Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman Warcraft IV Ideas Thread

Ok so a thread so we can create factions, units, and all of that fun jazz for a Warcraft IV.

This idea was copied over from a PM I wrote so I don't think the quality of writing is that great.

The main group I've been thinking about are the Dwarves(because they are my favorite). I think they have enough to build on that could make them a faction. Some other groups could be united Troll tribes, all the Human kingdoms.

Between the 3 clans they have a lot of different thematics(probably the most of any race in WoW, even more than the Trolls I'd say). You could even throw in the Gnomes to give them even more, but I opted not to do that because I wanted to focus on the Dwarves.

In Warcraft 3 TFT(which I am basing everything off of) each race was pretty similar, but they all had different quirks like the undead and blight and summoning buildings, or Night Elves and moveable buildings. They all had around the same number of units, I think it was 1 worker, 4 heroes, 11 units, and some summonable units. They also had a similar amount of buildings, but this is where they varied the most. Each race had 3 tiers to their main building, and then could build more at each level they had researched. They also had a couple of upgrade buildings(like the Blacksmith), and then around 4 unit training buildings.

So, for the Dwarves I was thinking of ways to make them unique and my idea was to make the way they tech different. Rather than having 3 different levels to their main building, they would get their units and tech depending on how they specialized their main structure.

At the beginning of the game the Dwarves would start with a simple Hold(CC)(it would be directly on top of the gold mine) and the normal amount of miners(workers). With just a normal hold they can build buildings that are open to all tech paths like an Altar of Titans(hero building), Forge, and Bunker, but they can't build buildings that create units.

Early in the game the player would decide what tech path they wanted to go down, and they would upgrade their Hold into a Bronzebeard Hold, a Dark Iron Hold, or a Wildhammer Hold.

Depending on what they chose would open up units to them that are a part of the tech path that they chose. If they went Bronzebeard they would get Bronzebeard units, but wouldn't be able to make Dark Iron or Wildhammer units until they made another Hold, and upgraded it into the respective Hold.

Hero Units wouldn't be tied down to certain tech paths. So if you went Dark Iron your guys could still be lead by a Mountain King, or if you went Wildhammer your guys could still be lead by a Sorcerer Thane.

One problem that I am running into with this idea is that some really powerful units could be available really early, so I'd have to think of ways to keep Golems, or Tanks from from coming out early even though they are part of Dark Iron and Bronzebeard tech respectively.

Another is that I am having trouble giving them a realistic balance of buildings. I can't give every tech path 2 buildings because that would mean there'd be 6 buildings in total which is 2 more than the other races.

Units

As for Units, I have 11ish concepts as well as 3 heroes and a worker thought up so far.

The worker would be a miner, could have 3 different skins, 1 for each clan.

The hero ideas so fare are:
  • Mountain King: He's the same as in Warcraft 3. Would of course be Bronzebeard.
  • Sorcerer Thane: He'd be a Dark Iron sorcerer that rides a golem. He'd be like a Destruction Warlock or a Fire Mage.
  • Gryphon Shaman: I don't really have a good idea of what he or she would be but I'm pretty sure it'd be support like the Paladin, so that Dwarves could have a hero to heal the Mountain King. It would have some gryphon thematics and could probably ride around on one for an ult. Maybe also summon some to fight in an ability.
  • The last hero would be an Explorer's League inspired Runemaster. He or she would be an archeologist who's become I powered thought their studies of the Titans.

So every race has 2 tier 1 units, one is a melee guy and the other a ranged guy. I think only the Night Elves differing this. As the Dwarves have 3 different techs they would each need a different tier one soldier. I think it would waste too much space to give each clan a ranged and melee unit, so they each only have 1.

The Bronzebeard's unit isn't the Rifleman, but rather the Iron Guard. He'd be a 3 food unit like the Grunt, but he'd be a lot tougher at the expense of some speed and attack.

The Dark Iron's unit would be a ranged unit like the Rifleman of Warcraft 3. I don't really want to make Dwarves 2 food so he'd be 3.

The Wildhammer guy would be a mid ranged fighter like the Night Elf Huntress. He'd be pretty fast, and more of a raider that a frontline fighter. I'm thinking that he could combine with a Gryphon to create Gryphon Riders.

Bronzebeard
For the Bronzebeards these are the other units I think would be good for them to go along with the Iron Guard.

