor to watch over the magic-addicted elves and for the blood elves to find some sort of safer means to control that addiction than what they were doing in TBC. The Silver Covenant is formed as militant high elf and pro-Alliance organization in response, who seek to watch over and call out the Sunreavers on their bullshit. Neither have members on the Council of Six, instead acting more like political parties within the theoretically neutral Kirin Tor.
  • Borean Tundra: Plot wise, mostly unchanged. I would try to show more of Garrosh's practical but appropriately brutal tactics. Coldarra would be larger and there would be much more plot development for the Nexus War, with the Kirin Tor and Kalec looking for ways to help Malygos with his madness instead of trying to destroy the dragonflight. Eventually, they persuade Aspect of Magic's consort to join their cause to help Malygos which causes a rip in the unity of the flight, causing some to support Kalec and Malygos's consort to help the mortals protect the world from dangerous magic and some to support Malygos's plan to undo mortals and their magic use.
    With Borean Tundra now sharing a border with Icecrown, the north of the zone is a hotbed for Scourge activity. The main Scourge threat is the Nerubians, whose tunneling has been disturbed by Horde and Alliance mining within the areas, and the Cult of the Damned, who are trying to raise the bones of the Blue Dragonflight into undeath.
  • Howling Fjord: I would better tie-in that the vrykul view the Lich King as their death god and worship. The Scourge are actively recruiting the vrykul via the Cult of the Damned and more undead vrykul and traditional Scourge forces and buildings appear as you go further north into the zone.Utgarde Keep, the centerpiece of the zone, reflects this - at the bottom it is a traditional vrykul structure that takes on more and more Scourge aesthetics as it goes further up to the top.
    I would shuffle this a bit with the bases so that the Alliance coming in from the west and the Forsaken the east, both pushing inwards towards Utgarde. The Alliance forces would be shown largely be former residents of Lordaeron, and I'd love to have a quest where we escort a mysterious person to a location, only for it to be revealed to be Calia Menethil herself.
    For the Forsaken, I would play up the idea the Lich King's offer to return to him and abandon the Banshee Queen by actually having some Forsaken taking up the offer, meaning a few quests dealing with rebels who are disillusioned with Sylvanas. Putress would show up at least once too, setting things up for the Wrathgate, by concerning himself with matters of the plague. Eventually, Horde and Alliance quests meet towards the middle to theoretically fight the vrykul, who we find out are being killed and raised into undeath by the Lich King's necromancers.
    However, the animosity between the Forsaken and the ex-Lordaeronian humans comes to a head at first and there's some fighting between the two. Varian shows up and talks shit about Sylvanas and the Horde, who has also shown up and is talking shit about Varian and the Alliance. Things look poised to explode until Calia and Jaina show up to talk down Varian and get him to focus on the current threat of the Scourge. Variamathas and Putress show up to do the same for Sylvanas, mentioning that the plague is not yet complete to take on Alliance and Scourge alike. Quests would resume with fighting the vrykul. Things go pretty successfully, with Forsaken and Alliance both pushing hard enough to kill King Yimron in a surprise attack. However, the Lich King appears suddenly with his Cult of the Damned and death knights, who hold back the forces of Azeroth while he raises King Yimron and his elite into undeath and setting things up for an Utgarde raid.
  • Dragonblight: Largely plays out the same. In the west, the Horde fights back the Nerubians. While the Horde is able to save the taunka, their town is loss and the Horde is pushed back to Agmar's Hammer, which is nearly overrun until Garrosh arrives with demolishers and air-support. The Horde proceeds to firebomb the fuck out of the forest near the Horde base, eventually driving the Nerubians back into their hole. However, the consequences are devastating, as the forest and land, including the Taunka capital Icemist and the various night elf ruins near-by, are destroyed which leaves nothing behind but a wasteland. Dranosh and Garrosh appear afterwards. Dranosh is furious about the destruction of the land, saying that while Garrosh was effective, he has too much bloodlust and he needs to learn how to use more honorable tactics that will not lay waste to the land and its native peoples and wildlife. Garrosh is pissed that Dranosh won't acknowledge that his plan and tactics worked and that hard sacrifices must be made to win the war against the Scourge, maybe even the Alliance at some point. The two nearly come to blows before they stand down. Garrosh tells Dranosh to go work with the Alliance and see where that gets him. Dranosh scoffs at the recklessness of Garrosh, telling him that he needs to be more careful about the path he walks down. Horde players are left to decide whether such tactics are worth it against the Scourge's numbers and power. The night elves in the west at Stars' Rest have quests that basically watching the Horde event unfold while trying to preserve what they can from the ruins that are being destroyed by Horde and Scourge alike.
    The Alliance's quests in the east largely remains the same – between the Frostmourne Cavern, that Lich who was an Argent Dawn member, and the Forgotten Shore, Alliance always had some really cool quests here. One change though would be that Archbishop Benedictus and Bishop Farthing would show up to lead some quests against the Scarlet Crusade, showing that the Alliance is taking a definitive stand against the organization. Venomspite would show there's a bit of unrest in the Forskan towards how the plague should be made and used, whether only on the Scourge or whether on all enemies of the Forsaken, Scourge and mortal alike. Putress shows up again at Venomspite and seems to be the loudest voice in support of plaguing everything everywhere. The Scarlet Crusade would still be shown to be controlled by the Burning Legion.
    Towards the middle of the zone, the faction-related quests give way to the Wyrmrest quests, which are solely focused now on battling the Scourge and not the Blue Dragonflight. The Scourge presence in the middle and north of Dragonblight is the biggest outside of Icecrown itself, with much of the land being blighted and new Dead Scar reaching from Angrathar the Wrathgate to to Galakrond's Rest to the shore near Moa'kai Harbor. Players would be sent to Moa'kai Harbor, where Dranosh and Bolvar can both be found representing the Horde and Alliance. There would also be the Wyrmest dragons, Argent Crusade, and Ebon Blade. Everyone is there to basically begin the hard work of pushing up north through this new Dead Scar to the Wrathgate. Your first stop is as Galakrond's Rest where players must destroy a partly reanimated Galakrond and put him back to rest (pun intended). From there, the push to the Wrathgate, battling progressive stronger Scourge foes until everyone reaches the Horde and Alliance camps.
  • The Wrathgate: Not technically a zone, but deserves its own thing. Okay, so, this plays out very similarly and very differently. So, the forces of Azeroth reach the Wrathgate, where the Alliance and Horde have established bases. The battle begins and Bolvar and Dranosh lead the charge. The Lich King appears and shit goes down. Instead of dying, Dranosh is severely wounded and dragged off the field. Bolvar, however, is still killed and his corpse taken by the Lich King. Putress makes his grand escape and we discover he and Varimathas have taken the Undercity and Tirisfal Glades for the Burning Legion. Sylvanas is nearly killed in the process, saved only by the quick action of Nathanos Blightcaller. We arrive in Orgrimmar to find the leaders of the Horde gathered. Thrall wastes no time and orders Garrosh (who is also there now) to assemble his Warsong Offensive to Undercity immediately. Thrall, Garrosh, Saurfang, Sylvanas, and Nathanos Blightcaller.
    In Stormwind, Varian is pissed that Bolvar has been killed and he, Calia, and Jaina all head out to Lordaeron to take the Undercity for the Alliance. In this version, there is no Jaina going to Orgrimmar. The battle plays out largely the same for the Alliance and Horde. However, Putress isn't in the Apothecarium and the Alliance realize they'll have to go to the throne room. Before they leave, however, Varian has the Alliance forces blow up and destroy the Apothecarium. Putress and Varimathas are both fought in the same location in Sylvanas's throne room by Horde and Alliance alike. Varimathas would be slain first, cutting off the demonic reinforcements. Putress would be beaten, admit he only made the deal because the Burning Legion promised to not let the Forsaken die out, unlike Sylvanas who had no way to keep the 'race' alive in the longterm and saw no hope with her. He kills himself afterward instead of allowing himself to be taken alive.
    Now the Alliance and Horde face one another. Thrall and Jaina quickly try to prevent things from getting too crazy. Varian shuts then down, saying he's been gone for too long, that the Horde had thrown him in slavery and the arenas, had allowed for Sylvanas and her people to develop a plague under his nose, that Thrall was a weak ruler of an untamed, savage, and dangerous Horde. He claims that Lordaeron will be returned one day to its rightful ruler Calia Menethil and that the Horde will be ended. Garrosh counters that the Lordaeron belongs only to those who are strong enough to rule it – the Horde, who have retaken it not by sneaking through sewers but crushing their foes before them. He goads Varian by saying that all enemies of the Horde will fall to the axes of orcs, including Stormwind and that all of Azeroth will belong to the Horde. Varian's had enough and orders his soldiers to fight and a small battle erupts. The battle is quickly ended by Jaina's and Thrall's magic. Calia is injured in the fighting by Garrosh, prompting Varian to order an immediate retreat back to Stormwind. Thrall feels defeated, admitting as much to the rest of the Horde assembled. To Garrosh he mutters his infamous, “You disappoint me, Garrosh.” which pisses Garrosh off and causes him to leave. Sylvanas is actually shown to be highly appreciative (for her anyway) for the Warchief's aid, saying it will not be forgotten. Varok and Saurfang talk, and we learn Dranosh was gravely injured and will have to sit out the rest of the war.
    The Undercity is reclaimed, but the rest of the expansion is shown to be in a state of ruin. No Kor'kron forces are dispatched to the Undercity (as Thrall has direct proof that Putress betrayed the Forsaken) and Nathanos Blightcaller replaces Varimathas instead. Apothecaries are posted outside the now ruined Apothecarium, having flavor text that the plagues production is halted... for now.
  • Grizzly Hills: It always felt all over the place to me and I'd centralize the plot a little better. Remove the worgen, iron dwarves (moved to Storm Peaks), and vrykul completely. Both factions would start from the south dealing with their respective threats - each other. Hellscream appears and orders Krenna to remind the Alliance to stay off Horde turf since their logging camp is annoyingly close to the Horde. Krenna takes the orders too far and essentially lays waste to the Alliance camp and tries to take it further by attacking other Alliance outposts. Gorgonna tries to rein her sister in, but ultimately there's the mak'gora duel. Garrosh would reappear with Dranosh. Garrosh is satisfied with the Alliance death, but Dranosh chastises him for pushing the Alliance with bigger threats to the north. Garrosh admits his orders were unclear and Gorgonna took it too far. They wish Gorgonna luck.
    Meanwhile, the Alliance are having similar issues. The old anti-orc faction butt heads with the folks who are like, "Hey maybe we should focus on the Scourge" here. This leads to some of the Alliance attacking a Horde/taunka camp. Unlike the Horde, this does not lead to bloodshed but the anti-orc leader who took things too far is temporarily relieved of command for needlessly antagonizing the Horde. There is still the plot about the Old God corruption of the world tree here. However, the main plot becomes investigating what's causing a death and corruption of beasts. Slowly, you work your way waste where the land becomes more and more blighted by the Scourge's plague (similar to how the Plaguelands look) and we discover that the Scourge are building more necropoleis on and over a small island off the coast of Grizzly Hills (replacing the worgen quests in the zone). Towards the end of your time in the zone, players would do quests concerning the sudden influx of ice trolls moving into zone, heading south from Zun'Drak.
  • Zul'Drak: I would heavily redesign Zul'Drak. It never made sense that the Argent Crusade wanted you to go forth and kill the trolls – which only helps the Lich King. My idea is that Zul'Drak would be in the middle of a civil war. The Drakkari are divided between giving up their lives and serving the Lich King, while the others want to stand tall as trolls and are sacrificing their loa to do so. To quell the civil war, the Zandalari have come once again to stop a troll tribe from going to far. They have commanded the Drakkari to either bend the knee to them once more and stop killing their gods or be destroyed. Drakuru would still around, given a more expanded role in the story. The Knights of the Ebon Blade would also be around more, as many of the stronger troll warlords are being turned into Death Knights, and they seek to end their production.
  • The Storm Peaks: So we'd go into Storm Peaks wondering why the Scourge haven't bothered with the place and quickly learn it is because of Old Gods and Titans. The Reliquary and Explorers' League set up camps here, competing to find the ancient history and relics within the Storm Peaks. Both hear rumors of iron dwarves, ice vrykul, giants made of ice, Titanic watchers, and portals to a tropical basin free of Scourge taint. The Explorers' League would also investigate the rumor of a race of frost dwarves, subsequently also finding Marudin Bronzebeard, as well. The Reliquary, however, find demons in an area and thinking it odd, investigate what is going on. Soon they find out that the demons have been aggressively seeking out a jeweled scepter of some sort, which the Reliquary claim. They tell the player they just have 'no' idea what it is and 'promise' that it'll be handed over to the Sunreavers for 'safe' keeping.
  • Sholazar Basin: Made into a much, much smaller sub-zone of northern Borean Tundra that's separated from it and unable to be accessed save by flying or through teleporting during Storm Peak quests. I found the zone horribly boring, and it'd probably work better as something with Storm Peaks, which shows most of the interesting Titan lore anyway.
  • Crystalsong Forest: Here would be a few quests about the Sunreavers working with the Blue Dragonflight and trying to find a safe way to sate their magic addiction. The Silver Covenant high elves and night elves exploring the area, working together here that results a sort of understanding about one another and their shared past, healing some ancient wounds. Both factions would share a quest chain with the Green Dragonflight investigating the Great Tree and its portal to the Emerald Dream/Nightmare.
  • Icecrown: First, I'd get rid of almost all of the frost/undead vrykul bits because they're not particularly interesting to me and never seemed really relevant to what's going on with the Lich King. Also, throughout the zone, we would fight the Black Knight several times, and hilariously destroy his body until we finally kill his spirit at some point during questing. However, at the beginning of the zone, we have 3 bases – a Horde base, an Alliance base, and the Argent's base of the Argent Vanguard. The Ebon Blade have a small camp outside of the Argent Vanguard, where they warn that they are on the Lich King's dominion now. Players quickly have their faction bases overrun and watch as all the NPCs are killed and raised into undeath before escaping to the Argent Vanguard. Tirion has the player begin reinforcing the base, saving Argents who were captured by the Scourge, and defeating the advanced forces of the Scourge. Then a big battle breaks out. While the Argent Crusaders manage to win, it's a bitter victory at best and the Argent Vanguard is in ruin. Darion Mograine appears and tells Tirion that the Ebon Blade will buy them time to take a pinnacle on a mountain just further into Icecrown – giving them a location where the Scourge's numbers can be bottle-necked and giving them at least a minor advantage.
    Players and the Ebon Blade set off to destroy Scourgeholme and take Mord'rethar: The Death Gate for the Ebon Blade's base of operations, which allows the Argents to build their new fortress, which the player returns to once the Ebon Blade secure Mord'rethar. Once back to the Argent's new mountain fortress, the player is tasked by Tirion to be head to the middle of the zone where Ymirheim used to be. I would instead replace it with a city built by the Lich King and the Scourge. It would be similar in layout to Lordaeron's Capital City, a twisted vision and mockery of the former Arthas's homeland that's meant to be the first 'city' for the Scourge. It would also have the Halls of Reflection-like throne room, as well. The city would largely be populated by spirits that reside in Frostmourne, death knights, and the Cult of the Damned. There the player would encounter such faces as Falric and Marwyn (who also show up at bosses later in a raid) and Death Marshal Othmar Garithos, whose body was claimed by the Scourge and raised into undeath as a Death Knight and master of this new, twisted version of Lordaeron City (in a sense, giving Garithos almost exactly what he wanted). Players would even have to fight the spirit of Uther the Lightbringer, who is bound to the Lich King's blade. The Argent Crusade launch this massive assault and siege the city. The fight is brutal but ultimately succeeds, and one of the Lich King's most powerful seat of operations falls to the Crusade.
    Afterwards, the Alliance and Horde show up with their airships Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer, which has the players lay waste to the remaining pockets of Scourge forces outside the city and force the Scourge to abandon any chance of reclaiming it. Players also eventually encounter the spirit of Arthas if you're Alliance or Ner'zhul if you're Horde. They would explain to their respective backstory to the player, showing them what led them to eventually become the Lich King (leading the player to believe their spirit is the one true spirit inside the Lich King's body). Then they direct the player to where the Lich King has torn out his mortal form's heart, where the quest plays out the same roughly the same. At the end, however, both the spirits of Arthas and Ner'zhul appear, explaining that while both souls reside within the Lich King, they are as much slaves as any soul within Frostmourne and have no influence nor power over this wholly new, terrible being called the Lich King (instead of basically showing the Lich King as 'Arthas with a nice hat' that Blizz went with).
    Eventually, the Ebon Blade come back to gather up the player and they go take the Shadow Vault from the Scourge. Their new target now isn't the Scourge for the moment, but the Scarlet Onslaught, who have constructed a considerably defensible new harbor. However, when the player gets there, almost all the Scarlets are undead (though they don't seem to realize it). Mal'Ganis has effectively abandoned all pretense and disguise, using powerful mind control upon the undead Scarlets. The player battles through this new Scarlet Scourge that Mal'Ganis has created for his masters and eventually fight the dreadlord himself. However, the battle is interrupted by the Lich King, who chastises Mal'Ganis for trying to control undead within his domain and so close to his citadel. The Lich King enacts his own control of these now undead Scarlets, adding them to his own Scourge, and uses them to turn on Mal'Ganis and kill him. Darion and his DKs help us escape, and afterward, he admits he's fucked up and that trying to go it alone without Tirion just won't work the closer they get to Icecrown Citadel. Players meet up with Darion and Tirion, where they talk, and the Ashen Verdict is established. For now, the player is sent off to the Plaguelands to fight the Scourge's assault there and the later ICC patch would see the new Ashen Verdict take the courtyard in front of the Icecrown Citadel, from which they will launch the assault against the Lich King.
  • The Plaguelands: I would start to set the trend that older zones will be revamped for higher level content when appropriate, while adjusting lower level zones to account for the change in the leveling flow. Both Plaguelands would be adjusted to serve as level-capped zones at the launch of the expansion. There would be dailies, some grinding for rep and fun toys, and story quests to introduce the various bosses that players would see in Naxxramas and even ICC, trying to either stop them or harass them, and ultimately driving them back to where ever we would eventually fight them. The Lich King has marshaled his forces within the Plaguelands and now the Horde, Alliance, Ebon Blade, and Argent Crusade must tackle their enemy here first. Naxxramas would float across both zones, slightly buffing Scourge forces in whichever zone it was in.
  • Western Plaguelands: After hitting cap, players would be ported to the Uther's Tomb, which has been fortified by the Argent Crusade as their main camp in the Western Plaguelands. Players would be directed to a number of locations to fight the Scourge – Lady Deathwhisper controls Andorhal and prepares to soon march on the Bulwark and into Tirisfal Glade. Professor Putricide has been sent to Scholomance to reanimate Darkmaster Gandling so that they can begin new experiments for the Scourge. Finally, the now dead Scarlet Crusaders in Hearthglen has been raised as a death knights by with the death knight Taelan Fordring as the commander of all Scourge forces in the Western Plaguelands. Players would do weekly story quests and daily quests in Andorhal, Caer Darrow, and Hearthglen to fight the Scourge forces. The story quests would end with players assisting Tirion in putting down his undead son with him mentioning that when all is said and done, he will return to Hearthglen to make it into a bastion of the Light in honor of his son's memory.
  • Eastern Plaguelands: Players are transported to Tyr's Hand, which has been taken by Argent Crusade as their main base of operations. To the west at Darrowshire, the Scourge has rebuilt it to rival even Deatholme. The Lich King has gone as far as to raise up the spirits of Darrowshire to serve the Scourge and with Redpath the Corrupted and Marduk Blackpool as its leaders. Players would be tasked to go to Carlin Repath at Crown Guard Tower, which has been reinforced by the Argent Crusade, and head to Darrowshire to kill Marduk and free Redpath's spirit. In Plaguewood, players would have their first encounters with Loatheb and Heigan the Unclean. Quel'Lithien Lodge would be overtaken by the Darkfallen and San'layn, their first and mysterious appearance to the players. The Scarlet Enclave would be overrun by the newest generation of death knights – this time trained by Instructor Razuvious and the Four Horsemen. Players would start from Acherus and get quests from the Ebon Blade to deal with them. Light's Hope Chapel would have a timed event every few hours where it be under attacked by waves of Scourge (rotating between 4 or 5 different themes, such as only death knights or only ghouls and skeletons, with each new event) and players would have to defend the Chapel for like 15 to 30 minutes. Successfully defending the chapel gives a zone-wide buff while losing the chapel would give a zone-wide debuff. Winning also would offer a unique quartermaster and certain rewards. Fungal Vale and Noxious Glade would both become seats of power for the undead Nerubians and players must kill them there. Corin's Crossing would rebuilt by the Scourge and from here, Gothik the Harvester, Noth the Plaguebringer, and the Cult of the Damned performs their own rituals to try and outdo the folks in Scholomance. In Terrordale and Terroweb Tunnel, players would try to (and fail) to stop Grand Widow Faerlina from corrupting and raising spiders and other crawly beasts to serve the Lich King's force in Naxxramas. Ultimately, the story quest would culminate to where it began – at Stratholme, where we would fight Kel'thuzad outside of it with the aid of the Kirin Tor's Khadgar, Rhonin, Kael'thas, and Jaina, who ultimately force the Archlich to retreat to Naxxramas.
  • Isle of Quel'danas: Would be introduced in the first raid patch with the Sunwell raid. The Shattered Sun Offensive would be seen here as an offshoot of the Argent Crusade specifically formed mostly by blood elves and high elves to retake the Sunwell from the Scourge. The Isle and Sunnwell is where we'd have our first major interactions with the San'layn/Darkfallen, including Blood-Queen Lana'thel, as we learn more about them and their role within the Scourge and how they came to be. The Quel'Delar story would play out here, as well.

