Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Rise of the Horde Timeline

I am opening this thread to discuss this further and not to occupy the other thread.

This is my timeline of the Rise of the Orcs events. I didn't include the prologue with the Eredars corruption, since I only wanted to focus on the orcs. The Timeline is based on dates told in Christie Golden's "Rise of the Horde", Unbroken, Warcraft Legends and the Cipher Questline in Burning Crusade.

It might not be fully correct, so I open for suggestions.

Quote:
Ten Years before the First War:

Spring:

Durotan and Orgrim Doomhammer become friends at Kosh'harg Festival in Nagrand.

Summer:

Durotan and Ogrim are saved from an Ogre by a Draenei Patrol led by Restalaan in Terokkar. They are brought to Telmor were they meet Velen.

Late-Summer/Fall:

Durotan suceeds in his Initiation rite. He visits the Oshu'gun with Mother Kashur.

Five Years before the First War:

Fall:

Durotan meets Draka at the Kosh'harg Festival.He proposes to her. First she turns him down, but a few days later after their hunt shes grees to marry him.

Talgath discovers Draenor and scouts it out for Kil'jaeden. Kil'jaeden prepares his plans to destroy the Draenei.

Mother Kashur and Garad are killed during a Hunting Party. Durutan becomes the next Frostwolf Chieftain and Drek'thar the new Elder Shaman

Late Fall:

Ner'zhul is visited by a fake vision of his late wife Rulkan, who tells him that the Draenei want to destroy the Orcs. The Other Clan Shaman have similar visions.

Ner'zhul calls for a meeting of the Clans and tells them about their new threat. The Orcs prepare for the war against the Draenei.

Four Years before the First War:

Spring:

The Clans begin to train for the war. Weapons are created and the communication between the clans is amplified.

The Blackrock Clan begins their first raids against Draenei Hunting Parties.

Ner'zhul meets Kil'jaeden for the first time.

Summer:

The Orcs Raids against the Draenei incraese. Velen decides to visit the Oshu'gun to have piece talk with Ner'zhul. He sends emissaries, who get killed. Ner'zhul commands Durotan to capture Velen. Durotan fulfills his wishes and capures Velen and his men, but then later decides to let Velen go. Two of the Ata'mal crystals get into the Orcs hands.

Three Years before the First War:

Late-Winter/Spring:

During the last months Orc Raids against the Draenei have increased once more. Ner'zhul becomes more and more doubts about the war and decides to commune with the ancestors at the Oshu'gun. He is confronted by Rulkan's spirit and learns of Kil'jaedens treachary. He is however betrayed by Gul'dan, who tells Kil'jaeden of Ner'zhuls discovery. Powerless, Ner'zhul has to see Gul'dans takeover. Kil'jeaden begins to train Gul'dan in Warlock Magic. The Elements begin to refuse to help the Orc Shamans.

Spring:

Gul'dan approches Blackhand and proposes his plans of the creation of the Shadow Council. Blackhand agrees. The first Blackrock Warlocks are trained.

More and more Orc Raiding parties get defeated or killed because of the Shamans failing powers. The Clans meet at the Oshu'gun to confront Ner'zhul. Gul'dan reveals the first Orc Warlocks to them and shows them their powers. The Clans agree to let their Shaman become Warlocks.

The Horde is founded. Blackhand is elected as the first Warchief.

Summer:

The Orc clans use Warlock magic frequently for their hunts and raids.

Blackhand orders the Clans to let his Blackrock Warlock "age" their children to get more Soldiers.

Durotan gets the Order to lead a raid against Telmor. Telmor gets destroyed and taken over by the Blackrock Clan.

The First Shadow Council Meetings take place.
The Construction of the Later Hellfire Citadel begins.

Fall:

Gul'dan suggest an alliance with the Ogre to Blackhand. Blackhand and his men attack Ogre camps in Blade's Edge Mountain and defeats them. The Ogre agree to join the Horde.
The Fell Corrruption begins to effect Draenors ecology. Less and less rain do fall.
The Contruction of the Citadel is finished. Blackhand orders the Clans to relocate to his base.

Guldan decides to ban Shamanism and uses the Cipher of Damnation to strip the bindings with the elements once and for all and raises the Vulcan now known as the Hand of Guldan. The Oshu'gun gets sealed and guarded by demons.