The first would be a Ram Rider. I don't want him to be the Dwarven Knight, so I think he'd be around the same strength level of an Iron Guard, be 3 or 4 food, and cost a little more. Because they ride mountain rams I think they could have an ability like cliff jumping and or a charge like ability.

The next would be the Mortor Team which would be pretty much they same as Warcraft 3.

The last Bronzebeard unit would be the Siege Tank or Steam Engine. It would be a lot stronger than it was in Warcraft 3, something like 6 food like the Stone Giant and Undead Dragon. It would have a melee building attack, and a cannon attack against other units. I'm thinking that in order to attack other units with it's cannon it would have to siege up.

Dark Iron

Sniper.

The second Dark Iron unit would be the Assassin, or maybe some other name. Basically, I want the Dark Iron to have a unit that really exemplifies how the Dark Iron are underhanded and not honorable. While the Bronzebeard and Wildhammer are more honorable, the Dark Iron don't care for honor and do what ever is needed to win. He'd be a stealth unit, and could possible even be a caster because most races have 3 while I only have 2 for the Dwarves not including this guy.

The next would be a Sorcerer or a Warlock. I want a unit that captures the magic side of the Dark Iron outside of the leader. He'd probably more about harming and debilitating the enemy than supporting your troops.

The last unit would be the Golem which would be a big bruiser like the Tauren of Warcraft 3.

Wildhammer

I haven't though about the Wildhammer as much but these are my general ideas.

First is the mid range fighter that I already listed, he'd probably throw hammers or axes.

The next unit would be a Wildhammer Shaman which would be a support caster with a heal ability.

The next unit would quite obviously be the Gryphon Rider. I wouldn't want him changed from his Warcraft 3 self. One thing that I'm thinking of is making him created from merging a Gryphon and the above mentioned unit.

I haven't thought of another unit that they could have, but I'm thinking that a gryphon might make the most sense. The only problem with this is that it makes the Dwarves have 12 units which would be more than the other races.

So while I think there are some problems with the current set up that I have I think the Dwarves could make up their own faction.

One thing that I think could be different is that instead of 3 different paths I just make it 2 paths and make the Wildhammer available to both paths after upgrading their Hold. This could possibly make it a little less clunky.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Slowpokeking

Can we have Scourge in WC4? If we do I can design their units.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Elune

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Can we have Scourge in WC4? If we do I can design their units.
Go ahead, no limits on your imagination unless you want them. I limited myself somewhat by trying to make the Dwarves fit with Warcraft III, which is what I'm asuming War4 will be like.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Footman

Me gusta. Well thought-out post!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM

World Builder

Runes

I'm hoping for a WC4 that's set in the past so Mogu army. I'll add in abilities later.

"Racials" in the same vein as WC3 Orcs "Pillage" and Undead "Blight"

- Metallic Flesh: Mogu units start with a higher base armor and magic than other units. (Essentially they start with their tier 1 and have a 4th tier to research)
- Slavery: Mogu slaves function slowly unless brutality/slave manacle upgrades are researched whereupon they work faster than normal.
- Spiritbinding: Mogu constructs do not count towards the food limit, rather they cost much stone(gold) and are built slowly.

Units:

Heroes:

Mogu Warlord: Stone Quilen - Summons stone Quilen units, Bloodcrush - ,

Korune Spellreaver: Hatespike- direct damage spell, Wrathflow- aoe buff to allies damage, Fearwell - aoe damage and debuff,

Saurok Fleshripper:

Stoneborn Annihilator:

Standard:
Pandaren Slave: Worker: No attack, but can set down a keg of brew to refresh units.

Basic melee: Gormali Brutalizer - Ire ability makes it do extra damage, but with a greater chance to miss.

Secondary melee: (no basic ranged) Saurok Ravager. Leap ability lets it move closer to enemy units, and

Primary caster: Shan'ze Spiritbinder. Gains stat buff from nearby dying units, can call angry spirits, and can speed the creation of Terracotta and Darkjade soldiers.

Secondary caster: Harthak Stormcaller. Can cast Bolt and Thundercloud, a high direct damage and AoE damage spell respectively.

Siege: Stormhowl cannon: Can set to do high damage to buildings but cannot move while doing so. (Think Terran Siegetank) or create a spread attack that affects large groups of melee units.

Heavy Melee: Kargesh Fireguard. Passive ability causes its attacks to do bonus firedamage.

Unique: Gurthani Scrapper. Summons Quilen unit.

Summonable: Quilen unit can lunge, stunning target unit.