Raids:
  • Launch Raids: Nexus and Utgarde. The Nexus War and the vrykul of Utgarde prove to be the most immediate threats in the areas that the Horde and Alliance have landed and must be dealt with to secure their positions. The Silver Covenant and Sunreavers would work separately (though under the Kirin Tor's watchful eyes) with both sides aided by Kalecgos to deal with Malygos, who would be pacified and brought back to sanity instead of killed. Meanwhile, the vrykul are in the middle of making a deal with the 'death god' Lich King, which is ended by the Horde and Alliance. There would definitely be a Val'kyr boss and an undead King Yimron as the final boss.
  • First Raid Patch: Naxxramas and Sunwell. The point of these raids is to take out the Scourge presence outside of Northrend proper. The fight inside Naxxramas would be led by Darion and the Ebon Blade, who seek to destroy the Lich King's most powerful death knights, the Four Horsemen, and his favored lieutenant Kel'thuzad. He is still the final boss of the raid, and his phylactery is taken by the Ebon Blade at the end of the fight. Sunwell, naturally, would have Scourge related bosses. Brutallus would definitely still be a boss (cuz he looks badass), but would be an undead pit lord under the Lich King's control. The final boss fight being a San'layn King Anasterian being master of the Sunwell, continuing its corruption. Kael'thas would appear after the fight along with Velen, Liadrin, and slightly more sane Malygos (in humanoid form), where the group would speak about redemption. The Sunwell would not be cleansed completely, but they would begin the healing process.
  • Second Raid Patch: Ulduar and Azjol-Nerub. Leading up to the final showdown with the Lich King, we have a show down with an Old God and we take out one of the LK's strongest lieutenants by killing Anub'arak and his Nerubians.
  • Final Raid Patch: ICC. The patch would see the Ashen Verdict formed and them bringing the fight to the Lich King's doorstep in the courtyard of ICC, which would have dailies all around the area. I'd change some of the bosses of ICC itself, getting rid of the green dragon fight and merging the Rotface and Festergut fight into one single fight. Deathbringer Saurfang fight would be replaced with Deathbringer Bolvar, whose bonds to the Lich King we break at the end of the fight and gain his aid. Marwyn and Falric would be the last boss fight before the Lich King himself. The Lich King battle itself ends similarly. The souls of Arthas and Ner'zhul appear along with Teneras. Arthas is told no king rules forever and both the soul of Arthas and Ner'zhul mention similarly that only darkness lies before them. While there is no 'there must always be a Lich King' line anymore, Bolvar nonetheless volunteers himself to wear the Helm of Domination in order to control the Scourge, recall them to him, and jail them away within Icecrown forever.

PvP:
  • Wintergrasp: Whoever controls it gets access to Vault of Archavon. Only instead of being a raid, it's an outdoor zone. And you're still flagged for PvP in this part of the zone, although the faction that controls Wintergrasp gets a minor stat buff and is the only who can get PvP and PvE loot from the Watcher bosses. However, now you have to fight off the other faction too because fuck you it's a PvP zone, so get gud. It'd piss everyone off and that would be fantastic to me.