Two Years before the First War:

Spring:

The Fell Corruption of the lands increases. The Orcs skin slowly begins to turn green.
The Temple of Karabor is conquered by the orcs.

Late-Spring:

Gul'dan sends messages to the Clans for a new meeting at the Mountains. Durotan gets a secret warning of Gul'dans plans. Mannoroth is sommoned to Dreanor and spils his Blood into the pools of Karabor.

The Orcs assemble at the mountain, later known as Kil'jaeden's thrown. The Clans drink Mannoroth's blood and become fully corrupted. Only the Frostwolfs under Durotan refuse to drink the blood.

In the same night, Shattrath City is attacked and destroyed by the Orcs. After the destruction of their last Big City the Draenei go into hiding.
Kil'jaeden thinks that his plans have succeeded and leaves the Orcs to their fate.

Summer/Fall/Winter:

Orc raiding parties destroy some of the Draenei refugee camps. Draenei sighting become more and more seldom.

One Year before the First War:

Spring:

Gul'dan orders the Shadow Council to attack Auchindoun to find Magical Draenei artifacts to consume their power. They accidently free Murmur and blow up the Crypt Fortress. The surrounding forests are destroyed and the Bone Wastes are created.

Summer/Fall:

Hellfire Peninsula is fully desolated by fell magic and orcish overpopulation. More and more orcs are dieing because of starvation and illnesses. The Clans begin to fight each other.
Gul'dan is approached by Medivh and shows him visions of Azeroth.

Fall:

The Shadow Council is called together by Guldan to prepare the invasion of Azeroth.
The Construction of the Dark Portal begins. Guldans let the clans match each other in Arena fights to occupy them.

Year 0

The Contruction off the Dark Portal is finished. The Rift between Draenor and Azeroth is created by Guldan, his Warlocks and Medivh.
The Orcs begin to invade Azeroth and begin to settle in the Black Morass.
The First War begins.

Last edited by Vineyard; 02-28-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Sommer:

Durotan and Ogrimm are saved from a Grom
I can see two wrong things in there.

Otherwise it's a very well made timeline, though. Good work.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 AM

Arch-Druid

Whoops, corrected it.^^
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Faerie Dragon

cool mna- very educational
Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Whoops, corrected it.^^
A) Summer is spelled with an U.

B) The thing Orgrim and Durotan got saved from was an ogre, not a gronn.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Arch-Druid

That sounds pretty much perfect! Well done.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Arch-Druid

I've updated the Timeline and included the destruction of Auchidoun. I only used BTDP as source since it is the most recent source. (The Ingame Texts said Auchidoun was destroyed two years ago, but the book seemed to fixed it to twenty years, which would make more sense. Blizzard was sloppy with dates in BC anyway.)

Last edited by Vineyard; 06-29-2009 at 02:55 AM..
Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Sentinel Queen

Oh, neat little sum-up - like it, like it alot. As said, educational - wish there was more along these lines 'round here. Well. All one have to do is to write it, I guess...
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Thank you.^^

Well, as I said it was not easy to read out of books when things really have happened. I must admit that some dates are guesses.

Example: The Five Year gap between Durotans initiation and his proposal to Draka was based on the "A Warrior Made" Preview, were Draka was shown as a newborn, while Durotan was already a little boy.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 AM

Demon Hunter

Great timeline. Congrats on a successful completion of a project that involves warcraft and chronology.

Hmm...a thought just occurred to me: In regards to the artificial aging of some orcs to make more soldiers, maybe the reason that so many of the orcs during the first and second war seemed so, well, dumb (beyond the effects of the fel taint) was because they were just a bunch of little kiddies who got stuffed in grown, meth-addled bodies. Maybe they seemed like a mass of unwashed, illiterate, brutish thugs who didn't know how to play nice or share was because they were a bunch of toddlers who hadn't yet been taught how to wash or speak or read properly, much less the byzantine (for a tyke) workings of playground etiquette and why it's not polite to smash the skulls of the little kids (the humans)
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Thank you.^^

Well, as I said it was not easy to read out of books when things really have happened. I must admit that some dates are guesses.