Construct 1: Terracotta soldier

Construct 2:

(Geez the mogu didn't have any fliers until recently when they started corrupting cloud serpents huh?)

Buildings:

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 01-25-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Perhaps going even further back into the past, I wonder about having a faction for Azj'Aqir before the Sundering, meaning it would be Qiraji, Nerubian, and Mantid units all working together.

Buildings would be stationary, and vary between two types: hives that produce units (which would build quickly and produce units quickly, but also have relatively few hit points) and ziggurats/monoliths (which take longer to build but are more resilient) that provide upgrades and area defense.

Another quirk of the Aqir is that they deal less damage to buildings, and don't have many units like Meat Wagons that are designed to counter buildings. The reason is because of the Infest ability, Aqir want to preserve captured buildings in order to cut down on their own resource cost. (This also is consistent with the part where the Mantid and Qiraji have historically been contained by walls.)

That being said, Colossus and/or Kunchong would be a useful unit to have when you absolutely need to destroy some buildings.

Heroes:

Mantid Blade Lord: pretty much the Mantid equivalent of Orc Blademaster.

Nerubian Grand Vizier: Has the normal Nerubian tricks like Web Wrap but is also an offensive caster.

Qiraji Champion: Burly Qiraji Gladiator, meaning Ogre-like in strength and speed.

Qiraji Prophet: Defensive caster, but also rolls a lot of mind control.

Units:

Silithid Drone: Builder unit. No offensive ability, but can Infest enemy structures, which reduces the cost of building a hive on top of that structure.

Mantid Shocktroopers: Basic melee unit.

Nerubian Spellweaver: Ranged caster unit.

Qiraji Gladiator: Burly melee unit. The Grapple ability lets them pick up smaller melee units, throwing them a distance away and dealing damage. As such, a Gladiator rush would constantly push back a defending team of footmen.

Colossus/Kunchong: Slow-moving bruiser unit. The Charge ability lets them clear distance quickly and does aggravated damage to buildings.

I'm not reserving this concept: if anyone else has got Aqir/Mantid/Nerubian/Qiraji concepts for a faction, feel free to throw down.

EDIT: I'd argue that, depending on how far in the past we go, it might predate the Aqir assaulting the Tol'vir holdings in southern Kalimdor and corrupting the Obsidian Destroyers to their own purpose, meaning an Aqir faction at this stage wouldn't have the Obsidian Destroyers, or Anubisath/Horusath mobs. That being said, having a Watcher faction consisting of Tol'vir, Mogu, Iron Dwarves/Vrykul/Giants and populated with Watcher Temples as buildings could be a fun experiment.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Last edited by MisterCrow; 01-24-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM

The Sun King

To encompass more races, I have decided to use the idea of "skins". Instead of making a lot of different factions (thus giving a hard time for balancing), I'd propose five factions, but with different "skins", or models, that would be used depending on the situation.

The vanilla game would have five main factions that can differ based on "skins": the Alliance, the Horde, the Sentinels, the Undead and... um, let's call them "The Wizards". I'll explain later.

The Alliance's base form is an alliance of humans, dwarves and worgen. Alternate forms are the Khaz Modan version and the human-only version. In my vision, the Alliance is a technological faction, that completely traded swords & magic for bayonets and gunpowder.

Their main hero, human Paladin, remains mostly the same, but, like all heroes, has three "talant trees" which are chosen at the 1st level and regulate how the stats will change throughout leveling and what will the Ultimate ability be. Other heroes include the dwarven Mountain King, the human High Priest, and the Gilnean Gunslinger (rogue hero, did not decide on worgen form yet). Human-only version changes Mountain King into the Dark Knight, dwarf-only simply has gnome gunslinger and the dwarf version of other mentioned heroes.

The Alliance starts with human musketeers as their infantry - good early shooter, medium range, good critical chance against unarmored, but weak defense. They can be upgraded on the second level of townhall into either fusiliers, who have higher range and critical and are armed with bayonets for better chances in melee, or, if you wait for the third level and build stables, into dragoons, who don't have the higher range, but are well defended instead, good in melee and have the "mounted infantry" ability - a dragoon can mount a horse, greatly increasing his movement speed, but he has only one single-use "fast shot" ability while mounted, and to continue fighting has to dismount.