Characters:
  • Tirion Fordring: By virtue of no Argent Tournament, he automatically comes out looking smarter and better. I wouldn't give him Ashbringer, which seems kinda corny, but instead have him use Uther's warhammer, which I think would serve as a more appropriate counter-symbol to Frostmourne and as a symbol of his right to lead the Silver Hand and Argent Crusade.
  • Darion Morgraine: Less crazy backstory, he was just another guy killed and raised into undeath, but was slightly more useful to the Lich King due to his name. Freed by Tirion and the Argent Dawn at Light's Hope Chapel still. Basically does the dirty work that Tirion can do as a paladin, but ultimately has to be shown the hard way that without the Argents, he can't prevail. Comes to realize that while the Ebon Blade is inherently a force of darkness and death, they can still do some good with their dark powers. He would still have Corrupted Ashbringer since it was his father's weapon.
  • Varian Wrynn: Shown to be war hungry and not the wimpy pushover. I'd remove almost all the Lo'Gosh stuff and like 90% of the comic book stuff. Pretty much just go with a backstory that he was captured by the Defias, lost by them, loses his memories, becomes Lo'Gosh in the arenas, rescued by Jaina somehow, and deposes of Onyxia and a black dragon posing as him (none of that dual personality/bodies magic bullshit), and given the blade Shalamayne by the night elves to kill Onyxia. The guy is just pissed off at the orcs and has good reasons with the whole First War thing and being enslaved and thrown into the arena pit things by Thralls 'good' Horde. I'd probably tone down the temper when he's interacting with fellow Alliance, but when it's with the Horde, he couldn't give a shit about their feelings and, generally, rightly so. At the Battle of the Undercity, he'd pretty much show to be completely in the right for being pissed at Thrall.
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Shows up mostly trailing around Varian. I think somewhere in one zone, it would be nice to have at least one quest with her to see her confront everything the Lich King, and by extension Arthas, as wrought. She'd be a lot less 'crying' and more just coming to terms with things and wanting to do her part in ending the threat.
  • Calia Menethil: I think it was fucked that Blizz forgot or didn't bother with Calia. In this Wrath, she mostly just tails Varian (as its hard to come up with something for her to do without being a warrior or general). However, she'd show how the Alliance has some legitimate claims to Lordaeron still, especially at the Wrathgate.
  • Thrall: Doesn't show up much in my version of Wrath, but nonetheless shows up to worthwhile mention him. He shows up as decisive and forceful. He's shown to want the best for the Horde and will call out Garrosh on his bullshit attitude, but he's also shown that he's let shit slide and hasn't been the best leader of the Horde either.
  • Sylvanas Windrunner: Establish her as less 'mustache twirling villain' and more of someone who is stuck and has no idea what to do. She leads a people who cannot reproduce and must face down the fact that she really doesn't have a plan on what to do by confronting Forsaken who try to leave to join the Lich King again and Putress and Varimathas's betrayal to the Burning Legion. This makes her decision to bring the val'kyr into the Frosaken make more sense, as she would now have a means to save her people from extinction. She'll also owe Thrall one for getting back her city, too.
  • Garrosh Hellscream: Garrosh is, of course, meant to show the more bloodthirsty side of the orcs. His tactics are brutal and destructive – but are also shown to be very effective against the Scourge, as well. He bickers with Thrall over what the right course of action, but ultimately shows that he really does care about the Horde and the orcs. However, he hates the Alliance and sees no value with working with them. He think its undermines the Horde to work with the Alliance because then the Horde isn't strong enough to stand on its own.
  • Dranosh Saurfang: While still savage and appropriately orc-like, he's more willing to work with the Alliance and understands the biggest threat isn't just the Scourge but giving into the orcish bloodlust. He would serve as a foil to Garrosh, but while we might see him as more honorable, his tactics prove less useful in fighting the Scourge. Unlike in actual WoW, Dranosh would not die, but instead would be so gravely wounded at the Wrathgate, he'd have to sit out the rest of the war, leaving Garrosh to look really good after the war is over.
  • Lich King: While Blizz went with the Lich King basically just being Arthas wearing a hat, I think he would be far more interesting as a completely new being made up of the personalities of Ner'zhul and Arthas, but definitely distinct and separate from them. Using the spirits of Arthas and Ner'zhul still lets us explore that history and those characters but allows it to make the Lich King still distinct.

Last edited by DerpiusMaximus; 10-19-2014 at 09:42 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I like this thread. It took me a while to think of what paths I would have preferred taking different races on but I think I might have settled on this one for the time being. (I don't really always stick to one idea though, so my mind always changes depending on the kind of input it gets.)

Suffice to say, I wouldn't change too much about the leveling path that Cataclysm gave the races. However, I would definitely have given Worgen a more proper 12-20 zone, perhaps in Felwood since I think it would have made the Kalimdor questing flow a lot smoother. (A strong case is made with this post in a very similar topic.) I also think that Felwood would be a very aesthetically fitting zone for the Worgen with a lot of lore that's relevant to their backstory given that it was the place where the War of the Satyr took place and where Velinde Starsong first summoned the Worgen to Azeroth.

Night Elves, I would have preferred their starting zone to have been in Moonglade instead of Teldrassil, as well. I believe there are better posts than mine that explain why Teldrassil never made sense, and I also think it wouldn't break the Night Elf questing flow either since Moonglade is close to other 12-20 zones.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Ressureting an old topic, but one that has potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
Alright, so I'm going to do one for each expansion. Gonna start with Vanilla and TBC with this post then the next posts I'll do a little more if people like some of my ideas.

Vanilla Changes:
Only real change is that instead of Naxx being the last raid, Karazhan is released as the last raid. This allows for a better lead up into TBC. Most of the raid plays out the same until you start getting higher up into the tower, then you start fighting more Burning Legion demons until its revealed that Prince Malchezaar has stolen a powerful artifact and handed it over to Lord Kazzak to reopen the Dark Portal.

TBC Starter Zones Changes:
  • Eversong Woods would be mostly serve as an introduction to blood elves. The quests would mostly be about beating down threats from the wretched, Scourge, and Burning Legion. The other Horde races would have more presence here, attempting to aid their new allies and build relationships with each other. The tauren, for example, might have a small camp to work with the elves in attempts to heal the Dead Scar.
  • Ghostlands would be changed up slightly. All the night elves would be removed, as it seemed like needless faction conflict. The Amani would be a bigger threat, even beating back some of the Scourge presence. The Zandalari would return, seeking to either bring the Amani back into the fold or destroy them in the process.
  • Azuremyst Isle's quests would be more focused on building a new home for the draenei instead of an assortment of random, generic quests. New towns are established for the draenei to starting moving into. Friendships are still made with the local furbolg. The draenei are still introduced to the Alliance through Admiral Odesyus, but it's because they're investigating the crash-landing and not because of the Venture Co. The Alliance are more helpful in building a new home for the strangers, further cementing the ties between them.
  • Bloodmyst Isle becomes about fighting the Illidari and Burning Legion, instead of the blood elves. The Illidari have crash landed with the draenei and the Burning Legion have tracked both there due to the magic.

Outland Changes:
  • Overall: Because the system between choosing the Aldor or Scryers never worked out, both would be the biggest neutral factions of the expansion instead that you'd see across Outland. Some factions, like the Lower City, Skyguard, or Shattered Sun would be cut.
  • Hellfire Peninsula: The Horde plot would be more focused on the fel orcs, learning where they come from and how they're connected to the Illidari, and destroying them. The Alliance plot would be more focused on re-establishing the dominance of Honor Hold as the main bastion of the former Alliance that survived for so long in Outland and taking other bulk of Illidari forces, including apprentice demon hunters. The plotline shared by both factions would would be about defeating the lieutenants of Lord Kazzak and the Burning Legion while establishing a foothold for Alliance and Horde. Kazzak would be left as a world boss in Throne of Kil'jaeden.
  • Zangarmarsh: The naga presence and threat would be more shown off. Have Vashj appear more. Maybe further corruption of the naga by the fel and arcane magic that Illidan is using to bolster his forces. I always felt the naga and Vashj presence was very weak in Outland. Instead of the Cenarion Expedition, we'd have a different neutral faction that'd be made up the of the Darkspear jungle trolls (who have experience fighting in this environment) and the Night Elves (who have a grudge to settle against the naga).
  • Terrokkar Forest: The plot would mostly be about battling the Arrakoa, who would have a larger presence and bigger threat. There wouldn't be much questing based on faction. The Aldor would largely be around Auchindoun, trying to retake it from the Shadow Council/Burning Legion and Auchenai, and all the dungeons there would reward Aldor rep. The Scryers would have a small plot in which they suffer a big defeat due to the Firewing manabomb.
  • Nagrand: Wouldn't really have a centralized plotline. As part of the Horde plot, the Mag'har help the orcs and the Horde reconnect with their roots. The Alliance plotline is led by the Kurenai and focused on saving what Broken tribes they can in the land and coming to better understand what remains of the elementals in Outland. Nesingwary quests remain. No Halaa. The only centralized questing would be both factions would working on quests near Oshu'gun that deal with the Illidari (instead of the Shadow Council) trying to tap into the magic there.
  • Blade's Edge Mountains: Changed mostly to be battle between the Black Dragonflight and the gronn/ogres with the Horde and Alliance basically watching as the two titanic forces blow apart an already broken world in the struggle. The Mok'nathal would be another neutral faction that are heroically standing up against all three, fighting to survive in the wasteland. The idea of the zone is to have something a little removed from demons, Illidan, and blood elves so that doesn't become too overdone.
  • Netherstorm: The main plot would deal with the Scryers trying to tackle Kael'thas's blood elves. Not everything looks great for Kael'thas's followers, there are both the felbloods, Wretched, and many defectors to the Scryers. The Tempest Keep dungeons all reward Scryer rep. The Sha'tar have a smaller plot line that deals with trying to small Burning Legion presence there, led by eredar, that have captured draenei who were scattered when the blood elves took Tempest Keep. The Alliance would be largely led by coalition of gnomes (interested in draenei dimensional ships and tech) and Kirin Tor magi (wondering what happened to their base and people out here and what Kael'thas is up). The Horde would be largely led by the blood elf Magisters (also interested in what happened to the Kirin Tor stuff out here, along with Kael'thas) and goblins from the Steamwheedle Cartel (also interested in the draenei dimensional ships and tech).
  • Shadowmoon Valley: The Aldor would seek to reclaim the draenei land here with the aid of Akama, who has betrayed Illidan now that the timing is right. The Alliance would have the night elves (including a recently freed Maiev) and Kurdran's dwarves with hunting down Illidan by tracking his night elf demon hunter masters and trainers. The orcs and tauren would be out here for the Horde, the orcs seeking to make whatever amends they can for Gul'dan's and the first Horde's corruption of the land with the tauren trying to help them spiritually in the shamanistic journey. The Horde would fight Teron Gorefiend by the end of the zone, but even though he dies, he still appears in Black Temple because its Teron Gorefiend. The Netherwing would still be a thing to do at level cap. There would be a small plot about the Scryers taking on the Burning Legion in the area, too, who are also trying to attack Illidan's forces.

Raids:
  • Gruul's Lair: Expansion launch raid. Aided by the Mok'nathal We seek to finally end the on-going conflict in Blade's Edge by taking out the biggest, baddest gronn in the area.
  • Coilfang Reservoir: Expansion launch raid. Plays out largely the same. We take out the first lieutenants of Illidan, the naga. Once Vashj is killed, an image of Illidan appears, threatening the players and ordering all remaining naga to the Black Temple.
  • Magtheridon's Lair: First raid patch. Plays out largely the same. We beat back the Illidari, and by killing Magtheridon, we cut off a huge source of demonic power for Illidan.
  • Zul'Aman: First raid patch. As forces are built up to tackle the Black Temple, a new threat on Azeroth emerges as the Amani emerge to take all of Quel'thalas as troll land. The Horde and Alliance aid the Zandalari, who have come to either bring the Amani back into their empire or simply wipe out the Amani if they refuse to join them.
  • Battle of Mount Hyjal: Second raid patch. Also on Azeroth, but in the past, the Infinite Dragonflight seeks to aid the Burning Legion directly in the past to destroy Azeroth.
  • Tempest Keep: Second raid patch. Kael'thas and his blood elves and felbloods are becoming desperate. Illidan has not kept up his side of the bargain and magic reserves are running low. As such, they have turned to the Burning Legion for further power. We see a Kael'thas who comes off as extremely desperate and suffering majorly from arcane withdrawal and addiction. As such, we see the orcs team up with the blood elves to save him - who better understands the promise of glory and the addiction to fel magic than they? At the end of Tempest Keep, he's not killed but beaten but captured by the blood elves and the Horde.
  • Black Temple: Last raid patch of TBC. With all the other threats pacified in Outland, Illidan can finally be challenged. Between the Alliance and Horde, the Aldor, the Ashtongue Deathsworn with Akama, and the Wardens led by Maive (maybe with a cameo by Tyrande), we have a true army to fight him with. Black Temple is largely the same, though with no Broken in his army anymore, I'd just replace those with apprentice demon hunters and/or demons. The blood elf Illidari Council fight is replaced by a night elf demon hunter Illidari Council fight. Illidan is not killed, but captured by Maiev and to be jailed away once again.

PvP:
  • Fuck Eye of the Storm, it's the worst BG. No new BG would have been better than EotS.

So basically, my ideas is to make TBC more coherent. To me, the Illidari never felt like a threat. I always thought the night elves would lead the hunt against Illidan and was disappointed that they only really appeared as druids or off in Blade's Edge for no reason. I would include groups where they made sense (Kirin Tor and the Magisters in Netherstorm, for example). I wanted some sense of faction pride and faction-only quests without making it a completely HORDE VERSUS ALLIANCE thing. I also wanted more zones to have a 'central plot' that help tell the story of the expansion, as well. I changed up the raids a bit, some of their ordering as well, so that they would make more sense with how they progress. The idea is that the raid patches have 1 raid tied directly fighting the Illidari and 1 that has stuff going on in Azeroth itself. The last raid would be Black Temple, as it should have been. Sunwell would had made more sense as a part of Wrath.
Overall there a few things I disagree; Sunwell plateau still should have fit in there, as it helps the blood elf storyline, and it addresses the OTHER threat; Illidan may be gone but the legion still launched an invasion and hearing an opportunity like the sunwell they're gonna exploit it. The Felbloods who decided to keep with the legion launch an attack, abduct Anveena and we get the sunwell arc. It ends with Kil'jaeden defeated and badly injured to the point he'll be out of action for a couple'a years. The Naaru and Velen agree to help purify the sunwell (which has been ignited but somewhat corrupted.)

Illidan.....I'd keep dead. I rather liked what Legion is doing so far, and it gives him an good redemption story. I'd keep him dead for a few expansions and then bring him back as part of the legion's plot.

Overall, though this is a good storyline. The Illidari actually feel like a threat rather than fleeing like sissies and waiting for us to storm their hq and kill their leader. It also manages to give both Alliance and Horde a good story without demonizing the others. The orcs actually do something else to help redeem themselves by saving the blood elves from walking the path of damnation, and it in turn makes the blood elves feel like part of the horde. The horde saved them in their darkest hour and kept them from making a terrible decision, so the blood elves feel gratitude.

