Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Medivh Ask me your Chronicle Vol 1. Questions


Kinda wasn't seeing this coming, but hey, figure I could try to fuel the hype train a bit more by answering some questions soooooooo yeah.

Hit me up.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Last edited by Shaman; 03-18-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Orb of Fire

The Elemental Lords: go crow!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:48 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
The Elemental Lords: go!
Short version: They fought each other for funsies, then got beaten into the service of the Old Gods, and then got schooled by the Titan-created proxy armies.

It's then specifically Ra and Helya who created the Elemental Plane as a pocket dimension in which to seal the elemental lords... a process which was inspired by Sargeras' creation of Mardum as a prison for the demons he conquered.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,854

Default

What can you tell me about goblin origins, wild gods and gnomes, if there is any gnome lore?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Short version: They fought each other for funsies, then got beaten into the service of the Old Gods, and then got schooled by the Titan-created proxy armies.

It's then specifically Ra and Helya who created the Elemental Plane as a pocket dimension in which to seal the elemental lords... a process which was inspired by Sargeras' creation of Mardum as a prison for the demons he conquered.
What else do we know about Uldum and Ulduar from the book?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
What can you tell me about goblin origins, wild gods and gnomes, if there is any gnome lore?
Nothing yet, but I'll keep you posted. Less than 40 pages in so far.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,277

Default

Any non-biographical lore on the watchers and keepers? Blizzard recently nailed down "titanic watchers" as their name, but in the preview they use "titan-forged." Is that significant or just another rename?
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,854

Default

Also, page 36.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Ratatosk Ratatosk is offline

Eternal
Ratatosk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: The Lost Woods
Posts: 3,575

Default

IGoD is also talking about stuff in the Legion thread for anyone who hasn't seen that.

Mister Crow is there anything about the Emerald Dream that we didn't know before?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,030
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Anything about the human kingdoms that we didn't already know? I wouldn't mind knowing more details about Gilneas and Stromgarde specifically.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Yorenec Yorenec is offline

Arch-Druid
Yorenec's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,228
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Default

Everything about the Light.

What is the nature of it? How does it work?

All that good stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Azurehax Azurehax is offline

Arch-Druid
Azurehax's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,368

Default

Kingdoms and stuff probably won't go into much in this volume.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:08 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
What else do we know about Uldum and Ulduar from the book?
The primary purpose for these locations were centered on the Forge of Wills (for creating more constructs for the purposes of safeguarding Azeroth) and the Forge of Origination (which directly regulated the planet's life-force while also having the re-origination failsafe built in).

Ulduar was situated over Yogg-Saron principally because he was the last OG defeated. Uldum wasn't intended to be a prison complex, but Ra patrolled it, Ahn'Qiraj (C'thun's prison) and the Vault of Y'shaarj (where the remains of Y'shaarj were kept) simultaneously.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Ratatosk Ratatosk is offline

Eternal
Ratatosk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: The Lost Woods
Posts: 3,575

Default

So AQ isn't considered part of Uldum anymore?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Quirnheim Quirnheim is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 4,850
BattleTag: kam#1475

Default

anything on pandaria/mogu/more on ra-den?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Fuck your dumb gamergate shit I'd rather be pegged by Sylvanas than read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
The primary purpose for these locations were centered on the Forge of Wills (for creating more constructs for the purposes of safeguarding Azeroth) and the Forge of Origination (which directly regulated the planet's life-force while also having the re-origination failsafe built in).

Ulduar was situated over Yogg-Saron principally because he was the last OG defeated. Uldum wasn't intended to be a prison complex, but Ra patrolled it, Ahn'Qiraj (C'thun's prison) and the Vault of Y'shaarj (where the remains of Y'shaarj were kept) simultaneously.
Any word on Uldaman's purpose?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Any non-biographical lore on the watchers and keepers? Blizzard recently nailed down "titanic watchers" as their name, but in the preview they use "titan-forged." Is that significant or just another rename?
I don't want to spoil everything about them, but the core thing is that we're seeing a lot of the Keepers working in tandem when nothing ever hinted at that before.

Archaedas from Uldaman, as well as Thorim, Loken, Freya, Hodir, Tyr, and Mimiron from Ulduar, are mentioned as cooperating with Ra (Ra-Den) and Odyn. So there's definitely work being done to communicate that all of these Keepers were part of the same force.

Interestingly, the actual Halls of Origination bosses (Rajh, Ammunae, Setesh, and Isiset) are not name-dropped in the same way. (At least, not yet.)