Their second unit is a dwarven/Gilnean rifleman, who requires a forge and starts with a higher attack and better range radius than a musketeer. The unique human upgrade requires a lumbermill, a keep, and at least one farm and is called jäger. Jäger uses a sabre instead of a bayonet, but is otherwise light defended, however, he also has the "meld" ability, allowing to become invisible while moving in a short radius near the trees. The dwarven upgrade is the dark iron heavy flamethrower, with shorter attack radius, but higher defense, higher attack (and a passive ability that allows the flame to jump from one unit/building to another), but it requires a Castle and a workshop.

The elite barracks unit is a reiter - a heavy armored human knight mostly used in melee. However, he has a pistol to shoot nearby flying units and use the "caracole" ability, a horseback shot (however, it's not a single-use one like with the dragoons and the rider has to stop to make a shot).

I'll add more later...

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 01-25-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Those are cool ideas. I'm a huge fan of customization and choice, so I like how there are 'skins' and talent trees.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Those are cool ideas. I'm a huge fan of customization and choice, so I like how there are 'skins' and talent trees.
Thanks, Tim!

I'll continue with the Alliance

Like I said earlier, the Alliance mostly traded magic for technology. The basic "caster" unit will be a human/gnome medic, who doesn't even have mana! In fact, a medic can heal greatly, remove poison or decay status, and also has a nice melee attack (though unarmored defense and little hitpoints)! The catch? They can't heal units that attack or are being attacked. To do their thing effectively, medics must heal soldiers out of battle, or a player has to micromanage the units some more to break the aggro and take cover behind their peers to be healed by medics. When masterfully done, such tactics may earn one a never-ending supply of fresh soldiers! For those who prefer a classic take, may upgrade the medic into a priest, who can heal units in battle, dispel all debuffs but poison and blast people in distance, but sucks in the melee and is bounded to mana. But then, nobody forces you to upgrade a unit! You can leave them all medics, or you can upgrade some into priests and leave the others medics.

A more complex melee caster exists in form of Worgen Infiltrator or the Wildhammer Shaman. Both have the "mask" ability, that allows them to visually turn into human/dwarven peasants to fool their enemies. In this form they have a weaker attack and will not attack unless ordered, but they can't gather resources, construct buildings or repair technology like peasants do. The shaman can use "healing wave" to heal himself or one ally, "fury" to increase his attack spead and "enhancement" to enchant his weapons to deal addition random elemental damage for a short time. The worgen equivalents are "medpack", "rage" and "poisoned claws", the last one trades random type of elemental damage for a lasting poisoning.

The workshop produces falconet cannons. Long radius, hits like a tank, good against buildings, but it should evade melee like hell - the cannoneers will immediately stop shooting and defend themselves with sabres, and they are not very good in it... However, a cannon can be upgraded into a mighty steam tank. It's slow and doesn't do melee at all, and in fact needs a distance before shooting, but its armor is great and it won't stop shooting if attacked. The human-only alternative is horse artillery, still with little armor, but with great movement speed - best used with reiters and dragoons. While running away from an enemy, the canoneers will automatically shoot the pursuer with same strength as if they fought in a melee.

It also has dwarven/human bombard teams, with an even bigger attack range radius. A "demolition team" research allows them to place mines and blow themselves up for great damage.

The bombastic airships are a true rage against the heavens. These machines were built to scare the dragons themselves from the skies! Powerful attacks, good defense, but slow attack and movement speed. It also doesn't have good aim to fight swift land units, but has the bombardment ability to compensate.

In comparison, the gryphon riders are now the swifter kind of air unit. Alliance factions can also train gryphons without riders that can attack air units like hippogryphs, or even transport a single unit.

Human peasants can become musket-wielding minutemen for a short time (or, if you need a cheap shooter, you can use the ability "join militia" to let them stay minutemen forever). The dwarven equivalent is a worker that transforms into shieldguard militia, a classic melee type of militia.

In the expansion I would see an addition of Ultimate Units, a single strong unit that can exist only one at a time. The Alliance one would be a Titanic Watcher, performing both lightning magic and strong melee.

Overall, the Alliance has medium micromanagement requirements and the faction's main need is good organization of economy, because most of their best units require a lot of resources, both gold, lumber and, on the third tier, oil. They'll probably have some of the best ships too, but I'm not in the ship mood right now.

Coming soon, The Wizards faction!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Eternal

I've always liked the idea of having a WC4 set in ancient times with races such as the Night elves, trolls, vrykul, pandaren, mogu and aqir (depending on the period).

Alternatively, Draenor could be used as a setting with Orcs, Ogres, Draenei and Arakkoa.