I might make the dungeons (shattered halls and ramparts) combined with the magdetherion's lair.

But overall both factions get dignity and it addresses one of the main things fans hated. Kael'thas I think they wanted to have it that he was desperate for a solution and joined Kil'jaeden and the magic rotted his brain to the point he worked for the guy who gave arthas the order to torch quel'thalas. I do understand now why a lot of fans hated the change, and this thing allows us to temporarily have Kael with the legion, while also giving him a less retarded reason. Rather than being an evil jackass he's desperately trying to save his fellow elves.

Last edited by Ol'Yoggy; 03-06-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Characters:
  • Tirion Fordring: By virtue of no Argent Tournament, he automatically comes out looking smarter and better. I wouldn't give him Ashbringer, which seems kinda corny, but instead have him use Uther's warhammer, which I think would serve as a more appropriate counter-symbol to Frostmourne and as a symbol of his right to lead the Silver Hand and Argent Crusade.
  • Darion Morgraine: Less crazy backstory, he was just another guy killed and raised into undeath, but was slightly more useful to the Lich King due to his name. Freed by Tirion and the Argent Dawn at Light's Hope Chapel still. Basically does the dirty work that Tirion can do as a paladin, but ultimately has to be shown the hard way that without the Argents, he can't prevail. Comes to realize that while the Ebon Blade is inherently a force of darkness and death, they can still do some good with their dark powers. He would still have Corrupted Ashbringer since it was his father's weapon.
  • Varian Wrynn: Shown to be war hungry and not the wimpy pushover. I'd remove almost all the Lo'Gosh stuff and like 90% of the comic book stuff. Pretty much just go with a backstory that he was captured by the Defias, lost by them, loses his memories, becomes Lo'Gosh in the arenas, rescued by Jaina somehow, and deposes of Onyxia and a black dragon posing as him (none of that dual personality/bodies magic bullshit), and given the blade Shalamayne by the night elves to kill Onyxia. The guy is just pissed off at the orcs and has good reasons with the whole First War thing and being enslaved and thrown into the arena pit things by Thralls 'good' Horde. I'd probably tone down the temper when he's interacting with fellow Alliance, but when it's with the Horde, he couldn't give a shit about their feelings and, generally, rightly so. At the Battle of the Undercity, he'd pretty much show to be completely in the right for being pissed at Thrall.
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Shows up mostly trailing around Varian. I think somewhere in one zone, it would be nice to have at least one quest with her to see her confront everything the Lich King, and by extension Arthas, as wrought. She'd be a lot less 'crying' and more just coming to terms with things and wanting to do her part in ending the threat.
  • Calia Menethil: I think it was fucked that Blizz forgot or didn't bother with Calia. In this Wrath, she mostly just tails Varian (as its hard to come up with something for her to do without being a warrior or general). However, she'd show how the Alliance has some legitimate claims to Lordaeron still, especially at the Wrathgate.
  • Thrall: Doesn't show up much in my version of Wrath, but nonetheless shows up to worthwhile mention him. He shows up as decisive and forceful. He's shown to want the best for the Horde and will call out Garrosh on his bullshit attitude, but he's also shown that he's let shit slide and hasn't been the best leader of the Horde either.
  • Sylvanas Windrunner: Establish her as less 'mustache twirling villain' and more of someone who is stuck and has no idea what to do. She leads a people who cannot reproduce and must face down the fact that she really doesn't have a plan on what to do by confronting Forsaken who try to leave to join the Lich King again and Putress and Varimathas's betrayal to the Burning Legion. This makes her decision to bring the val'kyr into the Frosaken make more sense, as she would now have a means to save her people from extinction. She'll also owe Thrall one for getting back her city, too.
  • Garrosh Hellscream: Garrosh is, of course, meant to show the more bloodthirsty side of the orcs. His tactics are brutal and destructive – but are also shown to be very effective against the Scourge, as well. He bickers with Thrall over what the right course of action, but ultimately shows that he really does care about the Horde and the orcs. However, he hates the Alliance and sees no value with working with them. He think its undermines the Horde to work with the Alliance because then the Horde isn't strong enough to stand on its own.
  • Dranosh Saurfang: While still savage and appropriately orc-like, he's more willing to work with the Alliance and understands the biggest threat isn't just the Scourge but giving into the orcish bloodlust. He would serve as a foil to Garrosh, but while we might see him as more honorable, his tactics prove less useful in fighting the Scourge. Unlike in actual WoW, Dranosh would not die, but instead would be so gravely wounded at the Wrathgate, he'd have to sit out the rest of the war, leaving Garrosh to look really good after the war is over.
  • Lich King: While Blizz went with the Lich King basically just being Arthas wearing a hat, I think he would be far more interesting as a completely new being made up of the personalities of Ner'zhul and Arthas, but definitely distinct and separate from them. Using the spirits of Arthas and Ner'zhul still lets us explore that history and those characters but allows it to make the Lich King still distinct.
Characters:

Tirion: I'd have him still use ash bringer. The point is that the silver hand has risen from the ashes better than before. Having Tirion use Ashbringer (the weapon that was meant to combat darkness, but corrupted and then purified) shows that perfectly, since the ash bringer rose from the ashes (pardon the pun) and became better. It also ties in with the whole redemption theme. Ash bringer was corrupted yet redeemed. I'd still have Arthas be Tirion's nemesis, and Tirion is the one leading the charge. He's the perfect foil; Tirion's older, Arthas's younger. Tirion is experienced and calm due to seeing where recklessness leads, Arthas let his passions and anger consume him enough that kel'thuzad ner'zhul and Mal'ganis played him like a fiddle; Tirion lost everything for doing what was right and ultimately regains his honor by becoming champion of the light; Arthas COULD be great but threw it away and became the lord of darkness. Arthas wants to exploit people's desire for revenge and hatred; because Tirion lost everything PRIOR to arthas going evil he doesn't have the same lust for revenge and having seen his friends become monsters in the scarlet crusade he knows where that path will end.

Darion: I wasn't entirely sure. I'd have allowed players to have a flashback of the first battle of Light's Hope. At the climax Darion would have plunged Ashbringer into his heart; not only would this have triggered the souls under the cathedral, but it would have also purified the blade (a selfish act of hatred polluted it, a selfless act of love purified it.) Kel'Thuzad would have perished in the battle, as Tirion would have than claimed the purified Ashbringer and with the help of Darion's surviving companions would have ripped Kel'Thuzad a new one, culminating in Kel'Thuzad's phylactery being destroyed and Kel'thuzad's soul being dragged down to the fiery depths of hell for his sins. The Lich King would have stolen Darion's body and risen him as the first of his death knights as a truly vile "screw you" and set him on Light's Hope to avenge his humiliation (The Miracle of Light's Hope being the first time the Lich King EVER really lost a battle, and him wanting to avenge his humiliation. It's like how in Star Wars the New Jedi Order, when after the New republic wins the battle of Ebaq 9 the Vong, who were previously seen as invincible, suffer a genuine loss and lose their aura of invincibility and unstoppableness) Tirion against all odds purified Darion and the argent crusade used the remaining spirits to sever the lich king's connection to his knights. This would add MORE reason why the lich king REALLY fucking hates Tirion. Tirion has defied him twice and badly humiliated him both times. Otherwise I'd have it be what Derpius said. He'd be the more black ops guy who does dicier stuff but ultimately must work with Tirion in order to save the day.

Calia Menethil: Come to think of it it was a shame Calia wasn't in Wrath. She was Arthas's sister so she has a reason to be invested. More importantly it also adds more depth to the foresaken Lordeaeron conflict. In canon, the foresaken are evil douchebags but when you get down to it they're like sylvannas. Their souls were twisted in service of the lich king, they have memories of their past, their bodies that they inhabit WERE by and large Lordaeron citizens. They're not quite the original model but their souls are those of the original. So when you get down to......Lordaeron IS their home. There are others who have fled the kingdom and settled elsewhere when arthas ran it into the ground. Calia allows this to be explored. There's a genuine claimant to challenge Sylvannas that the lordaeroni have rallied behind. It adds an alliance horde conflict without being stupid. Calia may want to be a priestess but at the same time feel the obligation to take the throne of her homeland and restore it.

Jaina Proudmoore: Largely unchanged. Jaina wouldn't be irritating and crying; she'd still be smart and intelligent. I'd have it that during the final duel between Tirion and Arthas she might be there to help (Kael'thas and Sylvannas would also be there).

Garrosh: This is were I'd slightly differ. At the beginning he might not be impressed with the horde's fellow races. However, because Varok Saurfang would be the overall Overlord of the operation AND Because a much larger percentage of the force would be foresaken and blood elves, Garrosh would be forced to dine with, bunk with, and fight with those of other races. Over the expansion he would come to see their worth and at the very least respect them as allies and see the merit in cooperating with other races even if he still thinks the Alliance suck. At the same time, he also comes to embody the more destructive side of the orcish race. He looks up to Thrall and sees him as a mentor, but due to the nature of the scourge he comes to embrace more brutal and destructive tactics against the scourge. The fact that they work and get results sticks with him and forms the impression that sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

Dranosh: I wouldn't keep him alive; having a likable character die at Arthas's hands makes the Lich King more hatable and you can have other Mag'har like Jorin show the more noble side. It also shows that wars will always exact a heavy price. The horde looses Dranosh, the Alliance looses Bolvar.

Varian: I heartily agree to trim down a lot of the backstory, but I'd still have him and the others escape and kick ass on adventures before Varian recovers his memory, returns and rips Onyxia a new asshole. I wouldn't have him be so rabid. He wouldn't be "ALL ORCS DIE RARRRRHARHHHHH!" He'd be skeptical of cooperation with the horde; partially because of his experience as a small child, but also because he and several other alliance races were kept in underground death matches for the entertainment of many, and having seen some of the nastiest fighting like in ashenvale. The battle in the undercity would be a major sore spot for him; Lordaeron was his home after the orcs sacked storm wind, so seeing it reduced to the undercity AND seeing some of the more nasty experiments the foresaken did would make him even less willing to listen. Sylvannas's explanation (that she HAD originally meant for the plague to wipe out all life, but that after experiencing genuine compassion and acceptance from the horde she mellowed out, realized not all living things were out to get them, and ordered the apothecarium to terminate the human experimentation.) would be met with either a.) scepticism ("yeah, sure") or b.) "even if I did believe you you still sanctioned the torture of innocents." Thrall would seen as at worst a liar and at work ineffectual at keeping his allies in check. Shit goes down in the throne room and Thrall and Jaina's magic keeps it from becoming a blood bath. Sadly, Jaina predicts that once the news spreads people will definately want war; they might be willing to wait while the scourge is active, but once that happens all bets are off.

Sylvannas: I'd make her more sympathetic; originally she DID plan to use the blight to wipe out all the non living. However, being shown genuine acceptance and friendship from Thrall softened her, and while she's still angry and nasty in the break a few skulls way, she no longer wants to exterminate the living and has ordered her apothecaries to terminate the parts of the blight that target living things. She's basically what Kerrigan was at the end of Heart; kind of abrasive and willing to bust heads, but ultimately gave more of a shit about human life. Unfortunately, a lot of the foresaken STILL dislike the living and combined with the fact that sylvy really hasn't answered what the hell she plans to do (she can't make them reproduce). Combine the two and we start to see cracks; some defect to the scourge, others side with putress's coup and join the legion. Because she's come to see the horde as family she feels genuinely guilt stricken when Varian uses the apothecaries and clusterfuck to reignite hostilities.

Thrall: I'd Keep him as the leader figure; however cracks are starting to show. You get the feeling he's kind of suffering under the weight and is hoping to choose a new successor. He's also failed to notice the darker aspects of the foresaken, but when things get nasty he drops negotiations, picks up the hamma and rips Varimathras a new one.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:59 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Okay, so, Wrath of the Lich King. My 'soon' was pretty much a Blizzard 'soon.' I had the hardest time thinking of what to do with Icecrown until I had a few ideas I liked. Have fun, it's a long read because I like words.

DK Starter Zone:
  • Honestly, wouldn't change much at all. It's one of my favorite things about Wrath. It shows the Lich King as both ruthless and intelligent with a bold plan.