Example: The Five Year gap between Durotans initiation and his proposal to Draka was based on the "A Warrior Made" Preview, were Draka was shown as a newborn, while Durotan was already a little boy.

Very good work. But I have to say sorry that this timeline failed to match the story just happened in WoW comic issue 21.

If the war between orcs and draeneis happened only few years before the openeing of the Dark Portal. There is no sense Garona can be involved in the first war. Else she would only be a girl not even older than 7 who assasinated King Llane. Make the whole event more like a joke.

Anyway, we all know Blizaard screwd up the timeline.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
Very good work. But I have to say sorry that this timeline failed to match the story just happened in WoW comic issue 21.

If the war between orcs and draeneis happened only few years before the openeing of the Dark Portal. There is no sense Garona can be involved in the first war. Else she would only be a girl not even older than 7 who assasinated King Llane. Make the whole event more like a joke.

Anyway, we all know Blizaard screwd up the timeline.

I never said that my timeline would be 100% correct.

However, the Garona issue in fact gave me to think.

The only explaination for the moment that I could find were these:

Garona was Gul'dan's "experiment". So he most likely used aging spells at her, as his Warlock have done with most of the Orc Children to increase the size of their army. (as was shown in Rise of the Horde)

Another fact is that Garona's mind is more filled with holes than a Swiss Cheese, thanks to Guldan's mindcontrol spells. According what we know, he really did everthing to make her past a mystery. Perhaps the next few issues will clear up some things.

Maybe I'm a bit to mild, but I really thing the best thing is to wait for more info. It is likely that i might missed some years.

An example is the Kosh'harg were Durotan met Draka. I first fought it was in the same year were his initiation was, but "A Warrior Made" in Warcraft Legends Vol. 4 proved me wrong. (It actually makes more sense now..)

Oh, another thing:

I will probatly finally make my Ashbringer Timeline this weekend. I wanted to make it for weeks, but I always was to buys with other things.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Great work, indeed. Some points:

-Auchindoun's fall... after Shattrath's?
-Hand of Gul'dan's creation should be mentioned.
-Finally, you should try naming all the possible characters and their involvement, like Restalaan being killed at Telmor.
-Focus on the draenei, too.

Also, other details, like Oger instead of Ogre and things like that should be fixed. Same for names like Garad. Stupid details like those shouldn't ruin a good work.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Garona was Gul'dan's "experiment". So he most likely used aging spells at her, as his Warlock have done with most of the Orc Children to increase the size of their army. (as was shown in Rise of the Horde)
Garona wasn't mentally a child though. She was said to be much more intelligent and experienced than other orcs, she knew multiple languages, etc.

Kind of sucks that they clear up all the timeline problems with Garona’s origin by confirming her as half-Draenei, then just go and fuck it all up again. Although… consider this:

So from the latest official timeline, WCII starts at year 6. We know those events were immediately preceded by the first war’s end. The opening of the Dark Portal and consequently the end of “Rise of the Horde” is listed as happening in year -1. So in those 7 years, the Horde went through and established their holdings and had all the battles and defeated the humans of Stormwind. So if Gul’dan took the forced cross-breeding action very, very early on and Garona was 17 at the end of the war it could maybe fit if the “Rise of the Horde” so to speak began 10 years before the opening of the Dark Portal. I’m not sure if specific dates and years were given in the novel, but I don’t recall any specifics. We know Warcraft novels, comics, and other stuff have a tendency to make long periods of time seem short by skipping around (Ashbringer and ToD come to mind).
Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
-Auchindoun's fall... after Shattrath's?
I wasn't sure, but based on Nerzhul's discription on BydP p. 275 it looked like it happenend after the Draenei civilization was already almost completly wiped out. It also almost seemed to me that Guldan has send the council because he had to distract and mostly because of the artifacts hidden in the Crypt Fortress.

Quote:
-Hand of Gul'dan's creation should be mentioned.
I thought I did it, with the Mentioning of the Cipher. Fixed.

Quote:
-Finally, you should try naming all the possible characters and their involvement, like Restalaan being killed at Telmor.
-Focus on the draenei, too.
Difficult, but I will see what I can do.