Last edited by RobLore; 01-25-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Elune

I like the alternate skins idea as well, especially in factions that have multiple races rather than focusing on one.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM

The Digger

Okay, so I had an idea a bit like Erthad's. Using dwarves as an example, each clan is a different path you can follow, but unlike with Erth's idea in mine each is a self-contained faction that exists mutually exclusive to the other clans. As you progress through the game you develop along one of three tech trees, with a finite amount of cumulative progress you can make in all of them, meaning that you can either go all the way with one tech tree or one third of the way with all three. The most powerful units are, of course, only available to those who fully commit to just one sub-faction.

Here's a roster of units I came up with for the three (forgive me if the descriptions get a bit purple in places, I blame sleep deprivation):

Quote:
Bronzebeard: Technological and heavily armored, the Brozebeard dwarves draw from the heavy infantry of Ironforge, the mountaineers of Khaz Modan, the titanic knowledge of the explorer’s league, and the technological expertise of Gnomeregan.

Infantry: Ironforge guard. A stout, heavily armored defender of Khaz Modan, what these dwarves lack in agility they make up for in stubborn defensiveness.

Ranged: Mountaineer. These blunderbuss-wielding sharpshooters have mastered the art of cliff scaling, and can climb up sheer walls that would stymie most land-bound units.

Air: Flying machine. Designed by gnomes and piloted by dwarves, these aeronautical marvels can be built for either air-to-air dogfights or carpet bombing foes on the ground.

Defensive support: Repair-bot. Quirky and awkward looking, these sway-stepped little robots have little to recommend them in combat but more than make up for it with their unparalleled capacity to repair buildings, mechanical units, and even damaged arms and armor.

Offensive support: Gnomish saboteur. Their small size and cheery disposition has fooled many a foe into underestimating the small folk of Gnomeregan, a mistake they quickly come to regret once they realize the damage an unassuming stature and tinkering fingers can do to their structures and vehicles.

Siege support: Mortar team. If there is one thing dwarves love more than booze it’s booms, and the mortar team is happy to oblige. Raining fiery death from afar, a team of mortars has destructive potential unmatched by all but the strongest of mages.

Ultimate: Siege engine. With a cannon on top, a ram in front, flamethrowers on the side, there really no safe direction from which to attack a dwarven siege engine. Less of a vehicle than a fortress on wheels, the siege engine is both an unstoppable force and an unmovable object in one terrifying package.

Melee hero: Mountain King. Wielding a battleaxe in one hand and a warhammer in the other, the Mountain Kings of Ironforge combine their nearly unmatched physical prowess with a deep connection to their titanic heritage and the earth itself.

Ranged hero: Gnomish tinker. Capable of assembling a turret at a moment’s notice, and constantly surrounded by a legion of mechanical minions, the Tinker is an army all of their own. When not assembling a massive mass of mechanical malice they are more than capable of getting in a few hits of their own with their arm-mounted lightening cannons.

Support hero: Explorer. Scholars of ancient titanic knowledge, the rough and tumble members of Ironforge’s prestigious Explorer’s Guild prove that there’s more to academia than stuffy libraries and abandoned tombs. Using repurposed titan technology an Explorer can heal their allies, teleport from one location to another, and even awaken dormant titanic potential in their allies all while defending themselves with well-practiced fisticuffs.

Wildhammer: Wild and mobile, the Wildhammer dwarves combine shamanism, gryphon riding, and fiery temperaments that gave their clan its name into one rowdy, fierce whole.

Infantry: Warbrand. Wielding two hammers and a size ten temper packed into a size four body, the warbrands of the Wildhammer clan are lightly armored by hit like an angry ram.

Ranged: Stormhammer. Disregarding the rather more conventional throwing axe, the Wildhammer Stormhammers prefer to send their namesake weapon flying at their foes, with just a wee bit of lightening added for flavor.

Air: Gryphon. The gryphons have been the companions to the Wildhammer Clan since time immemorial. These fierce flyers rule the skies, and have a pride to match, but if a dwarf can win a gryphon’s respect they’ll never find themselves a more loyal mount.

Defensive support: Battle-healer. Using shamanic magics of the earth and the blessings of their ancestors a battle healer supplements their medical duties with the occasional reminder that they don’t just carry a mace for looks.

Offensive support: Skald. While some dwarves scream battle cries in the midst of carnage the Wildhammer skald sings ancient ballads of legendary dwarven heroes to inspire and empower their fellows.