Zone Changes:[LIST][*]Overall: First, a big one for the Alliance, I would establish that the Valiance Expedition was led and largely manned not by humans from Stormwind but from the last human remnants of Lordaeron. Calia Menethil would definitely appear as some sort of minor political leader on behalf of the former Alliance of Lordaeron, probably tailing Varian along with Jaina. For the Horde, I'd lessen the heavy orc presence in favor of a stronger Forsaken and non-Sunreaver blood elf one since they have the real vendetta against the Lich King. I would have had the Lich King refer to him as a collective unit (we, us) instead of a singular one. I think it would establish better that there is both an Arthas persona and Lich King persona to the character. Too often it felt like Arthas in DK plate rather than the 'Lich King.' The Sunreavers are formed as a faction within Dalaran and the Kirin Tor. The group is formed explicitly as a means for both the Kirin Tor to watch over the magic-addicted elves and for the blood elves to find some sort of safer means to control that addiction than what they were doing in TBC. The Silver Covenant is formed as militant high elf and pro-Alliance organization in response, who seek to watch over and call out the Sunreavers on their bullshit. Neither have members on the Council of Six, instead acting more like political parties within the theoretically neutral Kirin Tor.
[*]Borean Tundra: Plot wise, mostly unchanged. I would try to show more of Garrosh's practical but appropriately brutal tactics. Coldarra would be larger and there would be much more plot development for the Nexus War, with the Kirin Tor and Kalec looking for ways to help Malygos with his madness instead of trying to destroy the dragonflight. Eventually, they persuade Aspect of Magic's consort to join their cause to help Malygos which causes a rip in the unity of the flight, causing some to support Kalec and Malygos's consort to help the mortals protect the world from dangerous magic and some to support Malygos's plan to undo mortals and their magic use.
With Borean Tundra now sharing a border with Icecrown, the north of the zone is a hotbed for Scourge activity. The main Scourge threat is the Nerubians, whose tunneling has been disturbed by Horde and Alliance mining within the areas, and the Cult of the Damned, who are trying to raise the bones of the Blue Dragonflight into undeath.[*]Howling Fjord: I would better tie-in that the vrykul view the Lich King as their death god and worship. The Scourge are actively recruiting the vrykul via the Cult of the Damned and more undead vrykul and traditional Scourge forces and buildings appear as you go further north into the zone.Utgarde Keep, the centerpiece of the zone, reflects this - at the bottom it is a traditional vrykul structure that takes on more and more Scourge aesthetics as it goes further up to the top.
I would shuffle this a bit with the bases so that the Alliance coming in from the west and the Forsaken the east, both pushing inwards towards Utgarde. The Alliance forces would be shown largely be former residents of Lordaeron, and I'd love to have a quest where we escort a mysterious person to a location, only for it to be revealed to be Calia Menethil herself.
For the Forsaken, I would play up the idea the Lich King's offer to return to him and abandon the Banshee Queen by actually having some Forsaken taking up the offer, meaning a few quests dealing with rebels who are disillusioned with Sylvanas. Putress would show up at least once too, setting things up for the Wrathgate, by concerning himself with matters of the plague. Eventually, Horde and Alliance quests meet towards the middle to theoretically fight the vrykul, who we find out are being killed and raised into undeath by the Lich King's necromancers.
However, the animosity between the Forsaken and the ex-Lordaeronian humans comes to a head at first and there's some fighting between the two. Varian shows up and talks shit about Sylvanas and the Horde, who has also shown up and is talking shit about Varian and the Alliance. Things look poised to explode until Calia and Jaina show up to talk down Varian and get him to focus on the current threat of the Scourge. Variamathas and Putress show up to do the same for Sylvanas, mentioning that the plague is not yet complete to take on Alliance and Scourge alike. Quests would resume with fighting the vrykul. Things go pretty successfully, with Forsaken and Alliance both pushing hard enough to kill King Yimron in a surprise attack. However, the Lich King appears suddenly with his Cult of the Damned and death knights, who hold back the forces of Azeroth while he raises King Yimron and his elite into undeath and setting things up for an Utgarde raid.[*]Dragonblight: Largely plays out the same. In the west, the Horde fights back the Nerubians. While the Horde is able to save the taunka, their town is loss and the Horde is pushed back to Agmar's Hammer, which is nearly overrun until Garrosh arrives with demolishers and air-support. The Horde proceeds to firebomb the fuck out of the forest near the Horde base, eventually driving the Nerubians back into their hole. However, the consequences are devastating, as the forest and land, including the Taunka capital Icemist and the various night elf ruins near-by, are destroyed which leaves nothing behind but a wasteland. Dranosh and Garrosh appear afterwards. Dranosh is furious about the destruction of the land, saying that while Garrosh was effective, he has too much bloodlust and he needs to learn how to use more honorable tactics that will not lay waste to the land and its native peoples and wildlife. Garrosh is pissed that Dranosh won't acknowledge that his plan and tactics worked and that hard sacrifices must be made to win the war against the Scourge, maybe even the Alliance at some point. The two nearly come to blows before they stand down. Garrosh tells Dranosh to go work with the Alliance and see where that gets him. Dranosh scoffs at the recklessness of Garrosh, telling him that he needs to be more careful about the path he walks down. Horde players are left to decide whether such tactics are worth it against the Scourge's numbers and power. The night elves in the west at Stars' Rest have quests that basically watching the Horde event unfold while trying to preserve what they can from the ruins that are being destroyed by Horde and Scourge alike.
The Alliance's quests in the east largely remains the same – between the Frostmourne Cavern, that Lich who was an Argent Dawn member, and the Forgotten Shore, Alliance always had some really cool quests here. One change though would be that Archbishop Benedictus and Bishop Farthing would show up to lead some quests against the Scarlet Crusade, showing that the Alliance is taking a definitive stand against the organization. Venomspite would show there's a bit of unrest in the Forskan towards how the plague should be made and used, whether only on the Scourge or whether on all enemies of the Forsaken, Scourge and mortal alike. Putress shows up again at Venomspite and seems to be the loudest voice in support of plaguing everything everywhere. The Scarlet Crusade would still be shown to be controlled by the Burning Legion.
Towards the middle of the zone, the faction-related quests give way to the Wyrmrest quests, which are solely focused now on battling the Scourge and not the Blue Dragonflight. The Scourge presence in the middle and north of Dragonblight is the biggest outside of Icecrown itself, with much of the land being blighted and new Dead Scar reaching from Angrathar the Wrathgate to to Galakrond's Rest to the shore near Moa'kai Harbor. Players would be sent to Moa'kai Harbor, where Dranosh and Bolvar can both be found representing the Horde and Alliance. There would also be the Wyrmest dragons, Argent Crusade, and Ebon Blade. Everyone is there to basically begin the hard work of pushing up north through this new Dead Scar to the Wrathgate. Your first stop is as Galakrond's Rest where players must destroy a partly reanimated Galakrond and put him back to rest (pun intended). From there, the push to the Wrathgate, battling progressive stronger Scourge foes until everyone reaches the Horde and Alliance camps.[*]The Wrathgate: Not technically a zone, but deserves its own thing. Okay, so, this plays out very similarly and very differently. So, the forces of Azeroth reach the Wrathgate, where the Alliance and Horde have established bases. The battle begins and Bolvar and Dranosh lead the charge. The Lich King appears and shit goes down. Instead of dying, Dranosh is severely wounded and dragged off the field. Bolvar, however, is still killed and his corpse taken by the Lich King. Putress makes his grand escape and we discover he and Varimathas have taken the Undercity and Tirisfal Glades for the Burning Legion. Sylvanas is nearly killed in the process, saved only by the quick action of Nathanos Blightcaller. We arrive in Orgrimmar to find the leaders of the Horde gathered. Thrall wastes no time and orders Garrosh (who is also there now) to assemble his Warsong Offensive to Undercity immediately. Thrall, Garrosh, Saurfang, Sylvanas, and Nathanos Blightcaller.
In Stormwind, Varian is pissed that Bolvar has been killed and he, Calia, and Jaina all head out to Lordaeron to take the Undercity for the Alliance. In this version, there is no Jaina going to Orgrimmar. The battle plays out largely the same for the Alliance and Horde. However, Putress isn't in the Apothecarium and the Alliance realize they'll have to go to the throne room. Before they leave, however, Varian has the Alliance forces blow up and destroy the Apothecarium. Putress and Varimathas are both fought in the same location in Sylvanas's throne room by Horde and Alliance alike. Varimathas would be slain first, cutting off the demonic reinforcements. Putress would be beaten, admit he only made the deal because the Burning Legion promised to not let the Forsaken die out, unlike Sylvanas who had no way to keep the 'race' alive in the longterm and saw no hope with her. He kills himself afterward instead of allowing himself to be taken alive.
Now the Alliance and Horde face one another. Thrall and Jaina quickly try to prevent things from getting too crazy. Varian shuts then down, saying he's been gone for too long, that the Horde had thrown him in slavery and the arenas, had allowed for Sylvanas and her people to develop a plague under his nose, that Thrall was a weak ruler of an untamed, savage, and dangerous Horde. He claims that Lordaeron will be returned one day to its rightful ruler Calia Menethil and that the Horde will be ended. Garrosh counters that the Lordaeron belongs only to those who are strong enough to rule it – the Horde, who have retaken it not by sneaking through sewers but crushing their foes before them. He goads Varian by saying that all enemies of the Horde will fall to the axes of orcs, including Stormwind and that all of Azeroth will belong to the Horde. Varian's had enough and orders his soldiers to fight and a small battle erupts. The battle is quickly ended by Jaina's and Thrall's magic. Calia is injured in the fighting by Garrosh, prompting Varian to order an immediate retreat back to Stormwind. Thrall feels defeated, admitting as much to the rest of the Horde assembled. To Garrosh he mutters his infamous, “You disappoint me, Garrosh.” which pisses Garrosh off and causes him to leave. Sylvanas is actually shown to be highly appreciative (for her anyway) for the Warchief's aid, saying it will not be forgotten. Varok and Saurfang talk, and we learn Dranosh was gravely injured and will have to sit out the rest of the war.
The Undercity is reclaimed, but the rest of the expansion is shown to be in a state of ruin. No Kor'kron forces are dispatched to the Undercity (as Thrall has direct proof that Putress betrayed the Forsaken) and Nathanos Blightcaller replaces Varimathas instead. Apothecaries are posted outside the now ruined Apothecarium, having flavor text that the plagues production is halted... for now.[*]Grizzly Hills: It always felt all over the place to me and I'd centralize the plot a little better. Remove the worgen, iron dwarves (moved to Storm Peaks), and vrykul completely. Both factions would start from the south dealing with their respective threats - each other. Hellscream appears and orders Krenna to remind the Alliance to stay off Horde turf since their logging camp is annoyingly close to the Horde. Krenna takes the orders too far and essentially lays waste to the Alliance camp and tries to take it further by attacking other Alliance outposts. Gorgonna tries to rein her sister in, but ultimately there's the mak'gora duel. Garrosh would reappear with Dranosh. Garrosh is satisfied with the Alliance death, but Dranosh chastises him for pushing the Alliance with bigger threats to the north. Garrosh admits his orders were unclear and Gorgonna took it too far. They wish Gorgonna luck.
Meanwhile, the Alliance are having similar issues. The old anti-orc faction butt heads with the folks who are like, "Hey maybe we should focus on the Scourge" here. This leads to some of the Alliance attacking a Horde/taunka camp. Unlike the Horde, this does not lead to bloodshed but the anti-orc leader who took things too far is temporarily relieved of command for needlessly antagonizing the Horde. There is still the plot about the Old God corruption of the world tree here. However, the main plot becomes investigating what's causing a death and corruption of beasts. Slowly, you work your way waste where the land becomes more and more blighted by the Scourge's plague (similar to how the Plaguelands look) and we discover that the Scourge are building more necropoleis on and over a small island off the coast of Grizzly Hills (replacing the worgen quests in the zone). Towards the end of your time in the zone, players would do quests concerning the sudden influx of ice trolls moving into zone, heading south from Zun'Drak.[*]Zul'Drak: I would heavily redesign Zul'Drak. It never made sense that the Argent Crusade wanted you to go forth and kill the trolls – which only helps the Lich King. My idea is that Zul'Drak would be in the middle of a civil war. The Drakkari are divided between giving up their lives and serving the Lich King, while the others want to stand tall as trolls and are sacrificing their loa to do so. To quell the civil war, the Zandalari have come once again to stop a troll tribe from going to far. They have commanded the Drakkari to either bend the knee to them once more and stop killing their gods or be destroyed. Drakuru would still around, given a more expanded role in the story. The Knights of the Ebon Blade would also be around more, as many of the stronger troll warlords are being turned into Death Knights, and they seek to end their production.[*]The Storm Peaks: So we'd go into Storm Peaks wondering why the Scourge haven't bothered with the place and quickly learn it is because of Old Gods and Titans. The Reliquary and Explorers' League set up camps here, competing to find the ancient history and relics within the Storm Peaks. Both hear rumors of iron dwarves, ice vrykul, giants made of ice, Titanic watchers, and portals to a tropical basin free of Scourge taint. The Explorers' League would also investigate the rumor of a race of frost dwarves, subsequently also finding Marudin Bronzebeard, as well. The Reliquary, however, find demons in an area and thinking it odd, investigate what is going on. Soon they find out that the demons have been aggressively seeking out a jeweled scepter of some sort, which the Reliquary claim. They tell the player they just have 'no' idea what it is and 'promise' that it'll be handed over to the Sunreavers for 'safe' keeping.[*]Sholazar Basin: Made into a much, much smaller sub-zone of northern Borean Tundra that's separated from it and unable to be accessed save by flying or through teleporting during Storm Peak quests. I found the zone horribly boring, and it'd probably work better as something with Storm Peaks, which shows most of the interesting Titan lore anyway.[*]Crystalsong Forest: Here would be a few quests about the Sunreavers working with the Blue Dragonflight and trying to find a safe way to sate their magic addiction. The Silver Covenant high elves and night elves exploring the area, working together here that results a sort of understanding about one another and their shared past, healing some ancient wounds. Both factions would share a quest chain with the Green Dragonflight investigating the Great Tree and its portal to the Emerald Dream/Nightmare.[*]Icecrown: First, I'd get rid of almost all of the frost/undead vrykul bits because they're not particularly interesting to me and never seemed really relevant to what's going on with the Lich King. Also, throughout the zone, we would fight the Black Knight several times, and hilariously destroy his body until we finally kill his spirit at some point during questing. However, at the beginning of the zone, we have 3 bases – a Horde base, an Alliance base, and the Argent's base of the Argent Vanguard. The Ebon Blade have a small camp outside of the Argent Vanguard, where they warn that they are on the Lich King's dominion now. Players quickly have their faction bases overrun and watch as all the NPCs are killed and raised into undeath before escaping to the Argent Vanguard. Tirion has the player begin reinforcing the base, saving Argents who were captured by the Scourge, and defeating the advanced forces of the Scourge. Then a big battle breaks out. While the Argent Crusaders manage to win, it's a bitter victory at best and the Argent Vanguard is in ruin. Darion Mograine appears and tells Tirion that the Ebon Blade will buy them time to take a pinnacle on a mountain just further into Icecrown – giving them a location where the Scourge's numbers can be bottle-necked and giving them at least a minor advantage.
Players and the Ebon Blade set off to destroy Scourgeholme and take Mord'rethar: The Death Gate for the Ebon Blade's base of operations, which allows the Argents to build their new fortress, which the player returns to once the Ebon Blade secure Mord'rethar. Once back to the Argent's new mountain fortress, the player is tasked by Tirion to be head to the middle of the zone where Ymirheim used to be. I would instead replace it with a city built by the Lich King and the Scourge. It would be similar in layout to Lordaeron's Capital City, a twisted vision and mockery of the former Arthas's homeland that's meant to be the first 'city' for the Scourge. It would also have the Halls of Reflection-like throne room, as well. The city would largely be populated by spirits that reside in Frostmourne, death knights, and the Cult of the Damned. There the player would encounter such faces as Falric and Marwyn (who also show up at bosses later in a raid) and Death Marshal Othmar Garithos, whose body was claimed by the Scourge and raised into undeath as a Death Knight and master of this new, twisted version of Lordaeron City (in a sense, giving Garithos almost exactly what he wanted). Players would even have to fight the spirit of Uther the Lightbringer, who is bound to the Lich King's blade. The Argent Crusade launch this massive assault and siege the city. The fight is brutal but ultimately succeeds, and one of the Lich King's most powerful seat of operations falls to the Crusade.
Afterwards, the Alliance and Horde show up with their airships Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer, which has the players lay waste to the remaining pockets of Scourge forces outside the city and force the Scourge to abandon any chance of reclaiming it. Players also eventually encounter the spirit of Arthas if you're Alliance or Ner'zhul if you're Horde. They would explain to their respective backstory to the player, showing them what led them to eventually become the Lich King (leading the player to believe their spirit is the one true spirit inside the Lich King's body). Then they direct the player to where the Lich King has torn out his mortal form's heart, where the quest plays out the same roughly the same. At the end, however, both the spirits of Arthas and Ner'zhul appear, explaining that while both souls reside within the Lich King, they are as much slaves as any soul within Frostmourne and have no influence nor power over this wholly new, terrible being called the Lich King (instead of basically showing the Lich King as 'Arthas with a nice hat' that Blizz went with).
Eventually, the Ebon Blade come back to gather up the player and they go take the Shadow Vault from the Scourge. Their new target now isn't the Scourge for the moment, but the Scarlet Onslaught, who have constructed a considerably defensible new harbor. However, when the player gets there, almost all the Scarlets are undead (though they don't seem to realize it). Mal'Ganis has effectively abandoned all pretense and disguise, using powerful mind control upon the undead Scarlets. The player battles through this new Scarlet Scourge that Mal'Ganis has created for his masters and eventually fight the dreadlord himself. However, the battle is interrupted by the Lich King, who chastises Mal'Ganis for trying to control undead within his domain and so close to his citadel. The Lich King enacts his own control of these now undead Scarlets, adding them to his own Scourge, and uses them to turn on Mal'Ganis and kill him. Darion and his DKs help us escape, and afterward, he admits he's fucked up and that trying to go it alone without Tirion just won't work the closer they get to Icecrown Citadel. Players meet up with Darion and Tirion, where they talk, and the Ashen Verdict is established. For now, the player is sent off to the Plaguelands to fight the Scourge's assault there and the later ICC patch would see the new Ashen Verdict take the courtyard in front of the Icecrown Citadel, from which they will launch the assault against the Lich King.[*]The Plaguelands: I would start to set the trend that older zones will be revamped for higher level content when appropriate, while adjusting lower level zones to account for the change in the leveling flow. Both Plaguelands would be adjusted to serve as level-capped zones at the launch of the expansion. There would be dailies, some grinding for rep and fun toys, and story quests to introduce the various bosses that players would see in Naxxramas and even ICC, trying to either stop them or harass them, and ultimately driving them back to where ever we would eventually fight them. The Lich King has marshaled his forces within the Plaguelands and now the Horde, Alliance, Ebon Blade, and Argent Crusade must tackle their enemy here first. Naxxramas would float across both zones, slightly buffing Scourge forces in whichever zone it was in.[*]Western Plaguelands: After hitting cap, players would be ported to the Uther's Tomb, which has been fortified by the Argent Crusade as their main camp in the Western Plaguelands. Players would be directed to a number of locations to fight the Scourge – Lady Deathwhisper controls Andorhal and prepares to soon march on the Bulwark and into Tirisfal Glade. Professor Putricide has been sent to Scholomance to reanimate Darkmaster Gandling so that they can begin new experiments for the Scourge. Finally, the now dead Scarlet Crusaders in Hearthglen has been raised as a death knights by with the death knight Taelan Fordring as the commander of all Scourge forces in the Western Plaguelands. Players would do weekly story quests and daily quests in Andorhal, Caer Darrow, and Hearthglen to fight the Scourge forces. The story quests would end with players assisting Tirion in putting down his undead son with him mentioning that when all is said and done, he will return to Hearthglen to make it into a bastion of the Light in honor of his son's memory.[*]Eastern Plaguelands: Players are transported to Tyr's Hand, which has been taken by Argent Crusade as their main base of operations. To the west at Darrowshire, the Scourge has rebuilt it to rival even Deatholme. The Lich King has gone as far as to raise up the spirits of Darrowshire to serve the Scourge and with Redpath the Corrupted and Marduk Blackpool as its leaders. Players would be tasked to go to Carlin Repath at Crown Guard Tower, which has been reinforced by the Argent Crusade, and head to Darrowshire to kill Marduk and free Redpath's spirit. In Plaguewood, players would have their first encounters with Loatheb and Heigan the Unclean. Quel'Lithien Lodge would be overtaken by the Darkfallen and San'layn, their first and mysterious appearance to the players. The Scarlet Enclave would be overrun by the newest generation of death knights – this time trained by Instructor Razuvious and the Four Horsemen. Players would start from Acherus and get quests from the Ebon Blade to deal with them. Light's Hope Chapel would have a timed event every few hours where it be under attacked by waves of Scourge (rotating between 4 or 5 different themes, such as only death knights or only ghouls and skeletons, with each new event) and players would have to defend the Chapel for like 15 to 30 minutes. Successfully defending the chapel gives a zone-wide buff while losing the chapel would give a zone-wide debuff. Winning also would offer a unique quartermaster and certain rewards. Fungal Vale and Noxious Glade would both become seats of power for the undead Nerubians and players must kill them there. Corin's Crossing would rebuilt by the Scourge and from here, Gothik the Harvester, Noth the Plaguebringer, and the Cult of the Damned performs their own rituals to try and outdo the folks in Scholomance. In Terrordale and Terroweb Tunnel, players would try to (and fail) to stop Grand Widow Faerlina from corrupting and raising spiders and other crawly beasts to serve the Lich King's force in Naxxramas. Ultimately, the story quest would culminate to where it began – at Stratholme, where we would fight Kel'thuzad outside of it with the aid of the Kirin Tor's Khadgar, Rhonin, Kael'thas, and Jaina, who ultimately force the Archlich to retreat to Naxxramas.[*]Isle of Quel'danas: Would be introduced in the first raid patch with the Sunwell raid. The Shattered Sun Offensive would be seen here as an offshoot of the Argent Crusade specifically formed mostly by blood elves and high elves to retake the Sunwell from the Scourge. The Isle and Sunnwell is where we'd have our first major interactions with the San'layn/Darkfallen, including Blood-Queen Lana'thel, as we learn more about them and their role within the Scourge and how they came to be. The Quel'Delar story would play out here, as well.
DK Starting Zone:

Agreed. This is a good example of storytelling and showing off the power of the scourge. I'd change light of dawn somewhat so that when Darion was freed he helped Tirion and together they were able to overpower the Lich King and drive him away, albeit with injuries. The rest would play out. The Death Knights would be adrift trying to find their place in the world.

Borean Tundra: Pretty solid overall; You could even have it that the cult of the damned stoke the flames of the conflict trying to turn the foresaken and alliance against each other for the nerubian assault to curb stomp them.
The Alliance storyline would culminate in a showdown with Valanar atop Naaxanar: Thassarian facing him is epic from a lore perspective. The alliance soldiers would play a direct role; Valanar would be defeated with help from the players. The cult of the Damned would be crippled with the death of their leader. The Horde would take out the Nerubian tunnelers and kill their king.

Howling Fjord: Pretty good overall; no real objections to the storyline. It shows both the fight against the scourge and the peril both sides go through. I'd explore beforehand how both Alliance and Foresaken have tensions amongst them. Some on the foresaken want to work against the scourge with the alliance; others are all "fuck the living". On the alliance side there are similar disagreements. The more cool heads see that they need the foresaken's help in order to win. The more radical ashore contact with the undead. Things climax in a joint raid to take down Ymiron.

Dragonblight: No objection

Wrathgate: I'd keep Dranosh dead but otherwise I love this.

Grizzly Hills: Again I agree: I'd have the San'layn who only appear in the vision also appear as the main antagonists of the setting. In addition to Arugal we have to fight the San'layn

Zul'Drak: Again, not much issue. Same for the others really. Storm Peaks is by all accounts a damn good zone (often said to be one of the best questing zones)

Icecrown: Overall I really dig the idea of a massive recreation of Lordaeron's capital city in the heart of Icecrown. I don't think having Garithos is good, since his corpse was eaten by ghouls, but overall it's a cool idea. Than again Garithos's SOUL could be intact and he's basically Arthas's bitch. Kael'thas might meet Garithos's soul again, and we see the irony of the situation. Kael'thas is the one with power now over his former tormenter. One thing I'd add is that as part of the coup de grace both the alliance and horde use the newly created Mana Bombs to purge the rest of the city (or use it during the attack.) It's a terrible weapon, but it helps even the odds enough for victory to be achieved. The pseudo Lordaeron is taken and destroyed, but not without a lot of casualties. If Mal'ganis is around I'd have it that when he was defeated he was so badly beaten that even the legion lords failed to realize he was alive and in any case he only regained form after a couple years. Dread lords CAN come back after a powerful artifact (if the artifact isn't too potent) but it takes longer depending on potency. If a demon was slain by ash bringer they'd be dead for good. Skull of Gul'dan.....you MIGHT survive but the best you can hope for is reincarnating in ten years. Mal'ganis would have been out of action for 4 years or so, since Frostmourne was still just a fairly potent runeblade (it gained more power as it devoured more souls. If it was used NOW Mal'ganis would be fucked.) The stage would be set for the finale. After the whole Plaguelands are done with we come back and deal with the final three dungeons; pit of saron Hall of Reflection and Forge of Souls.

Plaguelands: Western part is fine, but I'd have it that the scourge are using the chaos of the undercity and increasing flare ups to launch an attack. The Plaguelands are being used as a launch point on Tirisifal glades, and from there they'll hope to sweep into the south. While Sylvannas's forces hold the line the Horde and Alliance must reluctantly work together. Ultimately the invasion is broken. First Andorhal is reclaimed from the Scourge, with Deathwhisper fleeing. Caer Darrow, than Hearthglen fall. In the East, I'd replace Kel'Thuzad with some other Lich; This guy is potent but is aware he has big shoes to fill since Kel'thuzad perished at the first battle of Light's Hope. He's under pressure to do well and hopes to succeed where Kel'thuzad failed. He's forced most of Naaxramus's personnel out into the open to do experiments for his own goals. Things culminate in a fight outside of stratholme, and finally conclude in Naaxramus. Darion and Grunn'holde (yeah I liked her so she survives in this) give advice on how to attack since they were the only two to survive the mission last time.

Quel'danas: In all honesty, I've decided Sunwell Plateau might work well after all, more as an attempt to stop Lana'thel (who has replaced Kel'thuzad as Arthas's second in command) from seizing the new sunwell for her master. I'd have it that the Draenei, High Elves, Blood Elves, and later Blue Dragonflight try to help create a new sunwell. Since Anveena has become a living being sacrificing her is off the table. They're making good progress, but the scourge have come to strike at Quel'danas before finishing the blood elves for good. Arthas's new second in command, Lana'thel, is the one leading the charge (Lana'thel is the most prominent scourge commander and I think a worthy replacement for Kel). Lana'thel wants to corrupt the new sunwell while it's being made and than launch an attack on Silvermoon. However, safeguards have been put in play. The raid is getting through the plateau (which I'd make a more outdoor kinda raid) to stop Lana'thel before the safeguards are overwhelmed. In the end, Anveena sacrifices herself (whether to push Lana'thel away or to stop the corruption from spreading) and we get a somber ending. Malygos has agreed to add his support to the project, making the hope of rebuilding more of a possibility.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:21 PM

Banished

@DerpiusMaximus, interesting. I would be happy if you continue.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:07 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi View Post
@DerpiusMaximus, interesting. I would be happy if you continue.
But I'm lazy
Old 04-21-2016, 10:01 PM

Arch-Druid

I had an idea for Mists of Pandaria; I always felt that this was better than Cataclysm in some ways. There was a clear storyline, and I felt the idea of a horde civil war could have worked.