Quote:
Also, other details, like Oger instead of Ogre and things like that should be fixed. Same for names like Garad. Stupid details like those shouldn't ruin a good work.
@Ogre: Blame that I'm used to write in german. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
So from the latest official timeline, WCII starts at year 6. We know those events were immediately preceded by the first war’s end. The opening of the Dark Portal and consequently the end of “Rise of the Horde” is listed as happening in year -1. So in those 7 years, the Horde went through and established their holdings and had all the battles and defeated the humans of Stormwind. So if Gul’dan took the forced cross-breeding action very, very early on and Garona was 17 at the end of the war it could maybe fit if the “Rise of the Horde” so to speak began 10 years before the opening of the Dark Portal. I’m not sure if specific dates and years were given in the novel, but I don’t recall any specifics. We know Warcraft novels, comics, and other stuff have a tendency to make long periods of time seem short by skipping around (Ashbringer and ToD come to mind).
Well, their were some dates, but it is indeed very difficult to read through.
The only dates that I could find in RofH were these.

- Gul'dan mentioning that during the last 2 years the Orcs haved learned more than in 2 centuries. (RoTH p. 228, german issue)

- Durotan mentioning that during the last 3 years more Orcs died of starvation and deceases than during the Battles against the Draenei. (RoTH p. 246, german issue)

These dates can however be mistaken.

Last edited by Vineyard; 07-17-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Old 07-18-2009, 05:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I'll check those dates in my eng book to see if you are mistaken or not, but I recall them being right.

For Garona, we don't know. Gul'dan could have aged her, getting a different effect. After all, she wasn't 100% orc. He could have, also, added some of his wisdom and knowledge to her.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Huntress

I salute you, the loremasters of this forum. You have both my admiration and my sympathy.

Admiration for having the patience to wade through the oceans of largely conflicting canon, and deftly tracing a singular route through it, AND making it make sense.

Sympathy for attempting to make sense of the nonsensical and giving it the amount of time and respect that I'm quite sure its makers never did. I think you know WoW lore better than Blizzard does.

And because of all your efforts, you have my gratitude. Thank you, one and all.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Thanks for the commendation, but please don't necropost.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Did Vineyard ever make that Ashbringer timeline. That's one of the Warcraft subplots that I've barely had a look at and don't know the ins and outs.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Arch-Druid

I didn't.

I postponed it until a had more reliable informations and when I had them i had no time to do the timeline because of my exams.

I will try to finally make in during this week.

Last edited by Vineyard; 02-28-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Old 04-08-2018, 03:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Bumpy.

I finally realized, that I haven't posted the condensed corrected timeline, based on Chronicles II, that I posted here, into this topic.

The Old Timeline, that I made back in 09, was based the book, comic, shortstory and ingame lore we had past then. However, I was never really fully satisfied with it, since I felt that things happend just too fast.

Here is the timeline according to Chronicles, which is imo. a big improvement.

13 BDP: Orgrim and Durotan become friends
12 BDP: Talgath finds Dreanor.
10 BDP: Kil'jaeden contacts Gul'dan
8 BDP: Gul'dan is accepted into the Shadowmoon Clan. Begins to manipulate Ner'zhul
8-7 BDP: Gul'dan + Kil'jaeden manipulate the orcs into a war against the Draenai. The Horde is formed.
7 BDP: Diplomatic approaches by the Draenei fail. Velen orders fortifiing of the major Draenei settlements.
Ner'zhul finds out that he has been tricked and is overthrown by Gul'dan.
6 BDP: Gul'dan meets with Blackhand to ally with him and ask him to become Warchief. First Blackrock Warlocks are trained. The Shadow Council is formed.
5 BDP: Blackhand officially becomes the First Warchief of the Horde
4 BDP: Blackhand starts major assaults against the Draenei. Karabor falls. Fel Magic starts to deeply affect Dreanor,
3 BDP: The Orcs drink Manneroth's blood. Shattrath falls, Auchindoun is destroyed. Kil'jaeden abandones Gul'dan.
2 BDP: Draenai survivors flee into Telredor, which has managed to stay hidden. The First Broken appear.
With the Dreanei defeated, Blackhand orders thee Horde, attacking the Primals/Breakers and the Arakoa. They conquer most of Dreanor, but the spread of Fel Magic more and more destroys Draenor Wild Life. On the brink of famine, the orcs begin to attack each other.
1 BDP: Medivh contacts Gul'dan.