Siege support: Earthshaker. The very earth itself bucks and heaves at the command of the earthshaker, the works of mortals crumbling to dust as their very foundations are rejected by the stone.

Ultimate: Grypon rider. True masters of the skies, the gryphon riders of the Wildhammer Clan make even the dragons fear to fly. Rending talons and crackling storm hammers make the gryphon rider a flying terror to those above and below, a storm of blood and thunder bearing down on the foes of the Wildhammer.

Melee hero: Berserker. Filled with booze and fury, and wielding a battleaxe larger than they are tall, Berserkers are the end result of several thousand years of pent-up dwarven anger. Practically unarmored, these invective-screaming hellions crash into their foes with abandon, any pain lost in a haze of drunken rage.

Ranged hero: Thane. A thundering crash and the beat of wings is all that warns foes of the doom bearing down upon them. They are Gryphon riders of unparalleled skill and ferocity, capable of bringing even the mightiest foes low with their hammers.

Support hero: Shaman. The Wildhammer shamans are elemental power incarnate. Wielding lightening, biting cold winds, and shuddering earth, the shaman is as capable of stunning their foes into submission are they are of healing their allies.

Dark Iron: Sinister and sorcerous, the Dark Iron dwarves rely on powerful magics to bombard their foes from afar and animate golems to fight up-close.

Infantry: Golem. Inscribed with ancient runes, and given life by the molten magics glowing forth from their hollow eyes, Dark Iron golems are lumbering brutes of incredible endurance but unadmirable dexterity.

Ranged: Pyromancer. These ashen casters combine explosive pyrotechnics with smoldering curses, burning their foes from within and without.

Air: I honestly have no bloody clue here. Any help guys?

Defensive support: Geologist. Fortifications rise from the ground at the geologist’s command, both shielding allies and impeding foes as the earth bucks and heaves under their control.

Offensive support: Mole machine. The spiraled vanguard to a Dark Iron invasion, mole machines allow the Dark Iron army to effortlessly bypass even the most extensive of obstacles, and to stage shocking ambushes.

Siege support: Battering golem. Massive, cumbersome constructs with powerful fists and titanic might. These towering war machines are too slow for battle, but possess enough crushing power to break even the greatest edifices down the gravel.

Ultimate: War golem. Though not quite to indomitably large as the battering golem, a war golem trades that small measure of bunt force for much greater agility and speed. While lesser golems rely on lumpy fists and slablike feet to attack, the war golem wields a massive sword a shield, moving about the battlefield with nearly organic grace while applying strength no mortal can match. This masterpiece of golemcraft is an awe-inspiring monument to death.

Melee hero: Molten Giant. Its shuddering footsteps leave pools of bubbling rock as this mobile volcano advances on the battlefield. The very air around it simmers with the barely-contained heat desperately trying to burst forth from its obsidian physique. When it strikes a foe it does not so much crush them as it does disintegrate them from the molten intensity of its touch.

Ranged hero: Fire Lord. What at first seems to be a raging tempest of flame contains within it the blistering malice of an elemental Lord. The Fire Lords are the rulers of the Firelands, beings of pure hate and heat desperate to acquire power through any means necessary. Though their size may be intimidating, it is nothing compared to the searing wrath they can inflict with the invocation of their elemental powers.

Support hero: Sorcerer-thane. These magocrats of the Dark Iron empire do not deign to confront their foes directly, that is the place of their lessers. Instead, they use their magical power, dark sorceries and ancient magics, to summon elementals to burn their enemies to ashes, and cauterizing ribbons of flame to solder shut the wounds of their subjects.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Hon hon hon

So, I choose to focus about the draeneï (and the Vrykul tomorrow). I don't have any clue of what their buildings could be, but here's the units. I want to be near the "army of heroes", so no constructs, nor beasts or siege engines, but only the wide specter of the draeneï's "tribes" (Lost Ones, Broken, and playable draeneï).

Racials :

- Faithful : as long as a Light caster/Death priest is near to them, the draeneï's units can't be feared
-Last of their Kind : the draeneï's unit are more strong and endurant that their counterparts in other factions, but their cost is higher.
-Draenor's legacy : every draeneï's unit could use -with a high cooldwon- a relic from Draenor, which boost them greatly for a few seconds.

Units:

Heroes:

Prophet: Pure caster, with only one average damaging spell, but a lot of useful buffs, a powerful heal, and a capacity which allow the player to see the nearby enemy base.