You just needed to do a few things.

1.) Eliminate Theramoore. The Alliance already has reason to go to war, and having this negates the little bit of character development that Garrosh got in Cataclysm. Alternatively, you could TONE DOWN Theramoore. The Horde occupies the city but aside from strict curfews and marshal law, the citizens of Theramoore aren't particularly mistreated. No cartoonish acts of cruelty; just standard war time occupation. Jaina could be somewhat more hostile without being cartoonishly evil, and it allows us to have Khadgar as the head of

2.) Make Malkorok the main villain. Garrosh, i'd have him be struggling as the war progresses. He wants to lead the horde to a better tomorrow, but the war begins to go badly for him as the pandaria campaign progresses. Malkorok finds the legend of the sha, and plans to harness their power. Garrosh struggles with the idea, but ultimately refuses; he feels that drawing on the darkness of the sha is no better than drinking the blood of mannoroth. Malkorok and his followers amongst the Kor'Kron and city guard (which he has been infiltrating) launch a bloody coup; Garrosh is killed and the city of Orgrimmar is placed on lockdown. Realizing that inevitably the rest of the horde will come for him alongside the alliance, Malkorok sneaks into the vale of eternal blossoms and activates the heart of y'shaaj's power. In doing so he rallies the Klaaxi and Mantid to his banner, bolstering his forces. The Alliance, Horde forces and Panderan forces besiege Orgrimmar to dethrone Malkorok and end the coup. Malkorok is loosing control of the heart's power, and Y'Shaarj is reawakening.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:47 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
I had an idea for Mists of Pandaria; I always felt that this was better than Cataclysm in some ways. There was a clear storyline, and I felt the idea of a horde civil war could have worked.

You just needed to do a few things.

1.) Eliminate Theramoore. The Alliance already has reason to go to war, and having this negates the little bit of character development that Garrosh got in Cataclysm. Alternatively, you could TONE DOWN Theramoore. The Horde occupies the city but aside from strict curfews and marshal law, the citizens of Theramoore aren't particularly mistreated. No cartoonish acts of cruelty; just standard war time occupation. Jaina could be somewhat more hostile without being cartoonishly evil, and it allows us to have Khadgar as the head of

2.) Make Malkorok the main villain. Garrosh, i'd have him be struggling as the war progresses. He wants to lead the horde to a better tomorrow, but the war begins to go badly for him as the pandaria campaign progresses. Malkorok finds the legend of the sha, and plans to harness their power. Garrosh struggles with the idea, but ultimately refuses; he feels that drawing on the darkness of the sha is no better than drinking the blood of mannoroth. Malkorok and his followers amongst the Kor'Kron and city guard (which he has been infiltrating) launch a bloody coup; Garrosh is killed and the city of Orgrimmar is placed on lockdown. Realizing that inevitably the rest of the horde will come for him alongside the alliance, Malkorok sneaks into the vale of eternal blossoms and activates the heart of y'shaaj's power. In doing so he rallies the Klaaxi and Mantid to his banner, bolstering his forces. The Alliance, Horde forces and Panderan forces besiege Orgrimmar to dethrone Malkorok and end the coup. Malkorok is loosing control of the heart's power, and Y'Shaarj is reawakening.
I am glad I am not the only one who Saw Maklorok as being bigger than he is.

I had something simlar to this but with a bit more leadup:

For example, when Garrosh replies to magatha in The Shattering-his reply is that he will send Orcish Warrriors to Reinforce the City. He doesn't tell her they're not to ward the rebels off. Magatha is then locked in Irons when they overtake the City (more on this later)

Things progress mostly as normal from there on, but then Malkorok enters the Scene.

The same events progress only Malkorok plays the Shady Vizier role a little harder. Garrosh likes his ideas but then seeing the plans in action (Raising the Elementals and using the sea beasts) sort of make him scratch his head a bit.

Then comes Thereamore.Instead of being the Mastermind, Garrosh is not privvy to the bombing plan. When told to wait until he is ready, Garrosh is wondering why Malkorok is taking so long ,and having to try and get the leaders from breathing down his neck-his guy has it handled so it's no big but damn he better hurry up.

Then He says fuckit and attacks the town to drive the Alliance from the shore as he wanted, then during the fight the retreat horn is sounded, and the Bomb is dropped. Garrosh has mixed feelings about this but he cannot place them for the moment.

Things then proceed normally untill Krassarang Invasion, where up till then, Makorok has been trying to sell Garrosh on this Sha power stuff and Garrosh was algain, not having any of it. Too close to Demon Blood nonsense. Makorok is not happy.

He looks for alternatives and finds it in the flesh shaping power used by the Mogu-tells Garrosh of a wellspring of power that will make his troops stronger. Then Vol'jin shows up unannounced and Garrosh gets an Idea-Take Vol'jin with him and see this power for himself.

Natrually, he finds out it's flesh shaping evil nasty shit and Gets pretty pissed-It was clear Malkorok was trying to twist his arm again. He'd have to deal with that....But then he gets shanked by assassins that have been stalking them for the entire scenario (instead of them being right by your side) and you and Vol'jin fight them off. Vol'jin takes the Dying Garrosh to the nearby Village and tells you to wait for further instruction but to try and play things cool.

Garrosh and Vol'jin then go off on Magical Pandaria adventures of "Learning how to be less shitty of an Orc and Leader" and learns all the lovely happy feely shit that all of Pandaria's Parable stories were meant to teach (Because honestly half the Horde side content meant to impart any lesson were practically Foils to Garrosh)

Things then proceed up untill 5.3 (with Malkorok taking over as De-facto warcheif back in Orgrimmar and being the one to instigate the Shit with the bell and whatnot in Garrosh's absence)

When SOO patch hits, Malkorok takes the Heart and shit and everything goes bannanas and that's when Garrosh and Vol'jin think it's high time to show the fuck back up. Garrosh, having learned all the good shit(trademark) Extends an invitation to Varian to take his city Back (Malkorok would never expect that He, Garrosh, would ever request for help, least of all from a Human.)

Interaction ensues,Everyone is surprise because holy shit they thought you were dead, Garrosh and Varian Bicker because they're That Couple and then SOO goes like normal only instead of Garrosh you have Malkorok and Instead of Malkorok you have Magatha-who was offered sweet sweet Old God Powers if she and her surviving Grimtotem did Malkorok a Solid.

They take back the city, get the Human survivors, Garrosh and Varian Fist Bump and have a Bro moment and Everyone goes home.

It's more or less a Garrosh Redemption arch because I recently realized even after all this time I'm still upset with how he was a writer's convenience and never was allowed to grow.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Sentinel Queen

Classic:

Instead of the Vanilla Experience I would propose the following.

Sole starting continent Kalimdor, and the night elves form their own faction (Cenarion Circle) instead of being with the Alliance.

Factions, their capitals and races:

I. Alliance:
Capital Theramore(about as big as current Stormwind), minor capital Bael Modan
Races: Humans, High Elves, Wild Hammer Dwarves (the refugees of Lordaeron)

II. Cenarion Circle:
Capital: Nighthaven, Timbermaw Hold
Races: Night Elves, Furbolg, Worgen

III. Horde:
Capital: OG, Thunder Bluff
Races: Tauren, Orcs, Trolls

Classes with viable specs from the beginning. Also no faction specific classes though every Alliance race my choose Paladins, every Circle race Druid and every Horde race Shaman with only one race in each of the other factions being able to play that class. (Wildhammer Shaman+Druid, Trolls Paladin, Tauren Druid, Furbolg Shaman, Night Elf Paladin - just name them differently for the lore; for example Night Elf Paladins would be Guardians of Elune's Light and Troll Paladins Hex Wardens of the Sun Hawk Loa)

Kalimdor would be as big as both Vanilla continents combined but far more sparsely tamed/settled. While WoW is bleak it would be even bleaker and showing that all factions were survivors/refugees of both the devastation in the Eastern Kingdoms and the Legion invasion.

II. Instead of BC we would have Wrath
Explanation: Lordaeron would be lost to Forsaken/Scourge and frankly nobody should know the difference between them. While liberating it might be a goal it would just cost ressources not avaible and further needed to stop the Scourge.

Thus Northrend would be the next step and instead of a new class every faction would recruit a new race. (Maybe Gnomes who settled in Northrend for the Alliance, the Tuskarr for the Circle and the Wolvar for the Horde)
The Lichking would be Arthas+Nerzhul and not Arthas alone. Lorewise it would be fitting for Jaina to kill him thus making up for not stopping Arthas in Stratholme. Malygos would aid in this as well as the other "good" dragonflights instead of dividing ressources even more.

III. Would be a combination of Cata and Retaking of the Eastern Kingdoms.
I like three factions since I played DAOC before WoW but I understand the appeal of undead. Likewise I am tired of the Lordaeron debate so whether the factions retake Lordaeron and help Quel'Thalas and Kaz Modan or that the Blood Elves, Sylvanas Undead and her enslaved Ogres form their own faction is the same for me but one of the two options should happen. DKs would be implemented then, as following the study of the Scourge to bolster the poor and broken factions (yes, with emphasis, they should be almost broken after the efforts in Northrend) and they need to compromise with lesser evils.

Stormwind would be gone by then, ruled as a puppet of the Black Dragonflight as well as the Dark Horde. Deathwing would never become a generic doomsday villain but remain a puppeteer.

IV. BC
Instead of dealing with insane Illidan/Evil Kael'thas we would come to their aid and that of Alleria/Turalyon/Khadgar who would fight the Legion in Outland together. That would add Demon Hunters for every faction and end with the fight against Kil'jaeden in Shadowmoon Valley.

V. Pandaria
Instead of just Pandaren for every faction Jinyu would join Alliance, Pandaren Horde and Yaungol the Circle (the latter would be far more noble than the savages in Mists). The Old Gods would make their appearence here in force and that would see the end of the different doomsday cults like the Twilight Hammer.

VI. South Seas
This would add the Monks from Pandaria for every race and deal with the Old God - Naga connection and we would help the Zandalari fend off Queen Azshara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:01 PM

Arch-Druid

So I have a rough idea for Cataclysm

Cataclysm

This would take place shortly after the Cataclysm itself strikes. The Cataclysm itself would have taken place a few years after Wrath ended. There wasn't any outbreak of war immediately, but only because both sides needed to regroup somewhat after the war against arthas's forces (this is so that both sides can rebuild their populations). There's a lot of low level guerrilla shit that both sides are supporting on the sly. The alliance is supporting the Lordaeron reclamation guerrillas (lordaeroni survivors who want the foresaken gone and Calia Menethil's restoration), unofficially of course. The Foresaken are strengthening their claims in Strom'garde, assassinating Galen Trollbane and gaining the upper hand against the league of arathor. This has recently graduated into open warfare, since the destruction of so much during the shattering has lowered the amount of resources, which in the hordes case has combined with the cutting off of trade the alliance has put on as puntitive measures. Aside from the Goblin and Worgen starting stories, I would focus more on updating the regions that existed. Deicide suggested focusing on revamping. At launch we get just the revamped materials, and a few storylines focusing on the war that's going on, while others like the Earthen Ring, Kirin Tor, Explorer's Guild and Reliquary are focusing on trying to stop the Elemental incursions and Deathwing's evil diabolical plans. First they need to take out the elemental incursions and restabilize the barriers between the Elemental Planes and the Material realm; then they must access the Twilight Highlands (which have been sealed off for the time being with a massive barrier of earth.) Fortunately there are Elementals that are on the side of the angels (they don't seek to be dominated by the Old Gods, remembering a time when they were free of their master's commands.) The heroes must join forces with these elementals and build an army in order to stop Deathwing.

Opening Raids: Blackwing Descent and Baradin hold: Blackwing Descent involves sneaking past enemy lines and attacking the Blackwing Descent to shut down the project of the chromatic dragonflight

Patch 4.1: Rage of the Firelands

Faction: Cenarion Circle

Prior to the Cataclysm, the Cenarion Circle had come to help heal the damaged lands of Searing Gorge and Burning Steppes. Now, with the rise of the Cataclysm, Ragnaros the Firelord is using the area as a gateway to attack the kingdoms of Stormwind and Ironforge. The Cenarion Circle and the Alliance has held off the Firelord’s assaults for now, but unless decisive action is taken they may be overwhelmed.

Raid: The Firelands: Ragnaros has been driven back into his home dimension. The time is now. Strike him before he can regroup, and in doing so sunder the fire army.

Patch 4.2: Into the Earth

Faction: Earthen Ring

This introduces the Deepholme raid, and the heroes of Azeroth must venture into Deepholme in order to begin the process of stabilizing the barrier. Deepholme opens up, and the players do various quests. The Earthen Elements are in state of upheaval. Therazane remembers the bitterness of slavery to the old gods and is determined to never again obey them. The Twilight's hammer and Deathwing are sending forces to overthrow Therazane. The heroes must thwart this and defeat the Twilight's hammer. We get the quests to support Therazane and undermine the twilight’s hammer and the elements that support them.