To more directly answer the question, the Keepers are the constructs imbued with aspects of the Titans themselves, and tasked with securing Azeroth against the Old Gods. The "titan-forged" is a catch-all term for all of the Titan-created constructs produced by the Forge of Wills who work with the Keepers, which includes the anubisath, the tol'vir, the earthen, the mogu, the vrykul, the mechagnomes, and the stone/sea giants.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Insane Guy of Doom Insane Guy of Doom is offline

Time-Lost Proto Nerd
Insane Guy of Doom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I don't want to spoil everything about them, but the core thing is that we're seeing a lot of the Keepers working in tandem when nothing ever hinted at that before.

Archaedas from Uldaman, as well as Thorim, Loken, Freya, Hodir, Tyr, and Mimiron from Ulduar, are mentioned as cooperating with Ra (Ra-Den) and Odyn. So there's definitely work being done to communicate that all of these Keepers were part of the same force.

Interestingly, the actual Halls of Origination bosses (Rajh, Ammunae, Setesh, and Isiset) are not name-dropped in the same way. (At least, not yet.)

To more directly answer the question, the Keepers are the constructs imbued with aspects of the Titans themselves, and tasked with securing Azeroth against the Old Gods. The "titan-forged" is a catch-all term for all of the Titan-created constructs produced by the Forge of Wills who work with the Keepers, which includes the anubisath, the tol'vir, the earthen, the mogu, the vrykul, the mechagnomes, and the stone/sea giants.
I'm not exactly sure on that, since the term "Titan Forged" is used before the forges are built. I think it also includes the keeper "race," since there are the main keepers created by the pantheon, and but there are other lesser keepers just referred to as Titan Forged such as Helya.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Quirnheim Quirnheim is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Canada
Posts: 4,850
BattleTag: kam#1475

Default

I wish they'd tell us where Ra-den is now

I just imagine him chilling in Pandaria with the mogu serving him drinks by Krasrang's beaches or something like "fuck this I ain't doing any more work"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Fuck your dumb gamergate shit I'd rather be pegged by Sylvanas than read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Ratatosk Ratatosk is offline

Eternal
Ratatosk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: The Lost Woods
Posts: 3,575

Default

Yeah I had assumed Ra died in MoP but was told a while back he didn't, so where the heck is he now?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Kromash Kromash is offline

Arch-Druid
Kromash's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Maelstrom
Posts: 1,196
BattleTag: DeadHank#1975

Default

So Ra wasn't THAT important after all? And Odyn was Tyr superior.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nazgrim
Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Shadowsong Shadowsong is offline

Eternal
Shadowsong's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,716

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromash View Post
So Ra wasn't THAT important after all? And Odyn was Tyr superior.
Ra is important though. He killed the most powerful old god with his mogu creations and created the elemental planes. Odyn was just the leader but I wouldn't say that makes everything.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
IGoD is also talking about stuff in the Legion thread for anyone who hasn't seen that.

Mister Crow is there anything about the Emerald Dream that we didn't know before?
Umm... there is definitely something about the Dream that I don't think we knew before.

I don't want to give EVERYTHING in the book away, but the chief takeaway is that the Emerald Dream does seem to be tied to Azeroth in a very particular way. My previous theories about the Dream potentially being a subreal dimension (as was implied by that Cosmos image from the preview) are decidedly disproven by the explanation given here.

To set one thing straight though, here's an order of operations for you:

1) Old Gods land on Azeroth and enslave the Elemental Lords.
2) Titans come, install the titan-forged, and lay the smacketh down. C'thun, N'zoth, and Yoggy are all imprisoned, and Y'shaarj is killed. As a consequence of this, the Well of Eternity is created.
3) The Forges are built, the Emerald Dream is tapped for the first time, and the Wild Gods spring forth from the places where the Well's energies coalesce, including Sholozar, Un'goro, and the VoEB. Freya links the Wild Gods with the Dream.

More to come, obviously.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Kromash Kromash is offline

Arch-Druid
Kromash's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Maelstrom
Posts: 1,196
BattleTag: DeadHank#1975

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Ra is important though. He killed the most powerful old god with his mogu creations and created the elemental planes. Odyn was just the leader but I wouldn't say that makes everything.
True, true.

Dude's a shaman enthusiast and forgot Ra created the elemental planes.

Swear to god I think I have Alzheimer's.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nazgrim
Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,854

Default

What about the pre-troll Loa? Are they Wild Gods too, like we've been hypothesising, or are they something else?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
azeroth, chronicle, everybody's dead dave., lore, titans, warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.