Ashtongue Deathsworn Shaman : a powerful mid-range caster, with some melee abilities. He don't have buff but spells which hurt his ennemies.

Lost One Assassin : a pure melee heroe, with poison, invisibility and low hp.

Argus Hand Triumvir : A powerful paladin, who can choose one of the three Triumvir (healer, tank, dps, basically).

Auchenaï High Priest : caster unit, the counterpart of the Prophet : a lot of debuff and only one damaging spell with higher than average effects.

Standard:
Broken's workers: Worker: Can attack and being upgraded in "Broken's warriors" which allow them to be more effective, but build more slowly than others workers.

Basic melee: Argus Hand vindicator. Last Stand allow him to survive for a short 2-3 seconds after the loss of his last hp.

Secondary melee: (no basic ranged) Lost One survivor. Camouflage, ability to run in dense terrain (forest, swamps, etc...) quicker attacks than the Vindicator. Can be upgraded to add poison on his weapons.

Primary caster: Aldor Priest. Buff, heal and use Purge to either cure the debuffs on friendly units or damage enemy units. Upgraded in High Priest, can use the ability "Beacon of Faith" which allow them to confere Last Stand to every draeneï unit in a certain range.

Secondary caster: Auchenaï Death Priest : can put debuff, have a fear spell and a direct damage spell. Upgraded in Dedicated Death Priest, can use the ability "Death is my ministery", which allow him to use temporary necromancy on friends and foes' corpses.

Siege: Draeneï Arcane's master: Can use powerful aoe spells, but mustn't move while using them, or use a really powerful spell which work on one target only.

Heavy melee : Ashtongue Champion. Highly armored Broken, with one hand weapon and shield. Can be upgraded in Ashtongue Deathsworn Champion, which allow him to use poison on his weapons and Last Stand.

Cavalry: Elekk Riders : Mounted warrior, who can use Charge, Impale and have a very big pool of hp. They also have Fury : higher damages, but lesser precision.

Unique: Naaru : a very powerful unit, which can buff, heal or use powerful Light infused spells. Obviously, the area of it's Faithful effect is a lot wider than even the Prophet's one.

About the flier unit, I must admit than I don't have any idea of what it could be. Maybe some netherdrake ?

Last edited by Korath; 01-25-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Well then, I'll add my own fanwank idea which I have slightly modified after reading a few idea of other people here and there::

The Protectorate

After the collapse of the Army of the Light in their failed invasion of Argus the former structures of the Alliance and the Horde have collapsed, creating new factions.
The Protectorate of Ashenvale formed as the Alliance started to wither after Varian's death and Anduin's passiveness against the Horde.
The Night elves have mended their relations with the Quel'dorei exiles who have created a new nation north east of Hyjal. The Draenei of Azurmyst have drasticly changed. Many of them broke with Velen and his fanatical devotees after the collapse of the Army of the Light. Joined by many of the Krokul from Outland and with a large group of Draenei who had splintered from Velen many thousand years ago. Velen took his most devote followers on the Exodar and left for the Dark Beyond in search of his masters who disappeared. Though still deeply devoted to the light, this group of Draenei believe that the Light shines the brightest from within, seeing the worship of the Naaru as pointless.
The structure of the former Sentinel army changed as most of the Ancients and wisps were lost during the constant warfare since the Third war.

The idea I had were to have alternatives of each type of unit, so that you could make almost an entire army of Draenei and Krokul if one chose to.

The Krokul Worker serves as builder unit for the Protectorate. Wisps are used for gathering resources.

Food production:
Moonwell farm:
High elf and Draenei botanists and magi found an effective way of using moonwells to quickly grow vegetables and fruit trees, effectively feeding the population and army.

Unit buildings:

Hunters Lodge:
Ranged unit:
The Protectorate uses Night elf archer or High elf archer as base units, having a quick toggle between prduction of them. for an added price they can produce Draenei Marksman instead, a little stronger unit but with a higher upkeep.
Infantry unit:
The Elven Swordman, cosmetically either as a Night elf or High elf male, can be changed into the Krokul brute, slow but tough and more expensive.
Heavy unit:
The Huntress, a fast, ranged unit. Can be changed into the High elf Lancer, a little stronger melee unit or the Draenei Vindicator who rides a mighty Elekk, a very strong but expensive unit.