Raid: Deepholme: Here we go up against various Twilight Hammer forces, and Earth Elementals that seek to side with the Old Gods. Include Morchokk. This culminates in a showdown with General Erudax, the leader of the Faceless forces sent by the Twilight's hammer. In the end, Erudax is defeated, the twilight hammer supporting faction of the elementals is defeated, and Therazane allows the mortals to rebuild the world pillar or whatever will help stabilize the boundaries.

Patch 4.3: Secrets of Ulduar

Faction: Explorer’s Guild; Reliquary

With the Deepholme side of the rift repaired, the heroes of Azeroth leave Deepholme and head into Uldum; There they get involved in the Tol’vir Neferset War, and later venture deep into Uldum, hoping for more information on how to stop the Old Gods. At the same time, the Air Elementals of Al’Akir are threatening things and stirring up trouble. This is the first full fledged zone of Cataclysm, rather than a revamping of an existing zone. It’s Uldum, built up for years. It deserves justice. The heroes thwart the Twilight’s hammer, and Neferset. They venture into Uldum, learning more details of the war with the Titans and the Old Gods. We find out the things established in chronicles (the exact number of old gods) and also learn that Uldum was also one of several research stations meant to find a way to destroy the old gods WITHOUT killing Azeroth. A Draenei volunteers to talk to the Naaru, revealing that the Naaru have also encountered the old ones, and may have information to share with them (since you can only solve a puzzle with all pieces.) This sets up a plot point for the future expansion where the heroes must face N’Zoth and end him for good.

Raid: Once more, things culminate in a showdown in the Realm of the Elements. This time, the challenge is greater. Al’Akir, though the weakest of the elemental lords, is still stronger than General Erudax. It will take all the cunning, strength, courage and skill to triumph over the windlord and his immediate successors (the goal is to create such a civil war amongst the air elementals that the heroes can rebuild the barriers without interference.)

Patch 4.4: The Abyssal Maw

Faction: Kirin Tor

With the Skywall stabilized the Kirin Tor are launching a mission into the Abyssal Maw in order to reinforce Neptulon, who is under siege by the Naga. During the Throne of the Tides dungeon Neptulon is abducted by Ozumat. The heroes must venture into the Abyssal Maw to save Neptulon from the clutches of the Old Gods. They are ultimately successful in freeing Neptulon; Neptulon agrees to lend his forces against the Old Gods when the time comes, eager to get revenge.

Raid: Abyssal Maw: The old gods forces have abducted Neptulon and seek to break him to their will. You must fight your way past the naga in the abyssal maw, as well as the dark forces of N’Zoth and free Neptulon. Culminates in a vicious face off with Neptulon, corrupted by the Black Blood of N’Zoth. Hydraaxis takes control of the realm of water and absorbs Neptulon’s power. He agrees to send forces to help the heroes when the time is right

Patch 4.5: Hour of Twilight:

New Region: Twilight Highlands:

With the aid of the earthen elementals the armies of Azeroth have shattered the barrier that Neltharion has risen around the highlands. What lies beyond the wall

Dungeons: Caverns of Time: Even with the army that has been amassed, Deathwing himself presents an almost insurmountable obstacle; his considerable powers have been amplified by the Old Gods, making him almost unstoppable. Only a weapon such as the Dragon Soul can tip the odds against the Destroyer and give the coalition a hope of defeating the Dark Dragon.

End Time
Well of Eternity
Hour of Twilight

Raid: Bastion of Twilight:

This is it. The Twilight’s hammer is making it’s final stand, and has prepared to unleash it’s massive army of twilight and chromatic dragons on the world in order to usher in the Hour of Twilight and flood over the world of Azeroth. Thanks to the intervention of Therazane, Hydraaxis, and the Dragonflights the Earthen Ring, Kirin Tor, Guardians of Hyjal and other neutral factions are able to match the Twilight Army; while the forces of Azeroth clash with the forces of the Twilight’s Hammer the adventurers must enter the bastion and destroy the breeding facilities for the Twilight Dragonflight and Chromatic Dragonflight, while also destroying the leadership of the Twilight’s Hammer. It all culminates in a massive battle with Deathwing the Destroyer; ultimately Deathwing is defeated and cast down, consumed by the combined power of the aspects and the dragon soul. The Twilight’s Hammer is overrun and for the most part put to the sword during the battle. The forces of Azeroth have won, but the Old gods are still out there, and will most certainly try again.

Deathwing I’d have him be an epic three phase showdown. The first phase is against him in his human form. Then he’d take to the skies, forcing the heroes to pursue him and bring him down. Eventually, Deathwing will crash into the Twilight Highlands, creating a massive crater. There, the heroes must face the Destroyer in a final showdown; Deathwing has gone completely feral and must be stopped.

So that's my rough idea of how Cataclysm should have gone down. Ulduar would have had the heroes get their hands on the research and hopefully be the genesis to a weapon that would purge the old gods from azeroth. I'm not totally satisfied with the order in which the elementals got fought but honestly I think it's a good idea.

I'll try and follow with mists
Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Mists of Pandaria.....in the parts related to native Pandaria the questing seemed pretty cool. The Mantid fighting each other, the Sha being unleashed by the war, the mogu trying to reclaim glory.....those were fine ideas.

I'd make a few key changes to it overall.

1.) Either eliminate Theramoore or tone it the fuck down. If Theramoore is attacked the horde simply occupies it like any other city. They don't go out of their way to brutalize the inhabitants but the city is very much under lockdown. It could be construed as villainous but gives the orcs dignity.

2.) Redo Dagger in the Dark and A little patience.

Dagger in the Dark: Garrosh has been approached about using Sha and Mogu magic. Garrosh, despite wanting to win the war, is hesitant. He doesn't like the alliance, but using Dark magic is a price even he's reluctant to use. Eventually, we get to the flesh well thing used on the saurok in dagger in the dark. Vol'jin manages to persuade Garrosh to come with him and see what this is. Garrosh is disgusted by the implications and finally stands up. Unfortunately it turns out that Mal'korok has bribed the Kor'kron escorts, who immediately turn on you and try to murder you. Garrosh is badly injured, but you and Vol'jin manage to kill the attackers. Vol'jin realizes that you still need to be in Malkorok's good graces for now, so to fool Malkorok he cuts off his hand (trolls regenerate). He and Garrosh (still out of it) leave and go underground. You present the hand to Malkorok and convince him that you helped the assassins take out Garrosh and Vol'jin. Malkorok is skeptical but believes the story.

Divine Bell: Malkorok takes Garrosh's place researching the Sha. He also starts digging for the vault of Y'Shaarj. He strong-arms certain elements of the Sunreavers into helping with the theft. Things largely progress the same, but Jaina isn't leader of the Kirin Tor. She wants her city back, but that's it.

Battlefield Barrens: Largely in canon, show many orcs getting fed up with Malkorok's leadership (one possible solution is that Malkorok is becoming more xenophobic against tauren trolls forsaken goblins blood elves and pandaran). Unfortunately, at this time Malkorok finally finds the Heart of Y'Shaarj. Garrosh enters into negotiations with the Alliance; he agrees to pull back the ashenvale troops and pull out of Theramoore. However, he still wants places like Azshara, and wants a more limited Alliance presence in the Barrens.

Siege of Orgrimmar: Garrosh (who has been going on a journey of reflection and discovery, and has mellowed out considerably) publicly reveals Malkorok's treachery; most of the orcs who were undecided defect from Malkorok's camp putting the city on Lockdown. Malkorok realizes the odds are turning against him, so he sneaks into the Vale of Eternal Blossoms and activates the Heart's power. Due to his hatred and force of will Malkorok bends the heart to his will. This then attracts the Klaaxi and mantid to his banner, bolstering his forces. Several disillusioned Mogu clans also flock to his banner (maybe). We get the siege of orgrimmar but with changes. Zeala and the Dragonmaw are replaced with another boss (maybe Mogu). Malkorok's spot gets taken by.....Magatha. Malkorok has reached out to her and secured her loyalty by offering to share the power of the heart of Y'Shaarj. Instead he uses it to bend her to his will and make her and her grimtotem guard the Underhold. Malkorok is the final boss, and he plays out like Garrosh did in the original final boss fight.

End cutscene. Malkorok lies defeated on the ground. Garrosh is ready to kill him. Varian blocks the blow, saying that Malkorok's fate is not his alone to decide. Taran Zhu takes Malkorok away in chains. Garrosh and Varian have a standoff, where Garrosh is asked if he will keep his word. Garrosh hesitates.....but ultimately says that a deal's a deal. The conflict is over and both sides simply want to rebuild.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:38 PM

Eternal

I really like these ideas, especially the use of Malkorok being built as the new big bad and introducing him much earlier in Cata.

I think I'd still have Garrosh something of an ass. Not responsible for some of the greater tragedies perhaps, but his mindset and actions allow for something terrible to grow within the Horde and in the orcs specifically. But it's not until he sees what Malkorok has done, what he has allowed to fester and grow within the Horde, that realizes he's fucked up and starts to try to change his ways and mindset.

Last edited by DerpiusMaximus; 05-06-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 PM

Arch-Druid

I was kinda going for that. Garrosh is kinda a jerk but not as bad in canon. He's against the alliance, but he treats those with the horde (the blood elves, foresaken etc) as equals. Being put in a position where he has to choose whether to use dark magic is one of the signs that forces him to reevaluate his actions.

Bashiok said (I think) that one of the reasons orcs defected was because while they hated the alliance they considered the tauren etc family. So when Garrosh went after them it finally clicked that Garrosh was nuts. That idea actually works. It allows a heel turn without being cliche.

With Garrosh it was while on the run he meets the Celestials and is sent on the journey to learn about Shaohao. He's reluctant but Vol'jin persuades him to at least try to keep an open mind.

Garrosh ultimately comes to understand balance; he realizes that while his desire to restore the orcs sense of pride was commendable, it's becoming twisted into something ugly. He finally realizes what Varok was trying to say about his past sins years ago; that you can't ignore the ugly parts of your past.

This ties in with the Sha of Pride and how Pride is the most dangerous. On one hand, it's okay to be proud of your accomplishments. However, that can be twisted into something ugly and dark.

Garrosh finally comes to realize that you can find balance between trying to do what's best for your people without being a heartless dickcheese. He realizes that he needs to act in order to stop Malkorok from leading the people down the path of darkness.

When he comes out and reveals himself, he talks about all he learned in Pandaria and denounces Malkorok as a traitor. This prompts most of what remain undecided to defect from Malkorok. Some of Malkorok's OTHER actions (attempting to destroy Theramoore as a "screw you", instituting harsher policies on the Tauren and Trolls) prompts orcs who were previously behind the war effort to become increasingly uneasy. After all, theramoore was captured in a fair siege and with military conduct. Malkorok's action is dishonorable.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:50 AM

Eternal

Oh man, where to start.

Faction Defection would be a thing. Most player races would align with either the Horde or Alliance for starting experiences, but after those experiences you'd have opportunities to join other factions. Which is where other non-aligned factions would come into play as options for players to join, like the Argent Dawn and the Twilight's Hammer. That being said, I'd have had a neutral starting experience for certain races from the start, like goblins. Starting from a neutral race would make defection easier, but only particular races have the option.

Player Housing would be a thing, but more in line with the Sunsong Ranch and the garrison. Each expansion would involve the character establishing their base of operations, where they'd have craftsmen and other followers to do work for them. I'd even go the extra mile and have this be a mobile app that players could work with when not logged into the game. There's a way to strike a balance between Sunsong Ranch and the Garrison in terms of how much it sequesters the player from the community, so if you start this concept from classic and iterate on it throughout the expansions, you get to something that probably isn't as divisive as how garrisons turned out in WoD.

Zone flexibility (essentially questing zones scaling in such a way that you can do them in any order, a la Legion) really needed to be a thing from the start. It helps replayability, it helps emphasize zone narratives, and if zones have a capstone event take place in a dungeon or scenario, having the opportunity to build to that event throughout a zone's story makes the event more impactful. Drakuru's narrative through Grizzly Hills, Drak'tharon Keep, and Zul'Drak is a great example of this. As an aside, having more zone narratives tie up in a group event of some kind (imagine the Battle of Darrowshire as a scenario that tied up EPL questing) would help to reinforce group content as the endgame and prime the pump for raiding.

Raid attunement doesn't need to be an overly laborious process, because attunement can be a great way to ensure that characters start with a certain baseline of gear before setting foot in the raid, and that helps encounter design. As a bonus, if you waive attunement after the current tier is replaced, you can make farming earlier content more convenient over time.

In addition, you'd have the "reinforcements" function as the raid tier gets older, where players get a progressive buff (from 5-30% additional damage and health) to help them down the bosses. Downing enemies without the buff gives an advantage for getting elite loot, but if taking the buff is the choice between getting some loot or no loot at all, it'll give raid leaders more flexibility instead of banging their heads against content. This wouldn't kick in until weeks after the raid is completely unlocked, so it wouldn't impact the world first race, but is chiefly there to let F&F and beer-league teams get through the content.

Ugh, god, there's so much. I haven't even scratched story changes.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Tags
alternate possibilities, better ideas, blood and thunder, expac, thrall's balls, world of warcraft