The Mystic Halls:
Siege unit:
Glaive thrower as main siege unit.
Defensive caster:
Main unit is the Night elf Druid. Can be changed into the high elf priest or the Draenei Anchorite.
Offensive caster:
Main unit is the Night elf High druid who can shape change into several forms. Can be changed to the High elf or Draenei Arcanist.
The Ancients Grove:
Aerial unit:
Hippogryph servs as the main anti-air aerial unit, can be combined with the Archer or for a stronger versatile ranged unit.
Heavy special unit:
Ancient of War destroys it's enemies with crushing blows and massive boulders. This is a very strong unit.

Altar of the Elders:
Hero units:
Priestess of the Moon:
Guided by Elune, she brings swift death to her enemies with the power of the moon and her great bow.
High elven Archmage:
A master of magic, he brings destruction through fire, ice and pure arcane forces on his swift elven steed.
Draenei Exarch:
This mighty Exarch shows no mercy to his foes as he crushes them with his mighty crystal hammer.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 01-27-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
About the flier unit, I must admit than I don't have any idea of what it could be. Maybe some netherdrake ?
Sha'tari Skyguard: Airborne artillery riding on the backs of nether rays. Netherdrake riders are a possibility, but consider that the Netherdrakes couldn't have come into existence before the Second War, because they're Deathwing's offspring. So in a pre-Dark Portal scenario, netherdrakes wouldn't have existed on Draenor. Nether rays, however? Seem to have been there the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
(Geez the mogu didn't have any fliers until recently when they started corrupting cloud serpents huh?)
If you look back at the Horde in WC2, they didn't come up with any flying units themselves; they hired Goblin Zeppelins from the cartels and didn't get offensive air until they captured Alexstrasza. The reason I bring this up is because the idea of having a faction that doesn't have flying units has to come up with other methods of getting to non-ground accessible targets. With the mogu, I feel like that solution is "Slaves, build me a fuckin' staircase."

Last edited by MisterCrow; 01-26-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Nether rays, however? Seem to have been there the whole time.
Probably not.

In Unbroken Nobundo tells us that after the Shattering of Draenor many species died out but others which were never a part of the world before showed up, I'd wager that Nether Rays would be one such species.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 AM

Hon hon hon

Indeed, the Nether Rays seem unlikely to originate from Draenor, they probably mutated after Outland's birth. Anyway, "my" draeneï faction come after the dark portal opening. But about the flier, maybe some Sabellian's drake could do the trick, with a good deal : the draeneï protect Sabellian's brood, and they get some drake who fight with them.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Indeed, the Nether Rays seem unlikely to originate from Draenor, they probably mutated after Outland's birth. Anyway, "my" draeneï faction come after the dark portal opening. But about the flier, maybe some Sabellian's drake could do the trick, with a good deal : the draeneï protect Sabellian's brood, and they get some drake who fight with them.
Not a bad solution. In an Outland circumstance, though, and with the precedent of the Sha'tari Skyguard, nether rays could still work as a concept. (though admittedly I don't really know how they really move...)

Old 01-26-2013, 02:35 AM

Hmm, done several race ideas for wc4 (well, rather for wc3) in the past, draenei being one of them.

Sooo, I had actually an Elekk as a siege weapon for the draenei, based on the Elekk Demolishers in shadowmoon valley used by the ashtongue.

And the Exarch (paladin hero) was the token mounted hero.

Maybe later I could post some of my notes I've made in the past.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 AM

The Sun King

Note that the Draenei used purple salamanders as siege weapons in WC3.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Note that the Draenei used purple salamanders as siege weapons in WC3.
Meh, Elekks are more iconic

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.

Last edited by handclaw; 01-26-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Sooo, I had actually an Elekk as a siege weapon for the draenei, based on the Elekk Demolishers in shadowmoon valley used by the ashtongue.
Anyone who ever fought the Persians in AoE II just felt a chill go down their spine.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Eternal

Each race should be separate.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
Each race should be separate.
If we're talking about each race have the same level of uniqueness of both art-style and gameplay as the races in WC3, that sounds... exceedingly difficult.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
If we're talking about each race have the same level of uniqueness of both art-style and gameplay as the races in WC3, that sounds... exceedingly difficult.
But not impossible. For example, give Humans musketeers who fire very slowly, but deal high damage, and give dwarves rifleman who fire fast but do less damage, etc.

However, I still feel that while Warcraft in the future should be more advanced than now,the medieval feel shouldn't go. Let Footman still be used, and let the reason be that their armour protects them from gunpowder.

Tags
fanwank, rts, warcraft, wololo